If you live in Chicago or the surrounding area, you may have come across Oxford Auto Insurance. This small, Illinois-based company exclusively serves the Chicago market, offering policies that cater to the metro area’s specific needs.
Here, we'll offer an in-depth review of Oxford Auto Insurance. Before you read further, make sure you take a look at our review of the best car insurance companies to learn about more providers that might suit your needs.
We also recommend filling out the form below or calling (844) 246-8209 to start comparing providers and quotes, especially if you don’t live in the Chicago area and therefore can’t be served by Oxford Auto Insurance.
In this article:
- About Oxford Auto Insurance
- Oxford Auto Insurance Coverage Options
- Oxford Auto Insurance Cost And Discounts
- Oxford Auto Insurance Reviews
- Our Take On Oxford Auto Insurance
- Our Recommendations For Auto Insurance
About Oxford Auto Insurance
Oxford Auto Insurance has been in business for over 75 years and advertises very low rates and reasonable coverage for all customers, even those with a poor credit history, previous accidents, or tickets.
Aside from insuring cars, Oxford Auto Insurance also offers rideshare coverage, motorcycle insurance, SR-22 insurance, and homeowners and renters insurance.
Oxford Auto Insurance isn’t an insurance provider itself. Instead, it’s an insurance broker, meaning that customers will work with an Oxford Auto Insurance agent who will then compare rates from different auto insurance companies to find a policy that fits. The companies with which Oxford Auto Insurance works include:
- American Access Casualty Company
- American Alliance Casualty Company
- American Heartland / United Equitable
- American Freedom Insurance Company
- Apollo Casualty Company / Delphi Casualty Company
- Direct Auto Casualty Company
- Falcon Insurance Company
- Founders Insurance Company
- KAI Casualty Company
- Lighthouse Casualty Company
- Unique Insurance Company
Not a direct insurance provider
High customer satisfaction rating
Limited service area
Low rates for drivers with poor credit
App does not function well
Oxford Auto Insurance Coverage Options
Since Oxford Auto Insurance only connects customers with other insurance providers, the coverage you’ll get will vary from provider to provider. That said, Oxford Auto Insurance advertises the following types of coverage:
- Liability coverage: This covers the cost of damage to a third party’s property or injury to their person, as well as any of your own legal fees. Having this type of coverage is a requirement in the state of Illinois.
- Collision insurance: This covers the cost of damage to your vehicle or injury to your person and passengers in the case of a collision.
- Comprehensive insurance: This covers the cost of damage to your vehicle from non-collision-related accidents like vandalism, theft, storm damage, etc.
- Medical payments (MedPay) This covers the cost of medical bills if you or your passengers are injured in an accident.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM): If your vehicle is hit by another driver who doesn’t have sufficient auto insurance to cover the damage or injury costs, this policy will cover the costs. This is a requirement in Illinois.
Oxford Auto Insurance doesn’t specifically mention personal injury protection (PIP), a standard form of insurance, but considering Oxford works with other major providers who offer it, it’s likely you’ll be able to get PIP from Oxford. PIP takes medical payments coverage one step further by also paying your lost wages if you’re injured in an accident and unable to work.
In addition to these standard coverage options, Oxford Auto Insurance also offers the following types of car insurance:
- Roadside assistance: If your car breaks down, Oxford will help cover the cost of roadside assistance services.
- Tow truck insurance: If an accident occurs, Oxford will cover the cost of towing it.
- Business use insurance: If you use your car for business, Oxford will still insure it.
- Ridesharing insurance: If you drive for Uber or Lyft, this type of insurance will cover you while you drive.
- SR-22 insurance: Illinois requires proof from insurance companies that certain high-risk customers have the state minimum liability coverage in place. This is not a type of insurance but rather a form submitted to the state that certifies a driver has the necessary insurance.
Oxford Auto Insurance Cost And Discounts
The actual cost of your insurance will vary depending on what provider you end up purchasing from. That said, Oxford Auto Insurance advertises rates as low as $23 per month, which comes to $138 every six months or $276 per year.
Likewise, discount offers will also vary depending on your provider. One good thing of working with a broker is that your agent can help match you with the partner insurer that offers the most discounts for which you are eligible.
Be aware that getting insurance through a broker can sometimes be more expensive, as brokers charge an extra fee. That being said, that fee is sometimes charged to the customer and sometimes charged to the insurance provider, in which case it would not impact the amount you pay for your policy.
Oxford Auto Insurance Reviews
Oxford Auto Insurance advertises a very high customer satisfaction rating – 98 percent to be exact. The company has an A+ rating and accreditation from the Better Business Bureau (BBB). It has fielded only 3 complaints through the BBB website in the last 3 years, which is very low for an insurer or broker.
However, there are very few customer ratings posted online. There is only one customer review on the BBB website and only two customer reviews posted to Yelp. All of these reviews were negative. Overall, the extremely low number of complaints is a good sign for the insurer, and the lack of positive feedback may be due to the company's small size and regional availability.
Oxford Auto offers an app that allows customers to make payments and check policy information. The app does not allow for filing claims, which is a common feature with other insurers' apps.
The Oxford Auto app has a 3.3 out of 5.0 rating on the Google Play store and a 2.5 out of 5.0 rating on the Apple App store. Customers complain about a clunky interface and say the payments feature often doesn't work.
Our Take On Oxford Auto Insurance: 3.0 Stars
While Oxford Auto Insurance advertises a 90-percent customer satisfaction rating, it is unclear where they get this number. It is true that there are a low number of customer complaints posted online, but there aren't many positive customer reviews posted online either.
However, since Oxford Auto Insurance doesn’t provide insurance on its own, your car insurance cost will vary depending on which provider Oxford sells you. When you request a quote, Oxford will pull quotes from different auto insurance providers ranging from large to small including Progressive car insurance, Falcon Insurance Company, Founders Insurance Company, and more.
All in all, if you’re based in the Chicagoland area and want cheap insurance, it’s worth giving Oxford Auto Insurance some consideration. They may be able to help you ferret out discounts and offers that you would have difficulty finding yourself. Using an insurance broker is also useful for those who need help comparing options and understanding their policies.
Our Recommendations For Auto Insurance
If you do not live in Chicago or are not interested in working with a broker, make sure you’ve covered all your bases and gotten free quotes from several trusted providers. Use this tool to do your own research on providers or call our team at (844) 246-8209 for an even easier process.
We’ve already looked into some of the best auto insurance companies in the U.S. for you. Here are a few that might interest you.
USAA Insurance: 5.0 Stars
If low insurance rates are what you’re after, USAA car insurance should be at the top of your list. This company had the lowest average annual premium out of all the providers we reviewed. However, it only serves military members, veterans, and their families, so if you don’t fall into one of those categories, keep reading to learn more about another top provider. For more on insurance coverage offered by USAA, read our full USAA auto insurance review.
Geico Insurance: 4.5 Stars
Geico is a reputable and trustworthy auto insurance provider with reasonable rates and good coverage options. If you’re looking for affordable insurance, Geico is worth considering, especially for drivers who are not affiliated with the military. To learn more, read our full review of Geico auto insurance.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read our other insurance articles: