McLaren's First SUV Is Coming In 2028 With a Hybrid V-8: Report
It looks like McLaren's long-rumored SUV will soon become a reality.
McLaren has been teasing the idea of a performance SUV for several years, but now it may finally become a reality. According to a new report, the British supercar manufacturer’s first high-riding performance vehicle is set to debut in 2028, complete with a hybrid V-8 powertrain.
The report, published by Automotive News, cites details from a global dealer meeting held on November 11 at the McLaren Creation Centre in Bicester, England. During the event, McLaren executives reportedly unveiled a sporty SUV internally referred to as the "P47."
Sources who attended the meeting described the P47 as a five-seat hybrid with proportions similar to the Porsche Cayenne Turbo GT, though slightly larger. The clay model displayed at the event was said to ride on 24-inch wheels. "The SUV is sculpted and muscular—it has real presence and won’t get lost in the exotic SUV segment," one attendee told Automotive News.
Although McLaren hasn’t officially confirmed its first hybrid SUV for production, the writing is on the wall. Back in September, newly appointed CEO Nick Collins revealed that the company was developing a vehicle with "more than two seats"—a clear hint at what’s to come.
McLaren 750s
The SUV isn’t the only new model on McLaren’s roadmap. According to the same report, the automaker has an ambitious product plan extending through 2030, with new debuts scheduled every year between now and 2028.
One of the major launches will reportedly be a hybrid coupe producing nearly 800 horsepower. Powered by a V-6 with a mild-hybrid system, the car is expected to arrive in 2027. That same year, McLaren is also said to be preparing a final edition of the current 750S, featuring a roof scoop and a larger rear wing.
Notably absent from the dealer meeting was any mention of McLaren’s rumored all-electric supercar. Earlier this year, Collins confirmed that a high-performance EV remains in development but isn’t a near-term priority. For now, it seems electric McLaren fans will have to wait a little longer.
Source: Automotive News
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
McLaren Teases Its Le Mans Race Car You Can Buy
State Farm Agent Checks His Email. Then He Sees 19,000 Agents Got A New Car Insurance Rule: ‘They Can Still Pay Patrick Mahomes’
McLaren Will Reveal Its Big Comeback Plan This Summer
Woman Goes To The Car Dealership. Then She Steps Out, Uses ChatGPT—And Saves $400: ‘Trade It For A 4Runner’
States Are Finally Cracking Down On Montana's Supercar Registration Loophole
The New Alfa Romeo Giulia And Stelvio Are Coming—Just Not Anytime Soon
I Drove A McLaren On Miami's F1 Track. It's Not What It Looks Like On TV