Founded in 1926 in Columbus, Ohio, Nationwide started as a small mutual insurance company supported by local farm bureaus. Today, it is one of the biggest auto insurance companies in the United States. Here, we’ll take a close look at Nationwide insurance reviews, coverage options, and cost.
We recently compared the best car insurance providers across the country, including Nationwide. If you’re on the fence about Nationwide auto insurance, read on to learn everything you need to know before signing a contract.
In this article:
- Our Take On Nationwide: 4.0 Stars
- Nationwide Car Insurance Coverage
- Nationwide Cost And Discounts
- Nationwide Insurance Reviews
- Nationwide Technology/Apps
- Top Recommendations For Auto Insurance
- FAQ: Nationwide Insurance Reviews
Our Take On Nationwide: 4.0 Stars
Nationwide insurance has a high rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) but does not stand out when it comes to customer service. The company doesn’t rank well in the J.D. Power 2021 U.S. Auto Insurance StudySM. According to Nationwide insurance reviews, customer care can vary depending on your location. Be sure to read local reviews if you're considering a Nationwide auto policy.
If local Nationwide insurance reviews are good, a Nationwide auto insurance policy is worth consideration. We found that Nationwide's prices tend to be higher on average but can be relatively cheap for older drivers as the insurer offers discounts for AARP membership.
In addition to senior drivers, the following types of drivers may find the best coverage with Nationwide car insurance:
- Tech-savvy drivers: Nationwide has an extensive online portal for everything from getting quotes to paying your bills, filing a claim, and requesting roadside assistance.
- Drivers in the eastern and north central United States: Nationwide performs better in J.D. Power customer satisfaction polls in these regions.
- Safe drivers: Nationwide has several discount programs for drivers that go years without accidents or violations, as well as those who take defensive driving courses. Nationwide’s SmartRide® program also gives drivers a discount after they allow the company to track their safe driving practices for a set period of time.
Nationwide Insurance Rating
Overall, we rate Nationwide 4.0 out of 5.0 stars based on its extensive auto insurance coverage, high ratings from industry experts, and well-reviewed usage-based insurance program.
|Available in 47 states||Mixed customer reviews depending on location|
|A+ financial strength rating from AM Best and A+ rating from the BBB||Expensive|
|Many choices for coverage||Difficult quotes process|
|Usage-based insurance options|
When you're shopping for auto insurance, we recommend comparing quotes from at least three providers.
Nationwide offers the following types of car insurance coverage:
- Bodily injury liability (BI)
- Property damage liability (PD)
- Collision coverage
- Comprehensive car insurance
- Medical payments (MedPay)
- Personal injury protection (PIP)
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist protection
In addition to the full coverage options listed above, you can get the following types of coverage and policy add-ons with Nationwide:
- Roadside assistance: Nationwide offers two levels of this program, with options for towing, jump starts, lockouts, and other scenarios.
- Rental car reimbursement: If your car is in the shop for an approved repair, this coverage contributes to the cost of a rental vehicle. Determine the limit and number of days for this benefit when you set your premium up.
- Gap insurance coverage: This pays the difference between the value of your car and the amount you owe on your auto loan after a total loss claim.
- Accident forgiveness insurance: This policy add-on keeps your rate from going up after your first at-fault incident.
- Vanishing deductible: Nationwide’s vanishing deductible program cuts your deductible down by $100 per year for safe driving, up to $500.
- Total loss deductible waiver: Pay no deductible for total loss claims.
Nationwide Homeowners Insurance
According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), Nationwide is one of the top 10 most popular homeowners insurance companies in the country. The company offers a discount of up to 20 percent for bundling home and auto. You can find all the standard home insurance options to cover physical damage, personal belongings, loss of use, liability, and more.
Nationwide Life Insurance
Nationwide can cover all the life insurance bases with whole, term, universal, or variable life insurance. Each of these can apply to different life situations, like leaving an inheritance for heirs or providing security while raising children.
Nationwide Cost And Discounts
As with every car insurance company, Nationwide rates depend on the driver. In addition to the amount of coverage you choose, your auto insurance payments may be affected by:
- Your age, gender, and marital status
- The year, make, and model of your car
- Driving record
- Your deductible
The table below shows Nationwide quote estimates across the country. While Nationwide is most often not the cheapest provider in every state, rates are competitive and often below state averages.
The estimates below are for a 35-year-old driver with a clean driving record and good credit. Keep in mind these are estimates for a particular driver profile meant to give a general idea of Nationwide costs. Your rates will vary. If you are younger than 35, have poor credit, or have points on your license, your rates will likely be higher.
|State||Nationwide Annual Cost Estimate||Average Annual Cost Estimate|
|District of Columbia||$2,537||$1,786|
Nationwide Auto Insurance Discounts
Most drivers qualify for at least one of Nationwide’s discount plans. Here are some of the ways policyholders can save money:
- Multi-policy: Bundle two types of Nationwide insurance with your auto policy, such as identity theft insurance, flood insurance, or Nationwide home insurance.
- Usage-based policy: Join SmartRide®, the company’s usage-based program.
- No accidents: Go accident-free for a set amount of time.
- Good student: A good student discount is offered to those between the ages of 16 and 24 who maintain a B grade average.
- Safe driver: Prove safe driving habits by going at least five years without an at-fault accident or major traffic violation.
- Low Mileage: Pay a flexible monthly rate based on miles driven if you sign up for the SmartMiles® program.
- Defensive driver: Complete a defensive driving course.
- Vehicle features: Install anti-theft devices.
- Pre-pay policy: Sign up for automatic payments.
- Membership: Join a partner organization, such as the AARP.
Nationwide auto insurance also comes with annual On Your Side® reviews. This service has an insurance agent check in with you once a year to make sure you fully understand your policy and ask if you want to make any changes.
Nationwide Insurance Reviews
Reading first-hand reviews of insurance providers is a great way to look into the experience of working with the company after the quotes process.
How do Nationwide customers feel about their long-term relationship with Nationwide? We scoured both national and individual location reviews for some insight. Positive reviews highlight exemplary customer service representatives, while negative reviews discuss rate increases and issues with the claims process.
Positive Nationwide Insurance Reviews
“The customer service is very personal. I was able to get the plan and [coverage] I wished. Gerry was amazing and worked with me even when I wasn’t able to commit right away. Staff and company looked nice and performed professionally.”
– Vanessa B. via Google
“[My agent] even calls me to inform me that there are some items that [need] review. And the review usually saves me money. He is always prompt to return calls and answers all questions very clearly. I feel that I am in the best hands with Abe and Nationwide.”
– Craig I. via Google
Negative Nationwide Insurance Reviews
“My rates went up significantly after receiving my first bill. I was baited and switched. Be [wary] of this company, as they did not honor a refund of the amount and had promised my rate would not change. They made an error in the application, and I ended up paying for it.”
– Reviewer in Plano, T.X. via Google
“This company has to be the [worst] to deal with! I was not [asked] to be hit by their customer, and all I want is my car to be fixed. They have been no help in dealing with the body shop. They also are denying fixing my car the way it should be. I should not have to get a lawyer involved for a simple accident.”
– Rebecca V. via BBB
Nationwide Claims Customer Service
Nationwide claims satisfaction is mixed, and reviewers on the BBB website report both positive and negative experiences. Negative claims service reviews mention unresponsive or rude adjusters. Some customers also say different agents give out different information. On the other hand, some reviewers do experience good customer service and friendly agents.
Nationwide Insurance Claims Complaints
Nationwide has received just over 210 complaints in the past three years on the BBB website. Looking over the most recent 100 complaints, the majority have to do with the claims process. According to drivers, the process to get a damage appraisal can be slow. Some people also experience a lack of communication with agents.
How To Cancel A Nationwide Insurance Policy
To cancel a Nationwide insurance policy, contact your agent. If you don't have an agent, call the company at 877-669-6877. You can cancel your policy effective immediately or schedule a cancellation. Make sure you have other insurance in place if you still own a car.
Like most modern insurers, Nationwide offers its customers a smartphone app (Nationwide Mobile) that can be used to view policy details, manage payments, and file insurance claims. The app has a high 4.4 out of 5.0 rating in both the Apple App store and the Google Play store.
In addition to Nationwide Mobile, Nationwide has Nationwide SmartRide®, an app that tracks driving habits and offers discounts. SmartRide has a 4.1 out of 5.0 rating in the Apple App store and a 3.8 out of 5.0 rating in the Google Play store. This program is available in all states except for Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, and Louisiana.
Several user reviews that we examined complain about the SmartRide app. Drivers are frustrated that the app penalizes them for idling. Most top insurers offer usage-based discount programs that are managed through smartphone apps, though few seem to have worked out all of the kinks. Nationwide’s app is middle-of-the-pack based on customer reviews. SmartRide is rated higher than Geico’s DriveEasy app but lower than State Farm’s Drive Safe & SaveTM app.
Top Recommendations For Auto Insurance
Are you on the fence about which auto insurance company to choose? When we researched the 12 best auto insurance companies for 2021, a few providers emerged ahead of the pack.
Two companies often compared to Nationwide car insurance are Geico and Progressive. After we did our homework, both came out slightly ahead of Nationwide with 4.5 out of 5.0 stars each, and we recommend reaching out for quotes to see what your policy coverage and cost would look like.
Geico: 4.5 Stars
Comparing Geico and Nationwide is a bit tricky since Geico is much larger, holding an impressive 13.78 percent market share of the car insurance industry, according to the NAIC. Here are some of the things we like about Geico:
- A++ financial strength rating from AM Best, the highest rating possible
- 78/100 Reader Score from Consumer Reports
- Some of the cheapest car insurance premiums in the country
- Numerous discounts including a usage-based program
- Positive customer service reviews
- Coverage options including mechanical breakdown insurance, rideshare insurance, and roadside assistance
For more information, check out our full Geico review.
Progressive: 4.5 Stars
Progressive auto insurance also ranked highly in our review, earning 4.5 stars overall. It offers many similar programs to Nationwide auto insurance, including a device that tracks your driving habits and an online program that helps you find the best price for your lifestyle. Other notable perks include:
- A+ financial strength rating from AM Best
- Low rates for high-risk drivers
- Powerful website and mobile app capabilities
- Coverage options including custom parts and equipment value, loan/lease payoff, and rental car reimbursement
For more information, check out our full Progressive insurance review.
It’s easy to get free quotes from many car insurance companies before making your final choice. Consider your options before choosing the company that’s best for you.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews auto insurance rate estimates generated by Quadrant Information Services for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read our other insurance articles:
- Good2Go Auto Insurance Review
- Meemic Auto Insurance Review
- Jupiter Car Insurance Review
- A-Max Auto Insurance Review
- Oklahoma Farm Bureau Auto Insurance Review
- Cure Auto Insurance Review
- Wade Auto Insurance Review
- Medicaid Car Insurance Review
- Advanced Auto Insurance Review
- Mercer Auto Insurance Review