In our Travelers Insurance review, we score the company 4.5 out of 5.0 and name it Best Coverage Selection for 2022.
Many drivers appreciate the personal touch Travelers offers through its local agents. In this article, we summarize Travelers insurance reviews, costs, and coverage, detailing how the insurer compares to competitors.
Whenever you shop for car insurance, we recommend getting quotes from multiple providers so you can compare coverage and rates to find the best auto insurance for you. Many factors can influence the prices you find, so comparison shopping is the way to go.
In this article: Travelers Insurance Review: 4.5 Stars | Travelers Auto Insurance Cost | Travelers Auto Insurance Coverage | Travelers Auto Insurance Reviews | Travelers Technology/Apps | Other Top Choices For Car Insurance | FAQ: Travelers Insurance Reviews | Methodology
Travelers Insurance Review: 4.5 Stars
The bottom line? We rate Travelers 4.5 out of 5.0 stars and name it Best Coverage Selection in 2022. The provider is highly regarded by industry experts and offers a broad selection of coverage beyond the legal minimums. However, coverage isn't available in every state, and Travelers insurance reviews vary (though most report claims satisfaction). Coverage with Travelers is also generally more expensive than with other companies.
An auto insurance policy with Travelers is worth consideration for those looking for car insurance for teens because of its good student and new driver policy discounts. Motorists who prefer to speak with insurance agents instead of filing insurance claims online will also appreciate the numerous in-person options. That said, it is equally easy to file a claim online or via the Travelers mobile app if you prefer to do things digitally.
|Travelers Pros||Travelers Cons|
|A rating from the BBB and A++ financial strength rating from AM Best||Expensive coverage|
|New driver discounts||Mixed customer service reviews|
|Long new car replacement coverage||Some Android users report issues with the Travelers mobile app|
|Easy car insurance quotes process|
Travelers Auto Insurance Cost
According to our rate estimates, 35-year-old good drivers pay an average of $1,617 per year for Travelers insurance, which is about $135 per month. This is a bit cheaper than the national average of $1,732 per year. However, Travelers isn't the cheapest provider on average. Here's how Travelers compares to other major providers:
|Car Insurance Provider||Average Annual Cost Estimate||Average Monthly Cost Estimate|
The cost of a policy with any insurance company varies from person to person, sometimes significantly. This is why you need to compare personalized quotes from companies to know what you'd pay. The factors that impact the cost of car insurance include:
- Driving record
- Marital status
- Credit score
Here's how Travelers insurance costs can change depending on different driving profiles compared to the national average:
|Driving Profile||Monthly Travelers Cost Estimate||Monthly National Cost Estimate|
|Speeding ticket (age 35)||$171||$182|
|Accident (age 35)||$188||$220|
|DUI (age 35)||$211||$266|
|Poor credit (age 35)||$246||$260|
Car insurance prices change over time, and drivers can experience rate increases even without an obvious cause. We surveyed 1,000 insured drivers from a variety of companies. About 37 percent of Travelers drivers had experienced a rate increase without an obvious cause. Compared to other providers, this percentage was slightly less than average.
Is Travelers Insurance Expensive?
Travelers insurance rates are about 7 percent cheaper than the national average according to our estimates. So, Travelers is not an expensive company compared to what’s out there. However, other companies like USAA and Geico tend to be cheaper on average.
Travelers Car Insurance Cost By State
To provide readers with a relative idea of how much Travelers auto insurance costs, the table below shows full coverage Travelers rate estimates for a 35-year-old driver with a clean driving record and good credit. These prices are compared with average rates by state for the same driver.
|State||Travelers Annual Cost Estimate||Average Annual Cost Estimate|
While Travelers auto insurance is typically cheaper than the state average, it is rarely the cheapest coverage option, according to our cost data. Also, keep in mind that these numbers are intended to give you an idea of the cost and your rates may vary. The only way to find the cheapest car insurance company for you is to compare personalized quotes from insurers.
Travelers Auto Insurance Discounts
While Travelers auto insurance may initially seem more expensive than competitors, the insurance company offers several discounts that can help you save money:
- Multi-policy discount: Save up to 13 percent when you bundle your car insurance with a Travelers home insurance policy.
- Multi-car discount: Save up to 8 percent if you insure two or more cars through the same Travelers insurance policy.
- Homeownership discount: Save up to 5 percent on your car insurance if you own a home or condo, even if you insure it elsewhere.
- Safe driver discount: Save up to 10 percent if you have no accidents, minor violations, or major comprehensive claims for the past three years. The safe driving discount can also award up to 23 percent off if you have been accident-free for the past five years.
- Continuous insurance discount: Save up to 15 percent if you have no gaps in your coverage.
- Hybrid/electric vehicle discount: Save if you own or lease a hybrid car.
- New car discount: Save up to 10 percent when you purchase or own a car that is less than three years old.
- EFT, paid in full, and good payer discounts: Save up to 7.5 percent if you pay your policy in full, 2-3 percent by paying through electronic funds transfer (EFT) or payroll deduction, or up to 15 percent by consistently paying your premium on time.
- Early quote discount: Save 3-10 percent on your new Travelers insurance policy if you get an auto insurance quote before your current policy expires.
- Good student discount: Save up to 8 percent if one of the drivers on the policy is fully enrolled in high school or college and maintains a B average or better.
- Student away at school discount: Save up to 7 percent if one of the dependents on the policy goes to school at least 100 miles away and won’t be driving your cars.
- Driver training discount: Save up to 8 percent if you have successfully completed an approved driver education course.
Travelers Auto Insurance Coverage
Like most car insurance companies, Travelers offers the following types of auto insurance:
- Liability coverage (bodily injury and property damage): Covers vehicle damage and medical bills for other people in accidents you cause
- Collision coverage: Covers your car in accidents you cause
- Comprehensive car insurance: Covers environmental damage, theft, vandalism, and damage from collision with stationary objects
- Personal injury protection: Covers medical bills, lost wages, and funeral costs
- Medical payments: Covers your medical bills
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage: Covers your vehicle and medical bills if someone without enough insurance causes an accident
The amount of coverage you are legally required to carry varies by state. It’s important to note that these car insurance policies have payout limits and may not always cover the entirety of expenses incurred.
Besides standard coverage, Travelers car insurance offers the following coverage add-ons:
|Travelers Car Insurance||Coverage Details|
|Loan/lease gap insurance||This covers you in the event that your vehicle is totaled before the loan or lease is paid off.|
|Rental coverage||This provides rental reimbursement if your car isn’t drivable for more than 24 hours and you need to use a rental car.|
|Roadside assistance||Travelers provides roadside assistance and towing, giving you peace of mind in case of a breakdown or similar circumstance.|
|New car replacement||If you total a new car within five years of purchase, Travelers will cover the replacement cost for a brand-new car of the same make and model.|
|Accident forgiveness insurance||With the Responsible Driver PlanSM, Travelers will forgive one accident and minor traffic violation every 36 months. With the Premier Responsible Driver Plan®, Travelers will apply a $50 credit up to $500 to your deductible for every 6 months that all drivers on the plan are free of accidents or major traffic violations.|
|Ridesharing||This covers drivers who work for ridesharing companies like Uber and Lyft. Coverage is only available in Colorado and Illinois.|
|Named non-owner||This type of coverage is appropriate for those who don't regularly own vehicles but frequently rent or borrow them and/or use car-sharing services.|
Additional Coverage Options From Travelers Insurance
Aside from auto insurance, Travelers offers the following insurance products:
- Homeowners insurance
- Renters insurance
- Condo insurance
- Personal property coverage (for items such as furniture, clothing, and electronics)
- Boat and yacht insurance
- Landlord insurance
- Umbrella insurance
- Jewelry and valuable items coverage
- Wedding and events insurance
According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), Travelers homeowners insurance is fourth-most popular in the country. Standard coverage options include personal property, liability, loss of use, and more. If you have an environmentally friendly home, Travelers can cover the cost to use specific green materials in repairs after a loss.
Travelers Insurance Claims Number
If you have a Travelers insurance policy and need to file a claim, you can call 800-252-4633. You can also file your claim through the Travelers website or the Travelers mobile app.
Travelers Auto Insurance Reviews
Overall, most customers have positive experiences with Travelers auto insurance. We'll break down Travelers' ratings and reputation here.
Is Travelers An A-Rated Company?
Travelers has an A++ rating for financial strength from AM Best, and it has fewer than the median number of complaints for its size according to the NAIC. The insurance company has a long track record of customer satisfaction.
Travelers also has an A rating with the BBB. However, some Travelers insurance reviews are not so positive — Travelers has a BBB customer rating of 1.1 out of 5.0 stars.
Positive Travelers Insurance Reviews
There are many Travelers insurance reviews that mention helpful agents and a smooth claims process. Comments like the one below are common:
“Been with Travelers for probably 30 years for auto insurance. Have made three claims for totaled cars. They have been excellent to deal with, responsive, informative, and fair. So far, I'm very happy with them.”
– David A. via BBB
Negative Travelers Insurance Reviews
Negative Travelers insurance reviews typically mention a frustrating claims process.
“My family has been Travelers customers for over 18 years! Now, it is becoming time for me to move onto my own car insurance plan. Today I have been on hold for over two hours to get any kind of help ... As a note to possible clients of Travelers, please don't waste your time.”
– Matt via BBB
It’s not uncommon for an insurer to have positive and negative reviews about the claims process. Especially with a larger insurance company like Travelers, there are bound to be complaints. To judge an insurer, we look at individual complaints as well as NAIC complaint reports.
Travelers Insurance Complaints
Travelers receives fewer complaints than most companies of its size and with its market share. According to the NAIC, the company has fewer complaints than the industry average for its size.
However, Travelers insurance reviews are not the best in the industry. Because the company relies on local agents, experiences may vary by location.
According to our car insurance survey, 34 percent of Travelers customers were very dissatisfied with the company overall. However, fewer than 50 respondents on the survey were Travelers customers, so the sample size was not large enough to draw broad conclusions.
Travelers NAIC Number
The NAIC number for Travelers is 25674. This number can be used to look up Travelers on the NAIC website to read reports about complaint trends and the insurer's financial overview.
Is Travelers A Big Insurance Company?
According to the NAIC, Travelers is the seventh-largest car insurance company in the country with about a three-percent market share. It’s also the fourth-largest property and casualty company overall, which includes homeowners and commercial insurance.
The Travelers mobile app allows customers to manage their policies, make payments, display auto insurance cards, request roadside assistance, and file claims. Many of the best insurers have mobile apps with similar features.
Travelers Mobile has a 4.0 out of 5.0-star rating in Google Play and a 4.7 out of 5.0-star rating on the App Store.
Usage-Based Insurance With Travelers
The Travelers IntelliDrive® program can be used by policyholders in several states to monitor their driving habits in exchange for reduced premiums. IntelliDrive is a 90-day program that tracks things like time of day, speed, acceleration, and braking while you drive. This tracking is done through the Travelers IntelliDrive app.
Travelers IntelliDrive has a 4.1 out of 5.0 rating in Google Play and a 4.5 out of 5.0 rating in the App Store, which are good scores for this type of app. Even several of the top insurers, like Geico, typically receive lower scores for their usage-based apps, which sometimes inaccurately report driving data.
Most IntelliDrive users appear to appreciate the service and were able to get their insurance premiums reduced because of their driving habits.
Other Top Choices For Car Insurance
In our review of the best car insurance companies, a few providers stood out above the rest. Here are the companies we recommend looking into for car insurance:
State Farm Car Insurance: Best For Students
State Farm has the largest market share in the auto insurance industry and is well known for its low car insurance rates and very quick claim payouts. After conducting our research, we ranked it the best auto insurance provider for students and one of the best for teens, largely due to its Steer Clear program, which helps drivers under 25 save on car insurance costs.
To learn more, read our full State Farm auto insurance review.
Geico Car Insurance: Best Overall
Geico is the second-largest car insurance provider in the United States after State Farm. The company focuses on providing a streamlined online quote and claims experience, which is great for those who prefer taking care of business digitally. We rated Geico as one of our top choices for students and military personnel.
To learn more, read our full Geico auto insurance review.
USAA Auto Insurance: Best For Military
USAA provides auto insurance exclusively to military personnel, veterans, and their families. Its average annual car insurance payments are quite low, offering the best rates for many drivers. Given that it is entirely focused on serving the military, USAA provides coverage that fits the needs of military personnel very well.
To learn more, read our full USAA auto insurance review.
Progressive Car Insurance: Best For High-Risk Drivers
Progressive is a very tech-centric insurance company. In fact, it even offers insurance discounts to motorists who choose to go paperless and sign their policies online. It also tends to offer some of the lowest average rates to high-risk drivers in particular. Progressive is a good insurance option with many bundling and discount opportunities.
To learn more, read our full Progressive auto insurance review.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews auto insurance rate estimates generated by Quadrant Information Services for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read our other insurance articles:
- AIG Auto Insurance Review
- Meemic Auto Insurance Review
- Accurate Auto Insurance Review
- Foremost Auto Insurance Review
- 21st Century Auto Insurance Review
- The Hartford Insurance Review
- Jupiter Car Insurance Review
- Zurich Car Insurance Review
- Mercer Auto Insurance Review