CARCHEX has a longstanding reputation in the extended car warranty industry, but is it a good choice for your vehicle? In this review, we'll break down CARCHEX reviews from customers and look at the cost of coverage to help you decide.
We've reviewed the best extended car warranty providers, and CARCHEX was among the top two with 4.4 out of 5.0 stars. We always encourage consumers to study warranty companies for themselves, though, and this CARCHEX review can help. Unpack more information below.
In this article:
- CARCHEX Highlights
- CARCHEX Extended Warranty Plans Overview
- How Much Does A CARCHEX Warranty Cost?
- CARCHEX Reviews And Reputation
- How Does CARCHEX Work?
- Our Take On CARCHEX: 4.4 Stars
- FAQ: CARCHEX Extended Warranty
CARCHEX is one of the largest providers of vehicle service contracts in the marketplace. CARCHEX plans can last up to 10 years or 250,000 miles, making the provider an excellent used car warranty option. Here are some quick facts about the company:
- Founded: 1999
- Headquarters: Hunt Valley, Maryland
- Coverage options: Five levels of coverage, ranging from powertrain warranty coverage to more comprehensive coverage similar to a bumper-to-bumper warranty
- Coverage terms: Up to 10 years
- Endorsements: Edmunds.com, CARFAX, Kelley Blue Book, and more
CARCHEX Extended Warranty Plans Overview
CARCHEX vehicle protections plans come in five coverage levels. Plans are customizable for all vehicles – including hybrids and new or pre-owned vehicles – and each plan comes with benefits such as 24/7 roadside assistance and coverage for towing, rental cars, gas delivery, and trip interruption.
|CARCHEX Extended Warranty||Years of Coverage||Coverage Overview|
|Titanium||Up to 10||Exclusionary coverage, similar to a bumper-to-bumper warranty|
|Platinum||Up to 10||Comprehensive stated-component coverage |
|Gold||Up to 10||Coverage for most major vehicle systems, with flexible terms|
|Silver||Up to 7||Coverage for essential systems, similar to an enhanced powertrain plan|
|Bronze||Up to 6||Coverage for only the most basic, essential components|
CARCHEX partners with top-rated and fully insured administrators such as American Auto Shield and Royal Administration Services. Each of these providers is competing for your business, giving you a quality product at the best possible price. CARCHEX doesn't cover RVs and ATVs.
Here’s a closer look at the five coverage plans and sample coverage for each. (Always confirm coverage in your plan’s contract.)
The CARCHEX Titanium plan provides coverage similar to a bumper-to-bumper warranty, with a term of 7 to 10 years. Similar to your car’s factory warranty coverage, this plan covers most parts of your vehicle and has only a short list of exclusions. It’s the highest level of coverage available.
The Platinum plan covers hundreds of components and offers the most comprehensive level of stated-component coverage with a service term ranging from 5 to 10 years.
In addition to components covered in the lower-tier Gold, Silver, and Bronze plans, Platinum coverage includes:
- Suspension components such as struts, mounting plates, and the upper and lower ball joints
- Enhanced electrical components such as wiper motors and solenoids
- Heating components such as the water pump, thermostat, and radiator and mounting brackets
The Gold plan provides coverage for all major systems of your vehicle for 5 to 10 years, making it a good choice for vehicles with 60,000 miles or more. Along with coverage offered in the lower-tier Silver and Bronze plans, you will be covered for braking and steering components such as:
- Master cylinder
- Metal hydraulic lines and fittings
- Disc calipers
- Backing plates
- Braking system components
The Silver plan covers essential components of your new or pre-owned vehicle. In addition to powertrain coverage, you will be protected for fuel delivery, electrical, and air conditioning components, including parts such as:
- Fuel pump
- Fuel tank
- Ignition coil
- Air conditioning compressor
- Condenser fan
The Silver plan offers 6 to 7 years of coverage and is a good fit for high-mileage vehicles (more than 100,000 miles).
The Bronze plan provides 5 to 6 years of coverage for the major systems of your vehicle. It's designed to protect you from the most expensive and common breakdowns. You will be covered for powertrain components, including:
- Engine components such as pistons, connecting rods and bearings, crankshaft and main bearings, pushrods, valves, and timing gear
- Transmission components for an automatic or manual vehicle
- Drive axle components for front and rear parts such as those within the differential housing, transaxle housing, and final drive housing
The Bronze plan is a good choice for vehicles with 150,000 miles or more.
All CARCHEX protection plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee if you change your mind after purchasing coverage. After 30 days, you can still cancel plans at any time for a prorated refund.
How Much Does A CARCHEX Warranty Cost?
According to our research, most customers pay between $100 and $200 per month for CARCHEX warranty coverage. Total costs range from about $2,500 to $3,000 for the quotes we received, but you may find different prices based on your vehicle.
Warranty costs can vary based on the make, model, mileage, and year of your vehicle, so take advantage of free, instant quotes you can get online or direct consultations with a customer service representative over the phone. Doing so will give you the most accurate and customized quote and help you answer any questions you may have about CARCHEX costs.
An extended warranty plan is a service agreement – you pay a bit every month to save more when breakdowns and repairs happen. As far as CARCHEX prices go, mileage quotes typically range from 36,000 to 125,000 miles. For a 5-year plan costing $1,500, you can expect to pay around 2 cents per mile for coverage.
Our review team reached out to get prices for CARCHEX Titanium and Silver coverage on a variety of vehicles, and we received the following quotes:
|Vehicle||CARCHEX Warranty Plan||Term Length||Monthly Payment||Down Payment||Deductible|
|Honda CR-V||Titanium||6 years/125,000 miles||$185.20 for 18 months||First month's payment||$100|
|Chevy Silverado||Titanium||6 years/125,000 miles ||$215 for 18 months ||First month's payment ||$100 |
|Honda CR-V||Platinum||6 years/100,000 miles||$195 for 18 months||First month's payment||$100|
|Honda CR-V||Gold||6 years/100,000 miles||$192 for 18 months ||First month's payment ||$100 |
|Honda CR-V||Silver||5 years/100,000 miles||$188 for 18 months ||First month's payment ||$100 |
Plans don’t require down payments and have a maximum payment schedule of 24 months.
CARCHEX Reviews And Reputation
CARCHEX has mostly positive ratings and a solid reputation among customers. Over 1,400 CARCHEX reviews on Trustpilot give the company an average of 3.1 out of 5.0 stars. The CARCHEX customer score on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website is not quite as strong, at only 2.0 out of 5.0 stars. However, this average is based on a relatively small number of reviews (just over 130).
CARCHEX offers several options you can reach out to for assistance, including 24-hour support for contract holders. Here's how CARCHEX customer service offerings compare to those of other top warranty providers:
|Provider||24-Hour Support*||Live Chat||Telephone Support||Email Support|
*For contract holders
Positive CARCHEX Reviews
In CARCHEX reviews, happy customers often praise the company's customer service and transparency. Several customers also mention being pleased with CARCHEX pricing, especially compared to competitors' offers.
"My experience with [CARCHEX] was excellent. Their sales representative was well-informed and very professional. I highly recommend them and their product."
- Paul L. via BBB
"I had a great experience with [CARCHEX]. The salesman was very thorough when it came to explaining the coverage of the warranty. Great customer service. He even made sure that I understood all of the procedures. I originally checked with other warranty brands, but [CARCHEX] appears to be the best for me. I will be referring friends over to this company for warranties."
- Jazz H. via BBB
Negative CARCHEX Reviews
Of course, not everyone is satisfied with CARCHEX. Some customers have posted negative reviews on the BBB website regarding claims service and refunds.
"Bought an extended warranty. On October 7, 2020, CARCHEX received a complete packet from me about cancellation and told me I would be receiving a refund in 45-60 days. Here it is December 23, 2020, and I still have not received a refund."
- Jordan Kia via BBB
"I had CARCHEX warranty with top coverage. I filed a claim when my shock/strut failed. CARCHEX covers strut but not shock. Although the Mercedes dealer said that it was my strut that failed, CARCHEX called it shock and they did not want to pay for the repair."
- Basil C. via BBB
Complaints about claims are common for any extended warranty provider. These complaints come from a small fraction of CARCHEX customers. Still, read your contract carefully before purchasing an extended warranty from any provider. You can find sample contracts on the coverage options page of the CARCHEX website.
Partnerships And Accolades
It’s important to thoroughly research any third-party warranty provider to ensure the company is in good standing among industry experts and governing organizations, and to feel confident the company is legitimate and reputable.
CARCHEX maintains several partnerships with leading automotive industry experts, including CARFAX, Kelley Blue Book, Edmunds.com, and RepairPal. The company is also partnered with Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) to heighten awareness about road safety.
CARCHEX is in good standing with the BBB, holding an A+ rating. Take a look at how CARCHEX ratings compare to other popular third-party warranty companies:
|Warranty Provider||Year Founded||BBB Accreditation||BBB Rating||BBB Complaints|
|AA Auto Protection||1989||No||F||108|
*Complaints in the last three years
CARCHEX has been recognized for excellence in the media as well. It was chosen as a 2017 Top Pick by ThoroughlyReviewed and received a five-star rating from TopConsumerReviews.com for six consecutive years. BestReviewsHub.com gave the company its Best Choice Award for four consecutive years, and the Golden Bridge Awards® recognized the company’s customer service with “Silver Status” for three consecutive years.
How Does CARCHEX Work?
When you sign up for a CARCHEX extended vehicle protection plan, your contract protects you from having to pay for unforeseen breakdown repairs. A plan also comes with benefits such as:
- Freedom to choose your repair facility: Manufacturer warranties typically restrict where you can take your car, often forcing customers to go to the nearest dealership, regardless of distance. With CARCHEX warranties, you can take your vehicle to any of 30,000 licensed repair shops for an assessment by a certified mechanic. Because each plan is different, it’s a good idea to call in advance to ensure the shop is approved for your plan.
- Direct payments: CARCHEX will pay the repair costs to the shop directly, so you don’t have to worry about footing the bill. Note that some plans may come with a small deductible you must pay when you pick your car up.
How To File A Claim With CARCHEX
When your vehicle requires service, follow these three easy steps to file a claim and get back on the road:
- Gather your warranty documentation and confirm that the needed repair work is covered under your plan.
- Take your car to your preferred repair shop for diagnosis and work.
- Once repairs are complete, the repair shop will receive an authorization number for the covered repairs and CARCHEX will pay the shop directly.
CARCHEX Claims Numbers
To file a claim with CARCHEX, you need to call the administrator listed on your contract. However, if you have an issue with a claim, you can contact CARCHEX customer service at 1-877-227-2439. See below for a list of administrator phone numbers.
|CARCHEX Warranty Administrator||Claims Phone Numbers|
|Alpha Warranty Services||1-800-662-5519|
|American Auto Shield||1-800-531-1925|
|American Guardian Warranty Services||1-800-579-2233|
|Century Warranty Services||1-866-732-8503|
|Enterprise Financial Group||1-800-527-1984|
|National Administration Services Co. (Allegiance)||1-877-356-1500|
|Royal Administration Services||1-800-871-0467|
|Universal Underwriters Service Corporation||1-800-643-9059|
How To Cancel A CARCHEX Warranty
To cancel a CARCHEX warranty, you need to mail or fax a notarized odometer statement along with your request for cancellation in writing to the contract administrator. This may be American Auto Shield, Royal, or another administrator.
Our Take On CARCHEX: 4.4 Stars
We rate CARCHEX 4.4 out of 5.0 stars and recognize the company as the Best for Used Cars in 2022. CARCHEX extended warranties give consumers more choices and control over their plans, which positive CARCHEX reviews consistently highlight.
|CARCHEX Pros||CARCHEX Cons|
|Affordable plans, no haggling required||No plans specifically for motorcycles or recreational vehicles|
|Comprehensive coverage||Limited coverage for exotic cars|
|Over 30,000 approved repair shops|
|Free instant quotes|
|Roadside assistance, trip interruption, and rental car reimbursement|
CARCHEX is one of our top picks for extended warranty coverage. However, we always recommend getting at least three quotes so you can compare your options. We've reviewed all the major players in the industry and found that Endurance and CarShield are also among the best extended warranty providers.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of extended auto warranty companies to formulate rankings of the best providers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Warranty providers with a history of strong business practices and endorsements from experts receive the highest scores in this category.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of extended warranty plans available, coverage terms, and added benefits like roadside assistance.
- Cost: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of plans and vehicles. Companies with lower prices per year of coverage receive the best scores.
- Transparency: This score takes into account contract transparency and the availability of a money-back guarantee.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and perform our own shopper analysis to get a sense of the responsiveness and helpfulness of each warranty company.
Read our guides to other warranty providers:
- Continental Warranty Review
- Elite Warranty Review
- ForeverCar Warranty Review
- Omega Auto Care Review
- Delta Auto Protection Review
- Jaguar Warranty Review
- MasterTech Warranty Protection Program Review
- RED Auto Protection Review
- Old Republic Insured Automotive Services Review
- Ally Extended Warranty Review
- Gold Standard Automotive Network Extended Warranties
- National Vehicle Protection Services Review