How do Progressive discounts stack up with other insurers?
In short, no, Progressive does not offer a military discount
While some car insurance providers offer discounts to military members and their families, there is no Progressive military discount. If you look around online, some websites claim that Progressive offers a military discount, but Progressive itself does not advertise such a discount. When we called the auto insurer to verify this, we were informed that none exists.
However, Progressive does offer other discounts that may lower your rates. Even without military discount, Progressive could prove to be your cheapest auto insurance option.
You won’t know which insurance provider is best for your needs until you compare quotes yourself. Read our review of the best car insurance companies in the nation, and call our team at (844) 246-8209 or use the insurance quote comparison tool below to start looking at rates.
In this article:
- Does Progressive Offer A Military Discount?
- Ways To Save On Car Insurance With Progressive
- Our First Choice For Military: USAA
- Great Military Discounts: Geico
- Frequently Asked Questions
Does Progressive Offer A Military Discount?
Progressive does not offer a military discount, though the insurance provider claims that 99% of policyholders qualify for at least one other discount. Good students, homeowners, defensive drivers, safe drivers, usage-based drivers, multi-policy holders, and others can save with one of Progressive's discounts.
Ways To Save On Car Insurance With Progressive
As we mentioned, there is no Progressive military discount. But there are a number of ways you can save on Progressive car insurance. Here’s a look at the company’s discounts and other money-saving features:
Name Your Price® Tool
The Name Your Price® tool lets you input the premium you want to pay, then builds a policy that matches your budget.
Save on auto insurance if you have multiple policies with Progressive or multiple vehicles on the same policy. You can also get a discount for having been continuously insured by the same provider for some time, even if it wasn’t Progressive.
There are discounts for teen drivers, good students, students away at school, and homeowners. Progressive also has the Snapshot® mobile app that tracks your driving and reduces rates if you drive safely.
Discounts For Quotes and Buying
Get an online quote, go paperless, sign online, pay in full, and set up automatic payments to save money.
With small and large accident forgiveness, Progressive is a great choice for high-risk drivers.
Deductible Savings Bank
The longer you drive without filing a claim, the lower your deductible will be. Progressive awards you $50 toward your next deductible for every six-month period without an accident or a ticket.
While there is no Progressive military discount, Progressive is a military-friendly employer. The company offers special benefits to employees currently or formerly with the military. These benefits include:
- Differential pay
- Continuing medical benefits for active duty reservists and family members
- Continuing vacation time accrual during leave of absence
- Dedicated leave and benefits
- Keys to Progress® program
You can’t get a Progressive military discount, but there are many car insurance companies that offer savings for military service. After you’ve checked out rates from Progressive, consider USAA and Geico in your search.
Our First Choice For Military: USAA
Military members and their families have exclusive access to USAA car insurance. USAA is the only provider we rated 5.0 stars out of 5.0. USAA also scored 5 out of 5 on the J.D. Power 2019 Auto Claims Satisfaction StudySM, meaning it provides an exceptional claims process and delivers on customer service.
Coverage And Claims
In addition to standard offerings such as liability and collision coverage, USAA offers the following services:
- Roadside assistance: Roadside assistance includes lockout service, towing, flat tire changes, gas delivery, and jump starts.
- Glass coverage: This covers windshield repairs. In Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Massachusetts, it is included in comprehensive plans. In other states, this is available as optional coverage.
- Rental reimbursement: USAA will pay for a car rental while your primary vehicle is under repair.
- Gap insurance: Gap covers the difference between your car’s actual cash value (ACV) and any amount you might still owe in car payments in the event of a total loss claim.
- Car replacement assistance (CRA): CRA works the same as gap insurance but will pay 20 percent more than your car’s ACV.
Claims filing with USAA is simple. After you report a claim through the USAA claims app, you will be contacted by an adjuster to guide you through the next steps. This usually involves taking pictures of the damage and answering questions.
While you can’t get a Progressive military discount, USAA certainly offers one. In addition to auto insurance discounts like accident forgiveness insurance and savings for good students, USAA has perks for active duty service members. If your vehicle is garaged on a military base, you can receive up to 15 percent off comprehensive coverage.
USAA also offers a 60-percent discount when you put your car in storage. This is a useful benefit if you deploy overseas and leave your car behind. If you need to bring your car with you, you can get overseas auto insurance coverage with USAA.
Because of these discount features, we think USAA offers some of the best auto insurance for veterans and military members.
For more information, check out our full USAA auto insurance review.
Great Military Discounts: Geico
Geico auto insurance is another strong choice for coverage. We rate at Geico 4.5 stars out of 5.0 because of its affordable rates, nationwide availability, and simple claims process. AM Best gives Geico an A++ rating, meaning it has a superior ability to meet its ongoing insurance obligations, and the Better Business Bureau gives the insurer an A-.
Coverage And Claims
Geico is a full service provider and offers every type of standard coverage. You can also purchase the following types of coverage through Geico:
- Roadside assistance: Geico’s roadside assistance package covers jump starts, spare tire replacement, lockout services up to $100, and towing.
- Rental reimbursement: This pays for a rental car while your primary vehicle is in the shop.
- Mechanical breakdown insurance (MBI): MBI covers repairs to any covered mechanical part of your car. This is useful for breakdowns that are not the result of normal wear and tear. Think of it as an extended car warranty.
You can use Geico’s mobile app, website, or call Geico directly to file a claim. A claims service representative will walk you through the process. Using Geico’s app, you can schedule a damage inspection, car rental, or repair.
With Geico, military members and veterans are eligible for a discount that helps service members save up to 15 percent on car insurance.
Geico also offers an emergency deployment discount for members who deploy to an imminent danger pay area, as determined by the Department of Defense.
Discounts are offered to all active and retired military personnel, as well as members of the following groups:
- Association of the United States Army
- Fleet Reserve Association
- Armed Forces Benefit Association
- Navy League of the United States
- Navy Federal Credit Union
- American Society of Military Comptrollers
For more information, check out our full Geico auto insurance review.
To start exploring the different options for car insurance, enter your zip code in our form below or, for an easier process, call (844) 246-8209.
Read other articles on car insurance:
- What Does Progressive Roadside Assistance Cover?
- Common AAA Auto Insurance Discounts
- Geico Vs Progressive: Which Provider Is The Best?
- Does Auto Insurance Cover Theft?
- Can A Lapse In Coverage Affect Insurance Rates?