What’s covered under your GMC factory warranty, and what’s the best way to protect your investment after it expires?
Whether you are looking for a new GMC, thinking of purchasing one used, or currently own a GMC, protecting your investment should be top of mind.
New GMC vehicles come with an industry-standard, no-deductible, bumper-to-bumper warranty that’s in effect for a period of 36 months/36,000 miles, whichever comes first. In addition, General Motors Company offers a limited 5-year or 60,000-mile powertrain warranty, as well as additional limited warranties and services detailed below.
In this article:
- GMC Warranty Coverage
- What Isn’t Covered Under Your GMC Factory Warranty?
- Why Do We Recommend Getting An Extended Warranty?
- GMC Extended Limited Warranty
- GMC Platinum Protection
- The Best Extended Warranty Protection For Your GMC
While this industry-standard warranty is comprehensive, it’s important to understand its limitations and other long-term ownership considerations, so that you can protect yourself from unforeseen costs after the original factory warranty expires.
Use the tool below to get free quotes from the best providers we recommend for your GMC vehicle:
Read on for a full breakdown of the GMC warranty and our recommendation for extended warranties. We’ll also fully explain the differences between GMC extended warranties offered at dealerships and those that can be purchased from reputable third parties.
GMC Warranty Coverage
The General Motors Company offers new car owners a fairly comprehensive factory warranty that provides financial security against unexpected repairs but only for the first few years of ownership.
|New Vehicle Limited Warranty||
GMC provides “bumper-to-bumper” comprehensive coverage for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. This means almost all of the vehicle is protected, with just a short list of exclusions.
|Powertrain Limited Warranty||
This warranty covers powertrain components like the engine, transmission, and driveline for 5 years or 60,000 miles.
GMC offers protection from elemental rust formation on sheet metal for a period of 3 years or 36,000 miles. This protection is designed to protect against rust from the outside moving inside.
GMC offers protection from rust and corrosion on sheet metal that spread inside to outside for 6 years or 100,000 miles. This coverage does not include rust from road salts, etc.
24/7 roadside assistance is available throughout the 5-year/60,000-mile warranty period.
Whenever warranty repairs are needed, several transportation options and/or reimbursement of certain transportation expenses are available for your convenience.
What Isn’t Covered Under Your GMC Factory Warranty?
Although the GMC factory warranty is comprehensive for a short period of time, it’s important to know not everything is covered. Typically, a warranty is in place to cover defects in quality, assembly, or workmanship and not things beyond the control of GMC, such as:
- Regular maintenance (oil, tire rotation, etc. )
- Tire defects (Tire manufacturers have their own warranty.)
- Damage caused by neglect
- Normal wear and tear items (brakes, tires, etc.)
Modern Car Systems Require Long-Term Protection
Modern vehicles are incredible machines that contain dozens and dozens of computer-controlled systems that are instrumental to the daily operation of a vehicle. Vehicles now stop themselves to avoid accidents, call for help when needed, and even allow users the ability to browse the internet while inside.
Beyond that, a vehicle’s central control system operates your vehicle’s entertainment systems, HVAC, and even (if so equipped) your vehicle's heated or cooled seats. These systems are incredibly complex and incredibly expensive – leading to potentially hefty repair bills down the line if you don’t have proper coverage.
The respected publication Consumer Reports includes a section for “In-Vehicle Electronics” in its reliability studies and notes the continued staggering rise in complaints from consumers.
Why does this all matter? Well, when looking at the long-term investment you make when purchasing a vehicle, it’s important to consider all possible scenarios in order to protect your investment. A GMC extended warranty will provide extra peace of mind after your factory warranties expire and can cover all vehicle components and systems – not just the systems that move the car down the road.
According to J.D. Power, General Motors Company ranks in the 22nd out of 32 in initial quality, placing it in the lower third of vehicle reliability amongst other manufacturers. Traditionally GMC has been known for its reliability and durability. However, in recent years, it has begun to slip in reliability ratings, especially amongst its popular SUV offerings.
Why Do We Recommend Getting An Extended Warranty?
An extended warranty for your GMC truck or SUV comes with something almost invaluable: peace of mind. It’s your protection against having to budget for additional repairs on your daily driver after the warranty expires. In many cases, one or two repairs covered by an extended warranty can pay for the entire cost of the warranty.
According to RepairPal, here are some common repairs on GMC Vehicles:
- Replace a transmission on a 2015 GMC Acadia is $4,503 to $4,589.
- Replace a water pump on a 2014 GMC Sierra is $556 to $621.
- Repair a head gasket on 2015 GMC Yukon is $968 to $2,659.
Remember those in-vehicle electronics mentioned earlier? Here the prices can become even more staggering. Take a look at 2015 GMC Yukon Infotainment System – the part alone is $1,395, and remember, it does not include installation, which will run an additional $250–$350.
Finding The Best Extended Warranty Provider
Whether you are ready to purchase a new or used GMC or already own a GMC, you have the option to purchase an extended warranty directly through a dealer or through reputable third parties. Word to the wise: caution must be taken, as not all warranties are created equal.
GMC offers extended protection through either its Extended Limited Warranty or the GMC Platinum Protection Plan. The Extended Limited Warranty is only available on new GMC vehicles, while the Platinum Protection Plan is available on new, used, and GMC vehicles.
GMC Extended Limited Warranty
GMC offers consumers the option of extending their “bumper-to-bumper” factory warranty during the new car purchase process through an Extended Limited Warranty.
- Offered on newly purchased GMC vehicles
- Extension bumper-to-bumper coverage
- Pushes coverage to 5 years/60,000 miles
- Not available in California, Florida, Maine, or Minnesota
- Pricing available only through dealer contact
GMC Platinum Protection
GMC offers its customers a vehicle service contract administered by third-party company AMT Warranty Corp. This extended warranty can be purchased from a GMC dealer and broken up into monthly payments or paid for up front.
- Offered on new, used, and currently owned GMC Vehicles
- The maximum length of term is 5 years/60,000 miles
- Not quite bumper-to-bumper coverage
- Deductible required to receive the repair services
- Silver-level coverage available (stated component coverage)
A key thing to keep in mind when looking at purchasing a GMC extended warranty through a dealership is how you will pay for it. Oftentimes, dealers will include the cost of such plans into the financing of the vehicle – meaning you’re paying interest. This interest can really add up over the course of the loan. Also, the GMC plans are limited in what they cover or the length of time that they cover your car.
GMC Platinum Protection Pricing
Pricing for GMC’s Platinum Protection Plan varies based on vehicle type, location, and coverage length.
We pulled a few pricing examples for a 2019 GMC Acadia with all-wheel drive in Nevada:
- 24 months/24,000 miles: $1,543
- 36 months/36,000 miles: $2,451
- 48 months/48,000 miles: $3,197
- 60 months/60,000 miles: $3,153
After our analysis of these factory plans, we believe that third-party companies like Endurance, CARCHEX, and CarShield offer owners much more customization and comprehensive coverage choices. These companies offer more customizable plans to fit your budget while offering the protection to help ensure your peace of mind.
The Best Extended Warranty Protection For Your GMC
Endurance: 5.0 Stars
In our review of the best extended warranty providers, Endurance came out on top. The company offers direct-to-consumer extended warranties. This means that, unlike many third-party brokers in the extended warranty industry, warranty services all come directly from Endurance, and the company handles all claims directly. There’s no middleman or underwritten provider.
Excellent customer service during the quote and claims processes is a focus of many positive Endurance warranty reviews. Just a few benefits
- High-mileage coverage: Endurance plans can cover up to 200,000 miles, meaning your car is covered well into its golden years, when the most expensive repairs are often needed.
- Flexibility on repair facilities: Endurance allows customers to have their cars serviced at any ASE-certified technician – meaning you can choose from more than 30,000 certified repair shops across the country.
- Money-back guarantee: If you’re not happy with your Endurance plan, you can cancel within the first 30 days of purchase.
CARCHEX: 4.5 Stars
When we took a look at CARCHEX, we loved the number of options for customization throughout the five levels of tiered coverage plans. The plans range from comprehensive bumper-to-bumper coverage, right on down to the most basic components required to keep your car running smoothly.
CARCHEX has a highly reputable customer service department and has achieved a prestigious Better Business Bureau accreditation along with an A+ rating. It was our pick for Best Service provider.
Purchasing an extended warranty through CARCHEX also comes with several other perks:
- Your choice of repair facilities: All CARCHEX plans allow you to select from more than 30,000 certified repair shops across the country. The company pays your claim up front, never forcing you to front the money for the repair
- Emergency roadside assistance: Every CARCHEX plan comes with 24/7 roadside assistance. This includes allowances for towing and rental cars, trip interruption services, gas delivery, and more.
- Outstanding customer care: CARCHEX prides itself on its customer-centric approach and will never hassle or use high-pressure tactics to force a decision. CARCHEX representatives are trained to consult potential customers, identifying and outlining the details of the best plan options for them based on their needs and their budget.
CarShield: 4.5 Stars
CarShield offers the type of flexibility that modern consumers demand and has proved to be an increasingly popular choice over the last 14 years. In fact, over one million consumers have trusted their car protection to CarShield. Its extended warranty plans span six levels of coverage, from comprehensive bumper-to-bumper coverage to coverage for basic powertrain components.
CarShield has an incredible number of online reviews from customers all over the country. Based on our own comprehensive research, here are a few of the perks:
- Month-to-month contracts: Many of the company’s plans are month-to-month, making it much easier to work the warranty into your budget. (That's one reason we named it our Best Value provider.)
- Claims paid directly to repair facilities: Like Endurance and CARCHEX, CarShield pays claims directly to auto repair facilities, so there is no need for you to front your hard-earned cash.
- Coverage for high-tech components: CarShield offers additional security with its High Tech coverage. These plans protect your GMC’s state-of-the-art systems, including the engine control module and navigation, and electrical components like the factory audio, alternator, power window controls, and more.
Honorable Mentions: Third-Party Warranty Companies
Although we find Endurance, CARCHEX, and CarShield to be the best option for your extended GMC protection, several other providers also provide a worthy product. Get quotes from these providers as you’re comparing brands.
|GMC Extended Warranty||CARCHEX||Endurance||CarShield|
|Max Length of Coverage||5 years/60,000 miles||10 years/150,000 miles||20 years/200,000 miles||250,000 miles|
|# of Plan Options||2||5 (16 contracts)||5||6|
|Trip Interruption||✔||✔||✔ (with Endurance Elite Membership, free for 1 year)||✔|
|Roadside Assistance||✔||✔||✔ (with Endurance Elite Membership, free for 1 year)||✔|
|Repair Network||GMC dealers only||> 30,000 facilities nationwide||ASE-Certified® repair facilities||ASE-Certified® repair facilities|
|Cancellation Policy||Refund if within 60 days||Refund if within 30 days||Refund if within 30 days||Refund if within 30 days|
|Availability||From local dealer||Free, instant quote||Free, instant quote||Free, instant quote|
|Contact your GMC Dealer for Pricing||
Read our guides to other warranty providers: