Whether you’re shipping a car from an online dealer in Santa Monica or relocating to Hollywood to pursue your dreams, car shipping in Los Angeles can be easy. Because L.A. is both the largest city in Southern California and the second-largest metropolitan area in the country, nearly all car shipping companies have routes to and from the city.
Once you know the details of how to ship a car, shop around for a great deal. We’ve reviewed the best car shipping companies in the country to help you find the right fit for your vehicle shipping needs.
5 Best Los Angeles Car Shipping Companies
There are many providers that could be great for car shipping in Los Angeles. Below are the top five companies we’ve chosen based on their services, costs, and customer satisfaction reviews. Most of the auto shipping companies featured below ship to any of the 50 states, including Alaska and Hawaii. Sherpa Auto Transport ships to the Lower 48.
Montway Auto Transport: Best Overall
Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating: A+
Cost of open car transport for 1,500 miles: $979
Montway Auto Transport is one of the top car shipping companies in the country because of its affordable prices and long list of shipping services. The transport broker’s wide variety of car transport services includes open and closed auto transport, expedited delivery, and door-to-door shipping. Montway is accredited by the BBB and holds an A+ from the organization. Customers on the BBB’s site rate the company an average of 4.6 out of 5.0 stars.
Read our Montway Auto Transport review for more information.
uShip: Best Car Shipping Marketplace
BBB rating: A+
Cost of open car transport for 1,500 miles: $1,059
This online auto transport marketplace could be a cost-effective option for car shipping in Los Angeles. With uShip, customers can post shipping requests and compare free quotes from several car haulers. Customers like having more control over pricing, which has helped uShip earn an average of 4.6 out of 5.0 stars on the BBB’s website.
Learn more about the marketplace with our full uShip review.
AmeriFreight: Best Discounts
BBB rating: A+
Cost of open car transport for 1,500 miles: $884
AmeriFreight offers a number of car shipping services for vehicles headed into or out of the Los Angeles area. The shipping broker also offers discounts to service members, first responders, senior citizens, and more. AmeriFreight’s competitive prices make it a popular choice for car shipping in Los Angeles.
Read our AmeriFreight review for more details.
Easy Auto Ship: Best For A Quick Pickup
BBB rating: A+
Cost of open car transport for 1,500 miles: $1,198
With Easy Auto Ship’s guaranteed pricing, you won’t have to worry about any hidden fees or sudden cost increases for car shipping in Los Angeles. And if your shipment takes more than 14 days, Easy Auto Ship will reimburse you for the cost of a rental car. The company holds an A+ rating from the BBB and an average customer rating of 4.6.
Learn more with our full Easy Auto Ship review.
Sherpa Auto Transport: Locked-In Prices
BBB rating: A+
Cost of open car transport for 1,500 miles: $1,000
By offering its Price Lock Promise, Sherpa Auto Transport has gained a high standing in the auto transport industry in a short amount of time. Sherpa protects your peace of mind by ensuring the quoted price will be the final cost of your shipment. If your quoted price isn’t enough to secure a car carrier, the company will pay up to $300 of the difference to make sure your vehicle gets picked up. The hundreds of positive reviews across Google and the BBB website indicate Sherpa could be an excellent choice for car shipping in Los Angeles.
Check out our Sherpa Auto Transport review to learn more.
Other Los Angeles Car Shipping Companies
As you research providers, consider this local option for car shipping in Los Angeles:
Coastal Car Transport
Coastal Car Transport offers vehicle shipping services nationwide. This Burbank-based auto transport company ships standard sedans, as well as motorcycles, ATVs, and boats. Coastal Car Transport holds a perfect 5.0-star average customer rating on the BBB site, which means it might be a good option for car shipping in Los Angeles.
Learn more about Coastal Car Transport by visiting the company’s website.
How Much Does Car Shipping In Los Angeles Cost?
Los Angeles is the biggest city in Southern California – and one of the biggest cities in the country – so cheap car shipping services to and from the area are pretty easy to find. To ensure you’re getting the best price for your vehicle transport, get car shipping quotes online from a few auto transport companies.
Los Angeles Car Shipping Cost Estimates
Below are some of the most popular shipping routes to and from Los Angeles. We got quotes for shipping an operable 2020 Honda Civic.
|Los Angeles||Las Vegas||270 miles||$527|
|Oakland||Los Angeles||370 miles||$533|
|Los Angeles||Dallas||1,436 miles||$1,036|
|Chicago||Los Angeles||2,015 miles||$1,364|
|Los Angeles||Washington, D.C.||2,668 miles||$1,641|
*Average cost estimates combine quotes from Montway Auto Transport and uShip.
Factors That Affect Car Shipping Costs
Car shipping costs fluctuate based on various factors, including the ones below.
- Shipping distance: Cross-country or long-distance shipments cost less per mile but more in total.
- Gas prices: As the price of fuel increases, so does the price of shipping.
- Pickup and delivery locations: Shipping to urban locations is cheaper, as shipping to rural areas takes more time, mileage, and fuel.
- Time frame: While many auto transport companies offer expedited shipping for a higher price, you’ll pay a lot less if you book at least a couple weeks out.
- Type of vehicle: Heavier and larger vehicles cost more to transport because they take up more space on trucks.
- Vehicle condition: If your car is inoperable, it may require extra equipment and labor to load onto the carrier truck.
- Seasonality: Demand for auto transport increases during January and the summer, so car shipping costs increase during those times of year.
- Type of transport: If you’re shipping a luxury vehicle or classic car, you might want the extra protection of an enclosed carrier, though it can be 50 percent more expensive than open auto transport.
What To Expect When Shipping A Car In Los Angeles
Los Angeles is an enormous city surrounded by a large number of cities. Traffic is notoriously difficult, so you may want to factor in extra time for your shipment. However, because L.A. is a major city, finding a shipping route to or from the area is very easy.
Unlike other major cities such as New York or San Francisco, Los Angeles is fairly spacious. That means most carriers that offer door-to-door delivery won’t have too much hassle accessing pickup or drop-off locations. Due to Los Angeles’ year-round sunny weather, you won’t typically have to worry about rainy skies or snow storms getting in the way of your shipment.
Car Shipping In Los Angeles: FAQ
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of car shipping companies to formulate rankings of the best transporters. Providers receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Reputation: Shippers with a history of strong business practices and endorsements from experts receive the highest scores in this category.
- Cost: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of shipping routes, distances, and vehicles. Companies with lower prices and many discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Services: This rating is based on types of auto transport services available, insurance coverage, and the ability to guarantee pick-up and dropoff dates.
- Customer Experience: We comb through customer reviews and perform our own shopper analysis to get a sense of the responsiveness and helpfulness of each car transporter.