See if this provider has the right coverage and affordable rates.
In our review of the best car insurance companies, we looked at many factors, including coverage options, premiums, discounts, and customer service ratings. In this article, we do the same: analyze National General Auto Insurance reviews, coverage options, and more to help you determine if the provider is worth calling.
Use the tool below to see what’s available in your area and start comparing quotes. Or, for an even easier process, call our team at (855) 518-0148 to get free, personalized quotes seven days a week.
In this article:
- About National General Insurance
- National General Auto Insurance Coverage
- National General Insurance Cost And Discounts
- National General Insurance Reviews
- National General Insurance Technology/Apps
- Our Take On National General Auto Insurance: 4.0 Stars
- Recommended Providers
About National General Insurance
National General Insurance has sold car insurance policies across the U.S. since 1939. According to its website, the company prides itself on listening to its customers and providing affordable coverage and outstanding service. It offers auto insurance policies as well as health insurance, home insurance, motorcycle insurance, and RV insurance coverage.
National General Auto Insurance offers several money-saving discounts and rewards its policyholders for driving safely and making other smart choices off the road. It has an A- (Excellent) financial strength rating from AM Best.
National General Auto Insurance Coverage
Car insurance companies typically offer several types of coverage. National General Auto Insurance offers the standard coverages explained below:
- Liability Auto Insurance: This coverage is required in most states. It will pay for medical bills and/or property damage suffered by others if you’re found at fault for an accident. Bodily Injury Liability will cover another person’s medical bills, and Property Damage Liability will cover damage to someone else’s property.
- Medical Payments: This coverage will pay for medical bills if you, another covered driver, or a passenger are injured in an accident. Some states require Medical Payments coverage, while it’s optional in other locations.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP): This can cover your medical expenses resulting from injuries sustained in a car accident, as well as other associated costs you may incur due to your injuries, such as lost income. PIP coverage is only available in some states.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist: This coverage will pay for your medical bills and/or repairs to your vehicle if you are hit by another driver who doesn’t have insurance. Underinsured Motorist coverage will pay if you are hit by someone who has insurance, but whose coverage limits aren’t high enough to cover the full costs of your medical and/or repair bills.
- Collision: Pays for damage to your vehicle if you are involved in an accident, regardless of who is at fault, after you have met your deductible. Collision coverage is particularly important if you live in an area that tends to get a lot of snow and ice in the winter, since it will cover you if you hit another vehicle, a tree, a sign, or anything else.
- Comprehensive: Sometimes referred to as “Other Than Collision” coverage, it will pay for damage to your vehicle caused by something other than an accident, such as severe weather, fire, theft, vandalism, a falling object, or an animal.
National General Insurance also offers:
- Roadside Assistance: The National General Motor Club provides access to 24/7 roadside assistance, unlimited towing benefits, and emergency expense reimbursements for when your car breaks down far from home.
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment: Provides coverage for medical expenses, benefits for dismemberment or loss of sight, a hospital indemnity benefit, and daily benefit for loss of time.
- Auto Protection Plans: Similar to an extended warranty, these plans help pay for the cost of unexpected breakdowns.
Some forms of coverage are required, while others are optional. In many cases, rules depend on state law. In most cases, Collision and Comprehensive coverage are optional. If you have a vehicle loan or lease, however, you may be required to carry these types of coverage. After you have paid off your auto loan, you will be able to decide whether to keep Collision and/or Comprehensive coverage or to remove them from your policy to save money on your premiums.
National General Insurance Cost And Discounts
If you’re trying to figure out how much car insurance from National General Auto Insurance will cost, understand that auto insurers consider many factors to assess risk and set rates. Since each company has its own policies and assigns a different amount of weight to each of these factors, it’s important to compare quotes from several insurers to find the best rates.
- Driving record: Accidents, tickets, and previous claims can affect rates. The amount depends on the number of accidents or tickets, the seriousness of each accident or offense, and how long ago those events occurred.
- Age and gender: Rates are higher for teens than for older, more experienced drivers. Premiums are usually higher for teenage males than for teenage females. Auto insurance rates tend to go down when drivers reach their mid-20s, stay low through middle age, and increase around age 70.
- Marital status: Married people tend to be involved in fewer accidents than single drivers. Couples can also qualify for discounts if they purchase a multi-car policy or bundle other policies—such as homeowner's insurance—with auto coverage.
- Credit history: Auto insurers base their rates in part on a customer’s insurance score, which is calculated based on information included in credit reports. That information helps insurers predict which drivers are most likely to be involved in accidents and to file claims. People with lower credit scores tend to submit more accident claims and are therefore often charged higher premiums.
- Vehicle safety and features: Policyholders who drive cars with high safety ratings, air bags, traction control, anti-lock brakes, and other safety features typically have lower rates than those who drive less-safe vehicles. Larger cars are usually safer than smaller vehicles, and therefore less expensive to insure. Customers who drive vehicles frequently stolen may be charged higher premiums than drivers of other vehicles. Collision rates are higher for newer vehicles since the owner of a damaged newer car would have it repaired, while the owner of a damaged older car might simply replace it.
- Location: Urban areas have more congestion, higher rates of accidents and theft, and often more uninsured drivers than suburban and rural areas. Drivers in cities are therefore often charged higher insurance premiums.
National General Insurance customers have several opportunities to receive low rates on their polices pay taking advantage of discounts offered by the provider. These potential discounts include:
- Safe driver discount: In some states, drivers who complete a defensive driving course can qualify for lower premiums.
- Teen driver discounts: This is available for teenagers who complete an approved driver’s education course, drive a safe vehicle, don’t have any accidents or get any tickets, or earn good grades.
- Low mileage discount: Drivers who use an electronic device to record the number of miles they drive may be eligible for savings.
- Paid-in-full discount: Customers who pay their entire premium at the start of a policy term receive reduced rates.
- Auto-pay discount: This offers savings to policyholders who make automatic payments.
- Paperless discount: Customers who receive their bills electronically can benefit from reduced premiums.
- Multi-vehicle discount: These savings are for customers who insure two or more vehicles.
- Multi-policy discount: This is available to customers with multiple policies, such as auto, RV, and homeowners, issued by National General Auto Insurance.
- Motorcycle discount: These are savings for safe riders and for customers who insure multiple motorcycles.
- Anti-theft discount: This discount is available for customers who insure vehicles with anti-theft features installed by the manufacturer or by the owner after purchase.
- Affinity discount: These are offered to members of various organizations.
- General Motors discount: If you use GM/GMAC products and services or have OnStar®, you may qualify for more discounts.
National General Insurance Reviews
National General Auto Insurance touts its ability to process claims quickly. The company pays most small claims within 48 hours after they are filed. It guarantees customer satisfaction when it comes to claims service and will waive your deductible up to $250 if you are dissatisfied with their claims service. This is not available in Texas.
But what are customers saying? The National General Insurance company is accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has an A+ rating. It also has a 3 / 5 customer review score, which is relatively high for an insurance provider. There have been over 600 complaints filed against the company in the past 3 years, which is relatively low considering the size of the company.
Positive National General Insurance Reviews
Customers who are pleased with National General Insurance tend to praise the customer service. Agents are reported to be helpful, friendly, and kind—always something you want from the person you talk to after getting into an accident. One excited customer wrote:
"Absolutely the best, most friendly, prompt, and knowledgeable customer service reps ever. I can always get through to someone immediately, they always help and are always very friendly and professional! They make it personal and make me feel valued." - Aisha J. via BBB
Negative National General Insurance Reviews
Not every customer was satisfied with National General Insurance. Customers have reported frustrations with cancelling policies and poor claims servicing. There are several drivers who have complained about low payouts. One frustrated customer wrote:
"[T]hey do not want to pay for the damage that is done to your vehicle. [...] [T]hey quote the damage to your vehicle at one price and when you go to get it fixed it's more. [T]hen they tell you they're sending you a check for a certain amount and it's way less than what they say[,] and they won't let you get a second quote." - Doris N. via BBB
Overall, we think that National General Insurance has a reliable reputation. While there are some disaffected customers, most report positive service, and the company's general reputation is solid.
National General Insurance Technology/Apps
National General Insurance allows customers to file claims and purchase policies online, as is standard practice for the industry these days. Customers can also download National General Auto Insurance’s SmartDrive app to earn a 5-percent reduction in their premiums. Policyholders who demonstrate safe driving habits are eligible for even greater savings.
Our Take On National General Insurance: 4.0 Stars
We rate National General Auto Insurance 4.0 out of 5.0 stars. The company offers numerous discounts as well as a wide range of coverage options. National General Insurance reviews are somewhat mixed, but the company has been around for some time and maintains an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau. National General Insurance's website highlights its efficient claims service and its guarantee for repairs performed at its Gold Medal Repair Shops.
Before you purchase a car insurance policy, you should get in touch with several carriers to compare rates. We’ve looked at the coverage options, claims and customer service records, premiums, and discounts offered by many of the top auto insurance companies in the U.S. These are two of our top picks:
We gave USAA car insurance 5.0 stars overall. In addition to excellent customer service ratings, USAA’s premiums are affordable in many states. The company earned AM Best’s highest rating, A++, and the top spot in J.D. Power’s 2020 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study. USAA is often the best auto insurance option for current and former members of the military and their families.
Read more in our USAA insurance review.
We gave State Farm auto insurance an overall rating of 5 stars. It’s the largest auto insurance company in the U.S. and is known for providing outstanding customer service. State Farm offers several apps that allow customers to easily manage their policies, file claims, and earn discounts.
Read more in our State Farm insurance review.
To see if these providers are available in your state, call (855) 518-0148 or use our tool below:
Read our other insurance articles: