Whether you are looking for a new GMC, thinking of purchasing one used, or currently own a GMC, protecting your investment should be top of mind. A GMC extended warranty is one way to do so.
New GMC vehicles come with an industry-standard, no-deductible, bumper-to-bumper warranty that’s in effect for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. In addition, GM offers a limited 5-year/60,000-mile powertrain warranty, as well as additional limited warranties and services detailed below.
While this industry-standard warranty is comprehensive, it’s important to understand its limitations and other long-term ownership considerations so that you can protect yourself from unforeseen costs after your vehicle's original factory warranty expires. Our review team has researched the best extended auto warranty providers currently available. We recommend clicking below to get free quotes from the top providers for your GMC vehicle.
Read on for a full breakdown of the GMC warranty and our recommendation for extended warranties. We’ll also fully explain the differences between GMC extended warranties offered at dealerships and those that can be purchased from reputable extended car warranty companies.
In this article:
- GMC Extended Warranty Options
- Why Do We Recommend Getting A GMC Extended Warranty?
- GMC Warranty Coverage
- The Best Extended Warranty Protection For Your GMC
GMC Extended Warranty Options
Whether you are ready to purchase a new or used GMC or already own a GMC, you have the option to purchase a GMC extended warranty directly through a dealer or through reputable third parties. Word to the wise: caution must be taken, as not all extended auto warranties are created equal.
GMC offers extended protection through either its Extended Limited Warranty or the GMC Platinum Protection Plan. The Extended Limited Warranty is only available on new GMC vehicles, while the Platinum Protection Plan is available on new and used GMCs.
|GMC Extended Warranty||Coverage Terms|
|Extended Limited Warranty||5 years / 60,000 miles|
|Platinum Protection Plan||2 years/24,000 miles to 5 years/60,000 miles|
GMC Extended Limited Warranty
GMC offers drivers the option of extending their “bumper-to-bumper” factory warranty during the new car purchase process through an Extended Limited Warranty.
Here are a few key details:
- Offered only when you purchase your vehicle
- Is an extension of your factory bumper-to-bumper coverage
- Pushes coverage to 5 years/60,000 miles
- Not available in California, Florida, Maine, or Minnesota
- Pricing available only through dealerships
- Transferable to a new owner if you sell your vehicle
GMC Platinum Protection
GMC also offers its customers a vehicle service contract administered by third-party company AMT Warranty Corp. This GMC extended warranty option can be purchased from a dealer or online, and it can and broken up into monthly payments or paid for upfront.
Here's what you need to know:
- Offered on new, used, and currently owned GMC vehicles
- Maximum contract length is 5 years/60,000 miles
- Not quite bumper-to-bumper coverage
- Deductible required to receive the repair services
- Transferable to new owners
- Two levels of coverage available: Platinum (exclusionary) and Silver (stated component)
A key thing to keep in mind when looking at purchasing a GMC extended warranty through a dealership is how you will pay for it. Oftentimes, dealers will include the cost of such plans into the financing of the vehicle – meaning you’re paying interest. This interest can really add up over the course of the loan. Also, these GMC extended warranty plans are limited in what they cover and the length of time that they cover your car.
GMC Platinum Protection Pricing
Pricing for GMC’s Platinum Protection Plan varies based on vehicle type, location, and coverage length.
We pulled a few pricing examples for a 2019 GMC Acadia with all-wheel drive in Nevada:
- 24 months/24,000 miles: $1,543
- 36 months/36,000 miles: $2,451
- 48 months/48,000 miles: $3,197
- 60 months/60,000 miles: $3,153
After our analysis of these factory plans, we believe that third-party companies like Endurance, CarShield, and CARCHEX offer owners much more customization and comprehensive coverage choices. These companies offer more customizable plans to fit your budget while offering the protection to help ensure your peace of mind. Plus, coverage can be much less expensive.
Why Do We Recommend Getting A GMC Extended Warranty?
A GMC extended warranty for your truck or SUV comes with something almost invaluable: peace of mind. It’s your protection against having to budget for costly repairs on your daily driver after the warranty expires. In many cases, one or two repairs covered by an extended warranty can pay for the entire cost of the warranty.
According to RepairPal, here are some common repairs on GMC Vehicles:
- Transmission replacement on a 2015 GMC Acadia is $4,503 to $4,589.
- Water pump replacement on a 2014 GMC Sierra is $556 to $621.
- Head gasket repair on a 2015 GMC Yukon is $968 to $2,659.
Take a look at the 2015 GMC Yukon Infotainment System – the part alone is $1,395, and remember, it does not include installation, which will run an additional $250–$350.
You should also consider your existing coverage when shopping for a vehicle service contract. A GMC extended warranty will only take effect after the factory warranty expires, so make sure you're not purchasing nonessential coverage.
Modern Car Systems Require Long-Term Protection
Modern vehicles are incredible machines that contain dozens and dozens of computer-controlled systems that are instrumental to the daily operation of a vehicle. Vehicles now stop themselves to avoid accidents, call for help when needed, and even allow users the ability to browse the internet while inside.
Beyond that, a vehicle’s central control system operates your vehicle’s entertainment systems, air conditioning, and even (if so equipped) your vehicle's heated or cooled seats. These systems are incredibly complex and incredibly expensive – leading to potentially hefty repair bills down the line if you don’t have proper coverage.
Consumer Reports includes a section for “In-Vehicle Electronics” in its reliability studies and notes the continued staggering rise in complaints from consumers.
Why does this all matter? Well, when looking at the long-term investment you make when purchasing a vehicle, it’s important to consider all possible scenarios in order to protect your investment. A GMC extended warranty will provide extra peace of mind after your factory warranties expire and can cover all vehicle components and systems – not just the systems that move the car down the road.
According to the J.D. Power 2020 U.S. Vehicle Dependability StudySM, General Motors Company ranks in the 28th out of 32 in initial quality, placing it in the lower third of vehicle reliability among other manufacturers. Traditionally, GMC has been known for its reliability and durability. However, in recent years, it has begun to slip in reliability ratings, especially among its popular SUV offerings.
GMC Warranty Coverage
As we mentioned above, it's best to consider the coverage your GMC already has. The manufacturer offers new car owners a fairly comprehensive factory warranty that provides financial security against unexpected repairs, but only for the first few years of ownership. Below, we've outlined the details of the GMC factory warranty.
What It Covers
|New Vehicle Limited Warranty||
GMC provides “bumper-to-bumper” comprehensive coverage for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. This means almost all of the vehicle is protected, with just a short list of exclusions.
|Powertrain Limited Warranty||
This warranty covers powertrain components like the engine, transmission, and driveline for 5 years or 60,000 miles.
GMC offers protection from elemental rust formation on sheet metal for a period of 3 years or 36,000 miles. This protection is designed to protect against rust from the outside moving inside.
GMC offers protection from rust and corrosion on sheet metal that spread inside to outside for 6 years or 100,000 miles. This coverage does not include rust from road salts, etc.
24/7 roadside assistance is available throughout the 5-year/60,000-mile warranty period.
Whenever warranty repairs are needed, several transportation options and/or reimbursement of certain transportation expenses are available for your convenience.
What Isn’t Covered Under Your GMC Factory Warranty?
Although the GMC factory warranty is comprehensive for a short period of time, it’s important to know not everything is covered. Typically, a warranty is in place to cover defects in quality, assembly, or workmanship and not things beyond the control of GMC, such as:
- Regular maintenance (oil, tire rotation, etc.)
- Tire defects (tire manufacturers have their own warranties)
- Damage caused by neglect
- Normal wear-and-tear items (brake pads, tires, etc.)
The Best Extended Warranty Protection For Your GMC
A GMC extended warranty from the manufacturer may not be the best choice for every driver. Often, third-party providers can offer more vehicle service contracts to choose from, additional in-contract repair facilities, and more affordable coverage overall. See below for our top-recommended providers.
Endurance: Best Coverage
In our review of the best extended warranty providers, Endurance came out on top. The company offers direct-to-consumer extended warranties. This means that, unlike many third-party brokers in the extended warranty industry, warranty services all come directly from Endurance, and the company handles all claims directly. There’s no middleman or underwritten provider.
Excellent customer service during the quote and claims processes is a focus of many positive Endurance warranty reviews. Just a few benefits include:
- High-mileage coverage: Endurance plans can cover up to 200,000+ miles, meaning your car is covered well into its golden years, when the most expensive repairs are often needed.
- Flexibility on repair facilities: Endurance allows customers to have their cars serviced at any technician certified by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE®) – meaning you can choose from thousands of certified repair shops across the country.
- Money-back guarantee: If you’re not happy with your Endurance plan, you can cancel within the first 30 days of purchase.
CarShield: Best Value
CarShield offers the type of flexibility that modern consumers demand and has proved to be an increasingly popular choice since opening its doors in 2005. In fact, over 1 million consumers have trusted their vehicle protection to CarShield. Its extended warranty plans span six levels of coverage, from comprehensive bumper-to-bumper coverage to coverage for basic powertrain components.
CarShield has an incredible number of online reviews from customers all over the country. Based on our own comprehensive research, here are a few of the perks:
- Month-to-month contracts: Many of the company’s plans are month-to-month, making it much easier to work the warranty into your budget. (That's one reason we named it our Best Value provider.)
- Claims paid directly to repair facilities: Like Endurance, CarShield pays claims directly to auto repair facilities, so there is no need for you to front your hard-earned cash.
- Coverage for high-tech components: CarShield offers additional security with its High Tech coverage. These plans protect your GMC’s state-of-the-art systems, including the engine control module and navigation, and electrical components like the factory audio, alternator, power window controls, and more.
CARCHEX: Best For Used Cars
When we took a look at CARCHEX, we loved the number of options for customization throughout the five levels of tiered coverage plans. The plans range from comprehensive coverage, right on down to the most basic components required to keep your car running smoothly.
CARCHEX has a highly reputable customer service department and has Better Business Bureau accreditation along with an A+ rating. It was our pick for the Motor1 Best for Used Cars award.
Purchasing an extended warranty through CARCHEX also comes with several other perks:
- Your choice of repair facilities: All CARCHEX plans allow you to select from more than 30,000 certified repair shops across the country. The company pays your claim up front, never forcing you to front the money for the repair
- Emergency roadside assistance: Every CARCHEX plan comes with 24/7 roadside assistance. This includes allowances for towing and rental cars, trip-interruption services, gas delivery, and more.
- Outstanding customer care: CARCHEX prides itself on its customer-centric approach and will never hassle or use high-pressure tactics to force a decision. CARCHEX representatives are trained to consult potential customers, identifying and outlining the details of the best plan options for them based on their needs and their budget.
|GMC Extended Warranty||CARCHEX||Endurance||CarShield|
|Max Length of Coverage||5 years/60,000 miles||10 years/250,000 miles||8 years/200,000+ miles||200,000 miles|
|# of Plan Options||2||5||6||6|
|Repair Network||GMC dealers only||> 30,000 facilities nationwide||ASE-Certified® repair facilities||ASE-Certified repair facilities|
|Cancellation Policy||Refund if within 60 days||Refund if within 30 days||Refund if within 30 days||Refund if within 30 days|
|Availability||From local dealer||Free, instant quote||Free, instant quote||Free, instant quote|
|Contact your GMC Dealer for Pricing||
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of extended auto warranty companies to formulate rankings of the best providers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Warranty providers with a history of strong business practices and endorsements from experts receive the highest scores in this category.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of extended warranty plans available, coverage terms, and added benefits like roadside assistance.
- Cost: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of plans and vehicles. Companies with lower prices per year of coverage receive the best scores.
- Transparency: This score takes into account contract transparency and the availability of a money-back guarantee.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and perform our own shopper analysis to get a sense of the responsiveness and helpfulness of each warranty company.
Read our guides to other warranty providers: