Travelers is one of the biggest names in the auto insurance industry, and its focus on in-person interactions with insurance agents makes it an attractive choice for motorists who feel that the digital age has lost that all-important personal touch. In this article, we explain Travelers insurance reviews, cost, and coverage, detailing how the insurer compares to the competition.
Whenever you shop for car insurance, we recommend getting quotes from multiple providers so you can compare coverage and rates. In addition to the insurance company you choose, factors such as your age, vehicle make and model, and driving history can affect your premium, so what’s best for your neighbor might not be best for you.
In this article:
- Our Take On Travelers: 4.0 Stars
- Travelers Auto Insurance Coverage
- Travelers Auto Insurance Cost And Discounts
- Travelers Insurance Reviews
- Other Top Choices For Car Insurance
- FAQ: Travelers Insurance Reviews
Our Take On Travelers: 4.0 Stars
We rate Travelers 4.0 out of 5.0 stars. The provider is highly regarded by industry experts and offers a broad selection of coverage beyond the legal minimums. However, coverage isn't available in every state, and Travelers insurance reviews are hit or miss. Coverage with Travelers is also generally more expensive than other companies.
An auto insurance policy with Travelers is worth consideration for those looking for car insurance for teens because of its good student and new driver policy discounts. Motorists who prefer to speak with insurance agents instead of filing insurance claims online will also appreciate the numerous in-person options. That said, it is equally easy to file a claim online or via the Travelers mobile app if you prefer to do things digitally.
|Rating of A from the BBB and A++ financial strength rating from AM Best||Expensive coverage|
|New driver discounts||Mixed customer service reviews|
|Long new car replacement coverage||Some Android users report issues with the Travelers mobile app|
|Easy quote process|
Travelers Auto Insurance Coverage
Like most car insurance companies, Travelers offers the following types of auto insurance:
- Liability coverage
- Collision coverage
- Comprehensive car insurance
- Personal injury protection
- Medical payments
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage
The amount of coverage you are legally required to have varies by state. It’s important to note that these auto insurance policies have payout limits and may not always cover the entirety of expenses incurred.
Besides standard coverage, Travelers car insurance offers the following coverage add-ons and optional policies:
|Travelers Car Insurance||Coverage Details|
|Loan/lease gap insurance||This covers you in the event that your vehicle is totaled before the loan or lease is paid off.|
|Rental coverage||This provides rental reimbursement if your car isn’t drivable for more than 24 hours and you need to use a rental car.|
|Roadside assistance||Travelers provides roadside assistance and towing, giving you peace of mind in case of a breakdown or similar circumstance.|
|New car replacement||If you total a new car within five years of purchase, Travelers will replace it with a brand-new car of the same make and model.|
|Accident forgiveness insurance||
With the Responsible Driver Plan, Travelers will forgive one accident and minor traffic violation every 36 months. With the Premier Responsible Driver Plan®, Travelers will apply a $50 credit up to $500 to your deductible for every 6 months that all drivers on the plan are free of an accident or major traffic violation.
This type of coverage is appropriate for those who don't regularly own vehicles but frequently rent or borrow them and/or use car-sharing services.
Aside from auto insurance, Travelers offers the following insurance products:
- Homeowners insurance
- Renters insurance
- Condo insurance
- Boat and yacht insurance
- Landlord insurance
- Umbrella insurance
- Jewelry and valuable items coverage
- Wedding and events insurance
Travelers Auto Insurance Cost And Discounts
The cost of a policy with any insurance company varies from person to person, sometimes by a lot. This is why it’s difficult to get a cost estimate from any insurer without requesting an individualized quote. The factors that impact the cost of car insurance include:
- Driving record
- Marital status
- Credit score
To provide readers with a relative idea of how much Travelers auto insurance costs, the table below shows Travelers quote estimates for a 35-year-old driver with a clean driving record and good credit. These prices are compared with average rates by state for the same driver.
|State||Travelers Annual Cost Estimate||Average Annual Cost Estimate|
While Travelers auto insurance is typically cheaper than the state average, it is rarely the cheapest coverage option, according to our cost data. Also keep in mind that these numbers are intended to give you an idea of the cost and your own rates may vary. The only way to find the cheapest car insurance company for you is to compare personalized quotes from insurers.
While Travelers auto insurance may initially seem more expensive than competitors, the insurance company offers several discounts that can lower your monthly insurance premium:
- Multi-policy discount: Save up to 13 percent when you bundle your car insurance with a Travelers home insurance policy.
- Multi-car discount: Save up to 8 percent if your household insures two or more cars through the same Travelers insurance policy.
- Home ownership discount: Save up to 5 percent on your car insurance if you own a home or condo, even if you insure it elsewhere.
- Safe driver discount: Save up to 10 percent if you have no accidents, minor violations, or major comprehensive claims for the past three years. Save up to 23 percent if you have been accident-free for the past five years.
- Continuous insurance discount: Save up to 15 percent if you have no gaps in your coverage.
- Hybrid/electric vehicle discount: Save if you own or lease a hybrid car.
- New car discount: Save up to 10 percent when you purchase or own a car that is less than three years old.
- EFT, paid in full, and good payer discounts: Save up to 7.5 percent if you pay your policy in full, 2-3 percent by paying through electronic funds transfer (EFT) or payroll deduction, or up to 15 percent by consistently paying your premium on time.
- Early quote discount: Save 3-10 percent on your new Travelers insurance policy if you get an auto insurance quote before your current policy expires.
- Good student discount: Save up to 8 percent if one of the drivers on the policy is fully enrolled in high school or college and maintains a B average or better.
- Student away at school discount: Save up to 7 percent if one of the dependents on the policy goes to school at least 100 miles away and won’t be driving your cars.
- Driver training discount: Save up to 8 percent if you have successfully completed an approved driver education course.
Travelers Insurance Reviews
Travelers has an A++ rating for financial strength from AM Best, and it has fewer than the median number of complaints for similarly sized agencies according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC). The insurance company has a long track record of customer satisfaction.
Travelers also has an A rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). However, some Travelers insurance reviews are not so positive – Travelers has a BBB customer rating of 1.13 out of 5.0 stars.
Positive Travelers Insurance Reviews
There are many Travelers insurance reviews that mention helpful agents and a smooth claims process. Comments like the one below are common:
“Been with Travelers for probably 30 years for auto insurance. Have made three claims for totaled cars. They have been excellent to deal with, responsive, informative, and fair. So far, I'm very happy with them.”
– David A via BBB
Negative Travelers Insurance Reviews
Negative Travelers insurance reviews typically mention a frustrating claims process.
“My family has been Travelers customers for over 18 years! Now, it is becoming time for me to move onto my own car insurance plan. Today I have been on hold for over two hours to get any kind of help ... As a note to possible clients of Travelers, please don't waste your time.”
– Matt via BBB
It’s not uncommon for an insurer to have positive and negative reviews about the claims process. Especially with a nationwide insurance company like Travelers, there are bound to be complaints. To judge an insurer, we look at individual complaints as well as NAIC complaint reports.
Travelers Insurance Complaints
Travelers receives fewer complaints than most companies of its size and for its market share. However, Travelers insurance reviews are not the best in the industry either. Because the company relies on local agents, experiences may vary by location.
The Travelers mobile app allows customers to manage their policies, make payments, display auto insurance cards, request roadside assistance, and file claims. Many of the best insurers have mobile apps with similar features.
Travelers Mobile has a 3.5 out of 5.0 star rating in Google Play and a 4.7 out of 5.0 star rating on the Apple App Store. This Google Play rating is a bit low for an app of this kind. Several users have noted difficulty getting the app to work on their Android devices.
Usage-Based Insurance With Travelers
The Travelers IntelliDrive® program can be used by policyholders in several states to monitor their driving habits in exchange for reduced premiums. IntelliDrive is a 90-day program that tracks things like time of day, speed, acceleration, and braking while you drive. This tracking is done through the Travelers IntelliDrive app.
Travelers IntelliDrive has a 4.3 out of 5.0 rating in Google Play and a 4.5 out of 5.0 rating in the Apple App Store. These scores are good for this type of app. Even several of the top insurers, like Geico, typically receive lower scores for their usage-based apps, which sometimes inaccurately report driving data.
Most IntelliDrive users appear to appreciate the service and were able to get their premiums reduced because of their driving habits.
Other Top Choices For Car Insurance
In our review of the best car insurance providers, there were few that stood out above the rest. Here are the companies we recommend looking into for car insurance:
State Farm: Best For Students
State Farm has the largest market share in the auto insurance industry and is well known for its low car insurance rates and very quick claim payouts. After conducting our research, we ranked it the best auto insurance provider for students and one of the best for teens, largely due to its Steer Clear program, which helps drivers under 25 save on car insurance costs.
To learn more, read our full State Farm auto insurance review.
Geico: Best Overall
Geico is the second-largest car insurance provider in the United States after State Farm. The company focuses on providing a streamlined online quote and claims experience, which is great for those who prefer taking care of business digitally. We rated Geico as one of our top choices for students and military personnel.
To learn more, read our full Geico auto insurance review.
USAA: Best For Military
USAA provides auto insurance exclusively to military personnel, veterans, and their families. Its average annual car insurance payments are quite low, making it a fantastic choice. Given that it is entirely focused on serving the military, USAA provides coverage that fits military personnel’s needs very well. We recommended it as the best choice overall with 5 out of 5 stars.
To learn more, read our full USAA auto insurance review.
Progressive: Best For High-Risk Drivers
Progressive is a very tech-centric insurance company. In fact, it even offers insurance discounts to motorists who choose to go paperless and sign their policies online. This makes it a great choice for those who prefer interfacing with a computer. Progressive is a good insurance option with lots of discount opportunities and opportunities for bundling.
To learn more, read our full Progressive auto insurance review.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews auto insurance rate estimates generated by Quadrant Information Services for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read our other insurance articles:
- AIG Auto Insurance Review
- Meemic Auto Insurance Review
- Accurate Auto Insurance Review
- Foremost Auto Insurance Review
- 21st Century Auto Insurance Review
- The Hartford Insurance Review
- Jupiter Car Insurance Review
- Zurich Car Insurance Review
- Mercer Auto Insurance Review