Finding providers for car shipping in San Francisco is relatively easy since it’s one of the largest cities in Northern California. In this guide, we’ll walk you through how to ship a car to or from the City by the Bay.
We’ve reviewed the best car shipping companies in the country, and we’ve narrowed our list to the top choices for auto transport to and from San Francisco. To get the best deal on your shipment, compare quotes from providers before choosing one.
5 Best San Francisco Car Shipping Companies
Below are our top five companies for car shipping in San Francisco. We chose them based on their variety of shipping services and discounts, as well as customer reviews on websites like Google and the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
Montway Auto Transport: Best Overall
BBB rating: A+
Cost of open car transport for 1,500 miles: $979
Montway Auto Transport has built an excellent reputation in the last 15 years by offering services like door-to-door shipping at affordable prices. In addition to affordable rates, the shipping has convenient options including expedited delivery and guaranteed pickup dates. The company is accredited by the BBB and holds an A+ rating from the organization. Customer reviews on the BBB’s site are largely positive, giving Montway an average rating of 4.6 out of 5.0 stars.
Read our Montway Auto Transport review for more information.
Easy Auto Ship: Best For A Quick Pickup
BBB rating: A+
Cost of open car transport for 1,500 miles: $1,198
One perk that makes Easy Auto Ship stand out is its guaranteed pricing. This means when you use the broker for car shipping in San Francisco, you won’t have to worry about sudden price changes or hidden fees. Plus, if your shipment takes more than 14 days, Easy Auto Ship will pay for a rental car. The BBB gives Easy Auto Ship an A+, and customers give the transport broker an average of 4.6 stars.
Discover more with our full Easy Auto Ship review.
AmeriFreight: Best Discounts
BBB rating: A+
Cost of open car transport for 1,500 miles: $884
On top of its affordable prices, AmeriFreight offers an array of discounts for customers such as first responders, military members, and senior citizens. The broker has earned thousands of positive reviews during its nearly 20 years in the industry, so it could be a great option for cheap car shipping in San Francisco.
Read our AmeriFreight review for more info.
Sherpa Auto Transport: Locked-In Prices
BBB rating: A+
Cost of open car transport for 1,500 miles: $1,000
Sherpa Auto Transport’s biggest selling point may be its Price Lock Promise, which says the price you’re quoted is the price you’ll pay. If the rate isn’t enough to secure a carrier truck, Sherpa will pay up to $300 of the difference to ensure your vehicle gets picked up. This generosity toward customers may be why the company has received hundreds of positive reviews across Google and the BBB website and why it could be the right pick for car shipping in San Francisco.
Take a look at our Sherpa Auto Transport review to learn more.
uShip: Best Car Shipping Marketplace
BBB rating: A+
Cost of open car transport for 1,500 miles: $1,059
Rather than an auto transport broker, uShip is an online shipping marketplace. Customers can post their auto shipping requests on uShip’s platform and compare free quotes from several car haulers at the same time. Carriers bid on the jobs, giving customers a little more control over pricing. Customers appreciate having a little more say, and they rate uShip 4.6 stars on average.
Discover more about the marketplace with our full uShip review.
Other San Francisco Car Shipping Companies
If you’re relocating to or from San Francisco and want a company that’s familiar with the area, consider transport services from a company based in the city.
San Francisco Car Transport
Located in the Mission District and founded in 2006, San Francisco Car Transport provides car shipping services in the Bay Area and beyond. The transport broker offers door-to-door delivery, open and enclosed auto transport, and nationwide shipping – including to Alaska and Hawaii.
Visit San Francisco Car Transport’s website to learn more and get an instant quote.
How Much Does Car Shipping Cost in San Francisco?
Given the city’s size, it can be relatively easy to find cheap car shipping in San Francisco and neighboring areas such as Oakland and San Jose. To find the best price, get car shipping quotes online from a few service providers.
San Francisco Car Shipping Cost Estimates
Below are some common auto shipping routes to and from San Francisco, along with estimates for transporting an operable 2020 Honda Civic.
|San Francisco||Los Angeles||383||$695|
|Las Vegas||San Francisco||569||$855|
*The average cost estimate combines quotes from Easy Auto Ship and Montway Auto Transport.
Factors That Affect Car Shipping Costs
Car shipping costs fluctuate based on a number of different factors, including:
- Shipping distance: Long-distance and cross-country shipping costs less per mile but more overall.
- Type of vehicle: Large vehicles such as SUVs and trucks cost more to transport because they’re heavier and take up more space.
- Pickup and drop-off locations: Shipping to or from rural areas takes more time, fuel, and mileage than shipping to urban locations like Miami and Los Angeles.
- Time frame: While many auto transport companies offer expedited shipping for a higher price, you’ll pay a lot less if your shipping dates are flexible.
- Vehicle condition: Inoperable vehicles require more labor to load onto carrier trucks, so transporting them is more expensive.
- Shipping season: Car shipping costs rise during January and the summer because demand for auto transport increases during those times of year.
- Gas prices: As fuel prices increase, so does the price of shipping.
- Type of transport: Open carrier transport is the cheapest shipping option, but it can leave your vehicle exposed to road debris and bad weather conditions. Enclosed carrier transport is better for luxury vehicles and classic cars, but it can often cost up to 50 percent more.
What To Expect When Shipping A Car In San Francisco
Shipping cars to and from San Francisco is easy, for the most part. The city has mild weather year round and extensive infrastructure, which makes most routes into and out of the city very accessible. Door-to-door delivery in San Francisco may be tricky, though, as the city is famously hilly. A larger carrier truck may have a hard time finding an appropriate place to park.
Traffic can also get pretty bad when drivers are crossing the Golden Gate Bridge, as the City by the Bay is only 10 miles across but home to nearly 900,000 people. It’s best to have a flexible shipping schedule. That way, the auto shipper can transport your car in San Francisco with minimal hassle.
Car Shipping In San Francisco: FAQ
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of car shipping companies to formulate rankings of the best transporters. Providers receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Reputation: Shippers with a history of strong business practices and endorsements from experts receive the highest scores in this category.
- Cost: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of auto shipping routes, distances, and vehicles. Companies with lower prices and many discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Services: This rating is based on types of auto transport services available, insurance coverage, and the ability to guarantee pickup and drop-off dates.
- Customer Experience: We comb through customer reviews and perform our own shopper analysis to get a sense of the responsiveness and helpfulness of each car transporter.