Both providers have advantages, but only one is right for you.
There’s almost no way to avoid car insurance, but you do have a choice when it comes to which car insurance company you use. Two providers that most everyone has heard of are household names Progressive and Geico.
Both leaders in the auto insurance industry, Progressive and Geico are known across the country for a reason. But each has its own advantages and disadvantages, so today we are going to evaluate Geico vs Progressive by comparing the providers’ car insurance rates, coverage, and customer satisfaction scores. Depending on what your individual needs are, you will likely find that one company is more appealing than the other.
In this article:
- Progressive And Geico Highlights
- Geico Vs Progressive: Reputation
- Geico Vs Progressive: Coverage Options
- Geico Vs Progressive: Cost
- Geico Vs Progressive: Available Discounts
- Geico Vs Progressive: Roadside Assistance
- Geico Vs Progressive: Online Tools And Apps
- Which Is Best: Progressive Or Geico?
- Other Top Insurance Companies To Consider
Progressive And Geico Highlights
Numerous discounts, including for federal employees
Mechanical breakdown coverage
Some customers complain about poor communication
Easy quotes process
Comprehensive roadside assistance
Snapshot usage-based program
Average customer satisfaction scores
Geico Vs Progressive: Reputation
Both of these companies have a reputation for entertaining advertisements – with the Geico Gecko and Progressive’s Flo as mascot and spokeswoman for the companies. But what do industry experts think? Here’s a quick look at Progressive vs Geico ratings from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), AM Best, and J.D. Power.
|BBB Rating||BBB Complaints||AM Best Financial Strength Rating||J.D. Power 2019 U.S. Insurance Shopping Study Ranking||J.D. Power 2019 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study Ranking|
|Geico||A+||1,064 in the last year||A++||848 / 1,000||879 / 1,000|
|Progressive||D-||964 in the last year||A+||838 / 1,000||856 / 1,000|
When it comes to customer satisfaction, Geico definitely shines. Geico’s strong BBB rating shows that the company is able to handle complaints in a timely and efficient manner, while Progressive seems to struggle with the BBB. J.D. Power’s Auto Claims Satisfaction Study placed Geico near the top of the list (in fourth place), while Progressive was near the bottom of the 24 providers in the study. The Insurance Shopping Study, which ranked 20 providers, saw Geico near the middle of the pack and Progressive in second-to-last place.
However, both companies showed strong financial strength, proving that they are able to fulfill claims for customers.
When you compare online reviews for Geico vs Progressive, you can find positive and negative reviews for both providers. Let’s take a look at a negative review for each to see what unhappy customers have reported:
“I ended up sliding on ice and hitting a wall. I contacted Geico, and the adjuster checked out my car and determined the damage was fresh. Geico decides to put an investigator on my case, who then asked me for the tow company’s information, the person that picked me up, the location of the accident, my coworkers’ numbers, neighbors’ numbers, my [boss’s] numbers, and all of this I provided… Then he tells me he will email me forms to sign. I [received] the email, and it’s a consent for my cell phone tower records and my car infotainment information, which I thought was ridiculous after almost two months dealing with this and no rental provided... I was furious and decided I won’t deal with a company that treats a customer in a way as if he’s a criminal.”
-Justin J. via BBB
“They are not there for you when you need them the most. I switched to Progressive from [another] company that was great for a lower premium. I paid my premiums in full, and then an accident happened. Their claims adjuster tries to find a reason not to cover me instead of giving me that warm feeling of being covered. Now things will need to go to arbitration just to try to get them to cover me.”
-Nathan S. via BBB
Geico Vs Progressive: Coverage Options
Both Geico and Progressive provide standard coverage in all 50 states. These coverages include:
- Bodily injury liability (BI)
- Property damage liability (PD)
- Personal injury protection (PIP)
- Medical payments (MedPay)
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UM/UIM)
Most auto insurance companies offer standard coverage. What you really want to look at when comparing Progressive vs Geico is the additional car insurance coverage and other insurance options for your home, rental property, and more.
|Usage-based insurance||Yes, in some states||Yes, in 48 states|
|Ridesharing insurance||Yes, in 39 states||Yes, in 35 states and Washington, D.C.|
|Accident forgiveness||Yes, in 47 states||Yes|
|Other vehicle insurance (RVs, motorcycles, boats)||Yes, in 47 states||Yes|
|Mechanical breakdown coverage||Yes||No|
|Homeowners insurance||Yes (with partners)||Yes (with partners)|
|Renters insurance||Yes (with partners)||Yes (with partners)|
|Life insurance||Yes (with partners)||Yes (with partners)|
|Business insurance||Yes (with partners)||Yes (with partners)|
|Flood insurance||Yes (National Flood Insurance Program)||Yes (National Flood Insurance Program)|
|Umbrella liability insurance||Yes||Yes, in 42 states|
Geico Vs Progressive: Cost
In our research, we found that Geico generally offers lower rates than Progressive. However, this may not always be the case depending on your details and driving history. The only way to know for sure how much a policy from one of these providers will cost is to obtain quotes from each. That’s because premiums are affected by the following factors.
- Location: Not only are car insurance premiums different by state, but also the local area. If you live in a congested urban area, you will pay more than the driver living in rural America.
- Policy Coverage: Whether you choose minimum or full coverage can dramatically affect how much you pay.
- Deductible: Choosing a lower deductible may help keep money in your pocket during a claim, but will cost you more with your insurance premium.
- Age: Teen drivers pay more because of the additional risk. The more driving history you have, the lower your rates.
- Driving Record: If you are a safe driver with few or no infractions, you can expect to pay less for auto insurance.
- Credit Score: Insurance companies look at your credit history to determine your reliability.
- Vehicle Type: The car you drive also determines how much you will pay. Some cars cost more to repair because of expensive or rare parts. Before you buy a car, it helps to get a quote and see if your vehicle falls into the category of most expensive to insure, cheapest, or somewhere in between.
Geico Vs Progressive: Available Discounts
The next step in shopping is to look at available car insurance discounts. You could have a higher base premium with one company but then get a lower cost in the end because of your discount eligibility. Let’s compare Progressive vs Geico by looking at discounts for students, military, and more.
|Pay in full||✔||✔|
|Anti-lock brake system||✔|
|Affinity Membership Alum||✔|
Geico Vs Progressive: Roadside Assistance
Roadside assistance is an important consideration for many drivers. After all, who wants to be stranded on the side of the road after an accident or breakdown? Both Geico and Progressive provide this coverage as an add-on. While the plans cost about the same amount of money, the exact services can vary. Here’s a closer comparison of Progressive vs Geico.
|Roadside Assistance Program||Geico||Progressive|
|Flat tire change||✔||✔|
|Dead battery jumpstart||✔||✔|
|Fuel and fluid delivery||✔|
From this chart, we can see that Progressive offers more comprehensive roadside assistance plan than Geico.
Geico Vs Progressive: Online Tools And Apps
Both Progressive and Geico have mobile-friendly websites and mobile apps. Through these avenues, you can manage your auto insurance policy online, pay your premiums, get access to ID cards, upload damage photos for claims, and call for roadside assistance. In addition, each company provides some extra digital tools to make insurance policy management easier.
- Drive Easy: Geico’s usage-based tool can save you up to 20 percent on your monthly bill.
- Vehicle Care: This system reminds you when your vehicle requires maintenance.
- Locators: Easily find gas stations, nearby attractions, or parking with this tool.
- Voice Assistance: You can use your Alexa device, Google Assistant, or Google Home.
- Find a Ride: Use the mobile app to hire a Lyft driver.
- Name Your Price®: This tool helps you find a policy that works with your budget.
- Snapshot: This is part of Progressive’s usage-based program. The app monitors your driving to see if you qualify for additional discounts.
- Virtual Assistance: Use Google Home or Flo Chatbot (a Facebook Messenger app) for additional help.
Which Is Best: Progressive Or Geico?
After looking closely at the breakdowns between Progressive vs Geico, we have to declare the latter the winner, but not by much.
Overall, Geico scores higher in customer satisfaction and tends to have lower rates. With that said, you don’t want to overlook Progressive. The company provides great gap coverage and some additional perks with its roadside assistance program.
|Overall Rating||Financial Strength||
Claim Servicing Score
New Car Replacement
To figure out which policy would be best for you, we highly recommend getting quotes from both companies. Like we mentioned, each person’s premium will be different, so we wouldn’t be surprised if you found better coverage with one provider than your neighbor did.
Best Company Overall
Best for those ineligible for USAA: Offers competitive pricing and great coverage.
Great for Discount Bundles
Offers a number of ways to get a discount, including the Snapshot tool or bundle options.
Other Top Insurance Companies To Consider
After comparing Geico vs Progressive, we highly recommend both auto insurance companies. However, there are a couple of other providers out there that you might consider while you shop. It doesn’t take long to get a few quotes from competing insurance providers. Spending this time could save you money on your premiums. Just make sure the provider you choose also supplies great customer service and claims processing, or you could end up frustrated in your time of need.
USAA: 5 Stars
We recently reviewed the best car insurance companies in the nation, and USAA was the only provider that we awarded five stars. That being said, USAA car insurance is only available to military service members and their families. But if you qualify, the company tends to have low rates, plenty of discounts, and the option to add on roadside assistance. Additionally, USAA excels in customer satisfaction studies, including both J.D. Power studies discussed above.
State Farm: 4.5 Stars
Like Progressive and Geico, we gave State Farm a 4.5-star rating. The provider has great ratings from industry leaders and offers an extensive list of discounts. If you have younger drivers on your policy, you might find more competitive rates with State Farm auto insurance.