Below, we take a close look at Ameriprise Auto and Home Insurance, which is now known as Connect. We’ll go over Ameriprise insurance reviews, coverage, rates, customer service, reputation, and more to help you on your quest for cheap car insurance.
Everyone’s on the hunt for low-cost car insurance. With so many options to choose from, it can be difficult to figure out which insurance companies fit your needs. To simplify your search, we’ve reviewed the best car insurance providers in the U.S. and laid out everything you need to know about these providers to make an informed decision about your insurance coverage.
Fill out the short form above or call (844) 246-8209 to start comparing free quotes from providers in your area.
In this article:
- Ameriprise Auto And Home Insurance Overview
- Ameriprise Car Insurance Coverage
- Ameriprise Car Insurance Cost And Discounts
- Ameriprise Insurance Reviews
- Ameriprise Auto Insurance Rating: 3.5 Stars
- Best Car Insurance Companies
- FAQ About Ameriprise Auto Insurance
Ameriprise Auto And Home Insurance Overview
Ameriprise Auto and Home Insurance is an insurance provider that focuses on the customer experience. In the company’s own words, they are “insurance—handled with care.” Parent company Ameriprise Financial was founded in 1894, and is now a publicly traded company on the New York Stock Exchange.
Ameriprise’s standout feature is that it offers discount insurance rates to Costco members—some refer to it as Costco Ameriprise insurance. The company is now known as Connect and is part of American Family Auto Insurance.
The company has a strong overall industry reputation, with an A financial strength rating from AM Best and an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
Ameriprise Car Insurance Coverage
Ameriprise Auto and Home Insurance offers standard car insurance coverage options, including:
- Bodily injury insurance
- Property damage insurance
- Collision coverage
- Comprehensive car insurance
- Medical expense insurance
- Personal injury protection insurance
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage
You can learn more about the six different types of car insurance in our review. In addition to these options, motorists can purchase:
- Rental reimbursement coverage: Pays for your rental vehicle while your vehicle is in the shop for covered repairs.
- Roadside assistance and towing coverage: Pays to tow your vehicle to the nearest repair facility as well as the cost for other services such as spare tire change, fluid delivery, and winching.
- Gap insurance: In the event of a total loss claim, Gap coverage pays the difference between your vehicles actual cash value and the amount you may still owe in car payments.
While Ameriprise doesn’t offer any particularly unique coverage options, like pet injury insurance, it does offer the most common and important types of coverage that will suit most motorist's needs.
Ameriprise Car Insurance Cost And Discounts
Ameriprise offers a solid selection of discounts. While most of these discounts are standard offerings, the Garaging Discount and Education Discount aren’t as common.
|Good driver discount||rewards safe drivers but is only available in California|
|Premier safety discount||rewards drivers who've had spotless records for the past four years|
|Defensive driver discount||for drivers who complete a state-certified defensive driver course|
|Vehicle safety feature discount||available for vehicles that have safety features like airbags, anti-lock brakes, and automatic seatbelts|
|Garaging discount||rewards drivers who part their vehicles in garages|
|Good student discount||offered to students who receive high marks in school|
|Education discount||for drivers who complete at least four years of post-high school education|
|Multi-car discount||rewards drivers who insure multiple cars with Ameripirse|
|Multi-product discount||available to customers who have a combination of Ameriprise home, auto, and umbrella insurance|
|Tenure discount||lower rates for long-standing Ameriprise customers|
|Student away discount||lower rate for student drivers that live more than 100 miles away and only drive when home|
To determine the exact cost of an Ameriprise car insurance policy for your vehicle, you will need to contact the company for a personalized quote. Many factors impact car insurance cost such as driver age, marital status, city, driving record, and more.
Ameriprise Insurance Reviews
Based on Ameriprise auto insurance reviews, Ameriprise offers average customer service. The provider has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, but only a one-star customer rating. While this sounds bad, almost every insurance company we’ve reviewed has similar ratings.
Here’s some examples of Ameriprise Insurance reviews:
“The claims representative especially was very friendly and gave me great advice to keep my mind at ease... I initially chose Ameriprise for their low premiums. But so far I have received better service than any other insurance companies I've been with.”
- Brian C. via BBB
“We have been with Ameriprise Costco for many years, both auto and home insurance. The premium of the auto has been up and down over the years but no big changes, which is why we kept it. Well, I just received a bill for the next six [months], and the premium is going up 30 percent.”
-Liu D. via BBB
Ameriprise Auto Insurance Rating: 3.5 Stars
Ameriprise offers a good variety of discounts and substantial coverage for your vehicle. If you are a safe driver, you can likely get a reasonable rate and good coverage through Ameriprise’s car insurance, but high-risk drivers may want to look elsewhere. Overall, we rate the company 3.5 stars out of 5.0. It is a reliable company but other providers may offer lower rates and better coverage.
|Long-standing company with an A rating from AM Best||High rates for drivers with poor driving records|
|Emphasis on customer experience with a high satisfaction rate|
|Discounted rates for Costco members|
Best Car Insurance Companies
When shopping for auto insurance, it’s always a good idea to compare multiple providers. Here are two providers we highly recommend.
USAA Insurance: 4.8 Stars
Out of all the insurance companies we've reviewed, USAA came out on top. The provider has the lowest average rates across the nation, superb customer service, and a long-standing reputation. However, it only serves military members, veterans, and their families, so if you don’t fit into one of those categories, you’ll need to look elsewhere.
We rated USAA 4.8 out of 5.0 stars and named it the Best for Military in 2021. Its comprehensive car insurance coverage, nationwide availability, positive USAA auto insurance reviews, and A++ rating from AM Best make it a smart choice for eligible/most drivers.
- Reputation And Trustworthiness: USAA has been in business since 1922. Since then, it has built a strong reputation as one of America’s leading insurance providers. With the highest possible financial strength rating (A++) from AM Best, you can be sure USAA is a company worth trusting.
- Coverage: USAA offers standard coverage options as well as rental car reimbursement, roadside assistance, and accident forgiveness.
- Customer Service: USAA has superb customer service. In J.D. Power’s 2019 Auto Claims Satisfaction Survey, USAA scored the highest possible mark of 5/5. Most other insurers scored 3/5.
- Cost: USAA is significantly cheaper than most other insurance providers. According to our research, USAA offers the lowest average annual premium in the nation.
Our Verdict: If you are looking for the best auto insurance for veterans, military members, or family, USAA offers outstanding coverage for a very affordable price. This should be at the top of the list for anyone affiliated with the U.S. military.
Geico Insurance: 4.6 Stars
If you’re not eligible for coverage under USAA, but still want affordable coverage, Geico car insurance might fit your needs nicely. In our Geico auto insurance review, we awarded the company 4.6 out of 5.0 stars and named it the Best Overall Provider in 2021.
- Reputation And Trustworthiness: Geico is one of the most respected names in auto insurance. Like USAA, Geico has an A++ rating from AM Best. It is also the second-largest auto insurance provider by market share, so you can rest assured that millions of motorists trust Geico.
- Coverage: Geico offers all standard insurance coverages as well as roadside assistance, mechanical breakdown coverage, and rental reimbursement.
- Customer Satisfaction: Customers generally tend to be satisfied with Geico. That said, the company’s customer service seems to be just about average. The company received fewer than the median number of complaints for a company its size in 2019 according to the NAIC, and it scored a 3/5 on the 2019 J.D. Power Auto Claims Satisfaction Survey.
- Cost: While it’s more expensive on average than USAA, Geico could be your next-best option. To see how Geico compares to your other options, make sure you get a quote.
Our Verdict: Geico is the best provider for anyone who isn’t eligible for USAA insurance. It provides reasonable rates, good coverage, and good customer service, and it also has a convenient mobile app that makes managing your policy easy.
Get Free Quotes
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read our other insurance articles:
- Mountain West Farm Bureau Review
- Amco Auto Insurance Review
- Charter Oak Insurance Review
- Trumbull Insurance Company Review
- Baja Auto Insurance Review
- Oxford Auto Insurance Review
- Franklin Insurance Insurance Review
- Cure Auto Insurance Review
- Wade Auto Insurance Review
- Medicaid Car Insurance Review
- Advanced Auto Insurance Review
- Mercer Auto Insurance Review