Discover what you can expect with a policy from NJM.
Considering an auto insurance policy from NJM Insurance? This article offers a glimpse into the East Coast-based company, including coverage options, discount opportunities, NJM Insurance reviews, and more. We'll help you decide if an NJM auto insurance policy is the right choice for your vehicle.
When looking for the best car insurance, it’s smart to shop around and compare quotes. In addition to contacting NJM, you can use the free tool below to find other insurers available in your area. You can also call us at (844) 246-8209 for free, personalized quotes.
In this article:
- About NJM Auto Insurance
- NJM Auto Insurance Coverage
- NJM Auto Insurance Cost And Discounts
- NJM Insurance Reviews
- NJM Insurance Apps and Technology
- Our Take On NJM Auto Insurance: 4.0 Stars
- Our Recommendations For Car Insurance
- FAQ: NJM Auto Insurance
About NJM Auto Insurance
NJM Insurance Company, or New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance, was established in 1913 and is currently headquartered in West Trenton, New Jersey. Previously, it only provided auto insurance exclusively to its members, but in 2018, it became available to the public. NJM Insurance is known for its competitive rates and good customer service.
Unfortunately, this insurance company is mainly only available in New Jersey, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania. It offers its customers home, auto, and business insurance, with a few additional coverage options for a handful of other neighboring states.
Customers of NJM Insurance stay loyal because of the company’s strong financial standing and local agents. Customer service agents are familiar with the area and surrounding community and can create a personalized experience.
NJM Auto Insurance Coverage
NJM offers standard insurance coverage for personal vehicles, which includes:
- Property damage and bodily injury liability coverage: Covers another driver’s personal injuries or property damage when you are at fault for an accident
- Collision: Covers the cost of repairing your vehicle after a collision with another car or an object
- Comprehensive: Protects your car when it is damaged by things other than a collision, like fire, theft, vandalism, or animals
- Medical payments: Covers your medical expenses if you are injured in an accident
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage: Protects you when the other party involved in an accident does not have sufficient insurance to cover losses
You can also add roadside assistance, rideshare insurance, guaranteed asset protection (GAP) insurance, new car replacement, and transportation expense reimbursement to your NJM auto insurance policy.
NJM Insurance insures specialty vehicles like boats, motorcycles, and classic cars. It also provides insurance coverage for businesses, homes, apartments, and condos. Businesses can get workers' compensation coverage if they are located in Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, or Pennsylvania.
NJM Auto Insurance Cost And Discounts
Many personal factors affect the cost of your car insurance premium. Details like your gender, age, zip code, credit score, driving record, and the type of car you drive can make your rates go up or down. Make sure to speak to a local agent about your specific circumstances and how they’ll affect your rates.
NJM auto insurance is known for reasonable rates. For instance, a single male could get rates of $1,272 for the year, which is cheaper than the overall New Jersey state average.
You can save more if you qualify for one of NJM's discounts for:
- Holding multiple policies like homeowner’s or renter’s insurance
- Protecting multiple vehicles on an auto policy
- Paying your premium in full
- Having safety features installed in your car
- Getting good grades
- Completing a defensive driving course
You can also enroll in NJM SafeDrive. This program uses a mobile app to track data about your driving habits, including your speed, acceleration, cornering, braking, and distracted driving. You can become eligible for a discount if you consistently drive safely.
NJM Insurance Reviews
NJM Insurance has an overall positive reputation when it comes to customer service. It has the trust of its customers and responds to customer claims with care and attention. The J.D. Power 2020 U.S. Auto Insurance Study℠ named NJM auto insurance third in the Mid-Atlantic region.
NJM is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and it has an overall BBB rating of B-. This is not an excellent score, but neither is it especially poor.
Positive NJM Insurance Reviews
NJM Insurance reviews say the company processes insurance claims fast and efficiently. Many also mention claims approvals being fair and accurate. Positive NJM Insurance reviews also compliment the company's knowledgeable and transparent staff.
Here are some examples of positive NJM insurance reviews from customers:
“Best choice I ever made. I never had a problem as long as I paid on time. Or even if I couldn't, I would just let them know. I get money back for just being a customer and more. These company policies are A1… I will always recommend them to everyone I know in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Amazing company!”
-Kai W. via Yelp
“The service I received was quick and personal. The woman on the phone waited with me while she sent me the PDF of the policy, allowed me to print and sign it, and then take and send a picture back to her to expedite the bureaucratic process. So far, with service like this, I have high hopes for my relationship with NJM.”
-Chris Y. via Yelp
Negative NJM Insurance Reviews
Not all NJM Insurance reviews are positive. A few customers expressed frustration with NJM rates on the company's BBB page. One person wrote:
"Been with the company for 20+ years, and everything about that relationship meant nothing once 2018 came and they started using credit scores to determine premiums. Increases are now through the roof. I am shocked a company with the reputation they had for so long would do such a thing."
- Ed via BBB
NJM Insurance Apps and Technology
NJM's SafeDrive mobile app is available on both Google Play and Apple's App Store. As mentioned, above, the SafeDrive app tracks driving behavior to offers insurance premium discounts. Unfortunately, several users have complained that the app malfunctions and reports that customers are driving while they sleep.
NJM also has a photo estimate mobile app that customers can use to get faster estimates after an accident. This app is only available on the Apple App Store.
Our Take On NJM Auto Insurance: 4.0 Stars
NJM Insurance is a decent option for affordable car insurance coverage, but only if you live in its limited service areas of New Jersey, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania.
In NJM insurance reviews, customers praise the company's wide selection of coverage options. NJM also offers a lot of insurance discounts to save you money and is backed by a strong financial foundation, as shown by its A++ rating on AM Best.
If you are looking for a no-hassle insurance claims process and you live in select East Coast states, you could benefit from NJM’s low insurance rates.
Our Recommendations For Car Insurance
You could get even better rates when you shop around for car insurance. You can compare coverage options, monthly premiums, and companies' reputations for customer service.
We made this process easier for you by reviewing some of the best car insurance companies in the nation. Read on to check out our choices, and enter your zip code below or call (844) 246-8209 to start comparing free auto insurance quotes.
Geico: Best Overall
We give Geico auto insurance a 4.5 out of 5.0 rating overall. It provides great discounts for students and members of the military. Because Geico earned an A++ rating from AM Best, customers can feel protected by the company’s better-than-average financial standing.
This insurance carrier is available in all 50 states, and it’s known for its great customer service. Geico offers liability insurance, as well as medical payments, uninsured motorist coverage, and comprehensive coverage.
To learn more, read our full Geico auto insurance review.
State Farm: Best For Students
State Farm also earned a 4.5 out of 5.0 rating in our review. Consider this insurance company if you have students and teenage drivers. Its Drive Safe & Save™ program encourages drivers to improve skills while potentially earning a discount on rates.
State Farm has service areas in 48 states. It offers discounts for bundling multiple policies or having more than one vehicle on your auto insurance policy. You can obtain standard protection for bodily injury and liability coverage, collision, comprehensive, medical payments, personal injury protection, and uninsured motorist coverage. State Farm also offers rideshare coverage and roadside assistance.
To learn more, read our full State Farm insurance review.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read more of our insurance reviews:
- Hartford Insurance Reviews
- Root Insurance Reviews
- Mercury Insurance Reviews
- Dairyland Insurance Reviews
- Metlife Auto Insurance Reviews
- American Commerce Insurance Review
- Trumbull Insurance Company Review
- 21st Century Auto Insurance Review
- Good2Go Auto Insurance Review
- Freeway Insurance Review