Should you purchase a Honda Civic extended warranty? Extended warranties can bring peace of mind on the road by promising to pay for certain repairs should your vehicle experience a breakdown, but extended auto warranty coverage may not be worth it for all vehicles.
So, what about for a Honda Civic? If you’re on the fence about extended coverage, it’s smart to take a look at your vehicle’s reliability and the contract terms of a warranty. We’ve researched these details for the Honda Civic and will explain our findings in this review.
Our review team has also taken a close look at the best extended auto warranty companies, comparing providers based on costs, coverage, customer satisfaction, and more. If you’re looking for a Honda Civic extended warranty plan, be sure to compare free quotes from multiple providers before making a decision. Click below to get started.
In this article:
- Honda Civic Extended Warranty Overview
- Honda Civic Extended Warranty Cost
- Do You Need Honda Civic Extended Warranty Coverage?
- What Are The Benefits Of A Third-Party Warranty?
- Our Take On Honda Civic’s Extended Warranty
- Frequently Asked Questions
Honda Civic Extended Warranty Overview
Honda Civics that are less than 3 years old and have fewer than 36,000 miles on the odometer are eligible for a Honda Civic extended warranty through Honda Care. There are four Honda Care plans available for new and used cars. They can extend up to 8 years and 120,000 miles from your Civic’s in-service date.
|Honda Civic Extended Warranty||Coverage Terms|
|Honda Care Vehicle Service Contract||up to 8 years/120,000 miles|
The four levels of Honda Civic extended warranty coverage include:
- New Vehicle Coverage
- Pre-Owned Vehicle Coverage
- Certified Additional Coverage
- Powertrain Coverage (pre-owned vehicles only)
New, Pre-Owned, and Certified Additional Coverage contracts provide warranty protection for the following Honda Civic parts:
- Powertrain: Includes the engine, transmission, differentials, and axles
- Electronics: Includes computers, electronic components, and electrical systems
- Chassis: Includes the suspension, steering, and brake systems
- Heating/cooling: Includes the air conditioning, heating, and engine cooling systems
- Honda Genuine Accessories: Includes audio and communication devices and accessories, the navigational system, and the security system
The Powertrain plan covers only the engine, front and rear drive axles, transmission, and related seals, gaskets, and fluids.
With any plan, repairs can only be done at a licensed Honda dealership. While this may be a slight inconvenience for some vehicle owners, it guarantees that repairs will be performed by factory-trained Honda technicians using genuine parts.
Other perks that come with Honda Civic extended warranty coverage include:
- Rental car reimbursement: Covers up to $35 per day for a maximum of 6 days
- Transferability: If you sell your car, coverage can be transferred to the subsequent vehicle owner for a $50 fee
- Roadside assistance: Includes battery jump-starts, towing, fuel delivery services, lockout assistance, tire changes, and more
- Trip interruption benefit: Covers up to $100 per day for a maximum of 3 days
- 24/7 emergency concierge service: Can help you book maintenance appointments, restaurant reservations, and other services
If you’re unhappy with your purchase, coverage can be canceled for a full refund within 60 days. After 60 days, you can receive a prorated refund, minus a $25 cancellation processing fee.
Honda Civic Extended Warranty Exclusions
Not everything is protected under the Honda Civic extended warranty. While most breakdowns are covered, the following items are not:
- Vehicle frame
- Interior upholstery, latches, and hinges
- Exhaust system
- Wiper blades
- Spark plugs
- Air bags
- Regular maintenance services
- Covered parts damaged by uncovered parts
- Improper use, including racing and drifting
- Vermin damage
- Pre-existing conditions
Honda Civic Extended Warranty Cost
Customers online have reported paying between $1,000 and $2,500 for a Honda Civic extended warranty from Honda Care. However, warranty costs are different for each driver and vary depending on your particular vehicle and city. Offers may also vary from dealership to dealership and can be negotiable.
Here are a few factors that affect the price of an extended auto warranty:
- Vehicle make, mileage, and age
- Contract type
- Contract length
- Existing factory warranty coverage
Do You Need Honda Civic Extended Warranty Coverage?
When determining the value of an extended service contract, consider your vehicle’s reliability as well as the coverage you already have. If you plan to sell your Honda Civic before the factory warranty expires, it is not worth purchasing an extended warranty.
New Honda Civics are covered by a 3-year/36,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty as well as a 5-year/60,000-mile powertrain warranty. Extended warranty coverage does not provide any additional protection until after these warranties have expired.
Once the factory warranty period ends, an extended warranty can be well worth it, especially for unreliable vehicles. So, how reliable is the Honda Civic?
In general, Hondas receive high reliability ratings from RepairPal. Honda holds a 4.0 out of 5.0 rating for reliability and has a low average annual repair cost. Additional RepairPal reliability details for Honda Civics are shown in the chart below.
|Honda Civic||Industry Average|
|Average Annual Repair Cost||$368||$652|
|Frequency of Repairs||0.2 times per year||0.4 times per year|
|Chance of a Severe Repair*||10%||12%|
*RepairPal defines a “severe” repair as a repair that costs three times the average annual repair cost across all models.
Based on the information in the chart above, a Honda Civic extended warranty may not be worth the cost unless it is particularly inexpensive. You shouldn't expect to pay too much in repair costs for a Honda Civic, even as it ages.
However, an extended auto warranty also can bring invaluable peace of mind. Although they’re reliable, there’s still a chance your Honda Civic may experience an expensive breakdown after its factory warranty expires. The table below details some of the most common Honda Civic repairs, according to RepairPal user data.
|Common Honda Civic Repair||Estimated Cost|
|Windshield wiper motor replacement||$230 to $308|
|Catalytic converter replacement||$1,348 to $1,378|
|Heater control valve replacement||$130 to $148|
|Rack and pinion replacement||$1,159 to $1,452|
If you don’t feel comfortable paying for some of these expenses out of pocket, an extended car warranty is one way to guard against such costly repairs.
What Are The Benefits Of A Third-Party Warranty?
Honda Care is not your only option for a Honda Civic extended warranty. Protection plans can also be purchased from independent warranty providers. While a third-party provider may not guarantee the use of original manufacturer parts or certified technicians, these contracts do have several advantages over manufacturer extended car warranties.
Benefits of choosing a third-party extended warranty include:
- Coverage for older vehicles
- Can be purchased at any time, even after your factory warranty expires
- Longer coverage periods
- More contracts to choose from
- Larger repair shop network
- Typically less expensive
Our Take On Honda Civic’s Extended Warranty
The Honda Civic receives high reliability scores from RepairPal, and average Honda maintenance costs are low. For these reasons, a Honda Civic vehicle protection plan may not be worth it, especially if you don’t plan to keep your Civic long after your new car warranty expires.
However, based on customer reports, Honda Care contracts are relatively inexpensive, and a third-party contract may be even less costly. If you want to guard against the possibility of an unexpected repair bill, an extended warranty can be well worth the price.
Here’s a breakdown of how Honda Care compares to top third-party Honda Civic extended warranty providers:
|Honda Civic |
|Endurance Warranty||CarShield Warranty||CARCHEX Warranty|
|Start Date||Before vehicle passes |
3 years or 36,000 miles
|Max Length of Coverage||8 years/120,000 miles||8 years/200,000+ miles||300,000 miles||10 years/250,000 miles|
|Number of Plans||1||6||6||5|
|Repair Network||Honda dealerships||Repair shops certified by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE®)|| |
|>30,000 repair facilities nationwide|
|Cancellation Policy||Refund within 60 days||Refund within 30 days||Refund within 30 days||Refund within 30 days|
|Availability||From local dealer||Free quote online||Free quote online||Free quote online|
|Contact your |
dealer for pricing
|Get Quote||Get Quote||Get Quote|
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of extended auto warranty companies to formulate rankings of the best providers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Warranty providers with a history of strong business practices and endorsements from experts receive the highest scores in this category.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of extended warranty plans available, coverage terms, and added benefits like roadside assistance.
- Cost: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of plans and vehicles. Companies with lower prices per year of coverage receive the best scores.
- Transparency: This score takes into account contract transparency and the availability of a money-back guarantee.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and perform our own shopper analysis to get a sense of the responsiveness and helpfulness of each warranty company.
Read our guides to other warranty providers: