If you’re looking for auto insurance in The Last Frontier, you’ll want to find a company that can offer you the best coverage for the best price. But who offers the cheapest car insurance quotes in Alaska?
It can be complicated to find Alaska auto insurance, especially if you don’t understand the state’s requirements. In this guide, we’ll break down minimum coverage requirements, average insurance costs, and our recommendations for where to get the best car insurance quotes in Alaska.
You should always get multiple car insurance quotes before deciding so that you can choose the provider that best fits your needs. Enter your zip code in the tool below to start getting free car insurance quotes in Alaska.
In this article:
- Factors That Affect Car Insurance Quotes In Alaska
- What Is The Average Cost Of Car Insurance In Alaska?
- How To Get Cheap Car Insurance Quotes In Alaska
- What If I Can’t Afford The Minimum Insurance In Alaska?
- Recommendations For Car Insurance Quotes In Alaska
Factors That Affect Car Insurance Quotes In Alaska
Car insurance rates are personalized, meaning car insurance quotes in Alaska could be vastly different than those drivers receive in Florida. But location isn’t the only thing that determines how much you pay for coverage. Here are some of the main factors that influence car insurance quotes:
- Marital status
- Vehicle make and model
- Credit score
- Discounts you qualify for
- Driving record
- Coverage type and limits
Alaska Minimum Car Insurance Requirements
Before getting car insurance quotes in Alaska, it helps to know how much coverage you need. Every state sets minimum requirements for car insurance. In Alaska, drivers must have liability auto insurance, which covers other parties’ medical expenses and property repairs after an accident you cause.
Drivers in Alaska have the following minimum liability requirements:
- Bodily injury liability: $50,000 per person and $100,000 per accident
- Property damage liability: $25,000
Even though full coverage auto insurance is not required in the state of Alaska, it is still a good idea to have so you can avoid being financially responsible for your own medical bills and repairs to your vehicle.
Other types of insurance coverage that you can purchase include:
- Medical payments (MedPay): This covers the costs of vehicle-related medical bills for both yourself and your passengers, regardless of whether you or another driver is at fault in an accident.
- Collision car insurance: This covers your vehicle after an accident regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive car insurance: This covers damages to your vehicle that aren’t due to a collision, including theft, vandalism, natural disasters, civil disturbances, and more.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM): This protects you in the case that you get into an accident with someone who doesn’t have enough insurance and consequently can’t cover your expenses.
What Is The Average Cost Of Car Insurance In Alaska?
According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), drivers in Alaska spent an average of $930.20 on car insurance in 2017. However, your own Alaska car insurance quotes may look different depending on the factors mentioned above.
Here are the average rates for each type of auto insurance, according to the NAIC:
|Type of Coverage||Average Annual Expenditure In Alaska|
*Most drivers carry liability coverage but not necessarily other types of auto insurance. Total average annual expenditure measures what Alaska drivers actually spent on auto insurance in 2017.
Based on this study, car insurance quotes in Alaska are low compared to the national average of $1,004.58.
How To Get Cheap Car Insurance Quotes In Alaska
The best way to find cheap car insurance quotes in Alaska is to reach out and to multiple reputable insurers, then compare the prices and discounts you qualify for.
Here are some popular discounts you may come across when requesting car insurance quotes in Alaska:
- Good driver discount
- Student discount
- Multi-policy discount
- Multi-vehicle discount
- Anti-theft discount
- Home insurance bundling discount
Some companies, such as State Farm and Progressive, offer usage-based insurance programs that provide discounts based on your driving habits and how many miles you drive. Choosing a higher deductible can also lower the cost of your insurance premium, but you’ll need to make sure you can pay that deductible if you ever cause an accident.
What If I Can’t Afford The Minimum Insurance In Alaska?
A lapse in coverage can cause your auto insurance rates to go up, so it’s best to avoid skipping insurance altogether. Canceling your insurance to save money in the short term, you could end up spending more in the long term because it will be harder to find affordable rates. We recommend voicing your cost concerns to your insurance agent and asking about discounts or shopping around to get a lower price from another insurer.
Driving without the minimum levels of insurance in Alaska can result in a traffic citation or vehicle impoundment. If you fail to provide proof of insurance to the Department of Motor Vehicles within 15 days, state laws mandate that your driver's license will be suspended for 90 days on the first occurrence or one year on the second occurrence.
Recommendations For Car Insurance Quotes In Alaska
We’ve reviewed the best car insurance companies in the country and ranked them based on factors such as coverage, discounts, customer reviews, and more. We recommend the following providers for car insurance quotes in Alaska.
Where To Get Cheap Car
Insurance Quotes In Alaska
|Motor1 Rating||Customer Service||Affordability||Coverage|
|1. Geico Car Insurance||4.6||4.5||4.7||4.3|
|2. USAA Car Insurance||4.8||4.7||5.0||4.8|
|3. State Farm Car Insurance||4.6||4.6||4.5||4.5|
|4. AAA Car Insurance||4.1||4.5||3.5||4.3|
|5. Progressive Auto Insurance||4.6||4.1||4.7||4.5|
*You may notice that some car insurance companies are listed above those with higher star ratings. This is because our star ratings take into account nationwide factors, while our ranking looks specifically at what insurance providers are best for car insurance in Alaska.
Read on to learn more about our top two picks, or enter your zip code below to start getting free quotes and to find out which provider can offer you the lowest car insurance quotes in Alaska.
#1 Geico: Best Overall
We rate Geico 4.6 out of 5.0 stars overall. The company is known for its affordability, and many Geico auto insurance reviews praise the insurer for its simple claims process. On top of low prices, the insurer has a number of discounts that you may be eligible for.
Geico holds an A+ on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and an A++ from AM Best. Although it is not ranked the highest in any region, it holds above average ratings in nearly every region in the J.D. Power 2021 U.S. Auto Insurance Satisfaction StudySM.
#2 USAA: Best For Military
Our team rates USAA a full 4.8 stars. If you’re in the military or the immediate family member of someone in the military, USAA can offer some of the lowest car insurance quotes in Alaska. This insurer has earned an A+ rating from the BBB and an A++ financial strength rating from AM Best.
USAA auto insurance reviews are overwhelmingly positive. The insurer tops every region in the country in the J.D. Power Satisfaction Study, though it’s not officially ranked in the study because of its exclusivity.
For a side-by-side comparison of coverage, discounts, and customer reviews, read our Geico vs. USAA review.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.