If you live in Texas, you may already be familiar with Amtex Auto Insurance. Free online quotes, local agents, and a decent offering of coverage and add-on policies make this insurance agency a viable option for many Texans, but is it the right choice for you?
Recently, we reviewed the best auto insurance companies on the market to help our readers make informed decisions about auto policies based on a provider’s financial strength, coverage, availability, costs, and more. Keep reading to find out how Texas car insurance from Amtex compares with buying coverage directly from an insurance company.
Use our quote comparison tool below to get started. Or, for an even easier process, call our team at (844) 246-8209 to get free, personalized quotes seven days a week.
In this article:
- Amtex Auto Insurance Overview
- Amtex Auto Insurance Coverage
- Amtex Insurance Cost And Discounts
- Amtex Auto Insurance Reviews
- Amtex Technology And Apps
- Our Take On Amtex Auto Insurance: 3.5 Stars
- Recommended Car Insurance Providers
Amtex Auto Insurance Overview
The Houston-based Amtex Auto Insurance agency sells auto insurance, commercial insurance, renters insurance, home insurance, motorcycle insurance, and Mexico insurance products across Texas. The bilingual firm has been in business since 2003 and represents more than a dozen insurance companies in the region, including American Access Casualty Company, Acacia Insurance Group, Bristol West Insurance Group, Progressive, and United Automobile Insurance Company.
Amtex Auto Insurance Coverage
If you plan to purchase a policy from Amtex Auto Insurance, you should familiarize yourself with the different types of car insurance coverages available to you. Knowing what’s included with each coverage type as well as its limits and exclusions will help you avoid surprises later.
Amtex Auto Insurance sells the following basic car insurance coverage to its customers:
- Liability auto insurance
- Collision coverage
- Comprehensive car insurance
- Uninsured motorist coverage
- Personal injury protection (PIP)
Optional Add-ons For Your Amtex Auto Insurance Policy
When you buy car insurance from Amtex Auto Insurance, the following add-ons are available for an additional fee:
- Roadside assistance: Provides protection (up to $100) on the road for certain services like towing, gas delivery, or a breakdown
- Rental car reimbursement: Covers the cost of renting a car (up to $25 per day for 30 days) while your vehicle is being repaired
- Mexico insurance: Provides protection when driving in Mexico up to defined limits for each risk mentioned in the policy
- Property damage protection: When you are at fault for an accident, covers damages to the injured party's property for which you are liable such as fences and buildings
Amtex Insurance Cost And Discounts
Just like with any other provider, Amtex car insurance rates are unique to each customer. That's because insurance companies base your individual rates on a combination of factors about you and your vehicle.
Here are some of the factors that can affect your Amtex auto insurance rates:
- Coverage options: You can get by with just the state minimum required coverage, but adding more coverage can protect you from a financial disaster. However, additional coverage will add significant costs to your premiums.
- Coverage amounts: Raising your coverage amounts can protect you financially but it will also cause your rates to go up.
- Driving history: Any recent at-fault accident or moving violation will increase your car insurance rates.
- Age: Younger drivers and senior drivers usually pay more for car insurance than middle-aged drivers. Teen drivers have to pay the highest rates.
- Location: Even within Texas, your rates can vary based on your ZIP code. Drivers in cities like Houston, Dallas, or Austin will likely pay more for car insurance than drivers in rural areas.
- Credit history: Drivers with poor credit scores will usually have to pay higher rates for car insurance than drivers with good credit.
Car Insurance Averages for Drivers from Different Profiles
The only way to find out how much an Amtex policy will cost you is to reach out to an Amtex agent and request a quote. But to help you get an estimate for your rates, here are some sample rates from top providers for drivers of different profiles in Texas.
|Car Insurance Company||Annual Rate Estimate|
|Texas Farm Bureau||$1,006|
|Car Insurance Company||Annual Rate Estimate|
|Texas Farm Bureau||$1,846|
|Car Insurance Company||Annual Rate Estimate|
|Texas Farm Bureau||$1,604|
Amtex auto insurance and other providers will use more than one variable to calculate your premiums. To ensure you get the best rates, make sure you compare car insurance quotes from multiple providers.
Amtex Auto Insurance Reviews
Our research into Amtex Auto Insurance customer satisfaction and reviews took us first to the Better Business Bureau (BBB). While Amtex is no longer accredited with the organization, it still holds an A- rating. It has only one customer review with a low rating of one star out of five.
Three complaints were filed with the BBB in the past three years over billing and refund issues, one of which has been closed in the last 12 months.
The Amtex Auto Insurance website has a claims page with direct links to online claim forms and websites of the different insurers it represents. Customers can get in touch with the Amtex claims department if they need additional help as well.
If you visit the Amtex website, you will notice dozens of reviews from customers that are mixed.
Amtex Technology And Apps
Because Amtex works with a number of auto insurance carriers, the technology available may depend on your specific policy. Progressive, for instance, offers multiple mobile apps and usage-based insurance options.
All Amtex partner insurers have an option to pay your policy premium online, which can be found on the Amtex website.
Our Take On Amtex Auto Insurance: 3.5 Stars
Amtex Auto Insurance is a regional insurance agency rather than an insurance company, so there are pros and cons to buying your auto insurance from this firm. Amtex represents multiple car insurance firms in the region, which could help you get the lowest rates for your coverage.
Since Amtex independent agents are usually local to the area, you may also get the advantage of working with someone who knows the area well. Additionally, the agency is not affiliated with any particular insurance company and would be able to offer you multiple policy or plan recommendations.
However, these services do not come free. The agency will charge a small fee on top of your insurance premium for the ease and convenience they provide. In addition, some of the customer reviews we read appear to suggest that the quality of customer service might vary with location.
Since Amtex represents a number of insurance companies, it is also essential to evaluate the specific underwriter for your policy and make sure it has the financial strength to fulfill its obligations.
Low rates for minimum coverage
Inconsistent customer service
Online quotes and payments
No mobile app
High BBB rating and accreditation
If you would like to explore more insurance provider options before making your decision, we recommend reading our recent review of the best car insurers in the market. When you buy your insurance directly from a highly rated national provider like Geico or State Farm, you can rest assured that you’re getting solid coverage at a good price.
Fill out the form below or call (844) 246-8209 to get started comparing quotes from multiple providers.
Recommended Car Insurance Providers
While we like Amtex Auto Insurance, it's a good idea to compare your coverage options by getting quotes from more than one insurance company. We recommend the following companies, which both earned ratings of 4.6 out of 5.0 stars.
Geico Insurance: Best Overall
Geico is a popular insurance company that we ranked as “Best Overall” in our Geico review. It’s known for wide coverage options, superior financial strength, hefty discounts, and good customer service. Geico is available nationwide, offers affordable rates, and has a simple claims process, so we find it to be a reliable option for most drivers.
State Farm Insurance: Best For Students
We named State Farm Best For Students, and the insurer wins our approval for financial strength, customer service, and affordable rates. In addition to the standard coverages and add-ons, our State Farm insurance review found that the company also offers extras like trip interruption coverage and rideshare coverage that could tip the balance for many customers.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read our other articles on car insurance: