If you’re shopping for car insurance, you may have come across Safe Auto Insurance Company. Our team dug into the details of this insurance company to bring you a full guide to Safe Auto Insurance reviews, coverage, discounts, and more. The provider didn’t make our list of the best car insurance companies, but it could still be worth considering if it’s offered in your area.
Start comparing free, personalized quotes with available providers in your state by filling out the form above.
In this article:
- Safe Auto Insurance Company Highlights
- Safe Auto Insurance Coverage
- Safe Auto Cost And Discounts
- Safe Auto Insurance Reviews
- Safe Auto Mobile App
- Our Take On Safe Auto Insurance Company: 3.0 Stars
- Top Recommendations For Car Insurance
- FAQ About Safe Auto Insurance Company
Safe Auto Insurance Company Highlights
Safe Auto is a property and casualty insurance company specializing in auto insurance for customers needing minimum coverage required by the state. The company was founded in 1993 and has its headquarters in Columbus, Ohio. In addition to auto insurance, Safe Auto offers the following types of coverage:
- Motorcycle insurance
- Homeowners insurance
- Renters insurance
- Business insurance
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Supplemental insurance
- Accident insurance
- Life insurance
Safe Auto auto insurance products are available in 20 states, including Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia.
Safe Auto Insurance Coverage
While Safe Auto insurance company specializes in state-minimum coverage, it has a wide range of auto insurance coverage options to suit the needs of different drivers. The following standard coverages are available:
- Liability Coverage
- Collision Coverage
- Comprehensive Coverage
- High-Risk Coverage And SR-22 Insurance
- Full Coverage
The following non-standard coverages are also available.
- Rental reimbursement: Covers the cost of a rental vehicle up to a certain limit while the insured vehicle is being repaired due to a covered accident
- Towing and labor coverage: Provides reimbursement for towing and labor charges at the site of the event up to a maximum limit
- Roadside assistance: Provides emergency roadside assistance for events like running out of gas, having a flat tire or a dead battery, or being locked out, and is available only in certain states
- Accidental death benefit: Provides payment to the insured person’s estate if they die in a covered accident
Safe Auto Cost And Discounts
In our research, we looked into Safe Auto’s payment options and plans. Safe Auto insurance policies are issued for six months, and customers can choose from three payment options for easy budgeting:
- Full payment
- Bi-monthly payments (33% down payment with two remaining payments due every other month)
- Monthly payments (an initial down payment with five monthly payments)
The final cost of your Safe Auto insurance policy depends on a wide range of factors, including your age, marital status, driving history, and credit score. We analyzed data from Quadrant Information Services to find that the average annual premium rate ranged between $1,000 and $3,000 for a 35-year-old driver with a clean driving record and good credit.
Safe Auto insurance company also offers several ways to pay your bills. You can make a quick, one-time online payment using your debit card, credit card, or checking account without signing in or set up automatic payments on your account. You can also send in your payments by mail or pay by phone.
Like all other insurance providers, Safe Auto offers a few discounts to cut down on your premium costs. We have listed a few of them below for your reference. The availability of the discount, coverage, and rates will vary by state.
- Multi-vehicle discount: Available if you insure multiple vehicles with Safe Auto
- New business discount: Available if you switch to Safe Auto from another provider and can provide proof of insurance
- Homeowner discount: May be available if you own your home
- Driver improvement course discounts: Available in certain states if you voluntarily complete a driver improvement course
- Paid-in-full discount: Available in certain states if you pay your premium in full
- Good student discounts: Available in certain states for students with good grades
Discounts may also be available if you drive a safe, reliable vehicle, sign up for an extended policy, or have a good driving record.
Safe Auto Insurance Reviews
Safe Auto is accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has an A+ rating. However, its average rating on BBB from over 280 customer reviews is quite low. Some reviews we read indicated dissatisfaction with the way Safe Auto claims were handled by the adjusters.
If you visit the BBB website, you will notice that a little over 1,100 customer complaints have been filed against Safe Auto in the last three years. While the complaints range from billing issues to claims settlement, it’s good to see that Safe Auto has always responded to each complaint and provided an explanation and/or resolution.
Positive Safe Auto Insurance Reviews
[The] best. I’ve had this car insurance for a number of years[. The] customer service is great they really work for you.
- Ernestine L. via BBB
Negative Safe Auto Insurance Reviews
The only reason I gave them 1 star is because it would not let me give them 0. This is the absolute WORST company I have ever dealt with! I was hit on 6/20/2020 by a driver that was insured by Safe Auto. As of today, I still do not have a check from them, nor has my car been repaired.
- Sandy C. via BBB
Safe Auto Mobile App
Existing Safe Auto insurance customers can use the Safe Auto online portal to manage their policies, pay bills, view insurance information, or request proof of insurance. Customers who prefer the ease and convenience of mobile apps can download the Safe Auto Android or iOS app to manage their policies directly from their phones.
The Safe Auto App has a low 1.6 out of 5.0 star rating on the Apple App store. The app's rating on the Google Play store is a bit higher, at 2.8 out of 5.0. Many customers have complained about difficulty logging into the app and making payments through the app. However, there are also plenty of reviewers who praise the app and report no issues. Overall, the user experience can be hit-or-miss.
Our Take On Safe Auto Insurance Company: 3.0 Stars
We rated Safe Auto Insurance 3.0 out of 5.0 stars. Overall, we believe that drivers who fall into the high-risk category and are denied coverage elsewhere will find the Safe Auto insurance company a decent option for their auto policies. Insurance costs can vary drastically, depending on your credit, driving record, and location, but in general, its prices are pretty competitive compared to other providers who offer high-risk insurance.
Specializes in insurance coverage for high-risk drivers
Cannot file a claim online
Your choice of repair shop
Service is limited to 20 states
Three payment plans to choose from
A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB)
A- financial strength rating with AM Best
Safe Auto also has an A- (Excellent) rating from AM Best, which indicates the company is financially solid and has the ability to meet its ongoing contractual obligations.
One downside is that you can file a claim only over the phone. Though customers can use their online account and mobile app to manage their policy, they can’t file a claim online. Also, Safe Auto’s service is currently limited to only 20 states.
Top Recommendations For Car Insurance
If Safe Auto isn’t available in your state or if you would like to explore more auto insurance companies, we have a few recommendations.
In our USAA auto insurance review, we found USAA to be the best option in terms of pricing, customer service, financial stability, and coverage for U.S. military members. In our Geico insurance review, we ranked the company as the best overall, and found Progressive to be great for discount bundles in our Progressive insurance review. Our research team named State Farm the most popular insurance company in our State Farm auto insurance review.
As always, we recommend that you shop around for your insurance, do your research, and obtain at least three quotes from different providers before you make your decision. It may save you hundreds of dollars a year. At the same time, don’t compare your quotes based on price alone. The cheapest policy may not have all the coverage you need and can leave you on the hook for thousands of dollars if you have an accident.
Enter your zip code below to start comparing auto insurance quotes.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews auto insurance rate estimates generated by Quadrant Information Services for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read more in our other insurance reviews: