Acuity Insurance is a regional insurance company that strives to take the stress out of auto insurance and help families successfully deal with risk. The provider is the 57th largest insurance provider in the United States and has high customer satisfaction ratings.
When shopping for car insurance, it’s important to compare several different providers to find the one that’s right for you. To help narrow down your options, we’ve reviewed the nation's best car insurance companies, evaluating them based on coverage, customer service, availability, cost, financial strength, and technology.
In this article, we’ll take a look at Acuity auto insurance, including what motorists can expect, what coverage options are available, how filing a claim works, and more. With this information, you can make an informed decision about your auto insurance coverage.
Insert your zip code into the easy tool below or call (844) 246-8209 to start comparing free car insurance quotes:
In this article:
- Acuity Insurance Overview
- Acuity Auto Insurance Coverage
- Acuity Insurance Cost And Discounts
- Acuity Insurance Reviews
- Our Verdict On Acuity Car Insurance
- Other Car Insurance Providers To Consider
Acuity Insurance Overview
Acuity Insurance has been operating for just under a century. It was formed in 1925 under the name Mutual Auto Insurance Company of the Town of Herman. In 1999, the company renamed itself Acuity Insurance and entered its modern incarnation. In addition to car insurance, Acuity also offers home, business, and motorcycle insurance. In this guide, however, we’ll only be looking at auto insurance.
Acuity auto insurance stands out for its unique discount offerings and add-on coverage options. With its good student discount and roadside assistance coverage, Acuity focuses on teens and is known to be easy to get in contact with or communicate with when needed.
On the other hand, Acuity auto insurance is only available in 22 states and has a weaker financial strength rating than other competitors in the industry. While Acuity has obtained a financial strength rating of A+ by A.M. Best, competitors have been rated A++, the highest rating possible.
Acuity Auto Insurance Coverage
Acuity offers six standard insurance coverage options:
- Liability auto insurance
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance
- Collision insurance
- Comprehensive car insurance
- Personal injury protection
- Medical payments insurance
These six types of car insurance are standard. However, Acuity also has several additional coverage options to choose from. These include:
- Vehicle replacement coverage: If your car is totaled by anything but fire or theft, Acuity will pay to replace your car with a brand new model.
- Full safety glass: This reduces your deductible to $0 if your windows need to be repaired or replaced.
- Towing and labor: This coverage pays for towing if your vehicle breaks down.
- Personal auto enhancements: This package provides a smorgasbord of different coverages ranging from key and lock replacement coverage to rental car coverage to veterinary expense coverage if your pet is injured in a crash.
- Guaranteed asset protection (GAP) coverage: If your vehicle is totaled and you owe more on it than your standard policy will cover, this coverage will help pay the difference.
- Temporary transportation expenses: If you’re unable to use your vehicle, Acuity will pay for Uber, Lyft, taxis, or other transportation you might need to get around.
Acuity Insurance Cost And Discounts
The cost of car insurance is influenced by factors such as your age, location, vehicle, and driving record. Therefore, the quote you receive might not be the same as your neighbor's. We recommend getting a quote from Acuity to get an accurate number and to see which discounts you qualify for.
To compare your Acuity quote to quotes from other insurance providers, call our team at (844) 246-8209 or use the free tool below:
Acuity Car Insurance Reviews
Acuity car insurance has outstanding reviews on most consumer websites. It holds an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and a customer score of 4.39 out of 5 stars. This is much higher than most other providers we've seen.
On Trustpilot, Acuity has a 4.5 out of 5.0-star rating based on over 1,000 reviews.
Positive Acuity Insurance Reviews
“Best insurance company around. We had others, and there is no comparison in pricing, service, and loyalty to their customers.”
-Maricel Rivera via Trustpilot
“Service is outstanding. [Acuity's service representatives] are the best. Claims are processed quickly and professionally.”
-Diane via BBB
Negative Acuity Insurance Reviews
“Acuity is a great company. Only complaint I have is that I have been with them since 1987 and this year they decided to re-underwrite our policy. My home insurance went up over $100 per year and they stated it was because of my credit score... I was not happy and still am not happy.”
-Policyholder via Trustpilot
“Purchased roadside assistance on my current policy. Called to use it and was told it’s after business hours; they are not able to verify coverage so I could pay out of pocket and submit the receipt for reimbursement. What is the point to have coverage if you cannot use it when you actually need it?”
-Leah N via BBB
Our Verdict On Acuity Car Insurance
If good customer service is your priority, Acuity car insurance is a fantastic choice – it has some of the best customer satisfaction of any company we’ve reviewed. Plus, its insurance options should leave you with all of your bases covered, which is not the case with every company we’ve looked into. Overall, it’s a great choice if you live in one of the states it serves.
Good range of discounts
Imperfect financial strength
|Focus on teens||
|Easy to contact||
Other Car Insurance Providers To Consider
While Acuity Auto Insurance is a great choice, it’s always a good idea to shop around and consider multiple options to make sure you’re getting the best deal. Here are two other providers that may be of interest to you.
Geico: Best Overall
We ranked Geico as the best overall insurance provider in our industry-wide review. Geico is immensely popular and has a great reputation throughout the U.S., largely due to its enjoyable marketing campaigns. However, Geico has more to be proud of than its friendly gecko. Indeed, Geico received the top financial strength rating, A++, from AM Best, which indicates that it should have no problem fulfilling your claims.
According to our research, Geico has the third-cheapest average annual insurance premiums in the U.S. after USAA and State Farm. However, in some states, Geico is the cheapest provider bar none, so make sure you get a quote from each to see how they compare in your state.
You can read more in our full Geico auto insurance review.
State Farm: Best For Students
State Farm is the largest auto insurance provider in the U.S. and has the lowest average annual premiums in the country. Like Geico, State Farm holds an A++ financial strength rating from AM Best.
State Farm stands out when it comes to discounts. The provider offers a good range of discounts including student discounts, multi-vehicle discounts, and more, all of which can help keep your premium affordable.
Learn more in our State Farm insurance review, and to start getting free, personalized insurance quotes from State Farm, Geico, and other top providers, enter your zip code below or call (844) 246-8209.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read our other insurance articles: