In our State Farm insurance review, we rate the company 4.6 out of 5.0 and highlight its programs and discounts for young drivers.
The biggest car insurance company in the nation, State Farm insures more drivers than any other provider. In this article, we'll dive into State Farm insurance reviews, coverage options, and discounts to help you decide if the company is the right fit for your car and budget. We'll also compare State Farm to other leading providers that made it onto our list of the best car insurance companies.
When you're done reading about State Farm, we recommend you collect and compare car insurance quotes from several providers available in your state. This is the best way to find the cheapest car insurance coverage.
In this article:
- State Farm Insurance Review: 4.6 Stars
- State Farm Cost
- State Farm Auto Insurance Coverage
- State Farm Insurance Reviews
- State Farm App
- Other Recommended Auto Insurance Providers
- State Farm Insurance Review: FAQ
State Farm Insurance Review: 4.6 Stars
We rate State Farm insurance 4.6 out of 5.0 stars and name it Best for Students in 2022. Positive State Farm auto insurance reviews and the provider's many discount opportunities, ability to quickly handle claims, and A++ financial strength rating from AM Best make it a great choice for most drivers. The bottom line? State Farm is in our top three picks overall.
|State Farm Pros||State Farm Cons|
|Largest auto insurer in the country||Not taking new customers in Massachusetts or Rhode Island|
|Many discounts for teens and students||Higher rates than some competitors|
|Superior financial strength rating from AM Best|
|Available in 48 states|
State Farm Highlights
Company name: State Farm Insurance Company
Headquarters: Bloomington, IL
Availability: Nationwide, though the company no longer accepts new auto customers in Massachusetts or Rhode Island
Policies and accounts: Over 83 million
Market share: 15.9 percent in 2021 according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC)
AM Best financial strength rating: A++ (Superior)
Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating: A+
State Farm Cost
According to our rate estimates, good drivers can find full coverage policies for about $1,339 per year ($112 per month). That's about 23 percent cheaper than the national average of $1,732 per year ($144 per month). Below you can see how State Farm's average rates compare to rates from other companies. The estimates below apply to 35-year-old drivers with good credit and driving records.
|Car Insurance Provider||Average Annual Cost Estimate||Average Monthly Cost Estimate|
Of course, not everyone has a clean driving record or a perfect credit score. (Most states allow car insurance companies to increase rates for those with poor credit.) Here's how State Farm premiums can change according to different driving profiles. Spoiler alert: State Farm is reasonably affordable even if you have an accident or DUI, but it's expensive for those with poor credit scores.
|Driving Profile||Annual State Farm Cost Estimate||Monthly State Farm Cost Estimate|
State Farm Car Insurance Costs By State
Of course, car insurance costs depend on a variety of factors. One of the biggest factors is the state where you live. Below, you can see how State Farm car insurance estimates compare to each state's average. According to our estimates, State Farm insurance rates are usually cheaper than the state's average.
|State||State Farm Annual Cost Estimate||State Average Cost Estimate|
|Massachusetts||Data not available||$2,568|
Why Is State Farm So Cheap?
Because State Farm is the largest auto insurance company in the market, it has a huge variety of drivers who contribute to the insurance pool. This helps keep auto insurance rates lower for everyone. Minimum coverage is the cheapest option from State Farm.
State Farm Discounts
Drivers insured by State Farm can get a number of insurance discounts. This is a huge draw for budget-conscious drivers, according to State Farm reviews. State Farm offers three types of discounts: safe driving discounts, safe vehicle discounts, and loyalty discounts. These auto discounts can be broken down even further, per the table below (discounts vary by state).
|State Farm Discount||Eligibility Details|
|Accident-Free||Save money by staying accident-free for three continuous years while being insured by State Farm.|
|Defensive Driving Course||Save 10% to 15% by taking an approved defensive driving course.|
|Good Student Discount||Save up to 25% by maintaining a GPA of at least 3.0 or ranking in the top 20% of your class (only available to students).|
|Good Driving Discount||Save money by going three years or more without moving violations or at-fault accidents (only available to new customers).|
|Driver Training Discount||Save money by taking a driver training course (only available for drivers under the age of 21).|
|Student Away at School||Save money when a State Farm-insured student under 25 years old moves away to school and only drives the vehicle while at home for vacations or holidays.|
|Vehicle Safety||Save up to 40% on MedPay coverage if your car was made after 1994 (depending on the make and model).|
|Passive Restraint||Save up to 40% on MedPay coverage if your car was made after 1993 and has factory-installed airbags, seat belts, and other passive restraint systems.|
|Anti-Theft||Save money if your car is equipped with an alarm or other approved anti-theft device.|
|Multiple Auto||Save up to 20% if two or more cars in your household are insured by State Farm and owned by related individuals.|
|Multi-Policy||Save up to 17% by bundling your car insurance with one of State Farm's other insurance products, such as life, homeowners, condo, or renters insurance.|
Accident forgiveness may be available for State Farm auto insurance customers who have been accident-free for nine years. However, you can’t purchase accident forgiveness for your State Farm auto insurance policy.
Is State Farm Worth The Money?
Overall, State Farm is worth the money for many drivers because its rates tend to be more affordable than average for the industry. State Farm also offers attractive discounts for good students, good drivers, and more that make it a cheap option for many drivers.
State Farm Usage-Based Insurance
Using State Farm's usage-based insurance program Drive Safe & Save™ could save you up to 30 percent if you practice safe driving habits like braking slowly and not speeding. The Steer Clear® program is available for drivers under 25 and makes State Farm a great option for students.
State Farm Auto Insurance Coverage
With State Farm, you can get all the standard types of car insurance offered by most companies. These include:
- Liability auto insurance (bodily injury/property damage liability): Covers other people's vehicle repairs and medical bills when you cause an accident
- Collision insurance: Covers your car if you cause an accident
- Comprehensive car insurance: Covers your car from environmental damage, theft, vandalism, and collision with stationary objects
- Medical payments (MedPay): Covers medical bills after an accident
- Personal injury protection (PIP): Covers medical bills, lost wages, and funeral costs
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM): Covers your vehicle and medical bills if someone without enough insurance causes an accident
It should be noted that bodily injury/property damage liability coverage is required by almost all states. Some states also require medical coverage or UM/UIM. No-fault states require PIP since it covers the driver no matter who is at fault.
Car Insurance Extras
You can get a number of add-ons with State Farm, which is one reason why State Farm insurance reviews so well. These add-ons include:
- Rental and travel expense coverage: With Car Rental Expense, State Farm will cover a rental car while your car is being repaired after a covered claim (up to the limits you choose). With Travel Expenses, State Farm will pay for meals, lodging, and transportation (up to $500) if you get in an accident more than 50 miles from home and can’t get home. The insurance provider also covers a return trip to pick up your car. Finally, State Farm auto insurance can pay up to $500 toward a deductible after you have an accident in a rental car.
- Rideshare insurance coverage: If you drive for Uber or Lyft, you should add this option to your auto policy. That’s because a standard auto insurance policy doesn’t cover commercial use of your vehicle. You are usually covered by the rideshare company when you are driving to pick up a person or drop them off, but you aren’t covered when you are waiting to accept a trip from the app.
- State Farm roadside assistance: State Farm offers emergency road service that includes one hour of labor at the breakdown site, towing to the nearest repair shop, fluid delivery, jump-starts, spare tire installation, and lockout services.
State Farm Accident Claim Number
If you need to file a claim with your State Farm auto insurance policy, you can call 800-732-5246 (800-SF-CLAIM). You can also file claims online or through the State Farm mobile app.
State Farm Homeowners Insurance
Just like with car insurance, State Farm is the largest provider of home insurance in the country. Whether you’re a first-time homebuyer or you own multiple properties, you can probably find what you need with State Farm. State Farm home insurance coverage includes options like property damage, personal property, liability, and more. According to State Farm’s website, policyholders can save up to $1,127 by bundling home and auto.
State Farm Life Insurance
With State Farm, you can also choose from a variety of life insurance policy options. State Farm offers whole, term, and universal life insurance plus options for small business owners and more. State Farm offers a discount for bundling life and auto, while some other providers don't.
State Farm Insurance Reviews
State Farm regularly ranks among the top car insurance companies in the nation. It has high ratings from experts, although customer ratings on websites such as the BBB and Trustpilot are mixed. State Farm has an A+ rating from the BBB.
State Farm Customer Service
According to the J.D. Power 2022 U.S. Insurance Shopping Study℠, State Farm’s quotes and shopping experiences are among the best for large insurers. In our research, we found the online quotes process to be easy to navigate. The online quotes system handles coverage for standard vehicles, but if you want insurance for a classic car or ATV, you’ll have to contact a State Farm agent instead.
Are Customers Happy With State Farm?
Most customers are happy with State Farm. In the J.D. Power 2022 U.S. Auto Insurance Study℠ – which measures customer satisfaction with auto insurance in 11 geographic regions across the United States – State Farm scored very well, placing above average in most regions and number one in the Southwest. Keep in mind that customer service may vary depending on your local agent.
Is State Farm Good At Paying Claims?
State Farm is generally good at paying claims. State Farm came in sixth place in the J.D. Power 2021 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study℠. The previous year's study found that people wait about 10 days on average for a claim to be resolved, but State Farm insurance reviews say customers may experience a shorter insurance claims process.
Below are a few sample reviews for State Farm.
Positive State Farm Insurance Reviews
The vast majority of State Farm customers have positive experiences. State Farm insurance reviews often mention agents who make personal connections and offer help quickly.
"I have been with this agent now for more than 20 years. I have never had an issue with anyone at this office and have stayed with them because of the wonderful customer service all of the staff at this location has provided me. I would refer anyone to them in a heartbeat. They have always been good for peace of mind, and I have never worried about them not being there for me or my family. Kudos to an awesome agent and fantastic group of professionals."
– Mickey via BBB
"I had a flat tire [and] needed to be towed an hour away on a Sunday. I called my agent first thing Monday morning. Check in the mail to reimburse me on same day. Great customer service!"
– Jeri C. via BBB
Negative State Farm Insurance Reviews
Not everyone has the best experience with State Farm. Some State Farm insurance reviews talk about poor customer service or miscommunication in the billing department.
"My family has been with State Farm for over 20 years and due to numerous issues, we canceled our insurance and went with another company. However, State Farm made an auto withdraw from our account the next month and when we called to complain, we were told it would take [three] months for a refund, and we are still waiting for the refund, and it has been [three] months … totally unacceptable!"
– Lisa S. via BBB
"Horrible company. We were with State Farm for [three] years paying $300+ per month for each car, got into an accident, and they told us that my last month automatic payment didn't go through so they wouldn't cover the accident."
– Natalie K. via BBB
State Farm App
State Farm's insurance app has a 4.7-star rating out of 5.0 on Google Play and 4.8 stars out of 5.0 on the App Store. The provider's other apps – Drive Safe & Save and Steer Clear – have similar ratings from thousands of State Farm auto insurance reviews.
Drive Safe & Save App
Drive Safe & Save is State Farm’s usage-based insurance option. You can get a basic discount for having low annual mileage without the mobile app. You can also get the app and save more based on other data. Data collected includes:
- Phone use
- Time of day
- Time traveled
The Drive Safe & Save program only results in a discount on your State Farm auto insurance – it won’t raise your rates. However, if you were already receiving a low-mileage discount and the data shows you no longer qualify, you can lose that discount.
Steer Clear App
State Farm's other app-based discount, Steer Clear, is available for young drivers under the age of 25 who have clean three-year driving records. This is one of the reasons State Farm is a smart choice for students. This app is focused on driver education and involves the following:
- Course training: Drivers complete five training modules in the app, which include videos, quizzes, and driving scenarios.
- Mentoring: Drivers’ friends and family can provide feedback and log progress in the app.
- Driving practice: Drivers need to complete at least five hours of driving over ten trips.
- Certification: Upon successful completion of the program, drivers get an in-app certification they can send to State Farm for a discount.
Other Recommended Auto Insurance Providers
If you’re shopping for cheap car insurance, you don’t have to go with the first quote you get. It’s always a good idea to add others into the mix to see which company gives you the best value. In our review of the industry's best car insurance companies, a few others performed as well as State Farm or better in certain areas:
- USAA: This insurance provider offers the best prices and customer service for military members and their families. We rated USAA higher than any other provider with 4.8 out of 5.0 stars. Learn more in our complete USAA auto insurance review.
- Geico: This insurance provider is one of the best options for car insurance overall (if you don't qualify for USAA). Our Geico auto insurance review found that many people find comprehensive coverage and cheap rates through Geico.
- Progressive: This insurance company also offers competitive prices and a number of discounts, and it’s great for tech-savvy shoppers. Read our full Progressive auto insurance review or check out our Progressive vs. State Farm comparison to see how these two stand up to each other.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services, and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read our other insurance articles:
- Assurance Auto Insurance Review
- GoAuto Insurance Review
- Southern Farm Bureau Car Insurance Review
- Penn National Auto Insurance Review
- Charter Oak Insurance Review