As the largest general farm organization in the state, we found that Farm Bureau Insurance in Michigan is a strong regional option for auto needs. The company offers coverage for cars, businesses, crops, farms, and even larger categories like life, homes, and retirement.
Despite its smaller-than-average operation, we were impressed with Michigan Farm Bureau Insurance’s consistent ratings, positive reviews, and extensive coverage. If you are a resident of the Great Lake State – whether you’re a part of the farming community or not – this could be a dependable option for you.
We recently reviewed 30 of the best car insurance companies in the nation, ranking them on coverage, availability, discounts, industry reputation, and customer experience. How does Michigan Farm Bureau stack up to the bigger companies? Let’s go through everything you need to know about Farm Bureau Insurance in Michigan.
As always, we recommend getting quotes from several car insurance companies and comparing coverage before making a final decision. Use our quote comparison tool above to get started. Or, for an even easier process, call our team at (844) 246-8209 to get free, personalized quotes seven days a week.
In this article:
- About Farm Bureau Insurance In Michigan
- Michigan Farm Bureau Insurance Coverage
- Michigan Farm Bureau Insurance Cost And Discounts
- Michigan Farm Bureau Insurance Reviews And Ratings
- Michigan Farm Bureau Apps And Technology
- Our Take On Farm Bureau Insurance In Michigan: 4.0 Stars
- Recommendations For Car Insurance In 2021
- FAQ: Farm Bureau Insurance Michigan
About Farm Bureau Insurance In Michigan
Michigan Farm Bureau is a part of the American Farm Bureau Federation network of organizations that offer coverage through the United States. Headquartered in Lansing, Michigan’s bureau only provides services and support to those living and working in Michigan, so it naturally has a smaller client pool than other major car insurance providers.
Here are some quick facts about Farm Bureau Insurance in Michigan:
- There are 450 local agents around Michigan.
- It was founded in 1949 by Michigan farmers seeking local representation.
- All of its insurance plans cover nearly 500,000 customers.
It should be noted that to be eligible for insurance through the Farm Bureau, you have to be a farm bureau member.
We found Michigan Farm Bureau Insurance to be a great choice for those with local and state pride. The company's insurance agents have an in-depth understanding of Michigan auto insurance laws, which can be a little complex since Michigan is a no-fault state.
Michigan Farm Bureau Insurance Coverage
Michigan Farm Bureau offers auto insurance products for individuals, businesses, and specialty vehicles. This includes classic car insurance, as well as insurance to protect your mobile home, motorcycles, and RVs.
Michigan Farm Bureau Insurance covers all the mandatory types of auto insurance in the state, which include:
- Bodily injury liability (BI)
- Property damage liability (PD)
- Personal injury protection (PIP)
We recommend speaking to an agent about coverage above the state minimum, as the minimum may not be enough to pay for serious accidents.
You have the option to add the following extra coverages to your Michigan Farm Bureau insurance plan.
- Limited property damage liability: This covers mini-tort claims specific to Michigan. Even though Michigan is a no-fault state, the driver who can prove they are less than 50 percent at fault for an accident can take you to court. If proven true in court, the victim can receive up to $1,000 to cover damages not insured by their own agency.
- Comprehensive coverage: This covers damage from most weather-related events, theft, and vandalism, often with a deductible.
- Limited, regular, or broadened collision protection: Collision covers you when you hit another vehicle or object such as a tree or fence. Michigan Farm Bureau Insurance offers three levels of coverage.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist: This covers you when the other driver is at fault and doesn’t have enough or any insurance.
- Emergency road service: With Farm Bureau Insurance in Michigan, you can get roadside assistance for tire changes, towing, battery jumps, fueling services, fluid delivery, or lockout assistance.
- Rental car reimbursement: This covers up to $30 a day for up to 30 days if your car is unusable and getting repaired for an approved claim.
- Travel interruption: This covers transportation, lodging, and meals up to $600 for a collision or comprehensive claim when you’re more than 100 miles from home.
- Replacement cost: Depending on the nature of the claim, you can get your totaled vehicle replaced by a new vehicle of the same make and model.
Michigan Farm Bureau Insurance Cost And Discounts
Everyone’s car insurance quotes vary based on factors like driving record, credit history, age, and where you live, as well as your car's make, model, and year. Unfortunately, Michigan has some of the highest annual premiums in the country, averaging $1,469.73 in 2017, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC).
Michigan Farm Bureau Insurance has a variety of ways to pay for your policy, including:
- Monthly electronic funds transfer (EFT)
- Traditional monthly payments
- Quarterly payments
- Semi-annual payments
- Full payments for annual contracts
To be eligible for Farm Bureau Insurance, you are required to be a member of the Farm Bureau. Members are required to pay yearly membership dues of $20 to $90 a year, depending on your associate or community.
Discounts On Farm Bureau Insurance In Michigan
You can lower your monthly costs for Michigan Farm Bureau Insurance if you qualify for any of the company’s discount opportunities.
Discounted rates for annual payments or payments made via EFT
Lower rates when you insure multiple vehicles
Discount for accident- and violation-free driving
Vehicle Safety Features
Discount for features like anti-lock brakes, anti-theft devices, and airbags
Bundle with other Farm Bureau Insurance policies for reduced rates
Farm Bureau policyholders can also receive a range of discounts in the community. These discounts can include money off:
- Car rentals
- Health, dental, and eye care
Michigan Farm Bureau Quotes Process
You can get a car insurance quote directly from Michigan Farm Bureau Insurance in one of two ways:
- Enter your information online.
- Reach out to a Farm Bureau insurance agent to request a quote or call for more information.
The quotes process is similar to what you will find with other major insurance providers, however, we did find it difficult to locate the quote form on the website. We recommend using this easy quote tool to see the best rates for your specific situation:
Michigan Farm Bureau Insurance Reviews And Ratings
You can feel confident about the financial health of Farm Bureau insurance in Michigan. In 2017, AM Best – one of the most trusted financial strength rating companies – upgraded Farm Bureau Insurance Company of Michigan from a B++ to an A-. The company is also accredited by the BBB and received an A+ rating.
Even individual locations throughout Michigan receive an above-average number of positive reviews. When Farm Bureau falls short, comments address confusion with the claims process, understanding contracts, and a few negative customer service interactions.
When we analyzed company policies and reviews, a few things stood out to us about coverage with Michigan Farm Bureau Insurance:
- Great company for regional knowledge and involvement
- An extensive list of coverages for both individuals and businesses
- No mobile app but claims can be submitted through the FB Express web app
- Fewer discount opportunities than other companies
- Offers roadside assistance
You can gain great insight from hearing first-hand experiences from those who use Farm Bureau Insurance in Michigan:
Positive Customer Reviews
“Kyle and his team were very easy to work with and took a lot of the stress off me. They were quick to answer any questions that I had, and were very friendly.”
- Jerica W., DeWitt Township, MI
“I cannot say enough about the staff here. They are super helpful. They are just what you need when you have insurance questions or a claim. There is a reason I will go [nowhere] else!”
- Russell F., Portland, MI
Negative Customer Reviews
Two customers reported complications with auto-withdrawal of their monthly premiums, typically resulting from miscommunication or clerical error. Another customer had a lengthy exchange with representatives regarding billing complications and long waits on hold.
Claims Process With Farm Bureau
Some customer reviews also mentioned the Farm Bureau's claim process. Our review team was impressed by the online claims setup for Farm Bureau Insurance in Michigan. J.D. Power rated the claims process as Better Than Most in its 2019 U.S. Auto Insurance StudySM.
You can submit a claim online or call. You can also login into your account to check the status of your claim if you’re waiting for a response. If an accident occurs during traditional business hours, you can also call your local agent for assistance.
Michigan Farm Bureau Apps And Technology
Even though Farm Bureau Insurance in Michigan does not offer a mobile app for auto insurance, it does have an impressive website for a company of this size. You can take the following actions online:
- Request a quote
- Report a claim
- Find a preferred repair facility
- Check your claim status
- Chat directly with an associate
- Pay your bill
Our Take On Farm Bureau Insurance In Michigan: 4.0 Stars
We rated Farm Bureau insurance in Michigan 4.0 of 5.0 stars. We like the provider's extensive coverage, strong financial standing, and mostly positive customer reviews. However, it does offer fewer discounts than other car insurance companies. Overall, we like the insurer, but it may not be the best for Michigan drivers on a budget.
|Michigan Farm Bureau Insurance Pros||Michigan Farm Bureau Insurance Cons|
An extensive list of coverage for individuals and businesses
Must be a Michigan resident
A+ rating from the BBB and A- financial strength rating
from AM Best
Fewer discount opportunities than other companies
Regional knowledge and local involvement
Positive customer reviews
To start comparing free, personalized car insurance quotes in Michigan, use the tool below.
Recommendations For Car Insurance In 2021
We recently researched the top car insurance companies in the country, sorting through prices, coverage, customer reviews, and industry ratings. Two companies, MetLife and USAA, really stood to our team as having the best car insurance in Michigan. Here’s a quick rundown of both.
MetLife Auto Insurance
MetLife auto insurance is one of the largest insurance agencies in the world and can be trusted for its financial stability and a low number of customer complaints. It is an affordable option in Michigan, even in some of the more densely populated cities. In addition to standard coverage, you can get the following with MetLife:
- Replacement cost coverage for major parts
- New car replacement coverage
- Custom sound equipment coverage
- Glass repairs without deductibles
- Rental car insurance
- Rental car reimbursement
- Towing and roadside assistance
- Gap insurance
We always recommend getting quotes from a few providers so you can compare coverage and cost to make sure you’re getting the best deal.
USAA Auto Insurance
If you or an immediate family serve or have served in the armed forces, you could be eligible for USAA auto insurance. Our team's USAA auto insurance review found USAA to be the only company that received a 5.0-star rating in our 2021 review. The company’s extensive coverage can be purchased at an affordable rate, especially when utilizing discounts. Along with standard coverage, you can get:
- Roadside assistance
- Rental reimbursement
- Accident forgiveness
- Glass coverage
- Gap insurance
- Car replacement assistance
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read our other insurance articles:
- Mississippi Farm Bureau Auto Insurance Review
- Oklahoma Farm Bureau Auto Insurance Review
- Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance Review
- Southern Farm Bureau Car Insurance Review
- Iowa Farm Bureau Auto Insurance Review
- Auto Insurance In Battle Creek, Michigan
- North Carolina Farm Bureau Insurance Review
- Mountain West Farm Bureau Review