Farmers and State Farm both performed well in our review of the industry’s best car insurance, but in the end, you only need one provider for your car insurance policy. That’s why we’re comparing Farmers insurance vs. State Farm insurance side by side. In this article, we’ll take a look at coverage, discounts, and customer ratings to help you decide what’s best for your vehicle.
If you’re ready to start comparing free quotes from top-rated providers in your area, enter your zip code in the box above or call our dedicated quotes team at (844) 246-8209.
In this article:
- Farmers And State Farm Highlights
- Farmers Insurance Vs. State Farm: Coverage
- Farmers Insurance Vs. State Farm: Cost And Discounts
- Farmers Insurance Vs. State Farm: Ratings And Reviews
- Our Take On Farmers Insurance Vs. State Farm
- Recommendations For Auto Insurance
Farmers And State Farm Highlights
You’re probably familiar with Farmers insurance and State Farm insurance, because both are available in most states across the country. State Farm is the biggest car insurance company on the market, but Farmers can still compete with its comprehensive coverage offerings.
|Farmers Insurance||State Farm|
|Availability||43 states||48 states*|
|AM Best Financial Strength Rating||A-||A++|
|J.D. Power Claims Satisfaction||893/1,000||892/1,000|
|Mobile App Google Play Rating||4.6||4.6|
*Although State Farm advertises nationwide availability, the company is no longer taking on new customers in Massachusetts or Rhode Island. Find out more about Massachusetts car insurance and Rhode Island car insurance in our reviews.
Farmers Insurance Vs. State Farm: Coverage
When you compare coverage offerings between Farmers and State Farm, it’s clear that Farmers has many more types of coverage. However, State Farm has coverage that some drivers can’t go without, including rental car reimbursement and travel expense coverage. For these reasons, Farmers and State Farm rate similarly for coverage.
Here's an overview of Farmers insurance vs. State Farm insurance offerings:
|Bodily Injury Liability (BI)||✔||✔|
|Property Damage Liability (PD)||✔||✔|
|Personal Injury Protection (PIP)||✔||✔|
|Medical Payments (MedPay)||✔||✔|
|Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)||✔||✔|
|Rental Car Reimbursement||✔|
|Travel Expense Coverage||✔|
|Accident Forgiveness Insurance||✔|
|New Car Replacement||✔|
|Custom Equipment Protection||✔|
|Original Equipment Manufacturer Parts||✔|
|Loss of Use Coverage||✔|
|Glass and Windshield Coverage||✔|
Standout Coverage From Farmers
- Custom equipment protection: This type of coverage pays to repair or replace aftermarket equipment like a sound system or custom wheels.
- Guaranteed value: In the event that your car is deemed a total loss after a covered accident, Farmers will pay you the defined, agreed-upon value that you set when you buy your policy.
- Glass and windshield coverage: This coverage offers a $0 deductible for repairing or replacing any auto glass part.
Standout Coverage From State Farm
- Travel expense coverage: This coverage helps pay for meals, hotels, and transportation if you get into a covered accident more than 50 miles away from home and your car is disabled.
Farmers Insurance Vs. State Farm: Cost And Discounts
Our research found that the cost of a State Farm car insurance policy is generally lower than the cost of a Farmers insurance policy. But before we can decide which provider is more affordable, we have to take a look at each company’s available discounts. The price you pay for coverage will depend on factors like your age, driving history, and vehicle make and model, as well as the discounts you qualify for with an auto insurance provider.
The following discounts are offered by Farmers vs. State Farm:
|Student Away At School||✔|
|Pay in Full||✔|
Farmers Signal® Vs. State Farm Drive Safe & Save™
Farmers and State Farm both have usage-based driving programs that can help drivers save on car insurance. These programs are most beneficial to drivers that drive safely, including giving themselves enough time to come to a stop and avoiding hard braking and acceleration.
|Signal||Drive Safe & Save|
|Through the Farmers Insurance app or plug-in device||Through the State Farm mobile app, plug-in device, or OnStar|
|Complete 10 trips and get a 5% discount||Up to 30% off for safe driving|
|Up to 20% off when you renew your policy||4.0 stars on Google Play|
|4.3 stars on Google Play|
Standout Discounts From Farmers
- Affinity membership: Farmers partners with multiple professional, academic, and alumni associations to reward members from these groups with discounted car insurance rates.
- Alternative fuel: Hybrid vehicles, electric cars, and other alternatively fueled vehicles qualify for this kind of discount.
Standout Discounts From State Farm
- Steer Clear®: This safe driving program is available to customers younger than 25 who have had no accidents or moving violations in the past three years. Drivers can save up to 15 percent through this program.
- Student away at school: If a full-time student is insured on your policy, goes to school over 100 miles away, and only uses the car when at home, you could save money.
- Driver training: When drivers on your policy under 21 years old complete a pre-approved driving course, you get a discount.
- Vehicle safety discount: You can get lower rates if your car is equipped with vehicle safety features like passive restraints and anti-theft technology.
These marks tell us that State Farm’s shopping experience is a little smoother, although not by much. To go through the free quotes process yourself, enter your zip code below.
Farmers Insurance Vs. State Farm: Ratings And Reviews
Farmers and State Farm both have high ratings from the BBB and AM Best, which is a good sign. The BBB rates auto insurance companies on sound business practices and customer interactions, and AM Best measures a company’s ability to pay out customer claims.
|AM Best Financial Strength Rating||A-||A++|
Customer Reviews For Farmers And State Farm
Before signing up with a new provider, check out the reviews to see what customers have to say. Chances are you will find a mix of positive and negative reviews. Insurance companies tend to get negative reviews when customers are dealing with the stressful claims process, so you should remember that negative reviews may be in response to a very specific situation.
Between Farmers insurance vs. State Farm, drivers feel about the same. Here are a few reviews of each insurer:
Farmers Insurance Reviews
“Great service, best rates around … No one can beat [Farmers]. My agent goes above and beyond. I love that they call me every year to make sure that nothing has changed and check in, they also send birthday cards. So sweet, really a personal touch!”
- Kaleb H. via BBB
“How is Farmers still in business? Currently going through my second claim with them. First claim took three months to resolve. Yes, that's right, three months … I'm for sure going to shop around for different insurances after this claim is taken care of.”
- Tony K. via BBB
State Farm Insurance Reviews
“[State Farm] is the best insurance company I have ever dealt with. I am so happy with the services they provide. They are always happy to answer any questions I have, and they are always there to guide me in the right direction.”
- Toni S. left via BBB
”Recently gotten in a car wreck, and the wreck was not my fault. But [State Farm] did not investigate the case. Also they won’t even answer my calls regarding my claim. And when [I] leave voicemails ... I don't get a return call. All in all they are just [a] bad business that won't stand by [its] customers.”
- Harvey via BBB
Of course, service can vary by location. That’s why it can be a good idea to check out resources like the J.D. Power 2021 U.S. Auto Insurance StudySM to see what the service is like in your region. The study measured overall customer satisfaction with auto insurers. Because Farmers isn’t available in every state, it does not have ratings for some regions.
*All ratings are based on a 1,000-point scale.
Quotes And Claims
When you’re shopping for car insurance, you want it to be as easy as possible. To assess each company’s quotes process, we look to the J.D. Power 2021 U.S. Insurance Shopping StudySM, which measures the shopping experience by price, policy offerings, and distribution channels. Here’s what customers thought of Farmers and State Farm:
- Farmers: 868 out of 1,000 points
- State Farm: 872 out of 1,000 points
J.D. Power also put together the 2021 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction StudySM to measure customer satisfaction with the ease of the claims process.
- Farmers: 893 out of 1,000 points
- State Farm: 892 out of 1,000 points
Similar to the quotes process, these results tell us that customers are somewhat more satisfied with State Farm.
Our Take On Farmers Insurance Vs. State Farm
When you compare Farmers insurance vs. State Farm, you will see that both providers have their strengths. Farmers and State Farm both have great coverage and customer reviews, while State Farm excels in affordability, discounts, and the quotes and claims processes.
Overall, we think most drivers will find better coverage with State Farm. But if you’re a senior, you may find a good rate with Farmers.
|Cost and Discounts||State Farm|
|Quotes and Claims Processes||State Farm|
|Ratings and Customer Reviews||Tie|
When you’re ready to start comparing free, personalized car insurance quotes, follow the link below. We’ll help you get the quotes comparison process started.
Recommendations For Auto Insurance
When you’re shopping for a new car insurance provider or looking to switch companies, it’s a good idea to get quotes from multiple sources and compare to be sure you’re paying the right price for protection on the road. In addition to Farmers insurance and State Farm, we recommend considering coverage from USAA and Geico.
Geico: 4.6 Stars
Geico is one of the largest car insurance providers in the U.S., and our research named Geico the Best Overall. In addition to standard coverage, Geico offers valuable coverage like roadside assistance, rental car reimbursement, and mechanical breakdown insurance. There are a variety of discounts that can help you save money, including a military discount, a discount for good drivers, and a customer loyalty discount.
Learn more in our complete Geico auto insurance review.
USAA: 4.8 Stars
Exclusively available to military personnel and their families, USAA was the only provider to earn 4.8 out of 5.0 stars in our industry-wide review. USAA has great ratings from sources like AM Best and J.D. Power, and like Geico, it has valuable coverage like roadside assistance, gap insurance, and glass coverage. If you garage your car on a military base, you can get up to 20 percent off your car insurance policy.
Read our full USAA auto insurance review to find out more.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read our other insurance articles: