Read our Mercury insurance review to find out if it is viable option for you to switch over to. If you live in California or one of 10 other states, you might qualify for Mercury car insurance. Here, we will explore Mercury car insurance coverage, customer satisfaction, and more.
Whenever you shop for car insurance, we recommend getting quotes from multiple providers so you can compare coverage and rates. In addition to the car insurance company you choose, factors such as your age, vehicle make and model, and driving history can affect your insurance premium, so what’s best for your neighbor might not be best for you.
In this article:
- Mercury Car Insurance Overview
- About Mercury Insurance
- Mercury Car Insurance Plans
- How Much Does Mercury Insurance Cost?
- How Mercury Car Insurance Works
- Mercury Insurance Reviews
- Our Take On Mercury Car Insurance: 3.0 Stars
- Other Recommended Insurance Companies
Mercury Car Insurance Overview
- Mercury Insurance is currently only available in 11 states.
- Mercury offers comparable policies to other popular insurance companies, plus add-ons for rideshare vehicles and mechanical breakdowns.
- Mercury has competitive rates and discounts for good drivers.
- Mercury receives mixed reviews for its claims processing.
About Mercury Insurance
Mercury Insurance, a subsidiary of Mercury General Corporation based in Los Angeles, California, has provided comprehensive car insurance since 1962. It’s the leading independent agency writer of car and home insurance in California, accounting for 80 percent of the company’s total revenue. Mercury car insurance is also available in Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Texas, and Virginia.
Mercury promotes itself as providing competitive rates and excellent customer service. The company works through a force of over 8,000 independent agents, plus provides 24/7 policy and claims service online and over the phone.
The provider’s record of success shows in its standings with many national agencies. In fact, Mercury has earned an A rating from A.M. Best and an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB). Forbes named Mercury one of “America’s Most Trustworthy Companies.”
In addition to auto insurance, Mercury also offers these insurance products:
- Home insurance
- Condo insurance
- Renters insurance
- Landlord insurance
- Umbrella insurance
- Business auto insurance
- Business insurance
Mercury Insurance Costs
Although pricing varies based on your location, car model, elected coverage, and driving record, Mercury insurance reviews highlight low prices compared to other insurance providers. The Mercury website states that some drivers have saved hundreds of dollars on premiums and deductibles upon switching to Mercury from another company.
Like all insurance companies, Mercury uses a formula based on a number of factors about you and your vehicle to determine your premiums. These include:
- Driving record
- Credit history
- Make and model of your vehicle
To help you see how these factors affect your premiums, here are some national average estimates from top insurance providers for drivers of different profiles.
|Car Insurance Company||Annual Rate Estimate|
|Car Insurance Company||Annual Rate Estimate|
|Car Insurance Company||Annual Rate Estimate|
Mercury Insurance Discounts
Drivers can save with the following insurance discounts:
- Mercury RealDrive®: Mercury offers a specialty discount plan based on mileage. Customers receive a 5 percent discount for enrolling in the program, then have access to discounted rates based on reported mileage.
- Anti-theft feature discount: Mercury offers this discount to drivers who install an anti-theft device in their vehicles.
- Autopay discount: Drivers who prove to be reliable by paying on time each month through an auto-pay system enjoy a discount.
- E-signature discount: Since electronic signatures save time, Mercury offers discounts to those who elect to use an e-signature.
- Good driver discount: This discount applies to drivers who go a specified period of time without getting into an accident or receiving a ticket.
- Good student discount: Mercury offers this discount to students and families of students who perform well in school. Proof of student performance may be required.
- Multi-car discount: Policyholders with more than one vehicle on their car insurance policy receive a discount.
- Multi-policy discount: Policyholders receive a discount for bundling their car and home insurance through Mercury.
- Pay in full discount: Mercury reduces rates for customers who pay for an entire term upfront instead of in monthly installments.
Mercury Car Insurance Plans
Even the most responsible drivers need car insurance. Most states require that all drivers at least carry state-mandated amounts of bodily injury liability and property damage liability coverage. Luckily, Mercury provides a variety of coverage, along with various perks and discounts.
What Mercury Insurance Offers
Mercury Insurance offers bodily injury liability (BI), property damage liability (PD), collision coverage, comprehensive coverage, medical payments coverage, personal injury protection, and uninsured motorist coverage. Read our full article to learn more about the standard types of car insurance.
In addition to the traditional options for coverage, Mercury auto insurance has the following add-ons:
- Mercury mechanical protection: This optional add-on works similarly to an extended auto warranty. Mercury Mechanical Protection includes coverage for major failures like transmission problems with coverage terms up to 7 years or 100,000 miles.
- Ride-hailing coverage: Unlike some auto insurance companies, Mercury offers add-on coverage for customers who drive for rideshare companies like Uber or Lyft for as little as 90 cents per day.
- Rental car coverage: This add-on reimburses a driver for the cost of a rental vehicle in the event of an accident. Mercury offers coverage options ranging from $30 to $100 per day for a maximum of 30 days per incident.
- Roadside assistance: This service covers roadside needs like towing, battery charging, tire changes, and locksmith services. Insurance customers can select coverage ranging from $75 to $1,000 per occurrence.
Mercury Insurance Reviews
Many customer reviews praise Mercury Insurance for low rates and positive customer service interactions. With that being said, Mercury’s claims processing seems to receive mixed reviews from consumers. J.D. Power backs up these reports in the 2019 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study, where Mercury received a score of 2 out of 5 for claim servicing and a score of 2 out of 5 for overall satisfaction with the claims experience.
Here’s a look at what some customers have to say about Mercury car insurance.
Positive Mercury Insurance Reviews
“I just opened my new policy renewal and my rates actually went down! Thank you, Mercury. Now I can afford to buy some more stuff for my truck.”
-Heather via Trustpilot
"I have had various companies provide my auto & home-owners insurance over the years. Mercury is, by far, the best."
- Brian S. via Yelp
Negative Mercury Insurance Reviews
“We have cancelled all 3 of our insurance policies with Mercury (2 auto and 1 homeowners) because of the terrible customer service experience we've had. It's unacceptable that our claim wasn't approved and paid out as it should have been… We had been Mercury customers for 15 years, and saw no appreciation for our loyalty.”
-Drew via Trustpilot
"Avoid this insurance company at all cost. Rates may be low, but if you have a claim they will do anything to weasel their way out of paying a claim. They have zero consideration for customers."
- Juan S. via Yelp
How Mercury Car Insurance Works
Mercury has a network of independent agents across the 11 states where the company provides coverage. An easy-to-use website allows customers to obtain quotes, view and change policies, make payments, and file claims with just a few clicks.
Potential customers can obtain a quote in minutes via the website or by calling in. All drivers need to obtain a quote is personal information including address and driver’s license, vehicle information, and an idea of what coverage options they’d like. Customers can also obtain quotes through local agents.
To compare your Mercury car insurance quote to those of other insurance companies, call (844) 246-8209 or use this easy tool:
Mercury Car Insurance Claims
Mercury runs a 24/7 claims hotline where customers can call to report accidents and file claims anytime. The provider recommends that you complete a claims checklist before calling, as this will help save you time on the phone. When you call, you’ll speak with a customer service representative who will gather information about your incident. The representative will explain any relevant policy coverage and help locate one of Mercury’s preferred body shops. If needed, the representative will also arrange for towing services and rental car reservations.
Our Take On Mercury Insurance: 3.0 Stars
We rated Mercury 3.0 out of 5.0 stars. Mercury insurance has competitive car insurance rates and a variety of discounts, but coverage is only available in 11 states and Mercury insurance reviews are mixed. Overall, we recommend looking into other insurance providers.
|Competitive rates||Only available in 11 states|
|Discounts for good drivers||Mixed reviews about claims process|
|A+ rating from the BBB|
|Can obtain quotes online or on the phone|
When it comes to claims processing and overall customer satisfaction, Mercury car insurance seems to fall in the middle of the pack. It’s probably worth shopping around and comparing all your options before committing to Mercury.
Other Recommended Insurance Companies
We recently compared 12 of the country’s best car insurance companies to help you make an informed decision about protecting your vehicle. Here are two of our top picks based on coverage options, financial strength, customer satisfaction, and more.
Geico: Best Overall
Geico is one of the nation’s largest car insurance companies. The provider has a great reputation for customer service and was ranked sixth for claims satisfaction among auto insurers by J.D. Power's 2019 U.S Auto Claims Satisfaction Study, which is no easy feat.
Like many top providers, Geico offers services like rideshare coverage, rental car reimbursement, and roadside assistance. An abundance of discounts are available, helping you save even more. If you’re looking for an affordable and reliable auto insurance policy, Geico might be a great choice for you. Read our Geico review to find out more.
Progressive: Best For High-Risk Drivers
Progressive, the nation's third-largest car insurance provider, is best known for its creative commercials featuring Flo. While these ads definitely catch attention, there’s more to consider when it comes to obtaining great car insurance.
Progressive has an extensive range of coverage options, including add-ons for ridesharing, custom parts coverage, and gap insurance. With Progressive's Name Your Price® tool, you can compare coverage side-by-side to find the best insurance for your budget. Progressive also offers a number of discounts and rewards for loyal drivers who remain accident-free. Read our Progressive insurance review for more information.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews auto insurance rate estimates generated by Quadrant Information Services for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read our other insurance articles: