We look into the auto insurer’s company reputation, cost, and coverage.
Plymouth Rock car insurance is available to drivers in six states in the Northeast. Going with a regional choice for insurance is often a smart choice, but does Plymouth Rock provide the coverage you need?
In this article, we will break down Plymouth Rock’s packages, claims process, and more. Then, we’ll see how it stands up to the best auto insurance providers.
Whenever you shop for coverage, we recommend getting quotes from multiple providers so you can compare coverage and insurance rates. In addition to the insurance company you choose, factors such as your age, vehicle make and model, and driving history can affect your premium, so what’s best for your neighbor might not be best for you.
Use our convenient quote tool or call (844) 246-8209 to start comparing personalized car insurance quotes.
In this article:
- Plymouth Rock At A Glance
- Plymouth Rock Car Insurance Coverage
- Cost Of Plymouth Rock Car Insurance
- Plymouth Rock Insurance Reviews
- Plymouth Rock Mobile App And Technology
- Our Take On Plymouth Rock Auto Insurance: 4.0 Stars
- Top Car Insurance Companies
Plymouth Rock At A Glance
Plymouth Rock Assurance was founded in Massachusetts in 1982, and it offers property and casualty insurance in multiple states. You can get Plymouth Rock car insurance in Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania.
In addition to car insurance, Plymouth Rock offers homeowners insurance, renters insurance, umbrella insurance, commercial insurance, and a few more products depending on the state. Plymouth Rock Assurance has an A- financial strength rating from AM Best. This is considered “excellent” by the rating company, which is especially good to see for a smaller company.
Like many other car insurance companies, Plymouth Rock is actually a group of companies that work under one umbrella. Other Plymouth Rock affiliates include:
- Mt. Washington Assurance Corporation
- Palisades Insurance Company
- High Point Property and Casualty Insurance Company
- Teachers Auto Insurance Company of New Jersey
- Pilgrim Insurance Company
- Twin Lights Insurance Company
Plymouth Rock also purchased 21st Century’s New York auto insurance business in 2018. That means some Plymouth Rock car insurance customers have policies that are underwritten by 21st Century Insurance.
Why does this matter? Well, it matters primarily for mobile users. Plymouth Rock has a mobile app but customers with 21st Century policies aren't able to access their mobile ID cards on the app, which is a significant inconvenience for mobile users.
Plymouth Rock Car Insurance Coverage
- Bodily Injury Liability (BI)
- Property Damage Liability (PD)
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
- Medical Payments (MedPay)
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)
Plymouth Rock Assurance Packages
When you purchase a policy with Plymouth Rock, you automatically get the Essential Assurance package. If you are a member of a motor club or if you’ve had Plymouth Rock car insurance for three years, you get upgraded to the Assurance Plus package.
Whether or not you get upgraded to Assurance Plus, you can still purchase an upgrade to Assurance Preferred or Assurance Premier. Assurance Premier is the highest benefit level.
Here are Essential Assurance coverage options:
- Crashbusters: You can schedule the time and place of an inspection, and a Crashbusters van will meet you there.
- Door-to-door valet claims service: Plymouth Rock can pick up your car, take it to the shop, and deliver it after being repaired.
- Guaranteed repairs: Plymouth Rock guarantees repairs done at certain participating shops.
- Get Home Safe: Plymouth Rock auto insurance covers your taxi ride home if you feel unsafe to drive once per year.
- Online services: Pay your bill and manage your account online.
- Pledge of Assurance: Plymouth Rock will donate to a charity of your choice if you have a bad customer experience with the company.
Here’s what you get with the three upgrades for Plymouth Rock car insurance:
|Additional rental coverage||Roadside assistance||Roadside assistance|
|Mobile device replacement||Waived windshield replacement deductible||Deductible dollars ($50 per year)|
|Pet injury coverage||Additional towing and labor coverage||Trip interruption coverage|
|Laptop replacement||Waived depreciation||New car replacement|
|Seatbelt/airbag benefits||Airbag accidental discharge coverage||Plus one car replacement|
|Child car seat benefits||Increased pet injury coverage||Loan/lease gap coverage|
|Personal property coverage||Electronic key replacement|
|Waived collision deductible*|
|Enhanced bail bond coverage|
|Waived glass repair deductible|
*Under Assurance Plus, your collision deductible is waived if you get hit by another Plymouth Rock driver only.
You can also add the following coverage options to any plan level:
- Accident forgiveness
- Full glass coverage
- $100 glass deductible
- Waiver of deductible
- New car replacement
- Loan/lease gap coverage
Cost Of Plymouth Rock Car Insurance
We received Plymouth Rock auto insurance quotes in Massachusetts for a driver with the following profile:
- 40-year-old male
- Owner of a 2015 Toyota RAV4
- Owner of a home in Allston, MA
- Clean driving record
For minimum coverage, Plymouth Rock quoted our driver $524 per year, which is on par with the average for Massachusetts car insurance. Similarly, quotes for full coverage with 50/100/50 and 100/300/100 limits matched the state’s average prices.
At first glance, that seems like a good thing. However, remember that our driver is an ideal candidate for car insurance: a homeowner between the ages of 30 and 65 with a clean driving record. With those stats, we’d expect slightly better rates from Plymouth Rock.
Plymouth Rock Auto Insurance Discounts
Plymouth Rock doesn't publish a full list of discounts. The company lists each coverage option by state, so you’d think it would include discounts as well. A few discounts mentioned around the company’s website include:
- Motor club member discount
- Multi-policy discount
- Multi-car discount
- Student away at school discount
- Good driver discount
You’ll have to speak with a local agent to get the full list of Plymouth Rock discounts available to you.
Getting A Quote With Plymouth Rock Car Insurance
It’s fairly simple to get an online quote from Plymouth Rock. In our test, it took about five minutes to get to the pricing screen. You'll need to have information about your car, other drivers in your family, and your current insurance ready. You can see how your Plymouth Rock quote compares to other companies by providing similar information using the tool below or by calling (844) 246-8209.
Plymouth Rock Insurance Reviews
In our research, we found that Plymouth Rock insurance reviews are mostly negative, though there aren't many reviews to work with overall. Looking at the company’s BBB page, we can see that it has an A+ rating. However, there is only one positive customer review and it’s for Plymouth Rock home insurance rather than auto. Given the relatively low number of total reviews on the BBB page, this isn't necessarily a red flag.
Negative Plymouth Rock car insurance reviews tend to highlight issues with the claims process and coverage being denied. Several reviewers also noted that the company increased their premiums without reason.
J.D. Power’s 2021 U.S. Auto Insurance StudySM surveyed thousands of insurance customers in each region of the country to find out which brands were best. Plymouth Rock ranked tenth in the Mid-Atlantic region with a score of 827 out of 1,000.
Plymouth Rock Mobile App And Technology
Here’s how consumers rate Plymouth Rock’s app:
|Store||Star Rating||Number of Votes|
|The App Store||1.3||228|
According to the app’s description, drivers with Plymouth Rock auto insurance can report claims, view insurance cards, find a repair shop, pay bills, and change payment plans from their mobile devices. However, after reading through some of the reviews, it seems like drivers can’t actually do much of that.
Some customers say the app automatically reroutes them to their driver profile whenever they click on a link to do something else. Others say the app won’t load their ID card or let them access their policy. Some also say the app won’t register a payment plan change or let them pay their bill.
Road Rewards is Plymouth Rock’s telematics app. It tracks your driving and gives you a score based on how safe you are. However, it doesn't provide discounts on your insurance. Instead, it gives you points that you can redeem for gift cards to different businesses like Amazon or Starbucks.
Also, Road Rewards only gives points to people with Plymouth Rock car insurance policies in a few states. Anyone across the country can download the app and use it, but not everyone can redeem points. Here are the drivers who can get rewards with Road Rewards:
- Massachusetts drivers with a Plymouth Rock policy
- Connecticut drivers with a Plymouth Rock policy
- New Hampshire drivers with a Mt. Washington Assurance policy
- New Jersey drivers with a Palisades policy
- Pennsylvania drivers with a Palisades policy
Our Take On Plymouth Rock Auto Insurance: 4.0 Stars
We gave Plymouth Rock auto insurance a rating of 4.0 out of 5.0 stars. The insurer offers many extra benefits alongside strong industry ratings, but it charges customers average insurance prices with less-than-average customer service.
Automatic upgrade to Assurance Plus package after three years
Only available in 6 states
Simple quotes process
Available discounts not published online
A+ rating from the BBB
Poor customer reviews
Top Car Insurance Companies
If you live in a state where you can get Plymouth Rock car insurance, you may also want to consider policies from a few other top-rated companies. We rounded up the best car insurance companies and compared them on the following criteria:
- Financial strength
- Customer service
- Cost and discounts
Needless to say, some companies performed better than others. We think Geico and USAA are great alternatives to Plymouth Rock car insurance.
See how your Plymouth Rock quote compares to other companies by using the tool below or by calling (844) 246-8209.
Geico: Best Overall
As the second-largest insurance company in the United States, Geico offers some of the best rates in the nation and has a financial strength rating of A++. The company has been around since 1936, but there are many more reasons to get a quote from Geico.
Geico has 15 different discounts for drivers. Some of the best discounts are for students, military personnel, multi-policy customers, and government employees. It’s hard not to qualify for a discount with Geico, which is one reason the company has great rates.
Geico also has a robust app that lets you request roadside assistance, pay your bill, file a claim, and more. The app has great ratings from hundreds of thousands of customers. With the app, you can chat with a personal assistant when you have questions about your policy or your recent claim.
Lastly, you can get Geico’s DriveEasy app in some states. Participation in this program can earn you a discount of up to 20 percent on your premiums.
Learn more by reading our complete Geico auto insurance review.
USAA: Best For Military
USAA is another great choice for car insurance in the Northeast. Insurance quotes from USAA tend to be lower than even Geico’s quotes, but there are some restrictions to eligibility. To get USAA insurance, you have to be a member of the military, a veteran, or an immediate family member.
If you think you might be eligible, we recommend getting a quote. USAA scored very high on J.D. Power’s 2020 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study and 2021 U.S. Insurance Shopping Study. USAA also has a great app, which we think is an important factor to look for in your car insurance company.
Read our USAA auto insurance review for more details.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read our other insurance articles:
- Jupiter Car Insurance Review
- Missouri Farm Bureau Insurance Review
- Auto Club Enterprise Insurance Review
- Safeway Auto Insurance Review
- Utica Insurance Review
- GoAuto Insurance Review
- Rural Mutual Insurance Review
- National General Auto Insurance Review
- Fremont Auto Insurance Review
- State Auto Insurance Review