Zurich car insurance products are offered through Zurich Insurance Group, a Switzerland-based insurance and car warranty provider and, as of 2020, the 117th largest public company according to Forbes. While the insurer does sell auto warranties, the company’s primary business includes commercial and municipal insurance. But can you get personal auto insurance with Zurich?
The summary below explains how Zurich car insurance compares with some of the best car insurance companies. If you are shopping around for insurance options, be sure to use the quote tool to compare car insurance rates from top providers. Or, for an even easier process, call our team at (844) 246-8209 to get free, personalized quotes seven days a week.
In this article:
- Zurich Insurance Group At A Glance
- Zurich Car Insurance Coverage
- Our Recommendations For Car Insurance Providers
Zurich Insurance Group At A Glance
Zurich Insurance Group was originally founded in 1872 and is headquartered in Schaumburg, Illinois. The insurer offers car insurance as well as home insurance, life insurance, travel insurance, and more.
While the company has a long history, it is not necessarily a positive one. In 2006, Zurich was caught bid-rigging and price-fixing in the Texas commercial insurance market. It was eventually forced to pay out a $171 million settlement.
In 2019, the Zurich Portugal branch was fined for “cartel practices.” This included defrauding customers by setting up price-fixing agreements with other providers.
Though Zurich is a large global company and the practices of some branches do not reflect the operations of others, it is clear that the company does not always act with the best interests of its customers in mind. On Trustpilot, the company has many negative reviews from previous customers.
However, Zurich does boast an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and an A+ rating from AM Best, meaning it does have a strong industry backing.
Zurich Car Insurance Coverage
Zurich does not sell standard forms of car insurance. Rather it offers specialized car warranty products, which include:
- Dent coverage
- Vehicle service contracts (extended warranties)
- Tire and wheel protection
- Paintless dent repair
- Key protection
- Vehicle maintenance plans (cover costs of routine maintenance)
- Gap insurance
- 24/7 emergency roadside assistance
- Rental car coverage
- Trip interruption coverage
- UNIVERSAL SECURITY GUARD®
- Lease wear and tear (up to $5,000 in repairs for leased vehicles)
Zurich offers warranties that only cover vehicles less than 15 model years old and that have less than 150,000 miles. Read our review of Zurich warranty offerings for a detailed review of these offerings and how they can provide peace of mind on the road.
If you decide to purchase a Zurich warranty, you can do so through an authorized dealership.
Our Recommendations For Car Insurance Providers
Zurich car insurance is not available to individuals, and no Zurich product will meet state minimum insurance requirements. If you are looking for full, or even basic car insurance coverage, you’ll need another provider that offers liability insurance, collision insurance, and comprehensive coverage.
Get started by reading about some of our recommended providers and entering your zip code into the quote comparison tool below. Or call us at (844) 246-8209 for free quotes.
USAA: Best For Military
USAA started as a small mutual self-insurance collective in 1922 and has since grown into one of the largest corporations in the United States. Originally founded by military officers, USAA continues to offer insurance and banking products exclusively to service people. This is why USAA car insurance is only available to military members and their families.
A USAA car insurance policy is among the best options for those that are eligible. It is the only provider that we rate a full 4.8 stars out of 5.0.
USAA customers are overwhelmingly pleased with the service and claims processes. In the J.D. Power 2021 U.S. Auto Insurance StudySM Overall Customer Satisfaction Index (by U.S. region), USAA scored very high (“among the best”) in every region.
The J.D. Power results are generated by contacting over 40,000 customers. Customers are asked to rank their insurers by the following factors:
- Policy offerings
- Billing process
- Policy information
To learn more, read our full USAA insurance review.
Geico: Best Overall
With 4.6 out of 5.0 stars, Geico is our highest-rated provider that is available to everyone. Geico is the second-largest insurance company in the U.S. (behind the largest insurer State Farm). It has an A++ financial strength score from AM Best, meaning it has a superior ability to meet financial obligations. Geico’s BBB rating is A+.
Positive customer reviews often mention the insurer's wide range of discounts, including:
- Defensive driver discount
- Good student discount
- Discounts for airbags, anti-lock brakes, and anti-theft devices
- Military discount
- Good driver discount
- Federal employee discount
- Multiple vehicle discount
- Multiple policy discount
While prices vary by customer and region, U.S. News & World Report found that the average Geico annual premium for policyholders is $1,063.10 (about $89/month).
To learn more, read our full Geico review.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read more of our insurance reviews: