This article takes a close look at Erie auto insurance reviews, coverage, and costs to help you decide if the provider is worth your time. Our research team has reviewed the nation’s best car insurance companies and evaluated them based on coverage, financial strength, availability, customer service, cost, and technology. See how Erie Insurance stacks up to the competition here.
The best way to find affordable car insurance coverage is to compare rates from multiple providers. We recommend reaching out to several in your area in order to find the best coverage for your situation and vehicle. We recommend getting matched with the best rates in your area. Enter your zip code into the simple tool above to get free insurance quotes to see your best options.
In this article:
- About Erie Insurance
- Erie Auto Insurance Coverage
- Erie Car Insurance Cost And Discounts
- Erie Auto Insurance Reviews
- Erie Insurance Technology And Apps
- Our Take On Erie Auto Insurance: 4.0 Stars
- Top Choices For Car Insurance
- FAQ: Erie Auto Insurance
About Erie Insurance
The Erie Insurance Group has been in business since 1925. From day one, the company has expressed a commitment to customer service. That’s why features like its Super Standard Auto Policy quickly became industry standards.
Today, Erie is a Fortune 500 company with numerous types of insurance available, including collector and classic car insurance, homeowners insurance, life insurance, and business insurance. Despite its nearly 100 years in business, Erie auto insurance has remained regional. You can only obtain a policy if you live in one of the following locations:
- District of Columbia
- North Carolina
- West Virginia
Erie Auto Insurance Coverage
Along with the standard types of auto insurance coverage, an Erie auto insurance policy comes with some great perks and optional add-ons. Here are some of the add-on auto coverages you can get with Erie:
- Pet coverage: If your pet is injured in an accident while riding in your car, you will be reimbursed for vet costs up to $500 per pet and $1,000 total.
- Personal item coverage: With physical damage coverage, your personal items such as luggage and belongings are covered up to $350.
- Auto glass repair: With comprehensive coverage, you can get glass repair with no deductible. You can also upgrade to Full Window Glass, which waives the deductible for repairs and replacements. New wiper blades are included if your windshield is replaced.
- Roadside and rentals bundle: This covers you during roadside emergencies and when you need to get a rental car.
- Locksmith services: With comprehensive coverage, locksmith charges are covered up to $75.
- Rate Lock: With this feature, Erie Insurance customers won’t see rates go up, even after filing a claim.
- New Auto Security: If you have had your car for less than two years and it is totaled, Erie will pay for a replacement of the latest model. If you have had your car for more than two years, the insurer will pay for a replacement of a model two years newer.
- Erie Auto Plus: For $30 more per year, you can add Erie Auto Plus to your Erie auto insurance policy. The plan includes a diminishing deductible, a $10,000 death benefit, additional transportation expense coverage, a waived deductible in some cases, and increased coverage limits for things like locksmith costs, personal items, and non-owned trailers.
- Additional rental coverage: Basic rental coverage is already included with comprehensive policies, but you can add on coverage in the case of a collision or get more vehicle choices.
With additional rental car coverage, you’ll be able to choose from six classes of rentals that range from compact sedans to large SUVs to specially equipped vehicles for individuals with disabilities.
Erie Car Insurance Cost And Discounts
Based on our cost research, the average driver pays $1,048 per year for a comprehensive coverage policy from Erie Auto Insurance. This is far below the national average of $1,732 per year. Erie insurance policies' pricing depends on a number of factors and is different for everyone. Things that can impact your premium costs with any insurer include:
- Driving record
- Marital status
To provide you with an idea of Erie Auto insurance costs, the table below shows rate estimates for a 35-year-old driver with a clean driving record and good credit history.
|Average Annual Cost Estimate|
|District of Columbia||$1,482||$1,786|
*Cost data not available for Illinois and Kentucky
Erie Auto Insurance Discounts
Fortunately, Erie offers a number of insurance discounts to help customers save money on their policies. Discounts offered by Erie are explained in the chart below.
|Erie Auto Insurance Discount||Details|
|Safe driving discount|| |
You can save on your Erie auto insurance policy if you are a safe driver with a good driving record.
|Car safety equipment discounts|| |
If your vehicle is equipped with safety features like factory-installed air bags and anti-theft devices, you receive a discount.
|Multi-car discount|| |
Insure two or more cars on the same policy for additional savings.
|Multi-policy discount|| |
When you purchase life or home insurance in addition to your Erie auto insurance policy, you can qualify for a discount. The discount is not available if you are already using the Erie Rate Lock add-on for your auto policy.
|Reduced usage discount|| |
If you don’t use your car for at least 90 consecutive days, you are eligible for a discount in all states except for Kentucky.
|Young drivers|| |
Drivers that are under the age of 21 and unmarried can receive savings in all states except for North Carolina.
|Annual payment plan|| |
When you pay for your Erie auto insurance policy annually instead of monthly, you receive a discount.
Erie Auto Insurance Reviews
Erie Insurance has been recognized by many industry experts, earning an A+ rating from the BBB and an A+ rating in financial strength from AM Best. It ranked second among mid-size insurers in the J.D. Power 2020 U.S. Insurance Shopping StudySM.
As with all insurance companies, Erie insurance reviews vary online. Many Erie customers have given the provider five stars, while others submitted formal complaints. After an accident, the claims process with any insurer can be stressful for drivers. We recommend always reading your policy in full to avoid any misunderstandings.
Positive Erie Insurance Reviews
Happy customers praise Erie's claims to service for its helpful agents. One customer wrote the following on the Erie Insurance BBB page:
“I’ve been with Erie for quite [some time] now, and I love them. My car got broken into at work and my purse was stolen. Erie was right beside me, and all I had to do was pay my deductible and they [paid] the rest with no questions asked… Also, I had somebody back into me, and they were right there… I didn’t have to do anything except contact the other driver and tell them who they needed to contact as my insurance company.”
Negative Erie Insurance Reviews
Not all customers are pleased with Erie. A few customers expressed displeasure with their claims settlements. One customer wrote the following on the Erie Insurance BBB page:
“Erie Insurance [is] not concerned about the customer, only about lining their own pockets. One could say this is the case for most insurance companies, but when you've been a customer for 13 years and have had zero claims and you finally file a claim with them, you expect a fair settlement. Far from it.”
In regard to complaints about Erie auto insurance, the company has responded to and closed all complaints promptly. This testifies to Erie’s dedication to customer satisfaction.
Erie Insurance Technology And Apps
Erie offers a number of apps for its customers to help manage their policies and earn rewards. Erie apps include:
- Erie YourTurn: A rewards-based telematics program. This app tracks driving behaviors and rewards customers with gift cards, pre-paid Visa cards, or charity donations for good driving. Erie YourTurn has a 3.8 out of 5.0-star rating on the Google Play store.
- Erie EnRoute: A service for commercial auto customers to share telematics data from fleet vehicles to improve safety.
- Erie Insurance Mobile: A mobile app that allows customers to access their Erie policy information. Users can also make payments, view billing activity, view claim status, and contact their Erie agent through the app.
Our Take On Erie Auto Insurance: 4.0 Stars
Erie Insurance excels in positive customer experiences and offers a variety of customizable coverage options that would suit most drivers’ needs. The company’s financial stability ensures that claims will be settled properly.
The main drawback of Erie auto insurance is that it is not available in most states. That said, we still think Erie can be a great option for those that live in D.C. or one of the 11 states where Erie auto insurance is available.
To see how much you would pay for Erie insurance, enter your zip code in the simple tool below to see your best options.
Top Choices For Car Insurance
While we like Erie Insurance, it’s always smart to get quotes from more than one auto insurer to compare coverage. We have conducted our own research and recommend the following companies. Each of them earned 4.5 out of 5.0 stars in our review of the industry’s top car insurance providers.
State Farm: Best For Students
Our State Farm insurance review shows that State Farm is the largest car insurance company in the nation with 16 percent of the market share, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. It has an A+ rating with the BBB and an A++ financial strength rating from AM Best. Known for its expansive network of local agents, State Farm provides a great customer experience with a multitude of available discounts and quick payouts for claims.
Progressive: Best For High-Risk Drivers
Established in 1937, Progressive is another big player in the U.S. auto insurance market and a competitor of Erie auto insurance. Based on our Progressive insurance review, we found that this provider has generally affordable rates, especially in California, and maintains an A+ financial strength rating from AM Best. In addition to standard coverages, Progressive offers coverage for custom parts and equipment, rideshare vehicles, roadside assistance, rental car reimbursement, and loan/lease payoff. The insurer also has a number of available discounts based on driving, loyalty, bundling your car and home insurance, and more.
Geico: Best Overall
Our Geico car insurance review led us to choose Geico as the best option for all drivers for its great customer experience and claims process. Geico has an A+ rating with the BBB and an A++ financial strength rating from AM Best. The company’s dedication to integrating technology makes it convenient and easy to use when it comes time to make changes to a policy or file a claim. Along with standard coverages, you can get things like mechanical breakdown insurance and rideshare insurance with Geico.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read our other insurance articles: