Many California residents are familiar with Workmen’s Auto Insurance Company (WAIC). The California-based company is a subsidiary of the larger Mercury Insurance Group and specializes in providing high-risk insurance for drivers with poor credit, tickets, or driving violations. Our guide will help you learn more about its coverages, costs, customer service, and ratings.
Choosing the right insurer and coverage could help you save hundreds of dollars every year, so don’t forget to also read our review of the best car insurance companies in the market for some great alternative provider options.
Use our tool below to start comparing personalized car insurance quotes:
In this article:
- Workmen’s Auto Insurance Company Overview
- Workmen’s Auto Insurance Company Coverage
- Workmen’s Auto Insurance Company Cost And Discounts
- Workmen’s Auto Insurance Company Reviews
- Our Take On Workmen’s Auto Insurance Company: 3.0 Stars
- Our Recommended Providers
- Frequently Asked Questions
Workmen’s Auto Insurance Company Overview
Workmen’s Auto Insurance Company was founded in Los Angeles in 1949 and specializes in non-standard personal auto insurance in California. It was acquired by the Mercury Insurance Group in 2014-2015 for a purchase price of $8 million and is now headquartered in Brea, California.
In all, the company wrote private passenger auto liability premiums over $27 million and auto physical damage premiums over $13 million in 2018. According to WAIC.com, the company sells plans through insurance agents and insurance agencies in California.
Workmen’s Auto Insurance Company has a convenient mobile app for Android users. You can use this app to pay bills or get a digital copy of your insurance ID card. The company has yet to come out with an app for the iOS platform.
Workmen’s Auto Insurance Company also provides 24/7 claims reporting. However, its customer service lines are open only Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST.
Over 70 years of experience
Doesn’t have online quotes or policy purchase options
Offers non-standard insurance
No iOS app
Mobile app for Android
Low customer ratings
Multiple bill payment options (online, app, and by phone)
Workmen’s Auto Insurance Company Coverage
From basic liability coverage to full coverage, Workmen’s Auto Insurance Company offers many types of insurance to suit the needs of all drivers.
- Bodily injury (BI) liability coverage: Pays for injuries to another person in an accident where you are at fault and up to the limits specified in your policy
- Property damage coverage: Pays for damages to another person’s car or property in an accident where you are at fault
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage: Protects you and your passengers if you are in an accident with an uninsured/underinsured driver and the accident was their fault
- Collision coverage: Covers damage to the vehicle if you are in a collision with another car or an object
- Comprehensive car insurance: Protects you from damages due to theft, fire, vandalism, or additional reasons other than collision.
Workmen’s Auto Insurance Company also offers these add-ons:
- Emergency roadside assistance: Provides coverage for towing, flat tire, dead battery, and lockouts
- Rental reimbursement: Pays for a rental car ($20 to $30 per day for a maximum of $600 to $900 per claim) while your car is being repaired due to a covered accident
- Limited Mexico coverage: Extends 25 miles into Mexico from the U.S border if you purchase limited Mexico coverage
Since Workmen’s Auto Insurance Company works mainly with non-standard drivers who find it difficult to obtain coverage elsewhere, the company will provide coverage even if you:
- Are new to the country
- Have poor credit
- Have a history of DUIs
- Have recent driving violations or accidents.
It will also help you with an SR-22 filing, also called a certificate of insurance or financial responsibility filing, if you need one.
Workmen’s Auto Insurance Company Cost And Discounts
Many insurance companies offer discounts for customers who fulfill certain criteria. If you’re planning to insure your car with Workmen’s Auto Insurance Company, here are a few discounts that can help bring down your premiums.
Multiple vehicle discount
Applies if you have insured more than one car with Workmen’s Auto Insurance Company
Good driver discount
Applies if you have a clean driving record at the time of purchase of the policy
Paid in full discount
Applies if you make full payment of your premium upfront
Mature driver discount
Applies to liability coverages if you are over 55 years of age and have successfully completed an approved Mature Driver Improvement Course
Available for all coverages except rental and roadside assistance if the policy has been continuously in force for a year
According to Workmen’s website, the company has “attractive down payment plans suitable for any budget.” This would involve paying a part of your premium at the time of purchase as a down payment and the remaining in installments over your six-month or twelve-month policy term. We suggest talking to an agent for more information.
Workmen’s Auto Insurance Company Reviews
Our team researched the company’s online reputation and customer reviews. Overall, Workmen's Auto Insurance Company has low ratings from customers. Many say agents and claims adjusters are hard to reach.
Here's an overview of the company's ratings:
- 1.9 out of 5.0 stars on Google
- 1.0 out of 5.0 stars on Yelp
- No customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) but 8 complaints
A quick look at the Workmen’s Auto Insurance Company business profile on the BBB reveals a “D” rating. There are zero reviews and a handful of complaints on the BBB. WAIC has a low rating because the company takes a long time to respond to customer complaints on the BBB.
Workmen’s Auto Insurance Company is also not accredited with BBB. It is important to note here that companies are not obligated to be accredited with the BBB, but many do it to demonstrate their commitment to dispute resolution and customer satisfaction.
Below are a few positive and negative example reviews.
Positive Workmen's Auto Insurance Company Reviews
"Long story, short my car got totalled. Personnel from Workmen's Auto were very prompt in helping me go through the process."
- Alan G. via Google
"Great insurance. I pay for coverage on my two cars and the price is less than $100. I am happy with my monthly payment."
- Nelly C. via Google
Negative Workmen's Auto Insurance Company Reviews
"They are unreachable, take weeks to get back to you, and will do everything in their power to not take care of you."
- Haik D. via Google
"This is the worst insurance company by far. Stay far away from these guys unless you have the time to send 35 emails to them just to get them to change your card information."
- Joshua T. via Google
Our Take On Workmen’s Auto Insurance Company: 3.0 Stars
We rate Workmen's Auto Insurance Company with 3.0 out of 5.0 stars overall. The company has a long history and is backed by Mercury Insurance, which is a strong provider. However, WAIC gets mostly negative reviews online, so we recommend comparing other providers as well.
Car insurance coverage terms, benefits, and costs can vary greatly from provider to provider. Make sure you get at least three or four quotes to get the best rates and the best coverage for your needs.
Enter your zip code below to start comparing multiple car insurance quotes.
Our Recommended Providers
National companies such as Progressive and State Farm, which were ranked highly in our recent review of best auto insurance companies in the market, also provide car insurance for high-risk or non-standard drivers.
Progressive auto insurance was one of the first to offer payment plans to non-standard car policyholders. In fact, Progressive Casualty Insurance Company was the first specialty underwriter for non-standard insurance in the country at the time of its founding.
In addition, the company has an A+ rating from AM Best for financial strength, offers extra coverage options like rideshare coverage and gap coverage, and has decent ratings in customer satisfaction and claims handling. For more information, read our Progressive insurance review.
State Farm auto insurance, which is the most popular car insurance company in the U.S., could be another great option for high-risk insurance, especially if you have a teen driver in the family.
Along with competitive rates and excellent customer service, the company also offers valuable discounts, such as the Good Student Discount, Student Away at School Discount, and Driver Training Discount, to lower your premiums. For more information, read our State Farm insurance review.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read our other insurance articles: