Can Safe Auto Insurance Company give you the right coverage at the right price?
If you’re shopping for car insurance, you may have come across Safe Auto Insurance Company. Our team dug into the details of this insurance company to bring you a full guide to Safe Auto Insurance reviews, coverage, discounts, and more. The provider didn’t make our list of the best car insurance companies, but it could still be worth considering if it’s offered in your area.
Start comparing quotes with available providers in your state by filling out the form above or by calling our team at (844) 246-8209 to get free, personalized quotes seven days a week.
In this article:
- Safe Auto Insurance Company Highlights
- What Are Your Safe Auto Coverage Options?
- How Do The Safe Auto Quotes And Claims Processes Work?
- Safe Auto Payment Plans
- Does Safe Auto Offer Discounts On Auto Insurance?
- Safe Auto Insurance Reviews
- Our Verdict On Safe Auto Insurance Company
- Top Recommendations For Car Insurance
- FAQ About Safe Auto Insurance Company
Safe Auto Insurance Company Highlights
Safe Auto is a property and casualty insurance company specializing in auto insurance for customers needing minimum coverage required by the state. The company was founded in 1993 and has its headquarters in Columbus, Ohio. In addition to auto insurance, Safe Auto offers the following types of coverage:
- Motorcycle insurance
- Homeowners insurance
- Renters insurance
- Business insurance
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Supplemental insurance
- Accident insurance
- Life insurance
Safe Auto auto insurance products are available in 17 states, including Arizona, California, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia.
What Are Your Safe Auto Coverage Options?
While Safe Auto insurance company specializes in state-minimum coverage, it has a wide range of auto insurance coverage options to suit the needs of different drivers. The following standard coverages are available:
- Liability Coverage
- Collision Coverage
- Comprehensive Coverage
- High-Risk Coverage And SR-22 Insurance
- Full Coverage
The following non-standard coverages are also available.
- Rental reimbursement: Covers the cost of a rental vehicle up to a certain limit while the insured vehicle is being repaired due to a covered accident
- Towing and labor coverage: Provides reimbursement for towing and labor charges at the site of the event up to a maximum limit
- Roadside assistance: Provides emergency roadside assistance for events like running out of gas, having a flat tire or a dead battery, or being locked out, and is available only in certain states
- Accidental death benefit: Provides payment to the insured person’s estate if they die in a covered accident
How Do The Safe Auto Quotes And Claims Processes Work?
To get a quote from Safe Auto insurance company, all you have to do is answer a few questions about yourself, your vehicle, and your driving record. You will then get a free, customized auto insurance quote.
If you are unable to make up your mind, you can save your quote and retrieve it later. You can also call 800-SAFEAUTO to talk to a customer representative for your Safe Auto quote.
For a simpler process, use our quote comparison tool or call us at (844) 246-8209 for free insurance quotes.
Filing A Claim With Safe Auto Insurance Company
Safe Auto claims can be reported by calling 800-723-3288. Having the following information handy when you call will help simplify the process:
- Date, time, and location of the accident
- Year, make, and model of the vehicles
- Name and contact information for everyone involved in the accident
- A brief summary of how the accident happened
Once you file your claim, a Safe Auto claims adjuster will investigate the claim by talking to all the parties involved, reviewing the police report, and more. After the nature and amount of loss are determined, payment will be issued as per the terms of the coverage. Since Safe Auto does not restrict its customers to specific repair shops, you can choose to have your car repaired at any facility of your choice.
If your vehicle is deemed a total loss, you will receive a payment equivalent to the fair market value of your vehicle less any applicable deductible, and the title will be transferred to Safe Auto.
Customers are advised to inform Safe Auto about an accident even if they have already filed a claim through the carrier of the responsible party, so the company has all the required information if any problem occurs in the future. Safe Auto also recommends notifying the authorities whenever there is an accident.
Safe Auto Payment Plans
In our research, we looked into Safe Auto’s payment options and plans. Safe Auto insurance policies are issued for six months, and customers can choose from three payment options for easy budgeting:
- Full payment
- Bi-monthly payments (33% down payment with two remaining payments due every other month)
- Monthly payments (an initial down payment with five monthly payments)
Safe Auto insurance company also offers several ways to pay your bills. You can make a quick, one-time online payment using your debit card, credit card, or checking account without signing in or set up automatic payments on your account. You can also send in your payments by mail or pay by phone.
Does Safe Auto Offer Discounts On Auto Insurance?
Like all other insurance providers, Safe Auto offers a few discounts to cut down on your premium costs. We have listed a few of them below for your reference. The availability of the discount, coverage, and rates will vary by state.
- Multi-vehicle discount: Available if you insure multiple vehicles with Safe Auto
- New business discount: Available if you switch to Safe Auto from another provider and can provide proof of insurance
- Homeowner discount: May be available if you own your home
- Driver improvement course discounts: Available in certain states if you voluntarily complete a driver improvement course
- Paid-in-full discount: Available in certain states if you pay your premium in full
- Good student discounts: Available in certain states for students with good grades
Discounts may also be available if you drive a safe, reliable vehicle, sign up for an extended policy, or have a good driving record.
Safe Auto Insurance Reviews
Safe Auto insurance company offers 24/7 customer service. You can call the company at 800-SAFEAUTO or email CustomerService@safeauto.com.
During our research, we spent a lot of time on the Safe Auto website, which is well laid out and describes each coverage in detail. Almost every page we visited had a separate Q&A section at the bottom where new and existing customers can have their insurance questions answered by a Safe Auto representative. The website also features a Reviews section with over 12,000 customer reviews at an average rating of 3.5 out of 5.0 stars.
Existing Safe Auto insurance customers can use the Safe Auto online portal to manage their policies, pay bills, view insurance information, or request proof of insurance. Customers who prefer the ease and convenience of mobile apps can download the Safe Auto Android or iOS app to manage their policies directly from their phones.
Safe Auto is accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has an A+ rating. However, its average rating on BBB from 30 customer reviews is quite low. Some reviews we read indicated dissatisfaction with the way Safe Auto claims were handled by the adjusters.
If you visit the BBB website, you will notice that a total of 188 customer complaints have been filed against Safe Auto in the last three years. While the complaints range from billing issues to claims settlement, it’s good to see that Safe Auto has always responded to each complaint and provided an explanation and/or resolution.
Positive Safe Auto Insurance Reviews
[The] best. I’ve had this car insurance for a number of years[. The] customer service is great they really work for you.
- Ernestine L. via BBB
Negative Safe Auto Insurance Reviews
The only reason I gave them 1 star is because it would not let me give them 0. This is the absolute WORST company I have ever dealt with! I was hit on 6/20/2020 by a driver that was insured by Safe Auto. As of today, I still do not have a check from them, nor has my car been repaired.
- Sandy C. via BBB
Our Verdict On Safe Auto Insurance Company
We rated Safe Auto Insurance 4.0 out of 5.0 stars. Overall, we believe that drivers who fall into the high-risk category and are denied coverage elsewhere will find the Safe Auto insurance company a decent option for their auto policies. Insurance costs can vary drastically, depending on your credit, driving record, and location, but in general, its prices are pretty competitive compared to other providers who offer high-risk insurance.
Specializes in insurance coverage for high-risk drivers
Cannot file a claim online
Your choice of repair shop
Service is limited to 17 states
Three payment plans to choose from
A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB)
A- financial strength rating with AM Best
Safe Auto also has an A- (Excellent) rating from AM Best, which indicates the company is financially solid and has the ability to meet its ongoing contractual obligations.
One downside is that you can file a claim only over the phone. Though customers can use their online account and mobile app to manage their policy, they can’t file a claim online. Also, Safe Auto’s service is currently limited to only 17 states.
Top Recommendations For Car Insurance
If Safe Auto isn’t available in your state or if you would like to explore more auto insurance companies, we have a few recommendations.
In our USAA auto insurance review, we found USAA to be the best option in terms of pricing, customer service, financial stability, and coverage for U.S. military members. In our Geico insurance review, we ranked the company as the best overall, and found Progressive to be great for discount bundles in our Progressive insurance review. Our research team named State Farm the most popular insurance company in our State Farm auto insurance review.
As always, we recommend that you shop around for your insurance, do your research, and obtain at least three quotes from different providers before you make your decision. It may save you hundreds of dollars a year. At the same time, don’t compare your quotes based on price alone. The cheapest policy may not have all the coverage you need and can leave you on the hook for thousands of dollars if you have an accident.
Enter your zip code below or call our team at (844) 246-8209 to start comparing auto insurance quotes.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read more in our other insurance reviews: