To make shopping for car insurance a little easier for you, we've researched over 30 of the best car insurance companies, ranking them based on factors such as financial strength, customer service, affordability, and coverage. In this article, we will evaluate Shelter Mutual Insurance against these providers and so you can decide if this company is right for you.
To see if Shelter Mutual Insurance is available in your state and get a free quote, enter your zip code into the form below.
In this article:
- Shelter Mutual Insurance Overview
- Shelter Mutual Insurance Coverage
- Shelter Mutual Cost And Discounts
- Shelter Mutual Technology
- Shelter Mutual Insurance Reviews
- Our Take On Shelter Mutual Insurance: 4.0 Stars
- Top Recommendations For Auto Insurance
Shelter Mutual Insurance Overview
Shelter Insurance has been in business for over 70 years and is headquartered in Columbia, Missouri. While the privately held company initially offered auto insurance only for residents of Missouri, it’s now a leading insurance provider for home, auto, life, farm, and business in 15 states:
In 2018, Shelter Insurance wrote private passenger auto premiums worth more than $980 million.
Shelter Mutual Insurance Coverage
Shelter Mutual Insurance provides several coverage options for car insurance buyers. Your basic Shelter Insurance auto policy will include bodily injury liability, property damage liability, roadside assistance, and new car replacement coverage. You can also buy policy add-ons such as collision coverage, comprehensive coverage, medical payments coverage, rental reimbursement, and accidental death.
Here's what each type of insurance covers:
- Bodily injury liability coverage: Covers the other party's medical bills after an accident where you’re at fault
- Property damage liability: Covers the other party's repair bills after an accident where you’re at fault
- 24-hour roadside assistance: Pays up to $100 per incident for services such as battery jump-starts and towing (provided by Road America for all Shelter Insurance customers)
- New car replacement: Helps you replace your new vehicle for a car of the same make, model, and year if you total it within one year/15,000 miles of original purchase
The following are coverages you can add to your policy:
- Medical payments coverage (MedPay): Reimburses funeral and medical expenses due to auto injuries for yourself and your passengers
- Uninsured motorist coverage: Offers benefits in the case of bodily injury and property damage caused by an uninsured motorist after an accident
- Comprehensive car insurance: Pays for damages to your vehicle due to natural causes like storms and earthquakes, as well as fire, theft, vandalism, and more
- Collision coverage: Pays to repair damage to your own vehicle after an accident
- Personal injury protection: Covers medical expenses, loss of income, and other injury-related expenses
- Accidental death coverage: Provides benefits if you or your spouse dies in an auto accident
- Guaranteed asset protection (GAP) coverage: Helps cover the amount you owe on your auto loan if your car is totaled in an accident
- Rental reimbursement: Covers alternative transportation if your car is stolen or in the repair shop after an accident
- Disability income coverage: Pays you a weekly stipend (up to one year) if you are unable to return to work because of your injuries from a car accident
- Loss of use: Gives you a one-time payment if your car is in the shop after an accident
Shelter Mutual Cost And Discounts
Our rate estimates indicate that Shelter Mutual Insurance costs an average of $1,487 in Arkansas, $1,865 in Kentucky, and $2,039 in Missouri for 35-year-old drivers with good driving records and good credit scores.
The cost of your Shelter Mutual Insurance policy will depend on a number of factors, such as your age, driving history, credit score, location, marital status, and more. Car insurance rates are highly personalized, so the only way to know how much a provider's coverage would cost is to get a free quote.
Like with most other auto insurance providers, Shelter Insurance offers multiple discounts for auto insurance, such as:
- Good student discounts
- Military discounts
- Safe driver discounts
- Multiple car discounts
- Pay-in-full discounts
- Accident prevention course discounts
- Driver’s education course discounts
- Air bag and seat belt discounts
You may also be able to save money on your Shelter Mutual car insurance policy if you have additional types of policies with the company, such as if you bundle your home and auto insurance.
Shelter Mutual Technology
Shelter Mutual has a user-friendly website through which potential customers can get free quotes by submitting the required information about themselves, their vehicle, and their driving habits.
Existing Shelter Mutual Insurance customers can use their Shelter Insurance accounts to pay bills and access their policies and other information on the website.
Shelter Insurance also has a mobile app that allows you to pay bills, access your insurance ID card, file claims, view your policy details, or find an agent.
To file a claim with Shelter Mutual Insurance, go to the company website or call. If you want to cancel a Shelter Insurance policy, we recommend calling the company or talking to your agent rather than using the app or website.
Shelter Mutual Insurance Reviews
Shelter Mutual Insurance has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), though it’s not accredited. Companies are not obligated to get BBB accreditation, but it shows potential customers that the company is willing to make good faith efforts to resolve any concerns.
Our research revealed that over 40 customer complaints were filed with the BBB against Shelter Insurance in the past 3 years, most of which describe issues with billing or service. The company has responded to each complaint and closed about half of them in the last 12 months. In cases where the problem was caused by a company or agency error, Shelter Mutual Insurance has been willing to admit its mistakes and take quick action to find a solution.
Our Take On Shelter Mutual Insurance: 4.0 Stars
Overall, we rate Shelter Mutual Insurance 4.0 out of 5.0 stars. It is a good provider for an auto insurance policy if you live in the central or southern U.S. In fact, it was ranked the third-best auto insurance provider in the central region in the J.D. Power 2020 U.S. Auto Insurance Satisfaction StudyTM, which looks into factors like customer interactions and the billing process. However, since its areas of services are limited to midwestern and southern regions, you will have to look elsewhere if you live in a state not serviced by Shelter Insurance.
Top Recommendations For Auto Insurance
If you would like to look at other insurance providers before making your decision, we recommend Geico, USAA, and Progressive. Each of these companies scored well in our independent reviews, are known for their extensive coverage options and customer service, and offer many discounts.
Whenever you shop for car insurance, it's smart to get quotes from multiple providers so you can compare coverage and rates. In addition to the insurance company you choose, factors such as your age, vehicle make and model, and driving history can affect your premium, so what’s best for your neighbor might not be best for you.
Use our tool below to start comparing personalized car insurance quotes for providers available in your state:
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews auto insurance rate estimates generated by Quadrant Information Services for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
More On Insurance:
Read our other insurance articles: