Find out which providers go above and beyond to offer the best coverage.
Finding the best car insurance can be frustrating. Every insurer claims to have the lowest price and superior customer service, but they can’t all be the best. To help you get a clear understanding of the car insurance market, we ranked dozens of popular car insurance companies on the following categories:
- Financial strength
- Customer service
- Costs and discounts
This review takes a closer look at the 15 providers that came out on top and this list may shift as we review new providers and company details change.
There is no one best car insurance provider for every driver, which is why we recommend getting quotes from several companies. Along with the company you choose, your rate is affected by factors like your age, vehicle make and model, and driving history, so it’s important to compare quotes to ensure you get the best car insurance coverage and price.
Use our tool below or call our team at (844) 246-8209 to start comparing car insurance quotes:
In this article:
- The 15 Best Car Insurance Companies Of 2021
- Car Insurance Cost Factors
- Finding Cheap Car Insurance Coverage
- Final Thoughts On The Best Car Insurance
- FAQ About Car Insurance
The 15 Best Car Insurance Companies Of 2021
Out of the over 30 car insurance providers that we reviewed, these are the 15 that came out at the top of our list of the best car insurance companies of 2021:
|Best Car Insurance of 2021||Superlatives||Motor1 Rating||Customer Service Rating||Affordability Rating||Coverage Rating|
|#1 USAA Car Insurance||Best for Military||5.0||5.0||4.5||4.5|
|#2 Geico Car Insurance||Best Overall||4.5||4.0||4.0||4.0|
|#3 State Farm Auto Insurance||Best for Students||4.5||3.5||4.0||4.0|
|#4 Progressive Car Insurance||Best for High-Risk Drivers||4.5||3.5||3.5||4.0|
|#5 AAA Car Insurance||Best for AAA Members||4.0||4.5||4.0||4.0|
|Best for Teens||4.0||3.5||3.5||4.5|
|Best Local Service||4.0||3.5||3.0||4.0|
|#8 The Hartford Auto Insurance||Best for AARP Members||4.0||3.5||4.0||4.5|
|#9 Nationwide Car Insurance||Best for Seniors||4.0||3.5||3.5||4.5|
|#10 Farmers Auto Insurance||4.0||3.5||3.0||4.0|
|#11 Travelers Auto Insurance||4.0||3.5||3.5||4.5|
|#12 Root Auto Insurance||Best Usage-Based Insurance||4.0||4.0||4.5||3.5|
|#13 Erie Auto Insurance||4.0||4.5||4.5||4.0|
|#14 American Family Insurance||4.0||3.5||4.0||4.5|
|#15 MetLife Auto Insurance||4.0||3.5||3.5||4.0|
#1 USAA: Best Car Insurance For Military Families
We rated USAA the highest among car insurance providers, although it’s not available to everyone. USAA policies are only available to military members and their families. To qualify, you must be a member of the armed services or must have a parent, grandparent, or spouse with a USAA membership.
AM Best Financial Strength Rating: A++
Cost: USAA tends to offer the lowest rates overall, and that’s what makes it one of the best auto insurance companies on the market. Additionally, USAA has great car insurance discounts for veterans.
Coverage: On top of the standard options for car insurance, which we will be diving into below, USAA also offers:
- Roadside assistance: Roadside assistance adds coverage for emergency towing, lockout services, gas delivery, and spare tire installation.
- Rental reimbursement: This option pays toward a rental car after you file a covered insurance claim.
- Accident forgiveness: In some states, USAA members can purchase an accident forgiveness option that protects their rates after one accident.
- Other insurance products: USAA offers numerous insurance products, including USAA motorcycle insurance as well as rideshare, boat, renters, homeowners, collectible, flood, vision, pet, and life insurance.
Customer Service: USAA was not eligible for ranking in the J.D. Power 2020 U.S. Auto Insurance Satisfaction StudySM. However, the insurer was included in the study and scored highest for customer satisfaction in every single region surveyed.
|Affordable rates and numerous discounts||
Only available for military and their families
|Good option for military members and young drivers||
|Superior financial ratings from AM Best||
To learn more about this car insurance provider, check out our full review of USAA insurance.
#2 Geico: Best Overall Car Insurance
For the majority of drivers, there’s Geico auto insurance. The company offers some of the most competitive prices on the market, and it’s one of the best auto insurance options available nationwide.
AM Best Financial Strength Rating: A++
Cost: Typical rates from Geico are between $1,000 and $1,600 per year, which is pretty good. These are average rates, so your specific quote might be different. Your rate can be affected by the state you live in and the car you drive, as well as your driving history and credit score. If you can’t get USAA, you’ll probably find the best car insurance rates from Geico.
Coverage: In addition to standard car insurance, GEICO also offers:
- Roadside assistance: Through Geico’s Emergency Road Service, drivers can request roadside assistance right in an app. It includes coverage for towing, jump starts, flat tire changes, and lockout services.
- Rental reimbursement: This option helps pay rental car costs when your car is being repaired after a claim. Enterprise Rent-A-Car bills Geico directly under this arrangement.
- Mechanical breakdown insurance (MBI): MBI is similar to an extended car warranty, except you pay for it with your auto insurance policy. This program covers repairs for all mechanical parts, though it doesn’t cover maintenance or regular wear and tear. MBI is available for vehicles under 15 months or 15,000 miles, and it can be renewed annually up to 7 years or 100,000 miles.
- Other insurance products: Geico offers many kinds of insurance, including boat, rideshare, condo, mobile home, landlord, professional liability, overseas, and jewelry insurance.
Customer Service: Geico also has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and scored well in the 2020 J.D. Power Satisfaction Study. It ranked first in the North Central, Northwest, and Southwest regions. GEICO ranked in the top three in Central region, Florida, New England, New York, and Texas.
|A+ rating from the BBB and A++ financial strength rating from AM Best||
Average quote experience
|Many choice for coverage||
|High level of customer satisfaction||
|Available in 50 states|
To learn more about this car insurance provider, check out our full Geico review.
#3 State Farm: Best Car Insurance For Students
State Farm is the largest car insurer in the U.S., with a market share of 17 percent according to the NAIC, and it currently services over 83 million policies.
AM Best Financial Strength Rating: A
Cost: State Farm rates are competitive and can be especially low for those that can take advantage of their special discount programs:
- Drive Safe & Save™: This is State Farm’s usage-based insurance app. If you score high enough, you can get up to a 30 percent discount on your premium. The app tracks things like cornering, hard braking, acceleration, and phone use while driving. It can only give you a discount – it can’t raise your rates for bad driving.
- Steer ClearⓇ: This is an educational app available for drivers under the age of 25. Drivers complete in-app courses, log progress with a mentor, complete driving hours, and receive a certification. All that translates into a discount, which is why we think State Farm is the best auto insurance option for students.
Coverage: With State Farm, you can get standard auto insurance policies as well as the following additional coverages:
- Roadside assistance: With this option, State Farm will cover up to one hour of labor at the breakdown site, fluid delivery, spare tire installation, jump starts, towing, and lockout services.
- Car rental expense: This option pays for a rental car while your car is in the shop for a covered repair. You can choose the limits of this policy.
- Travel expense: State Farm will pay up to $500 for food, lodging, and travel if you get into a car accident more than 50 miles from home. This option also includes a trip to retrieve your vehicle.
- Rental deductible: State Farm will pay up to $500 toward your deductible if you get into an auto accident while driving a rental car.
- Other insurance products: Other coverages through State Farm include rideshare, boat, home, life, rental property, and health insurance.
Customer Service: State Farm has an A rating from the BBB, though its reviews on the BBB and Trustpilot are mixed. In the 2020 J.D. Power Satisfaction Study, State Farm ranked in the top three in California and New England, and ranked number one in the Mid-Atlantic region and New York.
|Comprehensive coverage offerings||
Reported errors with autopay
|Extensive selection of discounts||
Not available for new customers in Massachusetts or Rhode Island
|Positive customer reviews||
|Easy online quotes process|
|A+ rating from the BBB|
To learn more about this car insurance provider, check out our review of State Farm auto insurance.
#4 Progressive: Best Car Insurance For High-Risk Drivers
In fourth place in our best car insurance comparison is Progressive. This company has been around since 1937 and has introduced many insurance firsts over the years. For example, Progressive was the first to allow people to purchase insurance plans online in the 1990s. Progressive wrote over $31 billion in premiums in 2019, according to the NAIC.
AM Best Financial Strength Rating: A+
Cost: According to Progressive’s website, customers generally pay between $1,500 and $2,000 per year for auto insurance, which is a bit higher than Geico’s estimate. Progressive also has a few notable money-saving features:
- Deductible savings bank: Save $50 toward your next deductible for each six-month period without a claim.
- Snapshot: Get a discount for being a good driver through Snapshot – but be careful, because poor driving can increase your rate.
- Bundling: Save by adding another type of insurance to your plan with Progressive, like home, renters, or condo insurance.
Also, Progressive tends to be a little more affordable than Geico for drivers who have a DUI/DWI on record. This is why we think it offers the best high-risk auto insurance.
Coverage: In addition to standard coverage options, Progressive offers the following insurance products:
- Roadside assistance: This adds on coverage for towing, lockout services, fuel delivery, and spare tire installation.
- Loan/lease payoff: With this option, Progressive will pay an additional 25 percent of your car’s value toward its outstanding lease amount if collision compensation isn’t enough after a total loss.
- Rental reimbursement: This option grants $30 to $50 per day for a rental while your car is in the shop after a covered claim.
- Custom parts and equipment value: This covers aftermarket parts on your car, like a sound system, and pays for repairs in the event of a car accident.
- Other insurance products: Progressive offers numerous insurance options, including Progressive motorcycle insurance as well as ATV, classic car, golf cart, homeowners, ID theft, travel, rideshare, and umbrella insurance.
Customer Service: In the 2020 J.D. Power Satisfaction Study, Progressive ranked in the top three in Texas. The provider has an A+ rating from the BBB, though it does not generally rank as high for customer satisfaction as USAA or GEICO.
|One of the top auto insurers in the United States||
Average claims process
|A+ financial strength rating from the AM Best||
Mixed customer service reviews
|Great choice for high-risk drivers||
|Several money-saving features|
To learn more about this car insurance provider, check out our review of Progressive car insurance.
#5 AAA: Best Car Insurance For AAA Members
AAA is also another great option in our roundup of the best car insurance providers for 2021. With roots that go back to 1902, the company has provided a number of different auto products over the decades. Most people today recognize AAA as a leader in roadside assistance, but the company can also give drivers a great car insurance experience.
AM Best Financial Strength Rating: A+
Cost: In order to get AAA car insurance, you need to be a roadside assistance member. While becoming one is affordable – plans can cost between $50 and $100 per year – you might have to double up on roadside coverage if you already have a provider for that. Once you are a member, insurance costs can vary by region but tend to be competitive with other insurers.
Coverage: In addition to standard car insurance AAA offers the following car insurance coverage options:
- Roadside assistance: All AAA auto insurance policyholders are required to carry AAA roadside assistance coverage, which is extensive. Higher membership levels include ID theft monitoring, home locksmiths, a tow up to 200 miles, and trip interruption benefits.
- Enhanced total loss replacement: With this coverage, AAA will pay for a new car replacement if your car is totaled.
- Loan/lease gap: Gap insurance covers the difference between your outstanding loan and the amount that your collision coverage provides after a total loss.
- Enhanced exterior repair: This option ensures that only original equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts will be used in repairing the exterior of your car.
- Other insurance products: AAA offers a number of insurance options, including AAA motorcycle insurance as well as life, home, renters, boat, flood, and RV insurance.
Note: AAA auto insurance is made up of multiple companies across the United States, so options can differ between territories.
Customer Service: AAA car insurance is really made up of a number of different companies. CSAA Insurance Group, the Auto Club Group, and Auto Club Enterprises Insurance Group are a few of the larger organizations that are part of the AAA auto insurance umbrella. Even though there are separate organizations, they all operate to a high standard, however, this means service can vary by region.
Looking at AAA insurance reviews, many customers appreciate that they can work with insurance agents over the phone instead of through an app or via email. While AAA auto insurance might not be available in some zip codes, it can be one of the best auto insurance choices if it’s available to you. We found the cost of premiums to be middle-of-the-road and better for people with good driving records.
|Full coverage insurance option for AAA members||
Difference coverage options, quotes/claims processes, and customer service across states
|Relatively inexpensive to become an AAA member||
|Option to bundle your car insurance with home or life insurance to save money||
|Strong financial rating from AM Best|
|AAA roadside assistance included|
To learn more about this car insurance provider, check out our review of AAA car insurance.
To start comparing car insurance quotes from some of the top car insurance companies of 2021, simply enter your zip code in the tool below or call (844) 246-8209 to speak with one of our representatives:
Car Insurance Cost Factors
While each company calculates the price of its policies differently, here are a few basic factors to take into consideration:
- Driving record: This is a one of the most significant factor in the price of your car insurance. Speeding tickets, DUIs, and reckless driving all raise rates. Depending on the state, your rates can go up for the next three to seven years because of a conviction.
- Credit score: Generally, a higher score correlates to lower rates and while individuals with lower credit scores often report high auto insurance rates.
- Years of experience driving: Newer drivers are charged higher rates, while drivers with lots of experience get a break in rates. This is because younger drivers are less experienced and are at higher-risk to get into an auto accident.
- Where you live: If you live in a densely populated area with many expensive claims, your insurance will cost more even if you’re a good driver with a perfect history.
- Age: Younger drivers pay more, especially teen drivers, as they have less experience. Teens can pay two or three times what a person in their 40s would pay.
- Mileage: Lower annual mileage can mean lower premiums from many insurance companies.
- Previous insurance coverage: Companies like to see that you’ve had continuous coverage throughout your driving career. Gaps in coverage can increase your rates.
- Claims history: Claims filed within the last few years can also increase your rates.
- Gender of young drivers: Younger men are more likely to receive higher rates, but costs even out after drivers age beyond their teens.
- Type of car: Insurance companies will charge you more if you have a luxury or sports car since those cost more to fix. Family-oriented SUVs are a safer choice.
Finding Cheap Car Insurance Coverage
While there are many factors that affect the price of you car insurance policy, there are a few things that you can do to ensure you are getting the cheapest car insurance.
- Compare car insurance quotes: When you’re determining how to get cheap car insurance, you should get auto insurance quotes from a number of providers and compare your own quotes to ensure you’re paying the best price for your coverage.
- Play with you coverage limits: You can reduce your monthly premium by adjusting the coverage you have and getting rid of coverage you may not need. You may be tempted to add on optional coverage, but sticking to the basics can greatly lower your rates.
- Consider a higher deductible: Like adjusting your coverage amounts, changing your deductible can also impact your monthly insurance premiums and help you save money. If you increase your out-of-pocket deductible from $500 to $1,000, you can see a lower monthly payment.
- Look for discounts: Your car insurance costs can be drastically reduced when you are eligible for multiple discounts, which vary by state and insurance provider.
- Consider the cost of coverage before you buy a car: Before you purchase a car, it’s important to know that some cars are more expensive to insure than others. This is crucial to keep in mind, especially if you’ve been eyeing that luxury sports car. The cost to insure will depend on the year the car was made, its make and model, the cost to repair it, and the likelihood of theft and vandalism.
- Look into usage-based car insurance: The next step for how to get cheaper car insurance is to consider trying out a usage-based discount. If you drive fewer miles than the carrier’s limit, you can get a deduction for your insurance rate. This can be beneficial if you drive less than 10,000 miles per year.
- Don't forget about local and regional companies: While big car insurance companies promise you low rates, you can often still find cheaper car insurance prices when you choose a local or regional provider. Finding out how to get cheaper car insurance is often as simple as researching more providers.
- Pay your bills on time: An often overlooked step on how to get cheap car insurance is the credit score. Having good credit is a crucial factor that determines your car insurance premium in most states. To reap these benefits, pay your bills on time and reduce your debts. Pay on credit cards and car payments to keep your credit balances low.
- Improve your driving habits: One of the best ways to get affordable rates on car insurance is to keep a clean driving record. Safe drivers prove to auto insurance companies they are not at high-risk for getting into an accident. This means they will most of the time be cheaper to insure.
- Shop around every 6 months: Once you choose a car insurance policy, don’t lock yourself in. You have tons of insurance options, even after you commit to a provider. Car insurance rates change often so that companies can stay competitive and get new customers. It can be a great idea to review your policy every time it renews, whether that is every six months or every year.
When you are searching for how to get cheap car insurance, make sure to keep your options open. Compare three or more insurance providers to get a more accurate, and sometimes lower, premium. For more details, check out our full article on how to get cheap car insurance.
Final Thoughts On The Best Car Insurance
Although one provider might stand out to you now, we encourage you to get auto insurance quotes from several companies so you can find the best auto insurance for you.
The only way to know how much you will pay for car insurance is to get a quote. This is because pricing varies depending on your location, vehicle, and more. Enter your zip code to start comparing top car insurance providers in your area. Or, for an easier experience, call (844) 246-8209.
Read our other insurance articles
- Best Car Insurance For New Drivers
- Best Antique Auto Insurance
- Cheapest Full Coverage Insurance
- Best Import Car Insurance
- American Family Auto Insurance
- Best Car Insurance For Students
- United Auto Insurance
- Mr. Auto Insurance
- Baja Auto Insurance
- MIC General Insurance Review