See how this international company stands up against leading insurers.
Originally founded in Spain, MAPFRE Insurance has been around since 1933 and now has offices in more than 100 countries. In the United States, you can purchase a range of insurance products if you live in one of the states where MAPFRE has insurance agents.
Here, we’ll go through everything you need to know about MAPFRE auto insurance plans, including insurance discounts, overall cost, customer reviews, and industry reputation. MAPFRE didn’t end up on our list of the best car insurance companies of 2021, but we’ll let you know how it stacks up to leading providers.
Enter your zip code below or call (844) 246-8209 to compare free, personalized quotes between top providers.
In this article:
- MAPFRE Insurance Overview
- MAPFRE Car Insurance Coverage
- MAPFRE Insurance Cost And Discounts
- MAPFRE Insurance Reviews And Ratings
- Apps And Technology
- Our Take On MAPFRE Insurance: 3.5 Stars
- Top Recommendations For Auto Insurance
- FAQ: MAPFRE Insurance
MAPFRE Insurance Overview
MAPFRE stands for Mutualidad de la Agrupación de Propietarios de Fincas Rústicas de España, or Mutuality Association of Owners of Rural Properties in Spain. The Spanish-born company acquired The Commerce Group in the U.S. in 1972 and now does business under a group of different companies, including:
- American Commerce Insurance Company
- Citation Insurance Company
- The Commerce Insurance Company
- Commerce Insurance West Company
- MAPFRE Insurance Company
- MAPFRE Insurance Company of Florida
You can get MAPFRE car insurance in 19 states:
|Arizona||Indiana||New Jersey||Rhode Island|
Overall, MAPFRE Insurance offers a range of insurance coverages and a solid list of discounts. It also includes a rather long list of value programs that include options like disappearing deductibles, a safe driving app, and a partnership with TeenSMART – a program that offers training and certification to young drivers.
MAPFRE Insurance has a moderately strong standing in the insurance industry as well. It has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and an A rating in financial strength from AM Best, so you know it can pay customer auto insurance claims. On the other hand, MAPFRE tends to have high premiums and a high number of complaints from customers.
MAPFRE Car Insurance Coverage
You can get standard types of coverage through MAPFRE Insurance:
- Liability auto insurance
- Collision insurance
- Comprehensive car insurance
- Medical payments (MedPay)
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage
You also have the option to add more specialized vehicle and property protection:
- Towing and labor
- Rental car reimbursement
- Personal and electronic item coverage
- Digital media device replacement
- Accident forgiveness
- New car replacement
- Auto glass repair
As added benefits, MAPFRE offers programs like Car EZ® to expedite the car repair process after an accident andePics® so you can upload photos of property damage and skip in-person appraisals.
MAPFRE Insurance Cost And Discounts
Estimating car insurance prices from any provider can be difficult, because your premium depends on a number of individual factors including your age, location, driving history, and vehicle make and model.
Our research shows that MAPFRE Insurance tends to be more expensive than other auto insurers. One BBB reviewer reported a rate increase from $1,300 to $2,700 per year after an accident in which the driver was not at fault. However, MAPFRE may offer affordable rates for some drivers. If you reach out for a quote, make sure to see if you qualify for any discounts.
Drivers may be able to save money on car insurance with the following discounts:
- Multi-car discount
- Upfront payment discount
- Smart driver discount for adults and teens
- Good student and student-away-from-home discounts
- Discount for bundling home and auto insurance, or personal umbrella coverage
- Annual usage discount
- Green discount for paperless billing
- AAA membership discount
- Welcome back discount
- Clean-in-Three discount for drivers that maintain clean driving records for three years
- Shop Smart loyalty discount
- TeenSMART educational program
MAPFRE also offers a disappearing deductible for safe drivers.
MAPFRE Insurance Reviews And Ratings
When you search for MAPFRE reviews, you’ll find mostly negative comments. Most popular car insurance companies have a number of negative reviews because the claims process can be stressful, but generally there are many positive reviews too.
Customers complain about MAPFRE’s customer service agents, a slow claims process, and unexpected premium increases. Some customers report rates increasing from year to year without any change in their driving records.
The few positive reviews praise customer service representatives in certain locations. The Webster, Massachusetts, office received the following review:
“As long as you do the right thing, send all necessary documentation and properly fill out all of the paperwork they request, you can expect to have your claim handled professionally, courteously and most importantly, fairly.”
- Leanne E. via Google reviews
Apps And Technology
MAPFRE Insurance has a streamlined website that allows you to submit claims quickly and easily, as well as two mobile apps: GO MAPFRE and DriveAdvisor®.
With GO MAPFRE, you can review your policy information, make payments, and submit claims. DriveAdvisor is a safe driving app that earns you five percent off for signing up and tracks your driving habits. Unfortunately, GO MAPFRE only has a 2.9-star rating on Google Play, and DriveAdvisor isn’t rated at all.
Our Take On MAPFRE Insurance: 3.5 Stars
Our research team gives MAPFRE Insurance 3.5 out of 5.0 stars. MAPFRE tends to have high rates and mostly poor customer reviews, but a long-standing history in the insurance industry and expansive auto insurance coverage may make it the right choice for some drivers.
|Long-standing history in the insurance industry||Only available in 19 states|
|A+ rating from the BBB and Excellent financial strength rating from AM Best||Expensive|
|Variety of coverage options||Many negative customer reviews|
|Discounts for many different types of drivers|
Top Recommendations For Auto Insurance
Anytime you shop for car insurance, it’s smart to get quotes from more than one company so you can compare coverage and rates. We recommend looking into two of the nation’s top providers, State Farm and Progressive. Both scored highly in our industry review.
State Farm: 4.5 Stars
With an A++ financial strength rating from AM Best, you can rest assured that State Farm isn’t going anywhere. The largest car insurance company in the nation was named Best for Students in our study and has received top marks from major authorities in the industry. With State Farm, you can expect availability in 50 states, great discounts for students and safe drivers, and coverage extras like roadside assistance. Learn more in our complete State Farm auto insurance review.
Progressive: 4.5 Stars
Progressive is another provider that topped the charts in our industry review. The company has been around since 1937, almost as long as MAPFRE insurance. Some of its top highlights include extensive coverage options, discounts and money-saving programs like accident forgiveness, and excellent technology. Read our full Progressive auto insurance review to learn by we named the provider the Best for High-Risk Drivers.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.