USAA insurance reviews well in the industry for a reason.
Designed for military members and their families, USAA stands out for its low rates, opportunities for discounts, and exceptional customer service. USAA auto insurance reviews are overwhelmingly positive. In our research into the best car insurance on the market, USAA was the only insurance company that we rated 5.0 out of 5.0 stars of more than 30 industry leaders.
If you qualify, a closer look at the provider’s coverage options, cost, and reviews will help you determine whether or not an auto policy with USAA is right for you.
Whenever you shop for car insurance, we recommend getting quotes from multiple providers so you can compare coverage and rates. Use our simple tool above to start comparing free, personalized auto insurance quotes.
In this article:
- USAA Highlights
- USAA Auto Insurance Coverage
- USAA Cost And Discounts
- USAA Auto Insurance Reviews And Ratings
- USAA Mobile Apps
- Our Take On USAA Auto Insurance: 5.0 Stars
- Other Top Car Insurance Providers
- Frequently Asked Questions
Company Name: United Services Automobile Association (USAA)
Headquarters: San Antonio, TX
Availability: 50 states
Members Served: Over 12.8 million
Market Share: 6 percent in 2019 according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC)
AM Best Financial Strength Rating: A++ (Superior)
Better Business Bureau (BBB) Rating: A-
Eligibility: Only available to U.S. military members and their families
USAA Auto Insurance Coverage
USAA offers standard types of car insurance, including:
- Bodily injury and property damage liability
- Collision coverage
- Comprehensive coverage
- Medical payments
- Personal injury protection
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage
Additional Coverage With USAA
USAA members can also get a variety of add-on products and services from roadside assistance to glass coverage. Here’s a closer look:
|USAA Insurance Coverage||Details|
|Roadside Assistance||This optional coverage gives you peace of mind if something should malfunction while you are driving. Services include towing, lockout services, jump-starts, flat tire changes, and gas delivery.|
|Rental Reimbursement||While your vehicle is in the shop for repairs after an accident, you can receive rental car coverage through USAA.|
|Accident Forgiveness||Though accident forgiveness insurance requires an additional charge, you receive no increase in premiums after an at-fault accident. If you remain accident-free for five years, this plan is available at no cost.|
|Glass Coverage||You don’t have to pay out of pocket for windshield or window repairs. This plan is included with comprehensive plans in South Carolina, Kentucky, Florida, and Massachusetts. It is also available for an additional fee in New York, Minnesota, Connecticut, and Arizona.|
|Guaranteed Asset Protection (GAP)||If you finance a vehicle, this protection covers the difference between what the car is worth versus what is owed during a total loss. You pay only a deductible.|
|Car Replacement Assistance (CRA)||The biggest difference between this plan and GAP insurance is that CRA pays 20% more than the replacement cost of your vehicle.|
|Rideshare Insurance||If you drive for Uber or Lyft, you're covered when you're waiting to pick up or drop off a passenger.|
USAA Cost And Discounts
We called USAA to get a sample quote for a single, 25-year old female driver who had a 2016 Honda Fit with 50,000 miles. Our driver had no accidents or tickets and lived in Raleigh, N.C. A USAA representative quoted us $424.70 for a six-month policy or $70.78 per month.
But the price of insurance varies from individual to individual. USAA uses the following information to determine your insurance premium:
- Driver age: Drivers under the age of 25 will pay more for an insurance policy.
- Driving history: Safe drivers with no accidents and no tickets receive lower premiums.
- Vehicle make and model: As with many car insurance companies, USAA factors in the cost to repair and replace your vehicle when determining your premium. Some vehicles are naturally more expensive to insure.
- Vehicle location: Car insurance rates are higher for urban areas.
- Vehicle usage: The more the vehicle is used, the higher the rates will be.
Things like vehicle color, where you park at night, and having a loan will not affect premiums. The USAA insurance score is calculated from your credit report but doesn’t have any effect on credit scores. Furthermore, the company doesn’t actually see your credit score, so that doesn’t change your premium either.
One way policyholders can save on car insurance is by qualifying for discounts.
|USAA Insurance Discount||Discount Eligibility|
|Safe Driver||Save money by having a good driving record for more than five years.|
|SafePilotTM||Earn a discount by using the SafePilot app to track your driving habits.|
|Defensive Driving||Get a lower premium by taking an approved defensive driving course.|
|Driver Training Course||Save money by taking a driver training course (only available for drivers under the age of 21).|
|Good Student||Save by maintaining a GPA of at least 3.0 (only available to students).|
|New Vehicle||Get lower rates when your vehicle is less than three years old.|
|Multi-Vehicle||Earn a discount when you own two or more vehicles.|
|Annual Mileage||Save money based on the number of miles driven each year (only available for drivers over the age of 19).|
|Vehicle Storage||Save up to 60% by storing an insured car.|
|Family Discount||Earn a discount when you have other family members insured with USAA.|
|Length of Membership||Save by remaining a USAA member for several years.|
|Military Installation||Save up to 15% by storing your vehicle in a garage on a military base.|
|Multi-Policy||Save up to 10% by bundling auto insurance with home or renters insurance.|
To see how much you could save on your car insurance premium, simply call (844) 246-8209 or use our easy quote comparison tool:
USAA Auto Insurance Reviews And Ratings
USAA has top marks for customer satisfaction, which is one reason it's the best car insurance for veterans, active military, and their families. The 2020 U.S. Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study℠ from J.D. Power lists USAA insurance as the highest-rated choice in every region of the U.S. – beating competitors like State Farm, Geico, Progressive, and Allstate. The company also scored well in the shopping process and claims satisfaction in separate studies.
Positive USAA Insurance Reviews
Looking at USAA auto insurance reviews, it’s clear how the majority of customers feel.
“I've had USAA insurance, home and auto, for over 20 years [with] no problems. Last accident [I received] forgiveness. They were very courteous and no problems at all.”
-D. Thomas via BBB
“I’ve been a USAA customer since 1980. My premiums appear to be less than most other companies (even though I carry a great deal of liability coverage) and, what’s more important, I’ve had several claims. USAA’s claims department is without peer in the industry. They are, without question, exceptional.”
-Jim T. via Quora
Negative USAA Insurance Reviews
As with any insurance company, there are complaints out there too.
"My service keeps getting worse and my bill keeps going up... Currently, my yearly insurance is more than my car's total worth."
-Ryan A. via BBB
"Overpriced insurance with manipulative advertising. Find better elsewhere."
-Ian via Trustpilot
USAA’s BBB complaints tend to be answered and resolved regularly. In the insurance industry, it’s challenging to make everyone happy, but the fact that the company responds and attempts to work things out after negative USAA car insurance reviews are posted says a lot about the insurer.
USAA Mobile Apps
The main USAA mobile app has a 4.6-star rating in the Google Play Store. You can use it for your insurance policies, banking needs, and other services. It's easy to view your car insurance ID card, file insurance claims, and request roadside assistance. You can also view an accident checklist so you know what to do after experiencing an automobile accident.
Drivers interested in usage-based car insurance savings should download SafePilot. There's a discount of up to five percent just for downloading the app and enrolling in the safe driving program. Your trips will be automatically logged and scored, so you don't need to open the app every time you drive. Practices like giving yourself enough time to brake when stopping help your score, while accelerating too quickly or driving late at night can decrease the score. When it's time for your USAA auto insurance policy to renew, you'll earn up to 20 percent off.
Although the USAA mobile app is highly rated by customers, the SafePilot app only has a 2.4-star rating in the App Store. Customers with USAA insurance left reviews saying that the app gave them lower scores for behaviors that they did not consider to be unsafe.
Our Take On USAA Auto Insurance: 5.0 Stars
We rated USAA 5.0 out of 5.0 stars and named it the Best for Military in 2021. Its comprehensive car insurance coverage, nationwide availability, positive USAA auto insurance reviews, and high ratings from J.D. Power make it a smart choice for U.S. military families.
|Affordable rates and numerous discounts||Only available to the military and their families|
|Good choice for military service members|
|Superior financial strength rating and A- rating from the BBB|
Other Top Car Insurance Providers
Of course, not everyone will qualify for USAA auto insurance – and even if you do qualify, we still recommend getting multiple insurance quotes to ensure you end up with the coverage that’s right for you.
USAA auto insurance reviews are strong, and so are ratings for three more of the nation's top insurance companies. We scored each of these providers at 4.5 stars:
- Geico maintains an A+ rating with the BBB and has an A++ rating in financial strength from AM Best. The insurer has exceptional coverage for military members, as well as students, and is the second-largest auto insurance company in the U.S. Learn more in our complete Geico auto insurance review.
- Progressive stands out for its accident forgiveness and low rates for high-risk drivers. Young drivers and those with a DUI on record may find the best coverage with the provider. Learn more about how Progressive compares in our Progressive auto insurance review.
- State Farm earned high rankings in J.D. Power insurance studies and has over 83 million policies and accounts. We found State Farm auto insurance to be one of the best choices for students and teenagers. Learn more in our full State Farm auto insurance review.
Use the tool below or call (844) 246-8209 to start comparing personalized car insurance quotes:
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read our other insurance articles: