We will answer all of your questions about car insurance quotes in Texas.
Every state has different requirements when it comes to car insurance, including Texas. While searching for the best car insurance for you can be difficult when it comes to understanding and comparing Texas car insurance quotes from different providers, we strive to make it as easy as possible by having it all in one place.
To help you find the best insurance, our review team takes a look at the state minimum car insurance requirements, the cost of Texas insurance, gives you tips on how to find the cheapest car insurance, and more to answer your questions about the best Lone Star State car insurance.
We encourage you to get quotes from several different providers and compare them to be sure you’re getting coverage for the best possible price. To give you an overview of car insurance providers, our review team evaluated 30 of the best auto insurance providers based on financial strength, availability, customer service, cost and discounts, coverage, and technology. Read our review of the best car insurance companies to learn more about our top picks.
If you’re ready to reach out for a Texas car insurance quote now, enter your zip code in the form below or call our team at (855) 518-0148 to get free, personalized quotes seven days a week.
In this article:
- Texas Car Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Factors That Affect Car Insurance Quotes In Texas
- How Much Is Texas Car Insurance Per Month?
- How To Find Cheap Texas Car Insurance Coverage
- What If I Can’t Afford The Minimum Car Insurance In Texas?
- Recommendations For Texas Auto Insurance Quotes
Texas Car Insurance Minimum Requirements
Every state has different regulations around the minimum amount of basic car insurance that motorists are required to carry. Texas car insurance requires liability limits of 30/60/25, which means drivers must have a minimum of:
- $30,000 in bodily injury liability per person
- $60,000 in bodily injury liability per accident
- $25,000 in property damage liability
Drivers in Texas can also elect to carry other standard types of car insurance, such as:
- Comprehensive car insurance
- Collision insurance
- Medical payments (MedPay)
- Personal injury protection (PIP)
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM)
Texas is not a no-fault state. Specifically, Texas is a “comparative fault” state. This means that each driver in Texas has to take financial responsibility for any auto accident that they are more than 50 percent responsible for.
Factors That Affect Car Insurance Quotes In Texas
Choosing the right provider isn’t the only thing that will affect car insurance quotes in Texas. Auto insurance rates are based on a number of factors, including:
- Your age, gender, and marital status
- The make, model, and year of your car
- Where you keep your car
- How many miles you drive annually
- Your driving history
- And more
How Much Is Texas Car Insurance In Per Month?
Car insurance in Texas is a bit more expensive than the national average. According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), drivers in Texas spent an average of $1,096.82 on car insurance in 2017, whereas the national average was $1,004.68. That breaks down to about $91 per month. It’s important to note that some drivers purchased full coverage and others only purchased the minimum.
Here’s a breakdown of the coverage costs that year based on data from the Insurance Information Institute:
|Type of Coverage||Average Annual Expenditure in 2017|
*To calculate average expenditures, NAIC assumed that all insured vehicles would carry liability coverage but not necessarily collision or comprehensive. Total cost per year measures what consumers actually spent.
When you reach out for car insurance quotes in Texas, your own rates could be higher or lower than the state average based on the factors discussed above.
Enter your zip code in the tool below to compare car insurance quotes from different providers to help you find the best Texas car insurance:
How To Find Cheap Texas Car Insurance Coverage
You may not be able to control things like your age and your driving history, but there are some things you can control. Keep these tips in mind when searching for cheap car insurance quotes in Texas.
- Ask if you qualify for any discounts. Many auto insurance companies will offer good driver discounts, good student discounts, multiple vehicle discounts, and more that could help you save money on auto insurance.
- Bundle your policies. If you get home and auto insurance from the same insurance company, you could qualify for a bundling discount.
- Take a defensive driving course. Completing the course could qualify you for savings on your insurance.
- Take steps to improve your credit score. Car insurance companies use your credit report to determine an “insurance score.” This is because people with poor credit history tend to file more claims than people with higher credit scores, so in return, people with bad credit have higher premiums.
What If I Can’t Afford The Minimum Car Insurance In Texas?
Drivers who are pulled over in Texas without proof of insurance could face serious penalties.
|First Offense||Second and Subsequent Offenses|
Fines from $175–$350
Fine from $500–$1,000, plus a $250 licensing fee every year
Immediate impoundment of your vehicle
If you get into a car accident in Texas and you don’t have car insurance, you are liable to pay for injuries and damages out of pocket.
Recommendations For Texas Auto Insurance Quotes
When you’re looking for affordable auto insurance, you should get a few quotes from different car insurance companies to make sure you’re getting the best price. In Texas, we recommend starting with a top provider like Geico or USAA.
USAA Auto Insurance: 5 Stars
USAA provides insurance for military personnel and their families in all 50 states. We reviewed USAA insurance and found that the company has high ratings from industry experts like AM Best and J.D. Power. AM Best ranked USAA’s financial strength at A++ (Superior), and USAA topped the charts of several J.D. Power studies in 2019.
Along with standard car insurance coverage, you can get the following coverages with USAA:
- Roadside assistance
- Rental reimbursement
- Accident forgiveness
- Glass coverage
- Gap insurance
- Car replacement assistance
Geico Auto Insurance: 4.5 Stars
We named Geico the best choice overall for consumers across the nation, and we think the company is a great choice when you’re looking for car insurance quotes in Texas too. Geico has earned an A++ (Superior) financial strength rating from AM Best and an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
With Geico, you can get standard coverage and things like roadside assistance, rental car reimbursement, and mechanical breakdown insurance – which is a lot like an extended auto warranty. To learn more, read our full Geico review.
Learn more about your options for auto insurance in Texas by entering your zip code in the tool below or call our team at (855) 518-0148. As always, remember to compare car insurance cost and coverage to find the best deal for you.
Read our other insurance articles: