Using a broker like Oxford Auto Insurance can help you find a cheap rate quickly.
If you live in Chicago or the surrounding area, you may be looking into Oxford Auto Insurance. This small, Illinois-based company exclusively serves the Chicago market, offering policies that cater to the metro area’s specific needs.
Here, we’re going to dive deep into Oxford Auto Insurance and give you an in-depth review of what it’s all about. Before you read further, make sure you take a look at our review of the best car insurance companies to learn about more providers that might suit your needs.
We also recommend filling out the form below or calling (844) 246-8209 to start comparing providers and quotes, especially if you don’t live in the Chicago area and therefore can’t be served by Oxford Auto Insurance.
In this article:
- About Oxford Auto Insurance
- Pros And Cons Of Oxford Auto Insurance
- Oxford Auto Insurance Coverage Options
- How Much Does Oxford Auto Insurance Cost?
- Oxford Auto Insurance Quotes, Claims, And Reviews
- Our Take On Oxford Auto Insurance
- Our Recommendations For Auto Insurance
About Oxford Auto Insurance
Oxford Auto Insurance has been in business for over 75 years and advertises very low rates and reasonable coverage for all customers, even if they have a poor credit history, previous accidents, or tickets.
Aside from insuring cars, Oxford Auto Insurance also offers rideshare coverage, motorcycle insurance, SR-22 insurance, and homeowners and renters insurance.
Oxford Auto Insurance isn’t an insurance provider itself. Instead, it’s an insurance broker, meaning that customers will work with an Oxford Auto Insurance agent who will then compare rates from different auto insurance companies to find a policy that fits. The companies with which Oxford Auto Insurance works include:
- American Access Casualty Company
- American Alliance Casualty Company
- American Heartland / United Equitable
- American Freedom Insurance Company
- Apollo Casualty Company / Delphi Casualty Company
- Direct Auto Casualty Company
- Falcon Insurance Company
- Founders Insurance Company
- KAI Casualty Company
- Lighthouse Casualty Company
- Unique Insurance Company
Pros And Cons Of Oxford Auto Insurance
Before we go any further, let’s look at a quick overview of Oxford Auto Insurance’s pros and cons.
- Chicago-focused service: Oxford Auto Insurance only services the Chicagoland area, meaning it has a keen understanding of what Chicago drivers need from an insurance policy.
- Low rates: If its website can be trusted, customers can receive rates as low as $23 per month and an average savings of $321 (time period not specified).
- High customer satisfaction rating: Oxford’s website states the company has a 90-percent customer satisfaction rating. While this seems potentially overstated, a look at its Better Business Bureau rating does show high customer satisfaction. In fact, at the time of publication, Oxford was rated 3.0 out of 5.0 stars, which is one of the highest BBB ratings we’ve seen, even when considering major providers like Geico auto insurance, State Farm auto insurance, etc.
- Dedicated expert: By working through a broker like Oxford, you will have an in-person representative to help you navigate the auto insurance market. Many brokers also have relationships with providers and may be able to secure special deals.
- Not a provider: Oxford is not an auto insurance provider and may be a potentially unnecessary middleman. You have the option to do the research on your own and compare quotes yourself. A good place to start is the easy quote tool on this page.
- Only serves a limited area: While this is good for Chicago-based customers, if you’d like to purchase from Oxford and aren’t from the area, you’re out of luck.
- May push certain providers: Some brokers have a tendency to push certain providers or policies based on relationships with specific insurance companies. Though we are not claiming that this is the case with Oxford Auto Insurance, it's something of which to be aware.
Oxford Auto Insurance Coverage Options
Since Oxford Auto Insurance only connects customers with other insurance providers, the coverage you’ll get will vary from provider to provider. That said, Oxford Auto Insurance advertises the following types of coverage:
- Liability coverage: This covers the cost of damage to a third party’s property or injury to their person, as well as any of your own legal fees. Having this type of coverage is a requirement in the state of Illinois.
- Collision insurance: This covers the cost of damage to your vehicle or injury to your person and passengers in the case of a collision.
- Comprehensive insurance: This covers the cost of damage to your vehicle from non-collision-related accidents like vandalism, theft, storm damage, etc.
- Medical payments (MedPay) This covers the cost of medical bills if you or your passengers are injured in an accident.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM): If your vehicle is hit by another driver who doesn’t have sufficient auto insurance to cover the damage or injury costs, this policy will cover the costs. This is a requirement in Illinois.
Oxford Auto Insurance doesn’t specifically mention personal injury protection (PIP), a standard form of insurance, but considering Oxford works with other major providers who offer it, it’s likely you’ll be able to get PIP from Oxford. PIP takes medical payments coverage one step further by also paying your lost wages if you’re injured in an accident and unable to work.
In addition to these standard coverage options, Oxford Auto Insurance also offers the following types of car insurance:
- Roadside assistance: If your car breaks down, Oxford will help cover the cost of roadside assistance services.
- Tow truck insurance: If an accident occurs, Oxford will cover the cost of towing it.
- Business use insurance: If you use your car for business, Oxford will still insure it.
- Ridesharing insurance: If you drive for Uber or Lyft, this type of insurance will cover you while you drive.
- SR-22 insurance: Illinois requires proof from insurance companies that certain high-risk customers have the state minimum liability coverage in place. This is not a type of insurance but rather a form submitted to the state that certifies a driver has the necessary insurance.
How Much Does Oxford Auto Insurance Cost?
The actual cost of your insurance will vary depending on what provider you end up purchasing from. That said, Oxford Auto Insurance advertises rates as low as $23 per month, which comes to $138 every six months or $276 per year.
Be aware that getting insurance through a broker can sometimes be more expensive, as brokers charge an extra fee. That being said, that fee is sometimes charged to the customer and sometimes charged to the insurance provider, in which case it would not impact the amount you pay for your policy.
Oxford Auto Insurance Quotes, Claims, And Reviews
Interested motorists can get a quote by visiting Oxford Auto Insurance’s website and inputting some basic information about themselves. Drivers can then purchase a policy online.
Alternatively, drivers can call in and get connected with an agent at a local office who will help them navigate the insurance buying process. To see how an Oxford Auto Insurance quote compares to other insurance providers, call (844) 246-8209 or use the tool below:
Since Oxford Auto Insurance is not a provider itself, how you file your claims will vary from provider to provider. Oxford Auto Insurance has a list of phone numbers you need to call to file a claim with your specific provider. If you have any questions, you can call the Oxford Insurance customer service number.
Oxford Auto Insurance advertises a very high customer satisfaction rating – 98 percent to be exact. On Yelp, Oxford Auto Insurance had a rating of 1.5 out of 5 stars based on 2 reviews at the time of publication. On Facebook, the company is rated 3.8 out of 5 stars based on four reviews.
One customer writes:
“My agent has been amazing with application. She explained everything to me and was able to answer questions for me. Oxford is a great insurance agency. I see it has 4 stars out of 5, but I know that if happy customers would submit positive reviews, the numbers would be different … Thank you, Oxford Auto Insurance for your great service. I will continue to do business with you and refer people. Thanks again.”
- Daisy, F. on BBB
Our Take On Oxford Auto Insurance
While some of Oxford Auto Insurance’s advertised rates and 90-percent customer satisfaction rating seem too good to be true, it does appear to have good customer service and satisfaction overall.
However, since Oxford Auto Insurance doesn’t provide insurance on its own, your car insurance cost will vary depending on what provider Oxford links you with. When you request a quote, Oxford will pull quotes from different auto insurance providers ranging from large to small including Progressive car insurance, Falcon Insurance Company, Founders Insurance Company, and more.
All in all, if you’re based in the Chicagoland area and want incredibly cheap insurance, it’s worth giving Oxford Auto Insurance some consideration.
Our Recommendations For Auto Insurance
If you do not live in Chicago or are not interested in working with a broker, make sure you’ve covered all your bases and gotten free quotes from several trusted providers. Use this tool to do your own research on providers or call our team at (844) 246-8209 for an even easier process.
We’ve already looked into some of the best auto insurance companies in the U.S. for you. Here are a few that might interest you.
USAA Insurance: 5.0 Stars
If low insurance rates are what you’re after, USAA car insurance should be at the top of your list. This company had the lowest average annual premium out of all the providers we reviewed. However, it only serves military members, veterans, and their families, so if you don’t fall into one of those categories, keep reading to learn more about another top provider. For more on insurance coverage offered by USAA, read our full USAA auto insurance review.
Geico Insurance: 4.5 Stars
Geico is a reputable and trustworthy auto insurance provider with reasonable rates and good coverage options. If you’re looking for affordable insurance, Geico is worth considering, especially for drivers who are not affiliated with the military. To learn more, read our full review of Geico auto insurance.
Read our other insurance articles: