Let’s answer all of your questions about New Jersey car insurance quotes.
While searching for affordable car insurance can be difficult, our review team helps you understand New Jersey car insurance quotes by taking a closer look at the cost of New Jersey auto insurance, the state minimum car insurance requirements, and more to answer your questions about insurance in the Garden State.
While finding the right car insurance may be difficult, getting a free New Jersey auto insurance quote isn't. Whether you are shopping for new car insurance or looking to switch providers, we recommend getting quotes from several different insurers and comparing them to be sure you’re getting car insurance coverage for the best possible price.
In this article:
- New Jersey Car Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Factors That Affect Your New Jersey Car Insurance Quotes
- How Much Is Car Insurance Per Month In New Jersey?
- How To Get Cheap Liability Coverage In New Jersey
- What If I Can’t Afford The Minimum Insurance In NJ?
- Our Recommendations For NJ Car Insurance Quotes
New Jersey Car Insurance Minimum Requirements
Every state has different minimum requirements when it comes to car insurance. New Jersey is a 15/30/5 state, which means every driver needs:
- $15,000 in bodily injury liability per person
- $30,000 in bodily injury liability per accident
- $5,000 in property damage liability
New Jersey also requires that motorists carry personal injury protection (PIP) insurance and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM). Drivers in NJ need at least the following amounts:
- $15,000 in PIP coverage per person
- $5,000 in UM/UIM
When you reach out for auto insurance quotes in NJ, you will see other standard types of car insurance including collision, comprehensive, and medical payments, as well as a few extras like roadside assistance and gap insurance. These coverages are not required by law but can be very valuable to have.
New Jersey is a no-fault state, meaning that your own insurance company covers your medical expenses regardless of which party caused the collision. This also limits your right to sue in certain situations.
Factors That Affect Your New Jersey Car Insurance Quotes
The cost of car insurance depends on your personal information, vehicle information, and more. Auto insurance rates in New Jersey are calculated based on the following:
- Demographic factors including your age, gender, and marital status
- Motor vehicle make, model, and year
- Vehicle mileage
- Your driving record
- Number of claims you’ve filed in the past
- The location where you park your car
- Credit-based insurance score
- And more
How Much Is Car Insurance Per Month In New Jersey?
Unfortunately for New Jersey drivers, the state is one of the most expensive for auto insurance. According to the NAIC, the cost of New Jersey car insurance was $1,350.28 in 2017, while the national average was $1,004.68. That breaks down to about $112.52 per month.
Here’s a breakdown of the coverage costs that year based on data from the Insurance Information Institute:
|Type of Coverage||Average Annual Expenditure in 2017|
*To calculate average expenditures, NAIC assumed that all insured vehicles would carry liability insurance but not necessarily collision or comprehensive. Total cost per year measures what consumers actually spent.
Keep in mind that some drivers purchased only the state minimum coverage, while others opted for full coverage.
How To Get Cheap Liability Coverage In New Jersey
It's hard to find cheap car insurance in New Jersey due to the state’s population density, among other factors. Here are a few tips to save when you’re searching for New Jersey car insurance quotes.
- Ask about discounts: While discount opportunities differ from provider to provider, some common discount opportunities include good driver discounts, good student discounts, bundling discounts, and multiple vehicle discounts.
- Increase your deductible: A higher deductible usually means a lower insurance premium. This is an easy way to save money on your liability coverage, but keep in mind that you will need to pay that deductible if you ever cause an auto accident.
- Improve your credit score: Data from the Federal Trade Commission suggests that drivers with low credit tend to file more claims than drivers with a high credit history. Because of this, many auto insurance companies take their customers’ credit scores into consideration when determining the cost of premiums.
Enter your zip code in the form below or call (844) 246-8209 to find the cheapest car insurance rates in your area.
What If I Can’t Afford The Minimum Insurance In NJ?
Insurance is required for all motorists in the state of New Jersey. If a motorist is caught driving without insurance, they could face serious repercussions. NJ takes has some of the toughest penalties for motorists driving without insurance, including:
|First Offense||Second and Subsequent Offenses|
$300–$1,000 in fines with $250 surcharge assessment over three years
$500–$5,000 in fines with $250 surcharge assessment over three years
Driver’s license suspension for one year
Driver’s license suspension for two years with reinstatement up to the DMV director
Community service for an amount of time determined by the court
Up to 180 hours of community service
Possible vehicle impoundment if proof of insurance is not present within 24 hours of citation
Possible vehicle impoundment if proof of insurance is not presented within 24 hours of citation
|Up to 14 days in jail|
Our Recommendations For NJ Car Insurance Quotes
When shopping around for the cheapest New Jersey car insurance quotes, it’s smart to get quotes from more than one provider. Here are our top choices for New Jersey. learn more about each provider in our best New Jersey car insurance article.
|Best New Jersey Car Insurance||Motor1 Rating||Customer Service||Affordability||Coverage|
*You may notice that some car insurance companies are listed above those with higher star ratings. This is because our ratings take into account nationwide factors, while our ranking for this article looks specifically at what insurance providers are best for car insurance in New Jersey.
Our Top Choice For New Jersey Car Insurance: USAA
In our USAA insurance review, we found that USAA is a great insurance provider option for military personnel and their families. With an AM Best financial strength rating of A++ (Superior) and a 900 out of a possible 1,000 rating on JD Power’s 2019 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study, USAA has a strong reputation in the auto insurance industry and great customer reviews. USAA also ranked highly across the board in the 2020 U.S. Auto Insurance Study.
USAA offers auto insurance coverage in all 50 states and has various discounts for New Jersey drivers.
While USAA is the top provider in the state, we recommend getting a quote from each insurer and comparing auto insurance policies. Enter your zip code in our tool below or call (844) 246-8209 to start comparing personalized car insurance quotes:
Read our other insurance articles:
- Best Maine Auto Insurance
- Best Chicago Car Insurance
- Best Rhode Island Car Insurance
- Best Pennsylvania Car Insurance
- Best Indiana Car Insurance
- Florida Car Insurance Quotes
- Ohio Car Insurance Quotes
- Massachusetts Car Insurance Quotes
- Car Insurance Quotes: New York