Looking for a reliable way to ship your car across the country? In this review, we take a close look at Sherpa Auto Transport reviews, services, and costs to help you decide whether it's your best option.
Of course, final car shipping costs depend on your vehicle and transportation preferences. We recommend comparing rates from the best car shipping companies, including Sherpa, to find the right price.
In this article:
- Sherpa Auto Transport Overview
- How Much Does Sherpa Auto Transport Cost?
- Sherpa Auto Transport Car Shipping Services
- Sherpa Auto Transport Car Shipping Process
- Sherpa Auto Transport Reviews
- Our Take On Sherpa Auto Transport: 4.5 Stars
- Other Recommendations For Car Shipping
- FAQ: Sherpa Auto Transport
Sherpa Auto Transport Overview
Headquarters: Charlotte, North Carolina
Service Area: Continental United States
Sherpa Auto Transport is a relatively young auto shipping company. It is notable for its locked-in prices and Clean Car Guarantee. Sherpa can ship your vehicle anywhere in the U.S. and aims to provide top-of-the-line customer service.
|Sherpa Auto Transport Pros||Sherpa Auto Transport Cons|
Price Lock Promise guarantees you won’t pay more
than your quoted rate
|Slightly more expensive than competitors’ initial quotes|
|Vetted network of insured carriers||No terminal-to-terminal vehicle shipping option|
|Easy-to-use booking process and quick shipper matching||No instant online quotes|
A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB)
and very few customer complaints
|Free car wash included with every transport|
How Much Does Sherpa Auto Transport Cost?
According to our cost analysis research, Sherpa Auto Transport costs are above average for the industry. We were able to get a quote to ship an operable SUV in open transport from Los Angeles to Houston for $1,300.
Keep in mind that Sherpa guarantees its prices. This means Sherpa quotes a higher price initially and finds carriers within that price. Other providers may quote a lower price and then raise the final cost when carriers won't do it for the lower price.
To give you a better idea of overall Sherpa pricing, the table below reveals some of the quotes we received during our research.
|Shipping Distance||Type of Vehicle||Type of Transport||Sherpa Auto Transport Price|
Los Angeles to Houston
Los Angeles to Houston
Los Angeles to Houston
New York to San Francisco
While Sherpa shipping costs are slightly higher than other auto transport companies we’ve surveyed, they’re still competitive. This is especially true considering that other car transport companies only quote estimates that often go up due to added fees and carrier availability by the time a shipment is completed.
Our team found the average quote for a 1,500-mile open-car shipment between cities is about $1,145. The Sherpa quote we received for this distance was $1,300. However, as mentioned, customers often pay higher final prices with other companies.
If you’re looking for the cheapest auto shipping option, you may find it with Sherpa. However, it’s also a good idea to shop around and compare quotes.
What Affects The Cost Of Auto Shipping
According to our consumer survey on the auto shipping experience, a massive 80 percent of respondents said cost was the most important factor in choosing a shipping company. We recommend Sherpa because your final cost is not likely to rise as it could with other competitors.
Your Sherpa Auto Transport cost will depend on a number of factors, such as:
- Size of car
- Weight of car
- Vehicle condition (operable or inoperable)
- Shipping distance
- Type of transport (open or enclosed)
- Season (costs are higher in January and the summer months)
The more in advance you book, the lower your price is likely to be. Sherpa offers a military discount that can further reduce your cost if you are a member of the armed forces.
After you book with Sherpa, you will need to make a partial advance payment. Based on our quotes and Sherpa Auto Transport reviews we’ve come across, this is likely to be around $300.
Sherpa Auto Transport Car Shipping Services
Door-to-door shipping: Yes
Terminal-to-terminal shipping: No
Enclosed shipping: Yes
Open shipping: Yes
Motorcycle/ATV shipping: No
Expedited transport: Available in some areas
Sherpa will ship standard as well as exotic and classic vehicles. Sherpa also offers to ship inoperable vehicles but at an added cost. Expedited shipping is available only in select areas.
All Sherpa carriers are registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and are required to maintain a satisfactory U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) safety rating. Sherpa carriers are also required to maintain the following minimum levels of insurance coverage:
- No less than $100,000 in coverage per shipment
- Commercial automobile liability insurance with a combined single limit of no less than $1,000,000 per occurrence
While your vehicle is being shipped with Sherpa, you will have access to 24/7 real-time updates through Sherpa customer support. You can be automatically notified with updates, or you can call Sherpa to inquire about your vehicle status. Many Sherpa Auto Transport reviews mention this as a helpful service.
Finally, Sherpa Auto Transport includes a “Clean Car Guarantee” with all shipments. This means you’ll receive a $20 reimbursement for a car wash after your vehicle has been delivered. To get this rebate, you will need to mail Sherpa your car wash receipt.
Sherpa Auto Transport Car Shipping Process
Sherpa Auto Transport is an auto transport broker. This means you contact Sherpa, and Sherpa will arrange transport services with a carrier from its dedicated network based on your shipment needs. For most individuals, working through a broker is the best way to find an auto shipping carrier.
Here's an overview of how to ship a car with Sherpa Auto Transport:
- Call for a quote or request a quote online. After you complete the quote request, a Sherpa agent will contact you by phone call or email.
- Book your order and make the initial payment. This can be made with a credit card and varies depending on the total cost. Initial payments tend to be around $300.
- Clean out your car and remove personal belongings and aftermarket accessories. You will need to leave a quarter of a tank of gas in the car. Sherpa will tell you when to expect your driver within a two- to four-hour window.
- After the driver arrives, both you and the driver will inspect the vehicle for existing damage. Your car is then loaded onto the carrier.
- During transport, a Sherpa agent will contact you with updates. You will again be given a two- to four-hour window within which to expect your driver at your destination.
- After you inspect the car to ensure there has been no damage during shipment, you will sign a bill of lading and pay your remaining balance to the driver. The final payment must be made with cash or a certified check.
You can cancel at any time prior to the assignment of a carrier but will be charged a $25 dispatch fee. If you cancel after a carrier has been assigned, you must forfeit your initial payment.
What To Know For A Successful Auto Shipment
When utilizing the services of a company in the auto transport industry, keep these things in mind to have a stress-free shipment:
- Be flexible: Car shipping is a complex process with many moving parts. The more flexible you can be with pickup and drop-off dates as well as pricing, the better your experience.
- Remember quotes can change: Now, Sherpa is a unique case since it guarantees its shipping quotes, but this isn't the rule in the industry. With Sherpa, you should be aware that it can take a bit more time to secure a carrier for the guaranteed price, depending on market availability.
- File claims with the carrier: If you notice new damage on your vehicle after shipment, note it on the bill of lading and have the driver sign off on it. You'll then file a claim with the carrier, not Sherpa. You can reach out to Sherpa for help in contacting the carrier.
Sherpa Auto Transport Reviews
Sherpa Auto Transport reviews are mostly excellent. The company has an A+ rating and accreditation from the BBB. The customer review score is also high, at 4.9 out of 5 stars based on more than 200 reviews. Only six complaints have been filed against Sherpa through the BBB in the last three years.
Positive Sherpa Auto Transport Reviews
Those who praise Sherpa Auto Transport mention a smooth pickup and delivery process. Customers are also satisfied with the top-notch customer service and how quickly the process moves from booking to delivery.
“Great service and very knowledgeable. Set up the transport very quickly, and my car got picked up and delivered in less than a week and a half. Highly recommended.” - Eli S. via BBB
“[Sherpa was] honest from the get-go and extremely communicative. There was a delay with my car due to driver problems, and they let me know right away and kept me up to date with all developments. Most importantly, my car arrived in perfect condition!” - Meghan W. via BBB
Negative Sherpa Auto Transport Reviews
Not every customer has a good experience with Sherpa. Some have complained about rude drivers.
“[My vehicle] arrived late, [was] unloaded in the wrong location, [and had] multiple points of damage, including a completely shattered back window. I could not reach [Sherpa] customer service to make a claim, and so far I have had to contact my own insurance agency to try to deal with fixing the car.” - Sean M. via BBB
Feedback like this represents only around one percent of Sherpa Auto Transport reviews on the BBB webpage. With such a large network of carriers, not every driver will be perfect. Sherpa appears to make a strong effort to address all customer complaints.
Overall, Sherpa’s customer reputation is one of the best among auto transport companies.
Our Take On Sherpa Auto Transport: 4.5 Stars
Sherpa Auto Transport is an excellent choice for auto shipping. The company features a "Price Lock Promise" and works with a large network of vetted and insured carriers. According to Sherpa Auto Transport reviews, the company has a knack for high-quality customer service.
However, Sherpa prices may not be the lowest around. The company does not offer terminal-to-terminal shipping services, which are often the cheapest way to move your vehicle across the country. We believe Sherpa makes up for this with its transparent pricing, however.
We recommend planning your shipment in advance to give Sherpa enough time to secure a carrier at a good price.
Other Recommendations For Car Shipping
Sherpa may be a great auto transporter for your needs, but as mentioned, it’s always smart to get quotes from multiple providers before signing a contract. Here are two other auto transport companies we highly recommend if you need to ship a car.
Montway Auto Transport: 4.5 Stars
Montway Auto Transport works with over 15,000 carriers across the nation that bid on customers’ shipments. The company can ship vehicles to and from anywhere in the U.S., offering both Alaska and Hawaii car shipping.
Montway Auto Transport reviews indicate the company can be trusted with your vehicle. It has an A+ rating from the BBB and a 4.3 out of 5.0-star rating on Trustpilot based on over 930 customer reviews. Positive Montway reviews mention timely delivery and excellent communication.
Montway offers competitive rates for a variety of shipping services, including open and enclosed transport. There are no listing fees, but there is a $200 cancellation fee.
uShip: 4.0 Stars
uShip is a shipping marketplace that helps customers find a carrier to ship their vehicles anywhere in the U.S. You can even get overseas shipping services through uShip. It’s quick and simple to post a request and compare a wide range of offers.
Like Montway and Sherpa Auto Transport, uShip has an excellent customer service reputation. It holds an A+ rating from the BBB and has a customer review score of 4.5 out of 5.0 on Trustpilot based on nearly 11,000 reviews. In our industry-wide review of the best car shipping companies, we named uShip the Best Car Shipping Marketplace because of its size and quality.
Find out more by reading our full uShip review.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of car shipping companies to formulate rankings of the best transporters. Providers receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Reputation: Shippers with a history of strong business practices and endorsements from experts receive the highest scores in this category.
- Cost: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of shipping routes, distances, and vehicles. Companies with lower prices and many discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Services: This rating is based on types of auto transport services available, insurance coverage, and the ability to guarantee pick-up and dropoff dates.
- Customer Experience: We comb through customer reviews and perform our own shopper analysis to get a sense of the responsiveness and helpfulness of each car transporter.