What Is A Certified Pre-Owned Subaru?
When Subarus are traded into the Subaru dealership, some are eligible to be resold under the title “certified pre-owned.” To be eligible for CPO status, vehicles must be newer than 5 model years old and have fewer than 80,000 miles on the odometer.
If a Subaru meets these criteria, it undergoes a 152-point safety inspection. Any part or component that doesn’t meet rigorous safety standards is repaired or replaced. Subaru then includes a warranty that guarantees these vehicles meet the Subaru workmanship standards.
Subaru CPO Warranty Coverage
The Subaru certified pre-owned warranty does not offer quite the same level of coverage as the Subaru new vehicle warranty. The CPO warranty only covers the powertrain components like the engine and transfer case and lasts for 7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.
This warranty is transferable with a $35 fee, has a $0 deductible, and includes 24/7 roadside assistance.
In addition to warranty coverage, all certified pre-owned Subarus come with:
- $500 loyalty coupon
- Carfax Vehicle History Report
- One-year trial subscription to Starlink in-vehicle multimedia services
- Three-month trial subscription to SiriusXM®
Extending Subaru CPO Warranty Coverage
Any Subaru still covered by the basic 3-year/36,000-mile warranty is eligible for the Subaru Added Security® extended service agreement, which has plan options up to 10 years and 100,000 miles. These plans provide comprehensive coverage after your Subaru CPO warranty expires and include towing and rental benefits. Drivers can choose between two plans and a $0 or $100 deductible. The two plan options are:
- Classic: A powertrain warranty that covers major parts including the engine, all-wheel drive, and transmission
- Gold Plus: A more comprehensive policy that covers everything in the Classic plan, plus the air conditioning, electrical, steering, front suspension, brakes, and more
Another option for extending coverage for Subaru certified pre-owned vehicles is to purchase an extended warranty from a third-party provider.
Third-party warranties are often less expensive than manufacturer-backed plans and offer a broader range of coverage options. You can purchase a third-party warranty at any time, so if your Subaru’s original warranty has already expired, you can still get extended coverage.
Top Recommendations For Subaru CPO Warranty Coverage
If you purchase a CPO Subaru, there is a chance that you are no longer eligible to purchase extended warranty coverage from the manufacturer. While your Subaru CPO warranty will include powertrain coverage, you may want to add protection for more vehicle components or for a longer period of time.
To fully cover your vehicle, consider third-party extended warranty options. Our review team has taken a close look at the best extended car warranty companies, comparing factors like cost, customer service, and more. Based on our research, two companies we highly recommend are Endurance and CarShield.
Endurance opened its doors in 2006 and is headquartered in Northbrook, Illinois. It has grown into one of the largest extended auto warranty providers in the country, offering a wide range of coverage options and exceptional benefits. Coverage levels offered by Endurance include:
- Secure: Affordable coverage for powertrain components such as the engine, transmission, and transaxle
- Secure Plus: Offers the shortest waiting period, powertrain coverage, and protection for certain electrical components
- Select Premier: Designed for high-mileage vehicles (up to 150,000 miles) and covers everything included in the Secure plan, as well as the electrical, cooling, air conditioning, and fuel systems
- Superior: Provides the highest level of stated-component coverage and protects most vehicle systems and components
- Supreme: An exclusionary coverage plan that includes nearly all vehicle components, minus select exclusions
Learn more about this provider by reading our full Endurance review, and see how much an Endurance warranty would cost for your Subaru by getting a free, personalized quote below.
CarShield is a reputable provider that has been around since 2005 and provides a wide range of coverage options for Subarus. CarShield coverages are listed below:
- Diamond: This plan is comparable to a manufacturer’s warranty. It is exclusionary, and the contract lists only parts not covered.
- Platinum: The Platinum plan is the highest level of inclusionary coverage. It covers items that are part of the engine, transmission, cooling system, electrical system, steering, air conditioning, brake system, and more.
- Gold: This plan offers enhanced powertrain coverage. In addition to the engine, transmission, and drive axle, it covers the alternator, starter, power window motor, and more.
- Silver: This is CarShield’s basic powertrain plan. It covers all lubricated engine parts and the drive axle, transmission, and water pump.
- Aluminum: This plan is designed for luxury vehicles and vehicles with complex electronic systems.
Learn more about CarShield in our full review.
Subaru Certified Pre-Owned Warranty Plans: FAQ
Here are some commonly asked questions about Subaru CPO warranties: