It’s important to do your research to get the lowest rates.
Adding a young driver to your car insurance policy can skyrocket the rate as much as $3,500 per year, according to CBS News. To save money, you should take your time to find the best car insurance for teens. Otherwise, you may end up paying more than necessary.
In this article, we will look at the process of getting coverage for your child and evaluate the top options for teenage drivers. We’ve already done the research and found some insurance providers that offer cheap insurance for young drivers.
Whenever you shop for car insurance, we recommend getting quotes from multiple providers so you can compare coverage and rates. In addition to the insurance company you choose, factors such as your age, vehicle make and model, and driving history can affect your premium, so what’s best for your neighbor might not be best for you.
Use our tool below or call (855) 518-0148 for free and start comparing personalized car insurance quotes.
In this article:
- Best Car Insurance For Teens
- How To Add Teenagers To Your Car Insurance Policy
- How To Get The Cheapest Car Insurance For Teens
- Protect Your Vehicle and Your Teen
Best Car Insurance For Teens
To protect your teen drivers, you should evaluate each insurance company by several criteria. Young adults have additional needs, so you want to look at more than just cost. We recommend looking at the insurance rating, level of customer service, available discounts, and perks such as accident forgiveness insurance. In our "Top 12" industry review of the best auto insurance providers, we found a few providers that have cheap car insurance for teens.
|Best Car Insurance For Teens||Our Overall Rating||Customer Service||Affordability||Coverage|
*You may notice that some car insurance companies are listed above those with higher star ratings. This is because our ratings take into account nationwide factors, while our ranking for this article looks specifically at what car insurance providers are best for teens.
#1 State Farm Car Insurance
State Farm is a leading auto insurance provider along with other insurance products for motorcycles, boats, ATVs, motorhomes, and more. State Farm has the best car insurance for students.
State Farm has comprehensive coverage and advantageous discounts for young drivers, making this provider one of the best insurance for teens and young adults. State Farm discounts that could save teen drivers money include:
- Drive Safe and SaveTM: A usage-based safe driving program that works by collecting data about your safe driving habits through the app on your phone or OnStar® to qualify you for savings.
- Steer Clear® Program: Drivers younger than 25 without any at-fault accidents or moving violations in the past three years who complete this driving training program could save as much 15 percent on their policy.
- Student Away at School Discount: If you are a student under the age of 25 and move away to school without bringing your car, get a discount on your car insurance rates.
- Good Student Discount: Maintain a B average or higher and save up to 25 percent for getting good grades.
- Driver Training Discount: Drivers under the age of 21 are eligible to complete an approved driver education course.
Young drivers can get affordable insurance through discounts and usage-based programs. Plus, this provider has a positive reputation in the auto warranty industry. The Better Business Bureau (BBB) gives State Farm an A rating, which bodes well for the company’s reliability.
To learn more about the auto insurance that this company has to offer, consider reading our review of State Farm.
#2 Liberty Mutual Auto Insurance
Liberty Mutual is the best car insurance for students because of its comprehensive coverage and benefits. Some car insurance benefits from Liberty Mutual that could be useful for young drivers include:
- Liberty Mutual Deductible Fund®: Think of this like a savings fund that puts money toward the deductible you pay to the repair shop out-of-pocket in the case of a covered repair. With this plan, Liberty Mutual also contributes to the cost of your deductible savings.
- Lifetime Repair Guarantee: If you purchase this plan, any covered repair will be guaranteed for the lifetime of your vehicle.
- Accident forgiveness: This plan will protect your premium against heightened rates after your first at-fault accident, which can be beneficial for young, less experienced drivers.
- Roadside assistance: Provides towing, flat tire changes, dead batteries, lockout services, and fuel delivery services when your car is disabled.
- Rental car reimbursement: Get reimbursed the cost of your rental car when your car is in the shop.
- Auto loan/lease gap: If you owe more than your vehicle is worth, this plan covers the difference in the event of a total loss.
- Liberty Mutual has a positive reputation among industry experts. It has an A rating from the Better Business Bureau and an A Financial Strength Rating from AM Best. If you’re interested, we recommend getting a quote and discussing your discount and savings options with the agent.
Learn more about Liberty Mutual auto insurance in our review to determine if this provider has the right coverage for you.
#3 USAA Car Insurance
Our top choice when looking at the best auto insurance for young adults is USAA. If you are currently enlisted or part of a military family, it makes sense to use this provider for your insurance needs.
In the 2019 J.D. Power Auto Insurance Study, USAA was awarded a perfect 5.0 rating for overall satisfaction. Additionally, the company scored 5.0 ratings across the board for policy offerings, price, billing process, interaction, and claims. No other company evaluated can boast about the same outcome.
Among various discounts, USAA provides lower rates with the following incentives.
|Driver Training Discount||Additional saving for any driver under the age of 21 who took a basic driver training course|
|Safe Driving Discount||Additional savings for anyone that has been accident-free for five years|
|Good Student Discount||Decrease in the premium if your teen gets good grades|
|Multi-Vehicle Discount||Lowering your premium when you own multiple vehicles|
Aside from those benefits, USAA provides roadside assistance and accident forgiveness plans as well. With complete protection, it’s easy to feel safe when choosing this company to cover your teen. In fact, the coverage doesn’t end when your child moves away from home and is ready for their own policy. USAA has a 10 percent Family Legacy discount when the time comes for your child to get an individual policy.
Read our review of USAA auto insurance to learn more about this provider.
#4 Geico Auto Insurance
Geico is known for more than just an adorable gecko spokesperson. It is one of the top insurance providers in the country. Not only does Geico maintain an A+ Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating, but it also fared well on that same J.D. Power study.
As some of the best auto insurance for young adults, we like Geico for its long list of discounts and incentives. Here are just a few of the discounts you and your teen could receive:
|Good Student Discount||Lower premiums if the teen maintains a B average or higher|
|Good Driver Discount||Additional savings for anyone that has been accident-free for five years|
|Membership Discount||Lower premiums for select fraternity and sorority memberships|
||Discounts depending on the university or college you graduate from|
|Air Bag Discount
||Up to 40 percent off for having a vehicle with full-front seat airbags|
|Seat Belt Use Discount
||Up to 15 percent off if you and your passengers always wear seat belts|
|Defensive Driving Discount
||Discounts available if you or your teen takes a defensive driving course|
Many young drivers also appreciate the high-tech app that’s available to users. Some perks you can expect with the Geico app include:
- Vehicle care features that monitor the car’s maintenance
- App locator to find gas, nearby attractions, and parking
- Voice-activated resource for use with Amazon’s Alexa
To find out if Geico has the right insurance policy for your budget, read our Geico auto insurance review.
#5 Progressive Car Insurance
Progressive didn’t rank as highly in the claims department as some of the other options in J.D Power's U.S. Auto Insurance Study, but the perks this company offers make it a top contender of car insurance for teens. Progressive is one of the largest insurance providers in the nation and has been in business since 1937. It currently sits in 99th place on the Fortune 500 list.
Not only does this provider have a strong reputation, but it offers several discounts to help you save even more. Some advantages to using Progressive when choosing car insurance for teen drivers include:
|Usage-Based Coverage||Only pay for protection when the vehicle is in use (i.e. if your child goes away to school without the vehicle)|
|Good Student Discount||Lower premiums if the teen maintains a B average or higher|
|Multi-Vehicle Discount||Lowering your premium when you own multiple vehicles|
Probably the best part about getting Progressive insurance is the provider’s price comparison tool. Instead of shopping with multiple companies, you can simply use the price comparison tool offered by Progressive to see the rates of competing companies. It’s not unheard of to find a lower rate with another company as a result of this tool. That level of transparency is difficult to find in the insurance industry.
Learn more about Progressive auto insurance in our review.
#6 AAA Car Insurance
AAA is known for more than just roadside assistance and car rental discounts. With your membership, you can receive low insurance premiums – even when your teen is included in the policy. AAA car insurance has been widely regarded as a leader in the industry and maintains an A+ BBB rating. With your coverage, you can receive several AAA auto insurance discounts including:
|Accident Forgiveness||Eligibility is determined by driving history|
|Extended Car Rental Expense Coverage||Pays for the rental car coverage for the entire time that your vehicle is receiving repairs|
Offers a 12-month policy option, instead of the standard 6-month policy
|Pet Coverage||Provides coverage for your pets|
|New Vehicle Replacement||Replaces your vehicle after a total loss in the first year of coverage with this plan|
|GAP Coverage||If the vehicle is considered a total loss and you owe more than it’s worth, AAA will pay off the remaining balance on the loan with this optional coverage|
If you are looking for a wide variety of plan options, from car insurance to great roadside assistance plans and more, you might consider getting a membership to AAA and checking out the policies.
Would an AAA policy be right for you? Learn more about AAA auto insurance in our review.
To see how these factors will affect your insurance premium specifically, call (855) 518-0148 or use this tool:
How To Add Teenagers To Your Car Insurance Policy
Once your teen receives a driver’s license, you have to begin preparing for the additional expense. As a two-car family, you are looking at a 58 percent average increase in rates, according to InCharge.org. As a three-car family, those numbers go even higher.
The reason for this increase is the additional risk that teenager drivers bring. Inexperienced teenagers are more likely to get into accidents, and according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the leading cause of death for teens is motor vehicle accidents. Every day, six teenagers between the ages of sixteen and nineteen will die due to a motor vehicle crash.
With higher rates, you need to take your time when shopping car insurance for teens. Once you find the provider you want to work with, though, adding your teenager isn’t difficult.
- Ask the company when it requires coverage. Some expect you to add the teen while driving with a permit, while others wait until your child has a license.
- Get quotes on your existing policy, but also consider changing the plan to one with higher liability protection.
- Remember to ask for discounts.
- Shop various providers every time you are up for renewal.
It’s often more cost-effective to add a teen driver to your policy instead of having them receive their own. Of course, this does increase your yearly premiums but saves your child money over the cost of a single policy. Most companies provide a family discount or lower rate when insuring multiple vehicles.
Another reason to add your teen to your policy is to receive coverage no matter what car they drive. If your teenager is involved in an at-fault accident, it won’t matter which one of the covered vehicles was damaged.
What Affects The Price Of Car Insurance?
As you evaluate the best car insurance for young adults, you will find that most companies use the same criteria when deciding the premiums. These factors determine most of the cost:
- Age: Teen drivers have less experience behind the wheel and therefore pose a higher risk.
- Credit score: Because creditworthiness is an excellent gauge of responsibility, the premiums rise the lower the credit score is. Unfortunately, most teens don’t have a credit history, which continues to put them at a disadvantage.
- Driving record: Your young driver doesn’t have a record to speak of. This lack of history makes it challenging for the insurance company to determine how high of a risk each person poses. To protect itself, the provider charges more than average to compensate.
- Vehicle: Driving a car with a good safety rating and advanced safety technology helps to lower the price. Car insurance companies also evaluate the type of car to determine how much it would cost to repair or replace.
- Location: Where you live plays a huge role in your premium. If you live in a city that puts you at risk for car theft, you will see higher rates than those in a rural area. Required coverage also varies by state.
- Demographics: According to USA Today, Women tend to pay less than men for car insurance during the teen years. In addition, you can expect to pay less if you have a college degree and are married, which isn’t usually the case for teenagers.
- Level of coverage: Finally, the insurance company factors in the level of protection you desire. If you choose the highest plan, you will pay more. In addition, your deductible will alter the price of your premium.
How To Get The Cheapest Car Insurance For Teens
Thankfully, there are steps you can take to ensure you receive cheap car insurance for young drivers. As you evaluate the top providers, you will find that many of them provide car insurance discounts to help you keep more money in your pocket. These driver discounts vary based on the company, but you want to look for options, such as:
|Good Student Discount||If your teen driver receives good grades, your provider might offer a discount. As one example, Geico provides a discount for anyone with a B average or higher.|
|Low Mileage Discount||While this discount is available to anyone, it is especially useful for teens that simply drive back and forth to school. Make sure your provider knows how many miles your child will be driving.|
|Student Away Discount||If your teen won’t be driving for a portion of the year while away at school, make sure you inform the provider to receive a lower rate. Some full-time students can earn a discount for the months when there isn’t any active driving.|
|Safe Driving Discount||Some providers now have apps and unique devices that allow for the monitoring of your teen’s driving habits. Not only will this technology help your child become more aware of what’s happening on the road, but it also allows you to receive a discount for their good behavior.|
Protect Your Vehicles And Your Teen
When it comes to saving money on a teen auto insurance policy, it might be tempting to lower the level coverage. While this is a way to save money upfront, consider the implications if your teenager gets into an accident.
It’s far better to go with mid- to high-level coverage and shop for the best rates for auto insurance for teens. You can do this by receiving multiple quotes from several different insurance providers. Once you have coverage in place, don’t forget to shop before every renewal to see if any new discounts have become available.
Check out our review articles that go into more detail about each provider.
Best Car Insurance for Teens and Young Drivers 2020:
- #1 USAA Car Insurance
- #2 Geico Auto Insurance
- #3 Progressive Car Insurance
- #4 AAA Car Insurance
- #5 State Farm Auto Insurance
- #6 Liberty Mutual Auto Insurance
Once you find the right car insurance for teens, you can ensure that both your loved ones and your automobiles are protected.
Use our tool below or call (855) 518-0148 to start comparing car insurance quotes.
Read our other insurance articles: