Which car insurance company has the best quotes in TN?
From Memphis cuisine to Nashville music, Tennessee has a lot to explore, and you want to make sure you have the best car insurance when you hit the road.
To help you understand what goes into determining Tennessee car insurance quotes, our review team takes a look at the cost of Tennessee auto insurance, what the state minimum car insurance requirements are and what they mean, and more to answer your questions about car insurance in the Volunteer State.
As always, we encourage you to get auto insurance quotes from several different providers and compare them to be sure you’re getting coverage for the best possible price. To help you make the best decision, our review team evaluated 30 of the best auto insurance providers based on financial strength, availability, customer service, cost and discounts, coverage, and technology. Read our review of the best car insurance companies to learn more about our top 12 picks, including providers such as USAA, Geico, Progressive, and Liberty Mutual.
To start, enter your zip code to get matched with the best auto insurance quotes in your area by filling out the form below or call (844) 246-8209 to speak with one of our helpful representatives:
In this article:
- What Is The Average Cost Of Tennessee Car Insurance?
- Factors That Affect Car Insurance Quotes: Tennessee
- How To Get The Cheap Car Insurance In Tennessee
- Tennessee Auto Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Our Recommendations For Car Insurance Quotes: Tennessee
What Is The Average Cost Of Tennessee Car Insurance?
The average annual expenditure for Tennessee auto insurance was $820.63 in 2017, according to the Insurance Information Institute. This was lower than the national average of $1,004.58.
Here’s a breakdown of the coverage costs for car insurance in Massachusetts that year according to the Insurance Information Institute:
|Type Of Coverage||Average Annual Expenditure in 2017|
*To calculate average expenditures, NAIC assumed that all insured vehicles would carry liability coverage but not necessarily collision or comprehensive. Total cost per year measures what consumers actually spent.
Factors That Affect Car Insurance Quotes: Tennessee
The average car insurance rate in Tennessee depends on a great deal of personal and vehicle information. These may include:
- Your age
- Marital status
- Vehicle year, make, and model
- Your credit score
- Location where you garage your car
- Driving record
- And more
How To Get The Cheap Car Insurance In Tennessee
While the price of general insurance coverage varies for drivers in Tennessee depending on the insurance provider you choose, the level of coverage, and many of the factors listed above, you can generally still find cheap car insurance.
- Ask about discounts: Discount opportunities differ from provider to provider. Some common discount opportunities include good driver discounts, good student discounts, bundling discounts, and multiple vehicle discounts.
- Increase your deductible: A higher deductible usually means a lower premium. This is an easy way to save money on your liability coverage, but keep in mind that you will need to pay that deductible if you are ever involved in an accident that you caused.
- Improve your credit score: Drivers with poor credit tend to file more claims than drivers with good credit. Because of this, many insurance companies take credit scores into consideration when determining the cost of premiums. Improve your credit score over time for better Tennessee car insurance quotes.
Enter your zip code in the tool below or call (844) 246-8209 to collect and compare Tennessee car insurance quotes from the cheapest car insurance providers available in your state:
Minimum Requirements For Car Insurance: Tennessee
Each state has different regulations about the minimum car insurance required for motorists to carry to legally operate a vehicle in that state. Tennessee is a 25/50/15 state. This means Tennessee auto insurance quotes will cover at least the minimum liability limits of:
- $25,000 in bodily injury liability per person
- $50,000 in bodily injury liability per accident
- $15,000 in property damage liability per accident
Motorists that have a loan or lease on their car may also be required to carry comprehensive car coverage and collision coverage. Many drivers purchase more than the state minimum coverage anyway.
Is It Mandatory To Have Car Insurance In Tennessee?
Tennessee has a financial responsibility law that requires motorists to be able to prove that they are financially capable of paying for the cost of injuries or damages in an accident. Having proof of car insurance is the best way for drivers to prove they’re financially responsible.
Tennessee is an at-fault state, meaning that the person who caused the accident is responsible for paying the damages resulting from an accident. After an accident in Tennessee, injured motorists will proceed in one of three ways to get the amount they are owed from the at-fault driver:
- File a claim with their car insurance company to later be reimbursed by the insurance company of the at-fault driver.
- File a third-party claim with the car insurance company of the at-fault driver.
- File a third-party injury lawsuit in civil court against the at-fault driver.
To avoid having to pay costs out of pocket, Tennessee drivers are required to carry basic liability car insurance.
What If I Can’t Afford The Minimum Car Insurance In Tennessee?
A driver caught operating a vehicle without proper proof of insurance will receive a misdemeanor. Drivers without insurance could face serious consequences, such as:
- Fines up to $2,500
- Jail time for up to 11 months and 29 days
- Possible suspension of driving privileges
- Reinstatement fees for driving privileges
Once a driver is able to prove that they are insured, the driver is required to file SR-22 insurance documents to prove financial responsibility in the event of an accident. The driver can also expect increased car insurance rates for Tennessee insurance quotes after this type of infraction.
Our Recommendations For Car Insurance Quotes: Tennessee
When shopping for the cheapest car insurance, it’s a good idea to compare auto insurance quotes from multiple providers to be sure you’re getting the best price for your premiums. We recommend that drivers in Tennessee consider State Farm. To learn more, read our article on the best Tennessee auto insurance.
|Best Tennessee Auto Insurance||Motor1 Rating||Customer Service||Affordability||Coverage|
|1. State Farm Car Insurance||4.5||3.5||4.0||4.0|
|2. Geico Car Insurance||4.5||4.0||4.0||4.0|
|3. Erie Car Insurance||4.0||4.5||4.5||4.0|
|4. USAA Car Insurance||5.0||5.0||4.5||4.5|
*You may notice that some car insurance companies are listed above those with higher star ratings. This is because our ratings take into account nationwide factors, while our ranking looks specifically at what insurance providers are best for auto insurance in Tennessee.
State Farm Insurance Quotes
State Farm has very high liability limits (500/500/500), which are more than enough to meet Tennessee’s minimum requirements to cover expenses in the event of car accidents. The car insurance company has good reviews by customers and industry experts. AM Best gives State Farm a financial strength rating of A++ (Superior), and the Better Business Bureau (BBB) rates the provider at A+. Learn more in our State Farm auto insurance review article.
State Farm has various discounts like the Drive Safe and Save Program that uses data gathered by a mobile app on your phone to monitor your driving habits. This data could qualify you for discounts if you’re a safe driver and will never be used against you. Make sure to ask about other discounts when you reach out for a quote.
Enter your zip code in the tool below or call (844) 246-8209 to start comparing car insurance quotes and save money:
Read some of our other auto insurance guides:
- Tri-State Auto Insurance Review
- Central Auto Insurance Review
- Fidelity Car Insurance Review
- Harco Auto Insurance Review
- Trumbull Insurance Company Review
- The General Insurance Review