If you live in a state where Grange Auto Insurance provides coverage, you may be wondering if it’s the right provider for you. Our expert team took an in-depth look at Grange auto insurance reviews, insurance options, discounts, customer service, and more to see how the company measures up to the best car insurance companies in the country.
With this information, you can see if Grange provides the auto policies and insurance rates that make it a good provider for you.
In this article:
- Grange Insurance Highlights
- Grange Auto Insurance Coverage
- Grange Auto Insurance Cost
- Grange Auto Insurance Discounts
- Grange Auto Insurance Reviews
- Our Take On Grange Auto Insurance: 4.0 Stars
- Our Recommended Auto Insurance Providers
- FAQ: Grange Auto Insurance
Grange Insurance Highlights
Grange Insurance is a mutual insurance company founded in 1935 to provide affordable car insurance to members of the grange, known as the National Grange Patrons of the Husbandry. It has an A- rating from AM Best and is headquartered in Columbus, Ohio.
Grange Insurance has been affiliated with Integrity Insurance since 2002. Together, both companies sell affordable and customizable auto, life, homeowners, renters umbrella, motorcycle, boat, and business insurance products across 13 states, including Iowa, Illinois, Georgia, Indiana, Michigan, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Minnesota, Tennessee, South Carolina, Virginia, and Wisconsin.
In 2018, the Grange Mutual Casualty Group wrote more than $574 million in private passenger auto premiums and over $1.23 billion in total premiums across all lines, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC).
Grange Auto Insurance Coverage
Grange sells standard types of car insurance as well as policy add-ons. The availability and limits of each coverage can vary by state. Since Grange sells its products through independent agents, they would be your best resource if you have any questions about your eligibility. Depending on the coverage, Grange customers may be eligible for a grace period of 30 days for adding new cars to their policies.
- Liability coverage: Liability coverage – both bodily injury (BI) and property damage (PD) – is mandatory in almost all states. Both offer protection if you are at fault in an accident that causes injury to others or damages their car or property. If you buy only the minimum coverage in your state, it may not give you adequate protection if you are in a serious at-fault accident. It is always a good idea to buy as much liability coverage as you can reasonably afford.
- Collision coverage: Property damage liability coverage only pays for damage to the other person’s car. Collision coverage will pay for damage to your car if you are in a collision with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive coverage: Comprehensive coverage pays for damage to your car due to reasons other than collision. Theft, vandalism, and fire are a few examples. While comprehensive coverage and collision coverage are optional, you will be required to have them if you are leasing or financing your vehicle.
- Medical payments coverage: Medical payments coverage will help pay for you and your passengers' medical expenses if you are in a car accident.
- Personal injury protection (PIP) coverage: Some no-fault states require drivers to have PIP coverage. In most cases, this coverage will pay for medical expenses related to your injuries from the accident, funeral expenses, loss of income, and the cost of the services you are unable to perform because of your injuries.
- Underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage: Underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage protects you if you were hit by someone with very little or no insurance.
Grange Auto Insurance also offers optional policy add-ons such as ridesharing gap coverage, roadside assistance with towing service, full glass repair coverage, rental car reimbursement, pet injury coverage, identity theft coverage, original equipment manufacturer (OEM) coverage, loan/lease gap coverage, and personal umbrella insurance.
Grange Auto Insurance Cost
The cost of your car insurance from Grange will depend on many factors, including your age, location, driving record, driving habits, and vehicle. In some states, your credit score may also affect your rates. Typically, expensive, sporty, or high-horsepower vehicles are more expensive to insure.
Since Grange sells policies through independent insurance agents you'll need to get in touch with a Grange independent agent if you want to buy coverage or know how much your insurance coverage will cost. On the company's website, www.grangeinsurance.com, you can find a local agent near you.
To help you compare your quote, here are the average insurance costs for each of the states in which Grange offers coverage:
|State||Allstate Annual Cost Estimate||State Average Cost Estimate|
Data not available
Some Grange independent agents may have online tools to help you personalized insurance quotes. You will be asked for standard information such as your name, address, age, marital status, the make, model, and year of your car, the vehicle identification number (VIN), and details of other people you would like to add to the policy.
Many factors effect your insurance rates, such as:
- Gender listed on your drivers license
- Marital status
- Credit score
- Driving history
The following tables show average annual rate estimates for different driver profiles from a few top insurance providers:
Car Insurance Estimates For Good Drivers
|Car Insurance Company||Annual Rate Estimate|
Car Insurance Estimates For Drivers With Poor Credit
|Car Insurance Company||Annual Rate Estimate|
Car Insurance Estimates For Young Drivers
|Car Insurance Company||Annual Rate Estimate|
Grange Auto Insurance Discounts
Grange’s auto insurance discounts can help bring down your insurance premiums. Like many companies, policyholders who bundle their auto insurance with products like home insurance or life insurance will get a discount on each policy.
You should know that some of these discounts may apply only to certain coverages. For example, the anti-theft discount will apply only to your comprehensive coverage premium.
Here are the discounts that Grange offers:
- Advanced purchase discount
- Multi-car discount
- Multi-policy discount
- Good student discount
- Student away at school discount
- Passive restraint discount
- Mature driver discount
- Defensive driving discount
- Full payment discount
- Anti-theft discount
- Safe driver discount
- Electric or hybrid vehicle discount
If you plan to insure your car with Grange, don’t forget to talk to your insurance agent about your eligibility for auto insurance discounts. Please note that some discounts are available only in certain states.
Though it doesn’t have online quoting, Grange auto insurance offers online account management for customers. Grange auto insurance customers can view their policy, pay bills, report claims, and more. Grange also has apps (iOS and Android) for customers who wish to manage their policies on their mobile devices.
Grange Auto Insurance Reviews
Grange Insurance has a reputation for decent customer service. In the 2020 J.D. Power Auto Insurance StudySM, Grange Insurance was ranked seventh out of 25 companies for overall customer satisfaction in the North Central region.
The company has been accredited with the BBB since 1970 and has an A+ rating.
Positive Grange Auto Insurance Reviews
The company's customer reviews on BBB are mostly positive, and many praise the company’s professionalism in handling claims.
“I have worked with [an agent] at Grange, and he has been very detailed, efficient and professional. I had called on a Tuesday regarding a claim, and by Wednesday of the same week, it was resolved. I have Grange for my home and auto and would highly recommend them."
- Kim via BBB
Negative Grange Auto Insurance Reviews
The company’s complaint history on the BBB reveals 40 complaints filed against it in the last 3 years, out of which 12 have been closed in the last 12 months. Grange Insurance has replied to each complaint and offered explanations or possible resolutions, which we think indicates the company is committed to ensuring a fair experience for all customers.
Like any other insurance company, Grange auto insurance has its share of negative customer reviews on the BBB. Complaints range from sudden rises in premiums to poor communication to delays in receiving compensation or claims resolution.
Since Grange Insurance sells policies through independent agents, we also suggest looking up customer reviews for your area to get an idea about the local service quality.
Our Take On Grange Auto Insurance: 4.0 Stars
Grange auto insurance is most suited for customers who prefer working with an insurance agent instead of quoting or buying a policy online. Also, it offers a wide variety of insurance discounts that can help bring down the premiums for eligible customers.
A+ rating from the BBB
Only available in 13 states
A- financial strength rating from AM Best
|Cannot obtain a quote online|
The Grange website doesn't reference valuable extras such as accident forgiveness or new car replacement coverage. But a company representative reached out recently to tell us they are included. Our research suggests they were added in 2017 for PinPoint Auto Products. Make sure to specifically ask your agent if these features are included in your policy and check the fine print of the policy before purchasing.
Our Recommended Auto Insurance Providers
If you don’t live in any of the 13 states that Grange services, or would simply like to look at more options before finalizing your insurance coverage, we recommend reading our review of the best car insurance companies on the market. It’s always smart to shop around and get quotes from multiple providers when buying car insurance.
In our USAA auto insurance review, we gave the company the highest score in the industry, and it is also rated A++ by AM Best for financial strength. USAA has competitive prices and high customer satisfaction ratings. Coverage is available to U.S. military members, candidates in commissioning programs, and spouses and children of USAA members with an auto or home policy.
If you are not a military family, Geico car insurance, which we rated Best Overall, is your next best option in terms of coverage, cost, and financial strength. Our team's Geico auto insurance review found that the insurer has an A++ rating from AM Best and offers great discounts for loyal customers just like USAA.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read our other insurance articles:
- AARP Auto Insurance Review
- Arbella Car Insurance Review
- TruStage Auto Insurance Review
- Foremost Auto Insurance Review
- AIG Auto Insurance Review
- Safe Auto Insurance Review
- Accurate Auto Insurance Review
- Wawanesa Auto Insurance Review