Houston is a massive city covering more than 600 square miles, which means shipping your car into or out of the city could be a headache.
We’ve reviewed the best car shipping companies in the country to help you make the right choice for your needs. In this article, we’ll cover your options, how much you can expect to pay, and which companies we recommend for car shipping in Houston.
5 Best Houston Auto Shipping Companies
Our top picks for car shipping in Houston offer affordable rates and a variety of transport options.
Montway Auto Transport: Best Overall
Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating: A+
Cost of open car transport for 1,500 miles: $979
Montway Auto Transport was founded in 2007 and has become a leader in the vehicle transport industry. Montway’s extensive network of trusted carriers, a strong reputation for customer satisfaction, and options for guaranteed pickup dates make the transport broker a top choice for Houston car shipping services.
Read more: Montway Auto Transport review
Sherpa Auto Transport: Locked-In Prices
BBB rating: A+
Cost of open car transport for 1,500 miles: $1,000
Since its founding in 2017, Sherpa Auto Transport has grown to be a top car transportation service. The transport broker’s Price Lock Promise adds extra peace of mind to the vehicle shipping process. In addition, its customer review average of 4.9 out of 5.0 stars on the BBB’s site reflects its reputation for excellent customer service.
Read more: Sherpa Auto Transport review
AmeriFreight: Best Discounts
BBB rating: A+
Cost of open car transport for 1,500 miles: $884
With its affordable prices, AmeriFreight is a great option for car shipping in Houston. The company’s competitive rates are made even better by its wide range of discounts, including these:
- Returning customers
- Senior citizens
- First responders
- Active-duty military
Read more: AmeriFreight review
Easy Auto Ship: Best For A Quick Pickup
BBB rating: A+
Cost of open car transport for 1,500 miles: $1,198
Easy Auto Ship stands out from the car shipping competition with real-time shipment updates from dedicated agents and perks such as car wash reimbursements. The transport broker also offers discounts to veterans and active-duty military members.
Read more: Easy Auto Ship review
uShip: Best Car Shipping Marketplace
BBB score: A+
Cost of open car transport for 1,500 miles: $1,059
Being one of the largest online shipping marketplaces makes uShip a great place to find a deal on car shipping in Houston. You can get especially great prices through uShip if you’re flexible on pickup and delivery dates.
Read more: uShip review
How Much Does Car Shipping Cost In Houston?
The cost of car shipping in Houston depends on several factors, including the pickup and drop-off locations and the distance. Shipments along popular routes tend to cost less, and the per-mile rate for vehicle shipping goes down as the distance increases.
Houston Car Shipping Cost Estimates
Here are some cost estimates for popular car shipping routes to and from Houston:
|Houston||New York City||1,640||$1,266|
*The average cost estimates combine quotes from Montway Auto Transport and uShip.
Factors That Affect Car Shipping Costs
Auto shipping rates can vary significantly depending on a range of factors, including:
- Type of vehicle: Larger SUVs, luxury vehicles, and classic cars are more expensive to ship than standard cars.
- Shipping distance: A longer route will result in a cheaper per-mile rate but a higher overall vehicle shipping cost.
- Time of year: Vehicle shipping rates are highest in January and during the summer because more people ship during these times.
- Transport type: Open and enclosed transport are your two basic shipping options. While enclosed haulers offer more protection from weather and road debris, they come with a higher cost.
Car shipping costs will also be higher if you want expedited service, additional insurance, or single-vehicle transport.
What To Expect When Shipping A Car In Houston
The largest city in Texas and the fourth-largest in the United States, Houston is a global business hub. Many Fortune 500 companies call it home, and the Port of Houston is one of the busiest in the country.
Considering what a bustling city Houston is, traffic can be a serious concern. That’s why it’s good to be flexible with pickup and delivery times when arranging your vehicle shipment to or from Houston. You could save yourself significant stress when your shipment date arrives.
Car Shipping In Houston: FAQ
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of car shipping companies to formulate rankings of the best transporters. Providers receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Reputation: Shippers with a history of strong business practices and endorsements from experts receive the highest scores in this category.
- Cost: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of shipping routes, distances, and vehicles. Companies with lower prices and many discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Services: This rating is based on types of auto transport services available, insurance coverage, and the ability to guarantee pick-up and dropoff dates.
- Customer Experience: We comb through customer reviews and perform our own shopper analysis to get a sense of the responsiveness and helpfulness of each car transporter.