Ram’s extended warranty is fulfilled by Mopar®, a parts, services, and customer care division of Stellantis. Unlike Ram’s factory warranty, the Ram extended warranty is not actually a warranty – it’s an extended service contract. Functionally, a service contract is pretty much the same, but it’s technically a separately purchased contract that says Ram will pay for certain repairs if something goes wrong within a specified timeframe or mileage limit.
For your Ram truck, you can choose between two Mopar® Vehicle Protection Plans. Maximum CareSM covers nearly everything from the factory warranty for up to 8 years/125,000 miles. Added Care Plus is a cheaper option that covers most major systems for up to 8 years/150,000 miles, plus the engine and transmission.
For further context of Ram extended warranty options, the graphic below shows the major differences between the two most popular coverage choices in the extended warranty industry: the bumper-to-bumper contract and the powertrain plan.
Extended warranties can be purchased whether you have a new or pre-owned Ram, but there are stipulations for each:
- Extended warranties are only available for new vehicles within 3 years/36,000 miles of the original in-service date. After another 1 year or 12,000 miles, there’s a surcharge.
- Vehicles that are already covered by a certified pre-owned warranty and have less than 75,000 miles are eligible for extended warranty coverage.
- Pre-owned vehicles younger than 10-model-years old and under 150,000 miles are eligible for an extended Ram warranty.
Ram extended warranties also offer:
- Some rental car coverage
- Trip interruption protection
- Roadside assistance
- Key replacement
What Ram Customers Say
In 2023, our team surveyed 1,000 people from across the country who had purchased an extended warranty from the manufacturer. The survey respondents included 10 people with Ram extended warranties. While it’s a small number of people, they provided some useful comments on their satisfaction:
- “I am very satisfied with the warranty coverage.”
- “I am satisfied but it could be better.”
- “I’m not satisfied. It takes forever for them to approve repairs.”
Ram Certified Pre-Owned Warranty
Ram’s certified pre-owned warranty extends the original Ram powertrain warranty up to 7 years/100,000 miles, which is a sizable 2-year increase.
However, when it comes to the bumper-to-bumper warranty, Ram hardly extends the warranty at all. If you buy a certified pre-owned Ram, you’ll only get a 3-month/3,000-mile extension on the original warranty.
Ram does offer full transferability to the next owner, however, which is a nice perk.
Pros And Cons Of Ram Extended Warranties
If you want to keep your vehicle protected, an extended warranty from Ram can offer peace of mind: You know your vehicle will be serviced by Ram technicians, and you’ll always get original manufacturer parts.
However, there’s not much flexibility in terms of plan options and eligibility, and you’re severely limited as to where you can get your vehicle serviced since you can only go to Ram service centers.