Shopping around can save you money on Massachusetts auto insurance.
Whether you’re driving into town to see the Boston Red Sox play or you’re heading off to work, you want to have the best car insurance in Massachusetts. So, which is the best provider?
We've reviewed over two dozen of the best car insurance providers in the industry and ranked them on things like customer service, price, availability, and financial strength. Geico emerged as one of our top providers overall, and it’s also our top recommendation for Massachusetts car insurance.
To get the best car insurance rates in Massachusetts, start by getting matched to the best value providers. Enter your zip code in the tool below to get started:
In this article:
- Cheapest Car Insurance In Massachusetts
- 5 Best Massachusetts Car Insurance Companies
- Requirements For Car Insurance: Massachusetts
- What To Know About Driving In Massachusetts
- How To Get Cheap Car Insurance In Massachusetts
- Final Thoughts
- FAQ: Auto Insurance In Massachusetts
Cheapest Car Insurance In Massachusetts
According to our rate estimates, Geico is the cheapest option in Massachusetts with an average annual cost of $1,589 for full coverage. After that, USAA, Plymouth Rock, and Arbella Insurance are affordable options.
|Car Insurance Provider||Average Annual Cost Estimate|
|Plymouth Rock Insurance||$1,960|
What Is The Average Cost Of Car Insurance In Massachusetts?
According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), Massachusetts car insurance rates in 2018 averaged $1,167 per year, which was slightly higher than the national average of $1,057.
Overall, Massachusetts ended up being the 13th most extensive state for car insurance in the U.S. Here’s a breakdown of the coverage costs for car insurance in Massachusetts that year according to the Insurance Information Institute:
|Type Of Coverage||Average Annual Expenditure in 2018|
*Most drivers carry liability coverage but not necessarily other types of auto insurance. Total average annual expenditure measures what Massachusetts drivers actually spent on auto insurance in 2018.
Annual Massachusetts Car Insurance Estimates By Gender
Gender doesn't affect rates for car insurance in Massachusetts as it can in some other states.
|Gender||Massachusetts Annual Car Insurance|
Annual Massachusetts Car Insurance Estimates For Drivers With Bad Credit
Massachusetts is one of three states that does not allow insurance companies to use your credit report in setting rates. So, rates stay constant whether you have a good score or a poor score.
|Credit Rating||Massachusetts Annual Car Insurance|
Annual Massachusetts Car Insurance Estimates For Bad Drivers
While gender and credit score won't affect your rates for car insurance in Massachusetts, your driving record sure will. According to our rate estimates, a speeding ticket can raise your rate by 24 percent. Similarly, an accident can raise it by 62 percent and a DUI by 81 percent.
|Driving Record||Massachusetts Annual Car Insurance|
Factors That Affect Massachusetts Car Insurance Quotes
The cost of your car insurance premium in Massachusetts depends on a number of factors, including:
- Information about the insured vehicle (make, model, and year)
- Number of miles you drive annually
- Your driving record
- Personal factors such as your age, gender, and marital status
- How long you’ve been driving
- Your exact location
Massachusetts is one of three states, along with Hawaii and Michigan, that prohibits insurance companies from using credit scores when determining insurance rates. Additionally, this law also applies to home insurance rates.
5 Best Massachusetts Car Insurance Companies
To find the best car insurance in Massachusetts, we went through our list of top car insurance providers and re-examined all companies in light of Massachusetts state laws and guidelines. The providers we chose were rated on these factors:
- Customer service
These companies stood out as the best in Massachusetts.
|Best Massachusetts Car Insurance||Motor1 Rating||Average Annual Cost|
*You may notice that some car insurance companies are listed above those with higher star ratings. This is because our ratings take into account nationwide factors, while our ranking for this article looks specifically at what insurance providers are best for car insurance in Massachusetts.
#1 Geico: Cheapest Car Insurance In Massachusetts
We found Geico offers some of the best car insurance prices in M.A. Many drivers find affordable quotes through Geico that are below the state average – plus, the company has a number of discounts that you might qualify for. Some of Geico’s car insurance discounts include:
- Federal employee discount
- Military discount
- Multi-policy and multi-vehicle discounts
- Good student discount
- Good driver discount
- Defensive driver discount
Geico has a financial strength rating of A++ from AM Best. That means the company has a superior ability to meet its insurance obligations and fulfill claims. Geico was rated highly on the J.D. Power 2021 U.S. Auto Insurance StudySM. The company received 841 out of 1,000 points for the New England region and ranked in fourth place.
|Superior financial strength rating and A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB)||Average quotes experience|
|Many choices for coverage||Usage-based app not available in Massachusetts|
|High level of customer satisfaction|
|Available in 50 states|
To learn more about the car insurance provider, check out our full Geico auto insurance review.
#2 USAA Insurance: Runner-Up For Massachusetts
In addition to Geico, you might want to check out USAA while shopping for car insurance in Massachusetts. You can qualify by being a military member or having a close family member who is. Discounts from USAA include:
- Safe driver
- Driver training
- Good student
- New vehicle
- Vehicle storage
- Military installation
In addition to offering a good range of coverage options and discounts, USAA has high marks for its customer service. It performed very well on J.D. Power industry studies including the 2020 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction StudySM, the 2021 U.S. Auto Insurance StudySM, and the 2021 U.S. Insurance Shopping StudySM.
USAA offers helpful tools for military members, including checklists and calculators for different aspects of military life. On top of that, it's also one of the most affordable options in Massachusetts. Learn more in our USAA car insurance review.
|Cheap option in Massachusetts||
Not available to everyone
|Superior financial strength rating and A rating from the BBB||
Usage-based insurance not available in Massachusetts
|High-rated customer service||
#3 Progressive Auto Insurance
Progressive provides comprehensive coverage and impressive discounts, and the provider has top ratings from industry experts like the BBB.
Progressive also provides the best car insurance for high-risk drivers in Massachusetts due to the high number of discounts available that can make finding more affordable coverage easier. Some of Progressive’s discounts include:
- Snapshot® program: This usage-based savings program monitors safe driving habits you practice every day and could qualify you for savings.
- Name Your Price® tool: Tell Progressive’s online quote tool the price you want to pay, and get matched with auto insurance plans that don’t break your budget.
- Deductible savings bank: For every six months you go without an accident, traffic violation, or other auto-related legal offense, get $50 toward your next deductible.
- Bundling: If you own a Progressive insurance policy for your home, boat, ATV, RV, or motorcycle, bundle it with your auto plan to receive a discount.
Progressive also offers an impressive, two-tier accident forgiveness program, which makes this type of coverage especially beneficial for high-risk drivers with little driving experience:
- Small accident forgiveness: Forgives accidents that result in less than $500 of damage
- Large accident forgiveness: Forgives accidents for customers who have been with Progressive for five years
To learn more about coverage, read our in-depth Progressive auto insurance review.
|One of the top auto insurers in the United States||Average claims process|
|Superior financial strength rating and A+ rating from the BBB||Mixed customer service reviews|
|Great choice for high-risk drivers||Higher rates than some competitors|
|Easy quotes process|
#4 Travelers Auto Insurance
Travelers is generally the best car insurance in Massachusetts for new drivers due to the discounts available to this group and its high reliability ratings. It has an A+ from the BBB and an A+ financial strength rating from AM Best.
With Travelers, you can get standard car insurance coverage and some extras such as:
- New car replacement: If you get a new car and total it within five years of purchase, Travelers will replace it with a brand new car of the same make and model.
- Responsible Driver Plan®: Travelers will forgive one accident and one minor traffic violation every three years you go accident- and ticket-free.
- Premier Responsible Driver Plan®: Upgrade the regular plan to Premier to receive an additional $50 credit (up to $500) toward your deductible for every six months you go without an accident or major traffic violation.
Read our complete Travelers auto insurance review to find out more about coverage.
|Excellent financial strength rating and A+ rating from the BBB||Expensive coverage|
|New driver discounts and long new car replacement coverage||Mixed customer service reviews|
|Available in 50 states|
|Fairly easy quote process|
#5 MetLife Auto Insurance
MetLife is known for its local agents and variety of insurance coverages. Along with the standard types of car insurance in Massachusetts, you can get extras like:
- Rental car reimbursement: If your car needs to stay in the shop overnight or longer for a covered repair, your rental car expenses will be reimbursed.
- Towing and roadside assistance: When your car is disabled, receive assistance wherever you break down with towing or other mechanical first aid.
- Parts replacement: MetLife will cover the cost of replacing certain parts of your vehicle when damaged due to wear and tear.
- New car replacement: If your new car is totaled before 15,000 miles or the first year, MetLife will pay the entire cost without depreciation.
- Custom sound equipment coverage: Most car insurance policies don’t cover aftermarket-installed accessories like a sound system, but MetLife does for customers who purchase this coverage.
See what else the provider has to offer in our full MetLife auto insurance review.
|Specialty coverage, unique add-ons, and high number of discounts||Negative customer reviews regarding claims process|
|Superior financial strength rating|
|Local agents available|
You can compare quotes from several insurance companies and see how these factors will affect them by using the tool below:
Requirements For Car Insurance: Massachusetts
Here’s what you need to satisfy Massachusetts car insurance requirements:
- $20,000 bodily injury liability per person: This covers medical bills for other people in accidents you cause, up to $20,000 per person.
- $40,000 bodily injury liability per accident: The state minimum requires that your coverage pays a maximum of $40,000 total for bodily injury per accident.
- $20,000 per person/$40,000 per accident uninsured motorist (UM): This coverage pays medical bills for you and your passengers in accidents caused by an uninsured motorist. Massachusetts requires the same limits for UM as it does for bodily injury liability coverage.
- $5,000 property damage: This covers damage to other cars in accidents that you cause. $5,000 is the lowest amount that any state requires.
- $8,000 personal injury protection (PIP): This covers your own medical bills up to $8,000 depending on the deductible you select. If you have private health insurance, your health insurance will be the primary coverage for medical bills exceeding $2,000. PIP also covers up to 75 percent of lost wages.
Massachusetts Is A No-Fault State
In the Bay State, you are required to seek medical compensation under your own coverage no matter who caused an accident. Personal injury protection and medical payments are the two types of coverage that compensate you in this situation. A no-fault injury claim is also called a first-party claim, and it only allows you to seek compensation for bodily injury expenses, not pain and suffering.
With Massachusetts auto insurance, you can file a personal injury claim against the at-fault driver if you have more than $2,000 in medical bills or have suffered permanent disfigurement or serious injury. This is called a third-party claim, and the other driver’s bodily injury coverage would compensate you if you won the claim. If you file a third-party injury claim, you can seek compensation for pain and suffering as well.
What If You Drive Without Insurance In Massachusetts?
Motorists caught driving without insurance in Massachusetts could face serious penalties, such as:
- Fines between $500 and $5,000
- Up to 1 year in jail
- Suspension of driver’s license, registration, and plates for up to 60 days
Once drivers have proof of insurance, they must pay a reinstatement fee and file the proper paperwork to have their driving privileges reinstated.
What To Know About Driving In Massachusetts
According to the Massachusetts 2018 Highway Safety Report, 82 percent of drivers surveyed said they used their seatbelt, which was the highest percentage on record for the state. However, many people still find it hard to put down their phones while behind the wheel. In April of 2018, Massachusetts enacted a Distracted Driving Mobilization effort with law enforcement – it led to 1,831 stops, 13 percent of which resulted in a ticket for texting and driving. Accidents due to distracted driving have claimed about 30 lives per year in Massachusetts for the past five years.
According to data from the Federal Highway Administration, Bay Staters drive 11,759 miles per year on average. That’s below the national average of 14,425 miles and is one reason why Massachusetts car insurance rates tend to be more affordable. In densely populated parts of the state, things are closer together and people don’t have to drive as far to get where they need to go.
How To Get Cheap Car Insurance In Massachusetts
There are many factors that go into determining your auto insurance rates. Some ways to save money and find the cheapest car insurance coverage include:
- Asking your local car insurance agent about discounts: Discounts vary from provider to provider, but some of the most common car insurance discounts include good driver discounts, good student discounts, and customer loyalty programs.
- Improving your credit score: People with lower credit scores tend to file more claims than those with higher credit scores. Because of this, many insurance companies use credit scores as a factor in determining your premium. Improve your credit score over time to see lower auto insurance quotes in Massachusetts.
- Bundling home and car insurance policies: Consider buying your home insurance from the same provider as your automobile insurance to bundle policies and start saving.
Overall, we rate Geico as the best provider in Massachusetts for its strong coverage options and low prices. But, at the end of the day, what's best for someone else might not be what's best for you. That's why we recommend comparing as many quotes as you can while you shop for car insurance in Massachusetts.
Use our tool to start comparing personalized car insurance quotes.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews auto insurance rate estimates generated by Quadrant Information Services for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
More On Insurance:
Read our other insurance articles: