McLaren Will Reveal Its Big Comeback Plan This Summer
McLaren CEO Nick Collins said the company will 'start to unpack' those plans in just a few months.
the breakdown
- McLaren will announce its comeback plans this summer.
- CEO Nick Collins said the company will 'start to unpack' its plans in just a few months.
- That should include new combustion performance cars and an SUV.
The future of McLaren has been murky. After the automaker’s sale in 2024 and the appointment of a new CEO last year, few concrete details have emerged about the brand’s long-term direction. But that should change in the coming months.
In an interview with Autocar, McLaren CEO Nick Collins said the company will "start to unpack" its broader plans later this summer. Those plans will reportedly include an all-new lineup of combustion-powered sports cars and—long rumored—an SUV.
The announcement is expected to coincide with the start of deliveries for the W1 hypercar. As Collins explained, "From this summer, we start to go external [with our plans], whether it's because we're starting to deliver W1s or because we're showing you product."
The first vehicle in McLaren’s revamped lineup will debut as a concept before hitting production. It should show up before the end of the year.
McLaren's Future
McLaren 'P47' SUV Rendering by Motor1
While the company has yet to confirm specifics, several reports offer insight into what may be coming.
McLaren has already committed to developing new combustion sports cars, which will likely include a successor to the aging 750S. The automaker has also expressed plans to expand into "new product categories," according to a statement released last April.
One of the most notable developments is a reported SUV, internally codenamed "P47." A November report suggests it will be a five-seat hybrid with proportions similar to the Porsche Cayenne Turbo GT.
As for a fully electric McLaren, it’s possible—but not an immediate priority. Collins noted the company will build an EV "when our customers want one," adding that the timing isn’t right just yet. More details are expected later this summer.
Motor1's Take
With new ownership and fresh investment, McLaren appears ready for a reset. A combination of new sports cars and a more accessible SUV could be exactly what the brand needs to regain momentum in the years ahead.
Source: Autocar
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
McLaren Teases Its Le Mans Race Car You Can Buy
‘I Have A Question’: Cop Gives Mustang Driver Ticket For Suspicious Modification. Then She Asks Him To Prove It
States Are Finally Cracking Down On Montana's Supercar Registration Loophole
‘This Is Why You Never Want To Rent With Alamo’: Man Reserves Rental For Thursday Night Before Road Trip. Then He Tries To Pick It
I Drove A McLaren On Miami's F1 Track. It's Not What It Looks Like On TV
‘Is It Just Because I’m A Girl?’: Woman Gets Loaner Car. Then The Dealership Worker Warns How Pricey Parallel Parking Might Be
Someone Once Stole The Shift Knob From BMW's $20M McLaren F1 GTR