Let us help you decide if State Auto Insurance is right for you.
State Auto Insurance has been offering insurance products for almost a century. It caters to the needs of individuals, businesses, and farms and ranches with a variety of plans including property and casualty insurance, business insurance, and of course, auto insurance.
If you’ve been looking for State Auto Insurance reviews to help you decide if this is the insurer for your car, you’re in the right place. All you need to do is scroll down to learn more about this company, its perks, plans, process, and customer reviews.
We encourage you to see if State Auto is available in your area, or if there's a better deal for you from one of the nation's best car insurance companies.
Whenever you shop for car insurance, we recommend getting quotes from multiple providers so you can compare coverage and rates. In addition to the insurance company you choose, factors such as your age, vehicle make and model, and driving history can affect your premium, so what’s best for your neighbor might not be best for you.
To start comparing personalized car insurance quotes, use the tool below or call (855) 518-0148.
In this article:
State Auto Insurance Company Overview
Headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, State Auto Insurance was established by Robert Pein in 1921. Frustrated by high rates and unfair claim settlements, Pein vowed his company would offer reasonable rates and prompt, fair claim services. This has been the company’s hallmark to date.
What makes State Auto Insurance company stand out is its dedication to incorporating information technology (IT) to offer customers flexibility, be it while finding a local agent or filing claims. The company’s efforts were recognized earlier in 2019 when it received a CIO 100 award by IDG’s CIO. The award program recognizes and honors organizations that achieved the highest operational and strategic excellence in IT.
According to the company, it writes $2.0 billion in premiums to clients across 33 states. Reports from credit rating agency AM Best further confirm the company’s excellent financial strength. The company scored an A- (Excellent), which indicates its strong operating performance, long-standing market presence, and diversified product offerings.
State Auto Insurance Coverage Options
State Auto offers three insurance levels: Standard, AutoXtended Plus, and AutoXtended Premier.
The Standard plan offers basic auto insurance coverage such as liability, medical payments, and collision insurance. The AutoXtended Plus and AutoXtended Premier plans have even more coverage, with the latter offering higher limits. Some of the items included in these plans are:
- Bail bonds
- Locksmith/key replacement
- Disability coverage
- Ambulance coverage
- Emergency travel expenses
Enhanced AutoXtended Coverages Endorsement is automatically included in Plus and Premier. With it, you’ll receive additional coverages to complement your insurance, including waiving the collision car insurance deductible, customizing equipment coverage, and personal effects coverage.
As these plans vary by state, you’ll need to contact a local agent to learn more about the coverage available for you.
Optional Coverages To Add To Your Plan
In addition to the three plans above, State Auto Insurance provides additional insurance products that offer added value, if available in your state.
- Full Safety Glass Coverage: Offered with new AutoXtended Plus and AutoXtended Premier plans, this no-deductible plan covers the windshield, windows, and safety glass on the headlights. However, you won’t qualify for a claim if damage to your vehicle’s glass was caused by a collision.
- Roadside Assistance: This addition is available for all three plans. With it, your vehicle will be towed from a public road to wherever you wish. Other perks of this plan include the delivery of supplies such as water and fuel, battery jump-starts, tire changes, and lockout services (up to $100).
- Accident and Minor Violation Forgiveness: Not available in the Standard Plan, this coverage waives your first accident and first minor violation if you have been accident- and violation-free for 35 consecutive months. This coverage will save you from incurring higher insurance rates after a moving violation.
Does State Auto Insurance Cover Rental Cars?
No, State Auto Insurance does not cover rental cars. You have the option to purchase add-on coverage like safety glass coverage, roadside assistance, and accident forgiveness insurance with State Auto Insurance.
Getting Car Insurance Quotes From State Auto
To sign up for any of State Auto Insurance’s plans, you’ll need to contact one of its independent agents in your state. You can easily find a local agent near you directly on the company’s website. Before contacting one, however, make sure you have the following information ready:
- Make, model, vehicle identification number (VIN), and year of the car
- Rough estimate of how much you typically drive
- List of things you drive with or have in your vehicle, including pets
These factors along with your age and location will influence the price of your policy.
The good news is State Auto Insurance provides several ways to reduce your car insurance rates.
- State Auto Safety 360: By enrolling in Safe 360, the company’s program for improving drivers’ habits, you can earn discounts off your premium at each renewal.You’ll even receive a 10 percent participation discount upon installing the Safety 360 device.
- Multi-Policy Discount: If you have an umbrella policy or a home or dwelling policy, you are also eligible for a discount with your auto insurance.
- Accident Prevention Course: This discount is available for drivers 21 years old and above who have attended an Accident Prevention Course in the last 36 months.
- State Auto Start Up: You can get discounted prices by having your agent provide a quote at least eight days before the policy goes into effect.
- Driver Training: For drivers under 21, the insurance carrier will provide a discount if they attend a driving education course.
- Anti-Theft Device: Car owners who go the extra mile to secure their vehicles are eligible for discounts.
- Good Student: If you’re a full-time student with a B (3.0) average, you can get discounts on your auto insurance.
- Multi-Car: You can include two or more vehicles on the same policy for a reduced price. This extends to registered golf carts, motor homes, and off-road vehicles.
To see how insurance through State Auto Insurance would compare to coverage through other providers, call (855) 518-0148 or use this tool:
Paying Your Insurance Bill
You can pay your State Auto Insurance company bills in several ways depending on your policy. If your policy has 10 numbers and no letters, you can make payments online through One-Time Payment, or by calling 833-SAHELPS (833-724-3577).
If your policy has two to three letters and seven to eight numbers, you get two additional payment methods aside from phone and the website. You can either set automatic payments or mail a check to State Auto Insurance. If you plan on mailing payments, make sure to write the proper address, as there are two – one for standard mail and another for overnight express.
How Do You File A Claim With State Auto Insurance?
If you’re ever in a car accident, the first thing State Auto Insurance recommends is contacting your independent agent. They’ll guide you on how to get the most from your coverage. Next, you’ll need to file a car insurance claim by providing details such as policy particulars and the names and contact information of all drivers, passengers, and witnesses.
You can strengthen your claim with medical reports indicating personal harm, photos of the damage, a police report (if any), a proof of claim form, and sworn statements.
Once your claim is received, the company will assign your case to one of its claims professionals. You need to provide as many documents and details to them as possible. The claims professional will then evaluate your case and resolve it according to the company’s policies and your state’s governing laws.
If you only need to file an auto glass claim, you can simply call at 888-504-4527 or submit your claim online.
The Pros And Cons Of State Auto Insurance
Now that you have a better idea of this insurance carrier, let’s get to the most important part of this review: the pros and cons.
Why Buying A State Auto Insurance Plan Is A Good Idea
There are several reasons why getting car insurance from this company is worthwhile:
- 24/7 availability
- Cheaper auto insurance rates for safe, experienced drivers
- Emergency roadside service with some plans
- Local independent agents
- Choice of certified repair facilities
- Online claims service
- Multiple policy discounts
- Accident forgiveness
Reasons To Think Long And Hard Before Buying A Plan
Unlike some of the State Auto Insurance reviews you may come across, this one aims to be an honest guide for car insurance buyers. So, after going over the highlights of this insurer, it’s about time we mention the downsides:
- Limited Standard plan
- Not free to cancel policies
- Limited vehicle equipment discounts
- Expensive car insurance for young drivers
- Not available on the West Coast
- Fluctuating service delivery when dealing with lax agents
What Others Have Said About State Auto Insurance
State Automobile Mutual Insurance Company has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. The company also ranked well on Consumer Reports’ car insurance test program, as respondents were satisfied with the price of premiums and handling of claims.
That said, the BBB has received 68 complaints in the last 3 years. Of these, 55 were related to a problem with the product or service. One reviewer mentioned being unable to get a response regarding their claim. Most of these complaints, however, have been answered in detail or resolved through BBB. This shows the company’s customer service isn’t as inefficient as some reviews make it out to be.
By now, you probably have decided whether or not State Auto Insurance is the right car insurance provider for you. However, if you ask us, we believe it’s a good option for experienced drivers who would like to get great value for their buck – especially if you’re in one of the 33 states where this provider’s plans are offered.
If you are a young driver or someone who lives in one of the other 27 states, then we would recommend looking elsewhere for auto insurance. To see what your other options are, call (855) 518-0148 or use this tool:
Want More Options For Car Insurance?
While this may be a review of State Auto Insurance, our main focus is you. With that in mind, here are some more great insurance carriers you can check out before buying a plan. Each of them ranked highly in our review of the industry's best car insurance providers.
USAA: 5.0 Stars
The United Services Automobile Association (USAA) offers affordable auto insurance to military personnel and those affiliated with the military through direct family ties.
If this applies to you, you can choose from a variety of auto insurance plans including standard coverages and specialty coverages like car replacement assistance. You can easily save on these plans with discounts offered based on your driving, vehicle, and membership. Moreover, USAA offers same-day coverage, 24/7 claims service, and award-winning representative care.
Learn more in our USAA insurance review.
Geico: 4.5 Stars
Popularly known as Geico, the Government Employees Insurance Company is the second largest auto insurer in the United States. It’s one of the few insurance carriers that allows you to do everything online. While its coverage options are like those offered by other companies, its low prices combined with several discounts make it worth consideration.
Like State Auto Insurance, Geico is a better choice for experienced drivers who have not had an at-fault accident within the last five years. However, you won’t know how much you’ll be billed monthly unless you request a free quote.
Learn more in our Geico review.