One of these insurers may have better coverage for you.
Choosing between Esurance and Allstate can be a tough decision. Both providers have strong industry reputations and positive reviews from customers, but when it comes to Esurance vs. Allstate, only one can be the best provider for you.
In this review, we’ll compare each company's coverage, costs, claims process, and more to help you decide which auto insurance company is your best bet. Any time you shop for car insurance, we recommend getting at least three quotes so you can compare policies side by side. To get free quotes from some of the industry’s best car insurance companies, enter your zip code above.
In this article:
- Esurance And Allstate Highlights
- Esurance Vs. Allstate: Coverage
- Esurance Vs. Allstate: Cost And Discounts
- Esurance Vs. Allstate: Ratings And Reviews
- Our Take On Esurance Vs. Allstate
- Recommended Car Insurance Providers
Esurance And Allstate Highlights
The two car insurance companies may seem similar at a glance, because Allstate actually owns Esurance. But when it comes to coverage, pricing, and customer service, the insurers are unique. The biggest difference is that Esurance is a tech-focused company with no customer-facing offices, whereas Allstate is known for its great local service.
|Availability||35 states||50 states|
|AM Best Financial Strength Rating||A+||A+|
|J.D. Power Claims Satisfaction||871/1,000||876/1,000|
|Mobile App Google Play Rating||4.6||2.4|
Esurance Vs. Allstate: Coverage
You can get the standard types of auto insurance with both Esurance and Allstate, as well as things like roadside assistance and rental car reimbursement. However, there is some variation between the two companies.
Here's a snapshot of Esurance vs. Allstate in terms of policy options:
|Bodily Injury Liability (BI)||✓||✓|
|Property Damage Liability (PD)||✓||✓|
|Personal Injury Protection (PIP)||✓||✓|
|Medical Payments (MedPay)||✓||✓|
|Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)||✓||✓|
|Rental Car Reimbursement||✓||✓|
|Accident Forgiveness Insurance||✓||✓|
|Guaranteed Asset Protection (GAP) Insurance||✓|
|Sound System Insurance||✓|
|Mexico Tourist Car Insurance||✓|
Standout Coverage From Esurance:
- GAP insurance: This type of insurance will cover the difference between the actual cost value of your loaned or leased vehicle and how much you owe on the car in the event of a total loss.
Standout Coverage From Allstate:
- Sound system insurance: This type of car insurance coverage pays for the repair or replacement of your sound system when it is damaged in a covered incident.
- Mexico tourist insurance: If you’re planning a road trip across the Mexico border, you may want this type of insurance. Allstate partners with car insurance companies in Mexico to give you coverage for up to one year.
Esurance Vs. Allstate: Cost And Discounts
Our research found that customers were more pleased with pricing from Esurance. However, the price you pay for an auto insurance policy depends on many factors, including your vehicle make and model, age, location, and the discounts you qualify for. To get a better idea of what you might pay, check out the discount opportunities available from Esurance vs. Allstate:
|Pay in Full||✓||✓|
Comparing Usage-Based Programs
Esurance provides a usage-based savings program called DriveSense®. Allstate offers the same service through its DriveWise® app. Here’s what we found when we compared Esurance vs. Allstate car insurance apps:
|Through the Esurance mobile app or plug-in device||Through the Allstate mobile app or plug-in device|
|Discount for signing up and additional discounts for driving safely during each insured period||Up to 10% cashback for signing up and up to 25% off every 6 months for safe driving|
|3.0 stars on Google Play||4.0 stars on Google Play|
Standout Discounts From Esurance
- Fast5® discount: If you get a quote online before buying, you’ll save money on your car insurance.
- Homeowners discount: If you own a house, even if it's not insured with Esurance, you could save money on your rates.
Standout Discounts From Allstate
- New car discount: If you get a brand new car and insure it with Allstate, you will save money on your car insurance rates.
- Vehicle safety discounts: If your car has anti-lock brakes or anti-theft devices, you could save money.
- Ways to pay discounts: When you set up automatic payments or pay in full for an entire policy term, you’ll get a discount.
Esurance Vs. Allstate: Ratings And Reviews
Allstate has a greater variety of coverage, and Esurance has more discounts, but which auto insurance company is rated more highly by industry experts? Two sources you should consider here are the BBB, which rates business practices, and AM Best, which gives insurers a rating based on the ability to pay out customer claims.
|AM Best Financial Strength Rating||A+||A+|
These high marks from AM Best tell us that Esurance and Allstate have strong financial backing. In terms of business practices though, Allstate ranks higher than Esurance.
Customer Reviews: Esurance
When comparing Esurance vs. Allstate, we found that positive customer reviews of Esurance focus on the easy sign-up process, quick customer service, and helpful insurance agents. Negative reviews mention a slow claims process, high premiums, and rates that increase over time.
“The agents were quick to answer questions and stay with me ‘til the process was finished.”
- Jean S. via BBB
“Customer service is poor. The claim that they offer a hassle-free process. I spent 45 minutes on the phone to get something taken care of that I should have been able to handle online. They 'reward' customers by removing discounts and increasing their rates.”
- Jacob O. via BBB
Customer Reviews: Allstate
We found some common themes in customer reviews of Allstate car insurance. Positive comments highlight Allstate’s satisfactory claims experience and long-term relationships with customers. Negative customer feedback notes unreliable service and slow claims services. It would seem that your experience with Allstate may depend on your location.
“Best insurance company in our location. We've got our home and car insurance, and we [have used] their services for [three years already]. Everything is fine.”
- Shaffer J. via BBB
“I was involved in an 18-wheeler accident. Truck driver wasn't insured at [the] time of [the] accident, I have uninsured motorist. Allstate did not pay to get my car fixed… After four months, Allstate has not paid for the repair. It's a bad company.”
- Reymundo S. via BBB
Quotes And Claims
To assess each company’s quotes process, we turn to the J.D. Power 2020 U.S. Insurance Shopping StudySM, which measures the shopping experience in terms of price, policy offerings, and distribution channels. Here are the results based on customer reviews:
- Esurance: 864 out of 1,000
- Allstate: 858 out of 1,000
As you can see, customers are slightly more pleased with the quotes process through Esurance, but the race was very close.
To get a better sense of each company’s claims servicing, we look to another J.D. Power study, the 2020 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction StudySM. J.D. Power measured customer satisfaction with claims processing for each insurer. This time, Allstate pulled slightly ahead.
- Esurance: 871 out of 1,000
- Allstate: 876 out of 1,000
Our Take On Esurance Vs. Allstate
Esurance and Allstate rate similarly in the car insurance industry. With Esurance, you get a good online experience, low rates, and discounts for senior drivers and military. Allstate has superior coverage and greater availability. In the end, our team rates Allstate higher overall.
|Cost and Discounts||Esurance|
|Quotes and Claims Processes||Tie|
|Ratings and Customer Reviews||Allstate|
To find out which provider is best for your needs, we recommend get free quotes from car insurance companies near you by entering your zip code in the tool below.
Recommended Car Insurance Providers
Esurance and Allstate are two great auto insurance companies to consider when shopping for a new policy, but why stop there? The more options you consider, the better chance you have of finding comprehensive coverage that satisfies your budget. During your search, make sure to look into State Farm and Progressive, too. These insurers both earned 4.5 out of 5.0 stars in our review of the nation’s most popular companies.
State Farm: 4.5 Stars
As the largest auto insurance company on the market, State Farm is a good choice for many drivers, but we think it’s a great match for students in particular. There are many ways for students to save with a State Farm car insurance policy, including the Steer Clear® program that functions as a safe driving refresher course for drivers under the age of 25. Along with standard coverage, customers can get things like roadside assistance and rental car reimbursement.
Learn more in our in-depth State Farm insurance review.
Progressive: 4.5 Stars
Progressive is another smart choice for most drivers on the road, but high-risk drivers may find lower rates than they would with other insurers. Progressive has many money-saving features, including the usage-based Snapshot® program. Similar to State Farm, you can get add-on coverage like roadside assistance and rental car reimbursement, plus custom parts and equipment coverage and GAP insurance.
Read our Progressive insurance review to find out more.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read our other articles on car insurance:
- USAA vs. Allstate
- Nationwide vs. Geico
- Safeco vs. Geico
- Amica vs. Geico
- Metromile vs. Geico
- Geico vs. Allstate
- Progressive vs. State Farm
- Nationwide vs. Progressive