Whether you’re looking for a new GMC, thinking of buying one used, or are a current owner, protecting your vehicle should be top of mind. A GMC extended warranty is one way to do so.
While the GMC factory warranty is comprehensive, it’s essential to understand its limitations in order to protect yourself from unforeseen costs after it expires.
Read on for a full breakdown of the GMC warranty and our recommendations for extended warranties. We’ll also explain the differences between GMC extended warranties offered at dealerships and those from the best car warranty companies.
GMC Extended Warranty: Coverage
GMC offers a limited 5-year/60,000-mile powertrain warranty along with services detailed below. The GMC extended warranty goes into effect after the factory warranty ends at 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first.
|GMC Extended Warranty||Coverage Terms|
|Extended Limited Warranty||5 years/60,000 miles|
|Platinum Protection Plan||2 years/24,000 miles up to 5 years/60,000 miles|
GMC Extended Warranty Plans
GMC offers two extended warranty plans for used vehicles. Below is a detailed description of the specific coverage terms for the GMC extended limited warranty and the Platinum Protection Plan.
GMC Powertrain Limited Warranty
GMC offers drivers the option of extending their bumper-to-bumper warranty during the new car purchase process with an extended limited warranty.
Here are a few key details:
- Offered only when you purchase your vehicle
- Is an extension of your factory bumper-to-bumper coverage
- Pushes coverage to 5 years/60,000 miles
- Not available in California, Florida, Maine, or Minnesota
- Pricing available only through dealerships
- Transferable to a new owner if you sell your vehicle
GMC Platinum Extended Warranty
GMC also offers its customers a vehicle service contract administered by third-party company AMT Warranty Corp. This GMC extended warranty option can be purchased from a dealer or online, and it can be broken up into monthly payments or paid for upfront.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Offered on new, used, and currently owned GMC vehicles
- Maximum contract length is 5 years/60,000 miles
- Not quite bumper-to-bumper coverage
- Deductible required to receive repair services
- Transferable to new owners
- Two levels of coverage available: Platinum (exclusionary) and Silver (stated component)
GMC Extended Warranty: Cost
Warranty costs are dependent upon the make, model, mileage, and year of your vehicle. Due to this, you should contact your local dealership to get a GMC extended warranty quote. Doing so will give you the most accurate estimate and will help you to answer any questions about the cost of a GMC extended warranty before you make a purchase.
GMC Extended Warranty Prices
We pulled a few pricing examples for a 2019 GMC Acadia with all-wheel drive in Nevada:
- 24 months/24,000 miles: $1,543
- 36 months/36,000 miles: $2,451
- 48 months/48,000 miles: $3,197
- 60 months/60,000 miles: $3,153
Is A GMC Extended Warranty Worth It?
Whether or not a GMC extended warranty is worth it depends on a variety of factors, including existing coverage, vehicle reliability, maintenance costs, and the quality of the extended warranty itself.
When looking at the long-term investment you make when purchasing a vehicle, it’s important to consider all possible scenarios. To help you determine whether or not a GMC extended warranty is the right choice, we’ll look at each of these factors in detail.
GMC Factory Warranty
First, consider your existing coverage when shopping for a vehicle service contract. A GMC extended warranty will only take effect after the original factory warranty expires, so make sure you’re only purchasing essential coverage.
GMC has a relatively comprehensive warranty, but it only lasts for the first few years of vehicle ownership. Below are some details about your GMC manufacturer’s warranty:
|GMC Warranty||What It Covers|
|New Vehicle Limited Warranty||GMC provides “bumper-to-bumper” comprehensive coverage for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. This means almost all of the vehicle is protected, with just a short list of exclusions.|
|Powertrain Limited Warranty||This warranty covers powertrain components like the engine, transmission, and driveline for 5 years or 60,000 miles.|
|Corrosion Protection||GMC offers protection from elemental rust formation on sheet metal for a period of 3 years or 36,000 miles. This protection is designed to protect against rust from the outside moving inside.|
|Rust-Through Protection||GMC offers protection from rust and corrosion on sheet metal that spread inside to outside for 6 years or 100,000 miles. This coverage does not include rust from road salts, etc.|
|Roadside Assistance||24/7 roadside assistance is available throughout the 5-year/60,000-mile warranty period.|
|Courtesy Transportation||Whenever warranty repairs are needed, several transportation options and/or reimbursement of certain transportation expenses are available for your convenience.|
GMC Factory Warranty Exclusions
Although the GMC factory warranty is comprehensive for a short time, keep in mind that not everything is covered. Typically, a warranty is in place to cover defects in quality, assembly, or workmanship and not things beyond GMC’s control. These factors include:
- Regular maintenance (oil, tire rotation, etc.)
- Tire defects (tire manufacturers have their own warranties)
- Damage caused by neglect
- Wear-and-tear items (brake pads, tires, etc.)
According to the J.D. Power 2022 U.S. Vehicle Dependability StudySM, GMC ranks 17th out of 32 automakers in initial quality. GMC has traditionally been known for its durability, but certain models have begun to slip in reliability ratings over the years.
The systems that make up GMC models are complex and often quite expensive – leading to potentially hefty repair bills down the line if drivers don’t have proper coverage.
GMC Maintenance Costs
In addition to any existing coverage, you should consider the cost of GMC repairs when deciding if a GMC extended warranty is worth it. Costly repairs can break the bank when paid entirely out of pocket. Because one or two repairs covered by extended coverage can pay for the entire contract cost, a GMC extended warranty often saves drivers money.
Are GMC Parts Expensive?
Let’s take a look at the price of some of the most common replacement parts for GMC cars. According to RepairPal, here are some common repairs and replacement costs for GMC:
- Radiator fan assembly replacement on a GMC Acadia: $1,021 to $1,131
- Water pump replacement on a GMC Sierra: $953 to $1,140
- Head gasket repair on a GMC Yukon: $1,521 to $1,699
GMC Extended Warranty Reviews
In addition to covering all vehicle components and systems, a GMC extended warranty comes with something critical: peace of mind. It’s your protection against having to budget for costly repairs after the warranty expires.
Whether you purchase an extended warranty from GMC or from a recommended reputable extended car warranty company, investing in GMC extended coverage provides protection against costly repair bills. Dealerships will want you to buy a manufacturer’s extended warranty, but it’s good to research all possible options before purchasing.
GMC Aftermarket Warranty
Third-party extended warranty companies are more flexible and offer drivers greater coverage options than automaker warranties. Unlike coverage straight from GMC, many providers will cover vehicles for up to 200,000 miles and offer five or six specific levels of coverage.
Some independent warranty companies also have perks such as roadside assistance, rental car reimbursement, and towing, so you’ll want to read the fine print when comparing policies. According to our survey, the median cost of an extended warranty is $2,458.
Best GMC Extended Warranty Choices
After we analyzed these factory plans, we believe that third-party companies like Endurance, CarShield, and CARCHEX offer better extended warranties for GMC owners. These companies provide more customizable plans to fit your budget while offering similar protection to ensure your peace of mind. Plus, coverage can be much less expensive.
What’s The Best Extended Car Warranty For GMC?
You should compare coverage and prices to find the best overall policy. Below is a comparison of the GMC extended warranty with some of the industry’s best extended warranty plans. We recommend getting at least three quotes from third-party extended warranty companies before making a final decision.
|GMC Extended Warranty||CARCHEX||Endurance||CarShield|
|Max Length of Coverage||5 years/60,000 miles||10 years/250,000 miles||8 years/200,000+ miles||300,000 miles|
|# of Plan Options||$2||5||6||6|
|Repair Network||GMC dealers only||> 30,000 facilities nationwide||ASE-Certified® repair facilities||ASE-Certified repair facilities|
|Cancellation Policy||Refund if within 60 days||Refund if within 30 days||Refund if within 30 days||Refund if within 30 days|
|Availability||From local dealer||Free, instant quote||Free, instant quote||Free, instant quote|
GMC Extended Warranties: Conclusion
This article reviewed GMC extended warranties and compared their cost and coverage with leading third-party vehicle service contracts. Our research shows that buying a third-party extended warranty for your GMC can save you money and reduce hassle.
GMC Extended Warranty: Recommended Providers
After purchasing your GMC, make sure to get at least three quotes if you’re shopping for an extended warranty. We recommend Endurance, CarShield, and CARCHEX for GMC due to their coverage options, affordable extended warranty plans, and customer service.
Endurance: Best Coverage
In our review of the best extended car warranty providers, Endurance came out on top. The company offers direct-to-consumer extended warranties. This means that, unlike many third-party brokers across the industry, warranty services come directly from Endurance. There’s no go-between or underwritten provider.
Many positive Endurance warranty reviews focus on customer service during the quote and claims processes. A few benefits include:
- High-mileage options: Endurance plans can cover up to 200,000+ miles, meaning that your car is covered well into the years when expensive repairs are often needed.
- Flexibility on repair facilities: Endurance allows customers to have their cars serviced by any technician certified by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE®), meaning that you can choose from thousands of repair shops across the country.
- Money-back guarantee: If you’re not happy with your Endurance plan, you can cancel within the first 30 days of purchase.
Read more: Endurance warranty review
CarShield: Best Monthly Payments
CarShield offers the type of flexibility that modern consumers demand and has proven to be a popular choice since opening its doors in 2005. Over 1 million consumers have trusted their vehicle protection to CarShield. The company’s extended warranty plans span six levels of coverage, from comprehensive bumper-to-bumper offerings to coverage for basic powertrain components.
CarShield has a huge number of online reviews from customers all over the country. Based on our comprehensive research, here are a few perks:
- Month-to-month contracts: Many of the company’s plans are month-to-month, making it much easier to work the warranty into your budget.
- Claims paid directly to repair facilities: Like Endurance, CarShield pays claims directly to auto repair facilities, so there’s no need to front your own cash.
- Coverage for high-tech components: CarShield offers additional security with its high-tech coverage option. This plan protects your GMC’s state-of-the-art systems, including the engine control module and navigation system, along with electrical components like the factory audio, alternator, and power window controls.
Read more: CarShield review
CARCHEX: Best For Used Cars
When we took a look at CARCHEX, we were impressed by the number of options for customization throughout its five levels of coverage. Plans range from comprehensive coverage to the most basic components required to keep your car running smoothly.
CARCHEX has a reputable customer service department and has Better Business Bureau (BBB) accreditation along with an A+ rating. Purchasing a CARCHEX extended warranty comes with the following perks:
- Your choice of repair facilities: All CARCHEX plans allow you to select from more than 30,000 certified repair shops across the U.S. The company pays your claim upfront, never forcing you to front the money for repairs.
- Emergency roadside assistance: Every CARCHEX plan comes with 24/7 roadside assistance. This includes allowances for towing and rental cars, trip interruption services, and gas deliveries.
- Outstanding customer care: CARCHEX prides itself on its customer-centric approach and won’t hassle or use high-pressure tactics to force a decision. CARCHEX representatives are trained to consult potential customers, identifying and outlining the details of the best plan options based on their needs and budgets.
Read more: CARCHEX review
GMC Extended Warranty: FAQ
Below are some frequently asked questions from consumers about the GMC extended warranty.