American Commerce Insurance Company (ACIC) is a subsidiary of, MAPFRE insurance. Through its parent company, American Commerce sells insurance policies via independent agents in 14 states. In this review, we will take a look at policy options, discounts and American Commerce Insurance reviews from customers.
You can use that information to see how ACIC stacks up against the best car insurance companies we reviewed to help you make an informed decision on your auto insurance provider.
In this article:
- About American Commerce Insurance Company
- American Commerce Insurance Coverage Options
- American Commerce Insurance Cost
- American Commerce Insurance Discounts
- American Commerce Insurance Reviews And Ratings
- Our Verdict: 3.5 Stars
- Our Recommendations For Car Insurance
About American Commerce Insurance Company
American Commerce Insurance was founded in Webster, MA in 1942. The company was later acquired by MAPFRE in 2008. MAPFRE (Mutualidad Agrupación Propietarios Fincas Rústicas de España) is an international insurance issuer operating in 47 countries. In the United States and its territories, MAPFRE is only offered in the following locations:
MAPFRE wrote nearly $190M in premiums in 2019 and claims to be the 20th largest private passenger auto insurer in the U.S. In addition to auto insurance, MAPFRE writes policies for renters insurance, homeowners insurance, casualty insurance, life insurance, business insurance, umbrella insurance, motorcycle insurance, boat insurance, and RV insurance.
American Commerce Insurance Coverage Options
Through MAPFRE, American Commerce offers most types of auto insurance. In addition to standard coverage options like liability auto insurance, collision insurance, medical payments, and comprehensive car insurance, MAPFRE offers the following add-on options:
- AutoMaster® package endorsement: Includes reimbursements for bail bonds, loss of earnings, death benefits, expense waivers for collision deductibles, cell phone replacement, and laptop replacement
- Substitute transportation: Rental car reimbursement
- Towing and labor: Pays for a limited amount of towing
Coverage options offered by American Commerce are fairly standard. Some of the benefits offered in the AutoMaster package endorsement are unusual but may be of interest to some drivers. The laptop replacement feature could be valuable if you regularly drive around with an expensive computer in your vehicle.
American Commerce Insurance Cost
You won't find American Commerce insurance prices online, which is typical for auto insurance providers. To help you get a better idea of how much you'll pay for insurance, here are the average insurance rates for each of the states in which American Commerce operates:
|State||State Average Cost Estimate|
The cost of any auto insurance policy will vary depending on a number of demographic variables. To calculate your premiums, insurers usually consider:
- Gender listed on your drivers license
- Marital status
- Credit score
- Driving history
To illustrate how some of these factors can influence your premiums, these tables show the average estimates from national providers based on a few different driver profiles:
Car Insurance Estimates For Good Drivers
|Car Insurance Company||Annual Rate Estimate|
Car Insurance Estimates For Drivers With Poor Credit
|Car Insurance Company||Annual Rate Estimate|
Car Insurance Estimates For Young Drivers
|Car Insurance Company||Annual Rate Estimate|
We requested a policy quote for a 29-year-old male driver in Florida who is single and has a good credit score. The quotes we received were $217 per month for standard coverage and $257 per month for extended coverage.
For Florida car insurance, this is a little higher than the state average. However, keep in mind that many people may only have the minimum coverage requirements. The above quote is for full coverage auto insurance that includes collision and comprehensive coverage. A minimum coverage quote for the same driver came out at $152 per month, which is below the state average.
American Commerce Insurance Discounts
American Commerce offers a number of discount opportunities and value programs—like discounts for bundling other insurance products like home insurance with your auto insurance. Drivers can obtain reduced premiums for:
- AAA membership
- Green discount
- Policy bundling
- Welcome back credit when prior loyalty applies
- Paid-in-full discount
- Good student discount
- Student away from home discount
- Annual mileage discount
- Driving school discount
- Multi-car discount
- Good driver discount
Through MAPFRE, insurance customers can also take advantage of the following value programs:
- Disappearing deductible: Earn $50 off your next deductible for every year you drive without filing a claim, up to $300.
- Accident forgiveness: If you purchase accident forgiveness as an add-on, your premiums will not increase in the event of an accident.
- Auto glass repair program: Depending on the type of damage, you can have your windshield repaired for free (no deductible).
- Car EZ: Receive special benefits when working with partnered repair shops. These include:
- Guaranteed contact within 24 hours
- Vehicle pickup arrangements
- Rental car coordination
- Lifetime warranty on repairs
- DriveAdvisor®: Track your driving habits using the Commerce Insurance app and receive premium reductions.
- TeenSMART®: This MAPFRE-provided auto safety class for teenagers will reduce your auto insurance premium.
American Commerce offers a lot of discount opportunities. If you are considering MAPFRE, consult with a MAPFRE agent to learn by exactly how much you can lower your premiums.
American Commerce Insurance Reviews And Ratings
MAPFRE has seen a significant decrease in complaints through the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) in recent years. However, the 37 customer reviews posted with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) are mostly negative. American Commerce has a BBB average customer rating of only one star.
MAPFRE did not score very well on the J.D. Power 2019 Auto Claims Satisfaction StudySM. It received an overall score of 2 out of 5, which is below average.
|Overall Customer Satisfaction||First Notice Of Loss||Claim Servicing||Estimation Process||Repair Process||Settlement|
2 / 5
2 / 5
2 / 5
3 / 5
4 / 5
2 / 5
Customers were fine with the estimation process and pleased with how quickly and well their vehicles were repaired. However, many customers found the settlement amounts to be unfair and thought that the agents who handled their claims were rude and condescending.
What customers appear to complain about the most are the car insurance agents and claims adjusters. Many say that they were offered preposterously low settlement offers and that insurance agents are frequently rude.
“[It’s] been over [two] weeks since a customer of [MAPFRE] caused [an] accident that totalled my truck. The agents are rude and yell over you when you try to explain anything.”
There are usually many complaints against auto insurance companies posted with the BBB. Satisfied customers don’t tend to go out of their way to leave feedback.
MAPFRE only has 37 customer reviews through BBB. This is a small number compared to the hundreds of millions of dollars in policies that MAPFRE services each year. However, this combined with the low scores on the J.D. Power Auto Claims Satisfaction Study is not a good sign.
Our Verdict: 3.5 Stars
We rate American Commerce (and MAPFRE) at 3.5 stars out of 5.0. The company has a strong financial standing, with an AM Best financial strength rating of A, and offers reasonably priced options. MAPFRE’s discount and savings opportunities are vast, and customers seem to like the vehicle repair process.
What brings American Commerce auto insurance down in our estimation is the middling claims servicing. The company appears to have problems offering reliable customer service and does not pay out as highly as other companies. It may be worth checking into a quote with American Commerce, but there are other cheaper, better providers out there.
Our Recommendations For Car Insurance
When shopping around for car insurance rates, you should always get quotes from multiple providers. There is no one best insurance option for everyone, only the best insurance option for you.
Comparing quotes is a great place to start, but it shouldn’t be the end of your auto insurance investigations. Consider company reputation, claims servicing, and customer satisfaction as well. The policy with the cheapest premiums may not be the least expensive in the long run. Consider coverage from some of our top recommended providers.
USAA: Best For Military
USAA car insurance is one of the lowest-cost options available. USAA was founded in 1922 by a few military officers who couldn’t find low-cost options elsewhere.
Because there are no shareholders, USAA uses profits to increase its financial strength or returns them to its members. You can be certain that USAA cares about customers.
USAA holds an A++ financial strength from AM Best. This means it has a superior ability to meet any financial obligations. USAA also scored a 5/5 on the J.D. Power Auto Claims Satisfaction Study. An easy claims filing process and high number of customer payouts make USAA an easy recommendation. It is the only insurance provider that we award a full 5.0 stars out of 5.0.
Be aware that to purchase USAA insurance you or an immediate family member needs to be an active or retired member of the U.S. armed services.
To learn more, read our full USAA insurance review.
Geico: Best Overall
Geico’s advertisements have made it one of the most famous car insurance providers on the market. But a British gecko isn’t the only one to recommend the company. Geico offers reliable claims service and low-cost coverage. For this reason and because of its national availability, we rate Geico auto insurance at 4.5 stars out of 5.0.
Geico has an AM Best financial strength rating of A++. It is a stable company easily able to meet financial obligations to its customers. Not only is Geico good at paying out claims, it makes the filing process easy. Claims can be filed through the Geico mobile app, and service response times are fast.
We think Geico is the best choice for the mass-market consumer. With a number of policy discounts like the good student and safe driver discounts, Geico is an excellent place to start when comparing auto insurance quotes.
To learn more, read our full Geico review.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read our other articles on car insurance:
- Safeway Auto Insurance Review
- Foremost Auto Insurance Review
- Hagerty Auto Insurance Review
- Technology Insurance Company Review
- Accurate Auto Insurance Review
- Wawanesa Auto Insurance Review
- Grange Auto Insurance Review
- Missouri Farm Bureau Insurance Review
- Acceptance Auto Insurance Review