Ocean Harbor Insurance is cheap for a reason.
When comparing car insurance options, it can be tempting to go with the cheapest insurer. But when it comes to Ocean Harbor Insurance, reviews are astoundingly negative. Ocean Harbor provides low-cost options for minimum insurance coverage, but its poor customer feedback may give potential policyholders cause for concern.
Negative reviews for car insurance companies are common. When insurance works smoothly, drivers don’t usually take the time to leave a comment. But the claims process can be stressful, and policyholders are more likely to leave complaints. In this article, we'll take a deeper look to see whether Ocean Harbor Insurance is worth it.
If you’re looking for the best insurance coverage, you can enter your zip code into our easy-to-use tool above or call our team at (844) 246-8209 to get free quotes from top providers.
In this article:
- Ocean Harbor Insurance Overview
- Ocean Harbor Coverage
- Ocean Harbor Auto Insurance Cost And Discounts
- Ocean Harbor Insurance Reviews
- Ocean Harbor Insurance Technology
- Our Take On Ocean Harbor Insurance: 2.0 Stars
- Our Recommendations For Car Insurance
Ocean Harbor Insurance Overview
Ocean Harbor Casualty Insurance is a home and car insurance company also known by its parent company, Pearl Holding Group. Ocean Harbor serves auto policies in several states, but it operates primarily in Florida and is headquartered in Orlando.
The car insurance company has an AM Best financial strength rating of B, meaning that it isn’t likely to go out of business anytime soon, but it also doesn't have the strongest finances in the industry. Some Ocean Harbor Insurance reviews claim that the company is a scam, but it is a legitimate insurer with a stable revenue stream.
Ocean Harbor Coverage
Auto insurance coverage offered by Ocean Harbor includes:
- Liability coverage: Liability auto insurance pays for damages to vehicles in the event that you are responsible for an accident. Most states require a minimum amount of liability coverage.
- Collision coverage: Collision insurance pays for damage to your vehicle in the event of a collision.
- Comprehensive coverage: Comprehensive car insurance pays for damage to your vehicle that is the result of non-collision events, such as severe weather or theft.
- Personal injury protection: Ocean Harbor personal injury protection covers 80 percent of your medical bills and 60 percent of loss of income that results from an accident. It will also pay out a death benefit if necessary.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage: Uninsured motorist coverage will help pay for damages to your vehicle if you get into an accident with someone who does not have insurance.
According to Ocean Harbor insurance reviews, coverage is very limited. Customers claim that Ocean Harbor does not usually cover the full cost of damages. The company may meet its legal obligations to customers but attempts to pay out as little as possible according to some reviews.
Ocean Harbor Auto Insurance Cost And Discounts
There is no fixed insurance price for everyone. The following factors are commonly used to assess insurance premiums:
- Vehicle make and model
- Marital status
- Credit score
- Driving record
Based on Ocean Harbor Insurance reviews, the company offers relatively cheap auto insurance. Ocean Harbor seems to specialize in providing customers with the minimum legal insurance coverage at the lowest possible insurance rates.
How much car insurance you need is also different for everyone. Each state sets its own minimums for coverage, but they are often low and may not provide enough protection in the event of a severe accident. While cost is certainly a factor, the whole point of auto insurance is to be protected.
Ocean Harbor Insurance Reviews
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) gives Ocean Harbor a D rating, which is considerably low. The company has closed almost 300 complaints in the past 3 years, over 50 of which were filed in the past 12 months. Parent company Pearl Holding Group Inc. also has a D rating with the BBB.
There are few positive Ocean Harbor Insurance reviews. We found one in which the customer seemed more satisfied with the mechanic that fixed his car than with Ocean Harbor itself. Other Ocean Harbor reviews commonly referred to the business as a “scam.”
Many Ocean Harbor reviews describe the claims process as long and challenging. Customers regularly encounter hour-long hold times and are ping-ponged between agents for weeks. Some customers even waited for months before their insurance claims were processed.
Here are a few reviews from the Pearl Holding Group BBB page, where two stars was the highest rating given by any reviewer.
“My son was involved in an accident on February 2, 2019. The car was picked up and stored by this company, and to this date [March 14, 2020], my son has no resolution and may not due to this company stating there was no police report made and the owner of policy didn't submit his written statement of [the] accident.”
“Hands-down the worst business I have ever dealt with. Took months to receive payment after being rear-ended. Even then, it was significantly lower than the third-party appraisal.”
Ocean Harbor Insurance Technology
Ocean Harbor Insurance does not have a mobile app with which customers can review policy details and manage insurance claims. Today, such convenience is a standard offering among most major insurers. While not necessary, a policy and claims mobile app is a nice convenience that modern customers have come to expect.
Our Take On Ocean Harbor Insurance: 2.0 Stars
We do not recommend Ocean Harbor car insurance. Ocean Harbor Insurance reviews indicate that the company is a cheap way to insure your vehicle in Florida, but the coverage is limited and reviews of the quotes and claims process are poor. There are certainly better options for cheap Florida car insurance.
Our Recommendations For Car Insurance
We’ve reviewed the best auto insurance companies in the industry and have a couple of recommendations for you to consider over Ocean Harbor. There is no one best choice for everyone, which is why it’s a good idea to compare car insurance quotes from multiple insurers.
To collect and compare free quotes from providers available in your state, call (844) 246-8209 or use the tool below.
USAA: 5.0 Stars
According to our research, USAA is the best low-cost insurance option in Florida. The only downside to USAA is that it is only available to military service members and their families. The J.D. Power 2019 Auto Claims Satisfaction StudySM also awarded USAA a top score of 5.0 out of 5.0, and the J.D. Power 2020 U.S. Insurance Shopping StudySM gave USAA 900 out of 1,000 points. Certainly, look into USAA car insurance if you are eligible.
Read our USAA auto insurance review to learn more.
Progressive: 4.5 Stars
If you aren’t able to buy an insurance policy through USAA, Progressive is a great alternative. Progressive is a full-service company with strong customer service and an easy claims filing services. Progressive also has a generous accident forgiveness program. Small accidents resulting in payouts of less than $500 will not increase your premiums. If you are a Progressive customer for five years and maintain clean records, you will also be forgiven for one accident over $500. Other Progressive discount options include the SnapshotⓇ safe driving app, policy bundling, and a deductible savings bank.
Find out more about coverage in our full Progressive auto insurance review.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read our other articles on car insurance:
- No Insurance On Financed Car
- Can You Have Two Car Insurance Policies?
- How Much Is Car Insurance For A 16-Year-Old?
- Can I Add My Girlfriend To My Car Insurance?
- Do You Need Insurance To Drive?
- Can You Cancel An Insurance Claim?
- What Age Does Car Insurance Go Down?