Learn more about New York car insurance cost and coverage.
From New York City to upstate, there is no shortage of places to go in the Empire State. To drive around New York legally, every motorist needs to carry car insurance.
But how much car insurance do you need and what exactly determines your New York car insurance quotes? To help explain it all, our review team takes a look at the cost of New York car insurance, the state minimum car insurance requirements, and more to answer your questions about car insurance in New York.
Whether you are new to car insurance or looking to switch providers, we always encourage you to get auto insurance quotes from several different providers and compare them. This ensures that you’re getting coverage for the best possible price. To give you an overview of car insurance providers, our review team took a look at 30+ of the best auto insurance providers and reviewed them based on financial strength, availability, customer service, costs, discounts, coverage, and technology.
To start, enter your zip code in the form below to get matched with the best auto insurance quotes in your area or call (844) 246-8209:
In this article:
- New York Car Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Factors That Affect New York Car Insurance Quotes
- What Is The Average New York Car Insurance Cost?
- How To Get The Cheapest Car Insurance Coverage In NY
- What If I Can’t Afford The New York Minimum Insurance?
- Our Recommendations For Car Insurance Quotes In NY
New York Car Insurance Minimum Requirements
Every state has different requirements for the minimum amount of auto insurance coverage motorists must carry to drive legally. New York State has liability insurance coverage limits of 25/50/10, which breaks down to:
- $25,000 for bodily injury per person and $50,000 for the death of a person involved in an accident
- $50,000 for bodily injury per accident and $100,000 for the death of two or more people in a car accident
- $10,00 for property damage
New York is a no-fault insurance state. This means that drivers are required to file a claim with their own insurance company after a car accident no matter which party was at fault. Drivers living in no-fault states must carry personal injury protection (PIP) coverage as part of their auto insurance policy.
In addition to the state minimum coverage, drivers can purchase other standard types of auto insurance to provide additional protection, including:
- Collision coverage
- Comprehensive car insurance
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UIM/UM)
- Medical payments (MedPay)
Factors That Affect New York Car Insurance Quotes
When you’re shopping for cheap New York car insurance quotes, your rates probably won’t be the same as your friends or family members. That’s because the amount you pay for car insurance depends on many factors.
- Your age, gender, marital status, and other demographic factors
- Your driving record
- Vehicle’s year, make, and model
- Your credit score/insurance score
- Your location
- Annual mileage
What Is The Average New York Car Insurance Cost?
Due to its population and median income, New York car insurance ranks among the most expensive in the country. According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), New York was the fifth most expensive state for car insurance in 2017, compared with a national average of $1,004.58. Here’s a breakdown of average car insurance coverage costs for New York car insurance that year:
|Type of Coverage||Average Expenditures in 2017|
*To calculate average expenditures, NAIC assumed that all insured vehicles would carry liability insurance but not necessarily collision or comprehensive. Total cost per year measures what consumers actually spent.
As discussed above, New York car insurance quotes vary based on many personal and demographic factors, so the auto insurance rates you get back from insurance companies could be higher or lower than the state average.
How To Get The Cheapest Car Insurance Coverage In NY
You can’t change your age or your driving record, but there are some things you do have control over. If you’re comparing New York car insurance quotes, make sure you consider the following tactics to get lower insurance premiums.
- Discounts: Discounts differ from one company to the next, but some of the more standard offerings include discounts for good drivers, good students, and those with multiple vehicles.
- Bundling: Another way to save money on insurance is by bundling multiple types of insurance policies. That means that if you currently have another type of insurance, such as renters or homeowners, with a specific provider, it may be cheaper to get car insurance through that company as well.
- Increasing your deductible: A lower deductible is preferable for many drivers, but if you’re looking to get cheap car insurance rates, one thing you can do is increase your deductible. A higher deductible usually means a lower premium. Just keep in mind that you will actually have to pay that deductible if you need to submit an at-fault claim.
- Improve your credit score: Your credit score informs your insurance score, which is how your insurance provider determines risk. Because drivers with poor credit tend to file more claims than drivers with high credit, improving your credit score can help you save money on car insurance.
What If I Can’t Afford The New York Minimum Insurance?
Car insurance is required for all drivers in New York. If you’re caught driving without proof of insurance, you could face serious penalties like:
- Fines ranging from $150 to $1,500
- Vehicle impoundment
- Up to 15 days in jail
- Revoked license and registration
- $750 fee to get your license and registration reinstated
In addition, if your car is uninsured for more than 91 days, or if you are caught without insurance more than once in three years, your license and registration could be revoked without the option to pay to get them back. Instead, you would have to wait until the suspension period is over to get your license and registration back from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
Our Recommendations For Car Insurance Quotes In NY
When you’re looking for cheap insurance, we recommend getting New York car insurance quotes from several providers to compare the coverage and total cost to find the policy that’s right for you. Learn more about our top recommended insurers for NY drivers in our New York car insurance article.
|Best New York Car Insurance||Motor1 Rating||Customer Service||Affordability||Coverage|
*You may notice that some car insurance companies are listed above those with higher star ratings. This is because our ratings take into account nationwide factors, while our ranking for this article looks specifically at what insurance providers are best for car insurance in New York.
Our Top Choice Of New York Car Insurance: Geico Insurance
We reviewed Geico car insurance and found that the company is a good option for students. Geico has a good reputation among auto industry professionals with an A++ (Superior) financial strength rating from AM Best and an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB). When rating auto insurance companies, the BBB takes into account customer complaints and the business’s transparency, among other factors.
In addition to standard coverage, Geico offers policyholders several add-on coverage options, such as roadside assistance, rental car reimbursement, and mechanical breakdown insurance.
To start shopping for the best car insurance rates, enter your zip code in the tool below or call (844) 246-8209 to collect and compare New York car insurance quotes from providers available in your state, including USAA and Geico insurance quotes:
Read our other insurance articles: