If you live in Utah, you may be considering Bear River Mutual, one of the oldest car insurance providers in the state. The company is known for its affordable coverage, but expert ratings aren’t all positive.
In this review, we’ll explore Bear River Mutual insurance coverage, discount opportunities, and customer reviews. We’ll then compare it to the providers that scored highest in our deep dive into the industry’s best auto insurance.
In this article:
- Bear River Mutual Overview
- Bear River Mutual Cost And Discounts
- Bear River Mutual Car Insurance Coverage
- Bear River Reviews And Ratings
- Our Take On Bear River Mutual
- Top Recommendations For Car Insurance
Bear River Mutual Overview
Bear River Mutual was founded in 1909, making it Utah’s oldest mutual casualty and property insurance company. As a mutual company, Bear River is owned by its policyholders, who reap the benefits of purchasing coverage from a mutual insurance company by receiving below-average premiums.
Bear River Mutual notes that it has strict qualification criteria and only allows the safest drivers to purchase policies, which helps keep costs down. Since it only serves the state of Utah, customers get a very personal experience when purchasing car insurance from Bear River.
Unfortunately, the insurance company doesn’t get the best ratings from experts. Bear River has a A- from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and an A- in financial strength from AM Best. While these ratings aren’t exceptionally low, they are lower than most every other leading provider in the auto insurance industry.
In addition to car insurance, customers can purchase RV, motor home, and trailer insurance.
Bear River Mutual Cost And Discounts
Bear River Mutual is known for its affordability. However, estimating the cost of car insurance is difficult because prices depend on individual factors like:
- Age and gender
- Marital status
- Vehicle make and model
- Age of car
- Driving history
- Driving activity
Our team has thoroughly researched cost estimates across the insurance industry and found that most drivers typically pay around $1,732 annually for comprehensive car insurance.
We compiled cost estimates from reputable insurance companies to provide you with a better idea of what you can expect to pay for coverage. The table below shows the cheapest car insurance providers by state using the driving profile of a 35-year-old married driver with a clean record and good driving history.
|State||Nationwide Annual Cost Estimate||State Average Cost Estimate|
With Bear River auto insurance, you have access to a few discounts including a claim-free discount and savings for bundling home and auto insurance.
Bear River Mutual Car Insurance Coverage
Bear River Mutual offers the following coverage options:
- Liability auto insurance: Covers motorists for damages or injuries they incur to third parties during an accident
- Collision insurance: Covers the cost of damage from collisions
- Comprehensive car insurance: Covers the cost of physical damage to your vehicle that isn’t caused by a collision (theft, vandalism, storms, and more)
- Personal injury protection (PIP): Covers the cost of medical bills, lost wages, and loss of services in the event you are injured in an accident
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage: Provides coverage for injuries caused by drivers without insurance or with too little insurance
- 24/7 roadside assistance: Covers the cost of lockouts, towing, and gas delivery
- Rental car reimbursement: Pays for the cost of a rental car when your vehicle is damaged
The first five types of auto insurance are standard. Roadside assistance and rental car reimbursement are add-ons offered by many insurers that can be nice to have after an accident or breakdown.
Bear River Reviews And Ratings
Given its low BBB rating, you might expect Bear River Mutual to have a lot of complaints from customers. But the insurer has 4.6 stars on Google reviews, based on more than 1,600 comments from drivers. Positive reviews highlight exceptional customer service and long-standing relationships, while negative reviews focus on issues with the claims process.
“I have been with Bear River Mutual for over 50 years... They are like family! Each and every time I have needed repairs or help with a claim, my experience has been easy with no stress! I would recommend them to anyone.”
- Kathie W. via Google reviews
“Loved this company until we filed our second claim in almost [five] years. They deemed us “risky customers” and dropped us without notice or warning. If prices seem too good to be true, they generally are… Stay far away.”
- Kayde G. via Google reviews
Our Take On Bear River Mutual
With more than 100 years of experience, Bear River Mutual is a reliable choice from car insurance. However, it has limited options for coverage and hardly any discounts. We think customers looking for great local service will be satisfied with Bear River, but those in need of more choices may want to look into a leading nationwide provider.
|In business since 1909||Only available in Utah|
|Low car insurance rates||Limited options for coverage|
|A- BBB rating|
Top Recommendations For Car Insurance
Whether or not Bear River Mutual checks all the boxes for you, it’s always a good idea to look into more than one insurer before making a final decision. Two providers that scored highly in our industry-wide review were Geico and Progressive.
Enter your zip code below or call (844) 246-8209 to compare free, personalized quotes between top auto insurance companies.
Geico: 4.6 Stars
With a strong financial foundation, expansive coverage, and reasonable rates, Geico was named Best Overall in our comparison of leading insurance providers. The second-largest auto insurer in the U.S. provides standard coverage plus options like roadside assistance, rental car reimbursement, and mechanical breakdown insurance. It has many opportunities to save, including a military discount, good student discount, and safe driver discount.
Learn more about coverage in our full Geico auto insurance review.
Progressive: 4.6 Stars
Progressive is a well-respected insurance company that has been in business since 1937. It has an A+ financial strength rating from AM Best. In addition to standard coverage, you can get custom parts and equipment coverage, loan/lease payoff, and more with Progressive. Due to programs like small and large accident forgiveness, our research team named the insurer Best for High-Risk Drivers.
Read our complete Progressive auto insurance review to find out more.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.