Rodney D Young offers quote comparison tools that can help you find the cheapest national insurer for your car. But how do you determine the quality of the providers? We'll take a closer look at Rodney D Young insurance reviews, coverage, and other factors to see how the company measures up against some of the country's best car insurance companies.
You can use this review to help you make an informed decision about your next car insurance provider. As always, be sure to get a quote from multiple providers and compare your options before making a purchase.
In this article:
- Rodney D Young Insurance Overview
- Rodney D Young Car Insurance Coverage
- Rodney D Young Cost
- Rodney D Young Discounts
- Rodney D Young Insurance Reviews
- Our Take On Rodney D Young: 2.0 Stars
- Our Recommendations For Car Insurance
Rodney D Young Insurance Overview
The Rodney D Young Insurance Agency is an insurance broker based in Fort Worth, Texas. The company covers drivers in Texas, Arizona, Colorado, Missouri, Nevada, North Carolina, and New Mexico. The company's current headquarters are located in Fort Worth, Texas.
If you buy an insurance plan through Rodney D Young, another company will actually provide the policy and service your claims. Rodney D Young is also part of the Fred Loya Insurance Group, along with a few other companies based in the Southwest.
In 2012, Loya Insurance bought Young America, Rodney D Young, and some other related companies. That year, AM Best downgraded the financial rating of Loya from B++ (Good) to B (Fair). After that, Loya Insurance withdrew from AM Best’s rating system.
Insurance plans that Rodney D Young visitors select may be underwritten by other Loya group companies, or they may be underwritten by unrelated companies. The Rodney D Young website does not appear to have been updated for some time, though the quote comparison tool is hosted on a separate website and shows quotes for top providers like Progressive and State Farm.
Young America Insurance Company was also founded by Rodney D Young. It is an insurance provider, not a broker, and it specializes in coverage for high-risk drivers.
Since Rodney D Young is an insurance brokerage, customers don’t deal with the company after purchasing a policy. In this article, we’ll include some customer reviews for Young America Insurance Company since it is closely related.
Rodney D Young Car Insurance Coverage
With Rodney D Young, you can get the standard types of car insurance listed below:
- Bodily injury liability (BI): Pays for other drivers’ health costs in accidents you cause
- Property damage liability (PD): Pays for other drivers’ car repairs in accidents you cause
- Collision: Pays for repairs to your car after an accident
- Comprehensive: Pays for repairs after environmental events, theft, and vandalism
- Medical payments (MedPay): Covers your medical bills after an accident
- Personal injury protection (PIP): Covers medical bills, lost wages, and death benefits
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM): Covers your medical bills and repairs if caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver
As far as extra coverage options go, that depends on your specific insurer. Since Rodney D Young offers cheap coverage through related providers, you might not get to choose things like rental car coverage or roadside assistance.
Rodney D Young Cost
Rodney D Young claims to offer affordable insurance rates. However, it probably accomplishes this by only offering the most basic types of auto insurance policies. The company doesn’t publish average prices online. So to help you get a better idea of how much your premiums will be, here are the average rates for the states in which Rodney D Young insurance is available:
|State||State Average Cost Estimate|
These are just averages and your own rates will be different. That's because auto insurance payments are tailored to your individual situation and can be affected by:
- Your age
- Your driving history
- Annual mileage
- The type of car you drive
- Your zip code
- Other drivers on your policy
- Your credit score
Here are some national averages from some top providers for a few different driver profiles:
|Car Insurance Company||Annual Rate Estimate|
|Car Insurance Company||Annual Rate Estimate|
|Car Insurance Company||Annual Rate Estimate|
Rodney D Young Discounts
Rodney D Young’s website says its agents can help you find discounts that you didn’t even know you qualify for. Discounts can include:
- Discount for safety features
- Senior discount
- Military discount
- Low-mileage discount
Keep in mind, Rodney D Young is only a comparison shopping service – it doesn’t issue any coverage plans itself. The comparison tool can match you with other companies like Allstate or Progressive, or it could bring up quotes from other Loya Insurance Group companies. The actual discounts you qualify for will depend on the provider that you choose.
Rodney D Young Insurance Reviews
Rodney D Young has a D+ with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has fielded 12 complaints through the BBB website in the past 3 years. There are no customer ratings on the BBB website. This is a relatively small amount of customer input, but the low BBB rating is cause for concern.
Positive Rodney D Young Insurance Reviews
If you'd prefer really great rates and service over those cutesy things, then I would absolutely recommend this company hands down. I've been with them nearly 10 years now, and have never been happier.
- Jana H. via Yelp
I think they are affordable and take good care of you if there is any accident.- Karen A. via BBB
Negative Rodney D Young Insurance Reviews
“[The insured] backed into me as I was attempting to leave the parking lot… [Young] Insurance is denying the claim [and] trying to say I am at fault, citing ‘Failure to control speed, [and] improper lookout.’ I was at a complete stop at the time of the accident… There is no way this accident could have [been] my fault…”
“They informed me to turn [in] the rental in 30 days… which meant I would be without transportation for over 3 weeks before [the repair shop] even [started] on the work… [The agent] told me that he'd reimburse me what I spent. [In the end], he only authorized $500 from the $1,069 out of pocket. I am still waiting for more damages due.”
Our Take On Rodney D Young: 2.0 Stars
If you’re just using Rodney D Young as a quote comparison tool, that’s perfectly fine. There’s no catch to clicking a quote link and buying a policy from another company. However, we’d recommend that you try to find quotes from companies outside of the Loya Insurance Group, just because the group doesn’t have great reviews or financial strength.
Cheap coverage for high-risk drivers
Poor customer service record
Quote comparison tool
Dated website that looks like a scam
Downgraded AM Best financial strength rating from “Good” to “Fair” in 2012
Our Recommendations For Car Insurance
Unlike a comparison algorithm, our team is made of real drivers, and we’ve reviewed dozens of the best car insurance companies on the market. We recommend getting quotes from numerous providers before making the best decision for your needs. Most companies will offer you a free quote on their website or over the phone.
In our reviews, we look for companies that perform well across categories like price, coverage, availability, customer service, and financial strength. Only a few providers ranked best overall.
USAA: 5 Stars
Because of its customer service reputation and low prices, we think USAA car insurance is the best option for auto insurance – if you qualify, that is. The company is available to military members and their spouses and children.
USAA consistently performs well across industry surveys. For example, the company scored the most points in every region J.D. Power’s 2020 U.S. Auto Insurance Satisfaction StudySM. It also came in first place on J.D. Power’s 2021 U.S. Insurance Shopping StudySM. These results tell us that many people have had positive experiences both buying insurance and using insurance from USAA.
A few more highlights about the company include:
- A++ financial strength rating from AM Best
- Extra coverage options like roadside assistance, rideshare coverage, rental coverage, and accident forgiveness
- 12 discounts including up to a 60-percent discount for military deployment
- Helpful tools for service members preparing for deployment
USAA tends to be the cheapest option for many drivers. Even though it doesn’t have a veteran discount for ex-military members, prices are so low that they beat military discounts from other companies.
To learn more, read our full USAA insurance review.
Progressive: 4.5 Stars
You can find affordable auto insurance even if you aren’t affiliated with the military. To that end, we’d recommend checking out Progressive car insurance for its combination of technology and discounts.
Progressive was founded in 1937. Since then, it has grown to become the third-largest auto insurance provider in the United States. With its resources, it has developed a number of apps and tools that can help drivers save money. These include:
- Name Your Price® tool
- Quote comparison tool
- Snapshot app for safe driving discounts
- Progressive mobile app for managing your policy
In total, Progressive has 13 discounts based on your driving history, your car, and your loyalty. If you remain claim-free, you can also use the deductible savings bank to shrink your car insurance deductible. Finally, Progressive offers small and large accident forgiveness based on how long you’ve been with the company.
To get more information, read our full Progressive insurance review.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read our other insurance articles:
- Safeco Car Insurance Review
- Horace Mann Auto Insurance Review
- Just Auto Insurance Review
- Progressive vs State Farm
- Plymouth Rock Car Insurance Review
- How Does Car Insurance Work?
- Broad Form Insurance
- Can I Get One-Day Car Insurance?
- Parked Car Insurance
- Shelter Mutual Insurance Review
- Country Financial Auto Insurance Review