Wawanesa is best for good drivers who don’t need fancy tech.
Wawanesa auto insurance originates in Canada and today is available only in California and Oregon. Wawanesa only insures good drivers, which means not everyone will qualify for a quote but in this article, we’ll look at Wawanesa insurance reviews, coverage options, customer service reputation, and more. We'll also see how Wawanesa compares to our reviews of the best auto insurance providers.
Whether you are looking to switch providers or are shopping for car insurance for the first time, we recommend that you compare multiple car insurance quotes so you can compare coverage and rates. In addition to the car insurance company you choose, factors such as your age, vehicle make and model, and driving history can affect your premium, so what’s best for your neighbor might not be best for you.
Use our tool above or call (844) 246-8209 to start comparing personalized car insurance quotes.
In this article:
- Wawanesa Insurance Overview
- Wawanesa Auto Insurance Coverage
- How To Save On Wawanesa Auto Insurance
- Getting A Wawanesa Auto Insurance Quote
- Filing A Claim With Wawanesa Auto Insurance
- Wawanesa Insurance Reviews
- The Missing Wawanesa Mobile App
- Our Verdict: Is Wawanesa Auto Insurance Good?
- Best Car Insurance Providers
Wawanesa Insurance Overview
Wawanesa’s roots go back to 1896 when the company began – it was named after the area where it was formed. Today, it’s one of the top 10 largest insurance companies in Canada, but the United States operation is small compared to other providers. According to its website, it has an AM Best financial strength rating of an A. Wawanesa also has an A+ rating and accreditation from the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
Not all of Wawanesa's insurance products are available in both states:
|Identity Theft Insurance||✔|
Wawanesa Auto Insurance Coverage
With Wawanesa auto insurance, you can get these standard types of auto insurance:
- Liability insurance
- Collision insurance
- Comprehensive insurance
- Medical payments (MedPay)
- Personal injury protection (PIP)
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM)
Wawanesa Insurance Add-Ons
- Vehicle manufacturer replacement parts: With this coverage option, your car will be repaired with OEM parts. You need to have collision and comprehensive coverage, and your car needs to be under 11 years old to qualify.
- Rental expense: Wawanesa auto insurance can cover rental car costs. You can set your daily limit up to $50. If you choose a $50 daily limit, your plan will have a $1,500 total limit per covered claim. You need to have comprehensive or collision coverage to get this type of coverage.
- Roadside assistance: If you use Wawanesa’s preferred provider, Wawanesa will pay the provider directly up to $100 per occurrence. If you use another provider, you can get reimbursed $50 per occurrence (or $100 for lockout services).
Be aware, Wawanesa may or may not offer accident forgiveness. It is not listed as a benefit on the website for Oregon or California, but the website for Canada mentions it. It’s best not to count on it.
Wawanesa does not offer rideshare insurance. If you drive for a company like Uber or Lyft, you need to search elsewhere for a insurer that can cover you.
How To Save On Wawanesa Auto Insurance
The only way to know exactly what you will pay for Wawanesa auto insurance is to get a quote. The price you see is based on the risk that the company assigns to your profile. It’s influenced by a number of factors, including:
- Age: Drivers between the ages of 30 and 60 enjoy the best rates.
- Zip code: More accidents happen in densely populated areas.
- Credit score: Having no credit or a very poor score can increase your premium in Oregon (not California).
- Driving record: Wawanesa weeds out bad drivers, but an average driver will still pay more than a driver with a perfect history. If you get into an accident, your insurance rate will increase for the next three policy years.
- The type of car you drive: Certain cars cost more to insure than others. If you’re buying a new car, family-oriented SUVs are among the cheapest to insure.
You may also qualify for the following discounts from Wawanesa depending on your situation:
- Good driver
- Mature driver improvement course
- Driver training
- Vehicle recovery system (OR only)
- Autopay and paperless billing (OR only)
- Continuous coverage (OR only)
- Multi-policy (OR only)
Getting A Wawanesa Auto Insurance Quote
In the modern age, everyone expects to be able to buy things online. Wawanesa fulfills this expectation for most drivers. Getting an online quote is easy and requires:
- Personal information
- Vehicle information
- Information on other drivers in your household
- Your driving history
However, not everyone can get an online quote for Wawanesa auto insurance. If you meet any of the following criteria, you'll have to call in and speak with Wawanesa’s quote specialists instead:
- If you are looking for motorhome or trailer insurance, or you need insurance for more than nine vehicles
- If you need insurance for vehicles that transport goods commercially
- If any driver on your insurance policy, besides students away at school, don't live in your home (only for Oregon drivers)
Also, not every driver is even eligible for Wawanesa auto insurance in the first place. While some companies focus on insuring high-risk drivers, Wawanesa is the opposite. The company uses your driving history to give you an accurate quote and determine eligibility for insurance.
If you don't meet the company's underwriting criteria as a good driver, you won't qualify for a policy. Here are a few things that can disqualify you:
- If you’ve had your license for under 3 years
- An at-fault accident within the past 3 years
- Committed a traffic violation in the past 3 years if you are under the age of 25
- If any driver on your insurance policy, besides students away at school, don't live in your home (disqualifies Californian drivers)
- Been convicted of an alcohol, drug, or manslaughter offense in the past 3 years (Oregon) or 10 years (California)
To find an insurance company that is more forgiving, simply call (844) 246-8209 use this tool:
Once you have a policy, you can pay for it in a couple of ways. Either use a credit or debit card online or pay directly with your bank account (you’ll pay a fee to use a card). Wawanesa does have an autopay option, too.
Filing A Claim With Wawanesa Insurance
Policyholders can submit a Wawanesa auto insurance claim 24/7 online or by calling a toll-free claims number to speak directly to a customer service representative. Usually, an appraiser can inspect your vehicle within 48 hours. You can choose any repair shop you want. But if you choose to use a repair shop that Wawanesa recommends, Wawanesa will guarantee the repair shop’s work for as long as you own the car.
On J.D. Power’s 2020 U.S. Auto Insurance Study, Wawanesa was the top provider in the California region, scoring 853 out of 1,000 points. The study asked customers to rate auto insurance companies on interaction, policy offerings, pricing, billing process and policy information, and claims.
Wawanesa Insurance Reviews
While many Wawanesa customers are happy, others are less so. In a number of Wawanesa insurance reviews that we looked at, there are a couple of common themes. People talk about long wait times to speak with an agent and periodic increases in premiums when no car accident or claim had been filed.
Here are a few Wawanesa insurance reviews from the company’s BBB reviews page.
Positive Wawanesa Insurance Reviews:
“I've had them for years. Honestly [I] left to [another company] but returned after a year.”
-Jose via BBB
“I have been with this company for many years. [I] was surprised when the rates went up recently. This being said I called around to try and find a better price and still could not come up with one. My only complaint would be sometimes you have to wait a while to get through [to] customer service. However the last two times I called I got through very quickly.”
-Angela via BBB
Negative Wawanesa Insurance Reviews:
“We've been with Wawanesa for 8 years. Never a claim or accident… This year 20 days before my policy expired they raised one of my two car premiums by 20 [percent]... The rep that took my call could only say there was a rate increase straight across the board this year. Same exact thing they told me last year.”
-Kirk via BBB
The Missing Wawanesa Mobile App
On Wawanesa’s website, you can find links to the mobile insurance app for IOS and Android devices. However, the links seem to be broken – they lead to error pages. We also couldn’t find an app for Wawanesa auto insurance by searching either of the app stores. It looks like Wawanesa launched an app in 2015, but what happened to it after that is a mystery.
Our Verdict: Is Wawanesa Auto Insurance Good?
We rated Wawanesa Insurance 4.0 out of 5.0 stars because it has great industry standing but it is lacking in availability and mobile options. Judging from the J.D. Power survey in California, Wawanesa could be a good option for Golden State drivers. There are certainly worse ones out there, but we believe there might be better providers for you.
A+ rating with accreditation from the Better Business Bureau (BBB)
BBB customer reviews give the company 1.9 stars
|Coverage for original equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts||No mobile app at this time|
|A good number of discounts|
|A- financial rating from AM Best|
To explore your other options, use the tool below or call our team at (844) 246-8209 for free quotes.
Best Car Insurance Providers
The only way to make sure you're getting the best price is to shop around and get multiple car insurance quotes. After looking at dozens of the most popular insurance companies, we've ranked the best car insurance providers on things like coverage options, low rates, and customer service.
USAA: 5.0 Stars
USAA is consistently on top of any industry survey or study that you can find, and that includes J.D. Power’s 2020 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study and Insurance Shopping Study.
Membership is limited to military veterans and their family members, but if you qualify, you should definitely get an auto quote from the company. That's because USAA tends to be less expensive than any other car insurance company out there.
USAA also has a strong mobile app that lets you file a claim, request roadside assistance, and view your ID card. The app has high ratings on Google Play and the App Store, so it definitely works. Additional options from USAA include roadside assistance, rental reimbursement, and accident forgiveness. For more, read our USAA auto insurance review.
Progressive: 4.5 Stars
If you can't get USAA, Progressive is another great option for car insurance. While Progressive’s prices might not be as cheap as USAA’s, they're usually cheaper than prices from many other companies.
Progressive’s website even lets you compare rates from other providers so you can save time. According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, Progressive is the third-largest car insurance company in the country, behind State Farm and Geico.
One cool thing about Progressive is the Snapshot program that can lower your premium based on how you drive. You can participate either through a mobile app or a plug-in device. Be aware that if Progressive finds out you are a high-risk driver, the company can raise your rates.
According to Progressive’s website, people save about $145 on their next policy period on average. Additional options from Progressive include roadside assistance, loan/lease payoff, rental reimbursement, and custom parts/equipment value. Read our Progressive auto insurance review for more information.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read our other insurance articles:
- Good2Go Auto Insurance Reviews
- Arbella Car Insurance Reviews
- Safeco Car Insurance Reviews
- Amica Auto Insurance Reviews
- Hallmark Car Insurance Reviews
- Oxford Auto Insurance Reviews
- AIG Auto Insurance Reviews
- Safe Auto Insurance Review
- Technology Insurance Company Review
- Accurate Auto Insurance Review
- Rural Mutual Insurance Review