We’ll see if the insurer lives up to its catchy slogan by reading Nationwide insurance reviews.
If you’ve ever caught a Nationwide car insurance ad, you probably walked away with the company’s signature jingle stuck in your head: Nationwide is on your side. Though Nationwide car insurance does not top the charts for cost or positive Nationwide insurance reviews, we are impressed by its comprehensive coverage and extensive discount availability.
We recently compared the best car insurance providers across the country, including Nationwide. If you’re on the fence about Nationwide auto insurance, read on to learn everything you need to know before signing a contract.
To go ahead and start comparing auto insurance quotes, call our team at (844) 246-8209 or use our easy tool above.
In this article:
- Nationwide Insurance Overview
- What Does Nationwide Car Insurance Cover?
- Cost And Discounts With Nationwide Car Insurance
- Nationwide Insurance Reviews
- Our Take On Nationwide: 4.0 Stars
- Top Recommendations For Auto Insurance
- FAQ: Nationwide Insurance Reviews
Nationwide Insurance Overview
Two things are certain about Nationwide: It’s been around a long time, and it’s kept up with the insurance industry. Founded in 1926 in Columbus, Ohio, the company was originally a small mutual insurance company supported by local farm bureaus. Today, Nationwide is one of the largest companies in the nation, and Nationwide auto insurance is available almost everywhere.
In our review process, we look to experts like J.D. Power, AM Best, and the Better Business Bureau (BBB). As a long-established car insurance company, Nationwide car insurance has high ratings in some areas but average ratings for customer experience.
AM Best, a credit rating agency for insurance companies, gave Nationwide Mutual Insurance an A+ (Superior) rating for financial strength. The BBB rates Nationwide at A+, too. Nationwide has nearly 250 customer complaints logged with the BBB in the last three years, but for a company of its size, that number isn’t unusual.
Other Insurance Products
Nationwide offers several different types of insurance, including:
|Classic car||Renters||Whole||Personal umbrella|
|RV, motorhome, travel trailer and camper|
Use the simple tool below to start comparing c
Drivers That Will Like Nationwide
Here are a few groups that may find the best coverage with Nationwide car insurance:
- Tech-savvy drivers: Nationwide has an extensive online portal for everything from quotes to paying your bills, filing a claim, and requesting roadside assistance.
- Drivers in the eastern and north central United States: J.D. Power gave Nationwide auto insurance higher rankings for customer satisfaction in these regions.
- Safe drivers: Nationwide has several discount programs for drivers that go years without accidents or violations, as well as those who take defensive driving courses. Nationwide’s SmartRide® program also gives drivers a discount after they allow the company to track their safe driving practices for a set period of time.
What Does Nationwide Car Insurance Cover?
With nearly a century of business under its belt, Nationwide has a comprehensive offering of both standard car insurance and optional coverages.
Remember that each state has individual laws dictating what type of car insurance drivers are required to purchase. Though we recommend buying more than the state minimum, it can be a good starting place if you're not sure what you need.
Here’s a breakdown of the standard types of insurance you can get with a Nationwide auto insurance policy:
- Bodily injury liability (BI)
- Property damage liability (PD)
- Collision coverage
- Comprehensive car insurance
- Medical payments (MedPay)
- Personal injury protection (PIP)
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist protection
In addition to full coverage options, you can get the following types of additional coverage with Nationwide car insurance.
- Roadside assistance: Nationwide offers two levels of this program with options for towing, jump starts, lockouts, and other scenarios.
- Rental car reimbursement: If your car is in the shop for an approved repair, this coverage contributes to the cost of a rental vehicle. Determine your Nationwide auto insurance limit and number of days when you set up your premium.
- Gap coverage: Gap insurance is a plus, as it pays for the difference between the value of your totaled car and the replacement.
- Accident forgiveness insurance: Worried your rate will go up after an accident? This type of insurance keeps this from happening after your first at-fault incident.
- Vanishing deductible: Nationwide’s vanishing deductible program cuts your deductible down by $100 per year for safe driving, up to $500.
- Total loss deductible waiver: If you have a total loss after an accident, you have the deductible waived with this add-on coverage.
Cost And Discounts With Nationwide Car Insurance
The Nationwide car insurance website is transparent about the factors taken into account when determining premiums and deductibles. In addition to the amount of coverage you choose, your auto insurance payments may be affected by:
- Your age, gender, and marital status
- Year, make, and model of car
- Driving record
- Your deductible
Most drivers qualify for at least one of Nationwide’s discount plans. Here are some of the ways policyholders can save money:
- Multi-policy: Bundle two types of Nationwide insurance
- Usage-based policy: Join the company’s usage-based program SmartRide®
- No accidents: Go accident-free for a set amount of time
- Good student: Maintain a B grade average if you’re between the ages of 16 and 24
- Safe driver: Prove safe driving habits
- Defensive driver: Complete a defensive driving course
- Vehicle features: Install anti-theft devices
- Pre-pay policy: Sign up for automatic debits
- Membership: Join a partner organization
We also like that Nationwide auto insurance comes with annual On Your Side® reviews. This service has an insurance agent check in with customers once a year to make sure they fully understand their policy and ask if they want to make any changes.
Use our tool below or call our team at (844) 246-8209 to start comparing auto insurance quotes:
Nationwide Insurance Reviews
First-hand reviews of insurance providers are a great way to look into the experience of working with the company after the quotes process. As we mentioned earlier, some of the top rating agencies are less-than-enthused about Nationwide car insurance, even if Nationwide doesn’t necessarily receive bad marks.
How do customers feel about their long-term relationship with Nationwide? We scoured both national and individual location reviews for some insight. Positive reviews highlight exemplary customer service representatives, while negative reviews discuss rate increases and issues with the claims process.
Positive Nationwide Insurance Reviews
“The customer service is very personal. I was able to get the plan and [coverage] I wished. Gerry was amazing and worked with me even when I wasn’t able to commit right away. Staff and company looked nice and performed professionally.”
-Vanessa B. via Google
“[My agent] even calls me to inform me that there are some items that [need] review. And the review usually saves me money. He is always prompt to return calls and answers all questions very clearly. I feel that I am in the best hands with Abe and Nationwide.”
-Craig I. via Google
Negative Nationwide Insurance Reviews
“My rates went up significantly after receiving my first bill. I was baited and switched. Be [wary] of this company, as they did not honor a refund of the amount and had promised my rate would not change. They made an error in the application, and I ended up paying for it.”
-Reviewer in Plano, T.X. via Google
“This company has to be the [worst] to deal with! I was not [asked] to be hit by their customer, and all I want is my car to be fixed. They have been no help in dealing with the body shop. They also are denying fixing my car the way it should be. I should not have to get a lawyer involved for a simple accident.”
-Rebecca V. via BBB
Our Take On Nationwide: 4.0 Stars
We rated Nationwide 4.0 out of 5.0 stars and named it the Best for Seniors in 2021. Its extensive auto insurance coverage, availability, positive Nationwide insurance reviews, and high ratings from industry experts make Nationwide a good option for many drivers.
Customer care can vary depending on your location, so read a few local reviews if you're considering a Nationwide policy in your area.
|Available in 47 states||Mixed customer reviews depending on location|
|A+ financial strength rating from AM Best and A+ rating from the BBB||Expensive|
|Many choices for coverage||Difficult quotes process|
|Usage-based insurance options|
Use the simple tool below to start comparing car insurance rates. When shopping for auto insurance, we recommend getting quotes from at least three providers. You can also call (844) 246-8209 to collect and compare quotes from providers in your state.
Top Recommendations For Auto Insurance
Are you on the fence about which auto insurance company to choose? When we researched the 12 best auto insurance companies for 2021, a few providers emerged ahead of the pack.
Two companies often compared to Nationwide car insurance are Geico and Progressive. After doing our homework, both came out slightly ahead of Nationwide with 4.5 stars each, and we recommend reaching out for quotes to see what your policy coverage and cost would look like.
Geico: 4.5 Stars
Comparing Geico and Nationwide is a bit tricky since Geico is much larger, holding an impressive 13.78 percent market share of the car insurance industry, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC). Here are some of the things we like about Geico:
- A++ financial strength rating from AM Best, the highest rating possible
- 78/100 Reader Score from Consumer Reports
- Some of the cheapest car insurance premiums in the country
- Numerous discounts including a new usage-based program
- Positive customer service reviews
- Coverage options including mechanical breakdown insurance, rideshare insurance, and roadside assistance
For more information, check out our full Geico review.
Progressive: 4.5 Stars
Progressive auto insurance also ranked highly in our review, earning 4.5 stars overall. It offers many similar programs to Nationwide auto insurance, including a device that tracks your driving habits and an online program that helps you find the best price for your lifestyle. Other notable perks include:
- A+ financial strength rating from AM Best
- Notably low number of BBB complaints
- Low rates for high-risk drivers
- Powerful website and mobile app capabilities
- Coverage options including custom parts and equipment value, loan/lease payoff, and rental car reimbursement
For more information, check out our full Progressive insurance review.
It’s easy to get free quotes from many different car insurance companies before making your final choice. Consider your choices before choosing the company that’s best for you.
Use our tool below or call (844) 246-8209 to start comparing personalized auto insurance quotes:
Read our other insurance articles:
- Good2Go Auto Insurance Review
- Meemic Auto Insurance Review
- Jupiter Car Insurance Review
- A-Max Auto Insurance Review
- Oklahoma Farm Bureau Auto Insurance Review
- Cure Auto Insurance Review
- Wade Auto Insurance Review
- Medicaid Car Insurance Review
- Advanced Auto Insurance Review
- Mercer Auto Insurance Review